IceBear wrote:Yeah in hindsight that's what we should have done. Been upset with ourselves over that obvious oversight all day... Common sense was forgotten
naednek wrote:For those who are wondering.... the chances of a someone to have CF is 25%. We thought long and hard about it, and decided to take the chance. It's a very good chance that he/she wouldn't have CF.
Carpet_pissr wrote:naednek wrote:For those who are wondering.... the chances of a someone to have CF is 25%. We thought long and hard about it, and decided to take the chance. It's a very good chance that he/she wouldn't have CF.
Wait what? You might want to check the stats on that again. According to the March of Dimes, "about 1 in 3,500 babies are born with CF (2), which affects about 30,000 children and adults in the United States (1, 3)"
That's .03% (thank you, Wolfram Alpha!) Unless you are outside the US, in which case those stats are meaningless, but still, can't imagine it would be THAT much higher?
If I have one CF mutation, can my children have CF?
Yes. If you have one copy of a CF gene mutation, your child may have CF. However, your child will only have CF if your child’s other parent also has one copy of a CF gene mutation. This means that both of you are carriers.
Each child you have together has a 25 percent, or 1 in 4, chance of having CF. If one parent is a carrier and the other parent’s genetic test is negative for a CF gene mutation (or if there is no information on whether or not he or she is a carrier), there is still a slight chance the child could have CF. Your doctor or a genetic counselor can tell you about your chances of having a child with CF
he possible combinations that two CF carriers can pass onto their child are:
Normal CFTR from mom + Mutation from dad = Carrier
Normal CFTR from dad + Mutation from mom = Carrier
Normal CFTR from mom + Normal CFTR from dad = Not a carrier and does not have CF
Mutated CFTR from mom + Mutated CFTR from dad = Has cystic fibrosis
Broken down into odds, if the parents are both carriers, your child has a 25% chance of having CF, a 50% chance of being a carrier, and a 25% chance of neither having nor carrying CF.
If your partner is not a CF carrier, it will be impossible for your child to have CF because he can only inherit normal copies of the CFTR gene from your partner. However, your child will have a 25% chance of being a carrier, which would occur if he received the mutated CFTR gene from you. Meaning he could pass it on to his children.