Netflix is irritating me

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

pr0ner

Re: Netflix is irritating me

Post by pr0ner »

Carpet_pissr wrote:
pr0ner wrote:As others have said, there's still content issues, too. Almost seems like you need Netflix AND Amazon Prime (and maybe Hulu) in order to stream everything you'd really want.
With the exception of the incoming HBO content on Prime, so far it seems to me to be almost an exact copy of the content that Netflix has available (and Epix for that matter). Low hanging fruit/licensing?
Lifehacker actually put up a chart comparing streaming services for TV. While Netflix is content king, there's still a great many shows exclusive to Amazon and Hulu that aren't on Netflix. Netflix just lost 24 to Amazon Prime, for instance, and Justified only streams on Prime, while South Park streams on Hulu and not Netflix any longer.

I'm not saying Netflix's streaming service still sucks like I thought in 2009. It's miles better. But streaming, be it on Netflix or in general, still has some hurdles to face in the US before it's the be all, end all method of content acquisition. And good luck with your ISP if they ever go with 4K resolution or uncompressed audio.
Hodor.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I wonder if Comcrap is feeling the heat. My 2 year deal isn't up until October, but they called me and offered this for a one year deal:

-- double the internet speed
-- a new modem (currently, I am using one I provided)
-- Starz, in addition to HBO which I already have
-- Phone service with 300 international minutes per month
-- The Filipino Package -- 3 channels, whereas I currently have just 1, The Filipino Channel.

It will cost me $5 per month more for the above enhancements. The international minutes alone would save me $70 per month on Skype charges.
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

As good as any place I guess.

Netflix is raising it's price for new customers. Streaming is now $8.99 for newbies. People already signed up are grandfathered in at $7.99 for 2 years. One more reason to hate Comcast and Verizon.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Comcast also has its head up its rear when it comes to streaming, as in it's actively acting against their customers. We have an HBO subscription through Comcast, which gives access to HBO Go, and also can access HBO stuff through the cable box's On Demand service. I have a 360 and PS3 hooked up to the TV, and would like to use HBO Go on one of them. I don't pay for an Xbox Live Gold subscription, so I can't access it through the 360. A few months ago, a PS3 app finally came out, but Comcast won't let you use it on the PS3 if you're a Comcast customer (you can on the 360), so my only option to watch streaming HBO content is through the cable box.

Except that the content available through the cable box is way less than is on HBO Go, and in stupid ways. For example, I went to watch the season 4 premiere of Game of Thrones just after episode 3 aired. Turns out that Comcast's On Demand is only keeping the two most recent episodes available through them, so I had to watch it through HBO Go on my computer. I then went on vacation and missed the window for the next two episodes, so I'll have to watch them on my computer too before I can finally watch any episodes streamed to my TV. And this is while actually subscribing to HBO.

Basically, my Game of Thrones viewing experience was much better before I had an HBO subscription and was just pirating it weekly.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Chaz wrote:Basically, my Game of Thrones viewing experience was much better before I had an HBO subscription and was just pirating it weekly.
You're not alone. I was reading last week that Game of Thrones set some type of torrent record based on the difficulty associated with watching it how you'd prefer or in a way that's convenient to your schedule. I would absolutely pay for an HBO Go subscription to use on my Roku box or Xbox360. But bundled with stupid HBO on DirecTV for $16 a month only to find you can't use the HBO Go app on anything? F them. I'll wait until the shows arrive on Amazon and just buy the season all at once.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Smoove_B wrote:But bundled with stupid HBO on DirecTV for $16 a month only to find you can't use the HBO Go app on anything?
DirecTV has no restrictions on HBO Go. You can use it everywhere the app exists.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Ahh...I see that a few months ago -- two years after it first appeared -- the HBO Go is now available for Roku via DirecTV. Now that Amazon Prime streaming will be getting older HBO shows, the value is gone.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Where's Kraken?

Netflix stopped doing Saturday delivery back in early June and apparently no one noticed.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

HBO Go has a LOT more content than the limited, older HBO stuff on Prime.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Smoove_B wrote:Where's Kraken?

Netflix stopped doing Saturday delivery back in early June and apparently no one noticed.
I hadn't noticed, but with my wife's work schedule, we're lucky to watch one movie per week, so it's not as apparent as it would have been a while ago.

Previously they didn't do any Saturday processing, but started when competitors like Blockbuster came along. With DVDs a declining part of their business and competition a thing of the past, they probably felt the time was right to go back to a 5 day work week. Your observation seems to confirm this was an astute decision.
Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I hadn't noticed at the time but in retrospect it seems you're right. As I just dropped them for other reasons tho it's rather a moot point.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Carpet_pissr wrote:HBO Go has a LOT more content than the limited, older HBO stuff on Prime.
I would hope so. At $15+ a month you should get a bit more for you money than 37 airings of Juwanna Man each week.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Smoove_B wrote:
Carpet_pissr wrote:HBO Go has a LOT more content than the limited, older HBO stuff on Prime.
I would hope so. At $15+ a month you should get a bit more for you money than 37 airings of Juwanna Man each week.
If only Comcast would let me use Go on the PS3, I'd be a lot happier with the service.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

Chaz wrote:
If only Comcast would let me use Go on the PS3, I'd be a lot happier with the service.
If only HBO would let me use Go without a cable subscription I'd be super happy!

For now I toil in the library queue.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Fitzy wrote:
Chaz wrote:
If only HBO would let me use Go without a cable subscription I'd be super happy!

This is also true. It was just super frustrating to finally have the house pay for the subscription, have the app finally release for the hardware the console I can use it on (360 doesn't have wireless, so no internet by the TV for it), and then find out Comcast is blocking it because somethingsomething "we're working on it."
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Chaz wrote:
Fitzy wrote:
Chaz wrote:

This is also true. It was just super frustrating to finally have the house pay for the subscription, have the app finally release for the hardware the console I can use it on (360 doesn't have wireless, so no internet by the TV for it), and then find out Comcast is blocking it because somethingsomething "we're working on it."
The 360 does have a wireless adapter, FWIW.
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Microsoft sells a wireless adapter for the 360. Going rate on Amazon is $56.58.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Isgrimnur wrote:Microsoft sells a wireless adapter for the 360. Going rate on Amazon is $56.58.
Yes, that's what I meant. That doesn't make Comcast's dickery less annoying given the cost. I just want to be sure that Chaz knows that the wireless adapter is an option.
Black Lives Matter.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Isgrimnur wrote:Microsoft sells a wireless adapter for the 360. Going rate on Amazon is $56.58.
Pfft.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Yeah, no way I'm paying for a wireless adapter for the 360 just to watch HBO go. I guess it's good that you no longer have to pay for a Gold subscription to watch Netflix/HBO Go on the 360, but yeah, not buying an adapter. I'd be more likely to spend that $50 on a Roku. Oh wait, Comcast blocks HBO Go on there too! I'll just need to find a new cable provider. By moving to a different town. Or by pirating everything.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

El Guapo wrote:
Yes, that's what I meant. That doesn't make Comcast's dickery less annoying given the cost. I just want to be sure that Chaz knows that the wireless adapter is an option.
I meant what you knew, but it was unclearly worded. :tjg:
Smoove_B wrote:Pfft.
I assume that this is a statement of disgust that the price is, as most things with proprietary hardware, especially at this late date, outrageous in the extreme. If so, I concur.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Chaz wrote:Yeah, no way I'm paying for a wireless adapter for the 360 just to watch HBO go. I guess it's good that you no longer have to pay for a Gold subscription to watch Netflix/HBO Go on the 360, but yeah, not buying an adapter. I'd be more likely to spend that $50 on a Roku. Oh wait, Comcast blocks HBO Go on there too! I'll just need to find a new cable provider. By moving to a different town. Or by pirating everything.
Comcast is working on it! You know, they have to figure out all the bandwidths and the frequencies and whatnot. That's not easy, especially when you have to deal with signal degradation from martian rays.
Black Lives Matter.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Isgrimnur wrote:I assume that this is a statement of disgust that the price is, as most things with proprietary hardware, especially at this late date, outrageous in the extreme. If so, I concur.
It is. And Chaz should check is PM. :wink:
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

El Guapo wrote:
Chaz wrote:Yeah, no way I'm paying for a wireless adapter for the 360 just to watch HBO go. I guess it's good that you no longer have to pay for a Gold subscription to watch Netflix/HBO Go on the 360, but yeah, not buying an adapter. I'd be more likely to spend that $50 on a Roku. Oh wait, Comcast blocks HBO Go on there too! I'll just need to find a new cable provider. By moving to a different town. Or by pirating everything.
Comcast is working on it! You know, they have to figure out all the bandwidths and the frequencies and whatnot. That's not easy, especially when you have to deal with signal degradation from martian rays.
Well, with the best minds at Comcast on the case, I fully expect that this will be resolved quickly and efficiently, in a manner which provides their customers with superior service and at drastically reduced rates.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Chaz wrote:
El Guapo wrote:
Well, with the best minds at Comcast on the case, I fully expect that this will be resolved quickly and efficiently, in a manner which provides their customers with superior service and at drastically reduced rates.
As soon as they take over Time Warner Cable, their increased synergies will lead to further efficiency gains. Should have this issue nipped in the bud in four, five years tops.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Currently Time Warner customers can watch HBO Go through their PS3s. Unfortunately, because of Comcast's super high-tech digital electronical interface infrastructure, former Time Warner customers will no longer be able to use this feature until Comcast's system is made fully armed and operational. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.*

*Apologies must be leased at a monthly rate in order to continue service. Leasing fees have been automatically applied to your bill, retroactive to three years ago.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Yeah, this sounds about par for the course with them. Two moves ago, I had sold my TV a few days before I was actually out of the apartment. I'd already called Comcast and scheduled the service termination for my moving day (a Monday). Since I had no TV, I decided to return the cable box on my way to work the Friday before the move. Got home to find out that returning the box had triggered the service cancellation immediately. Took them about an hour on the phone, plus two disconnects for them to figure out that the office they were trying to transfer me to in order to fix their mistake was closed for the weekend.

I didn't remember to check, but I bet they charged me for service for the weekend too.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I still receive a $0 bill every month, nearly three years after canceling Comcast service. I mistakenly dumped two digital conversion adapters, then got charged for them. I paid the fee for not returning the adapters that month, offsetting the charge. Comcast just won't stop sending me mail.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Oh, I forgot. When I cancelled with them the most recent time, it was mid-billing cycle. I gave them my new address when I cancelled, since they said there would be a prorated refund for the partial month. For the next three months, they sent a bill showing a negative balance of about $60. I waited, figuring they'd be sending a check soon. After three months, I finally called asking what was up. They said "oh we don't send those checks out automatically."

I got over my stunned silence after about ten seconds, and told them to send this check out manually, which they did. They're simply astounding. The phone call you linked is also astounding. I kinda wish I could jump in on it.

Them: What is this other service provider giving you that's making you want to go with them instead of the fastest internet and TV provider in the country?
Hypothetical Me: They're sending over a dozen strippers every night, free of charge. Can you match that?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Nice.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Sorry, I totally didn't mean to derail the thread, even though bashing Comcast is always fun for me.

That Netflix sure is annoying, huh? :D
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Black Lives Matter.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Drat, forgot to post this before lunch and now I'm too late. You really have to wonder what their CSR people are rated on. Why didn't the CSR guy just pick a random reason and move on? 18 minutes is a long time.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Brian

Post by Brian »

Wow. When I cancelled my Cox account I simply walked in, handed them the box and said, "I'm done with this."

When they asked why I wanted to cancel service I told them that $180 a month was ri-god-damned-diculous and they said, "Ok, thanks."

I still kept their internet service so maybe that's why they were so agreeable.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
stessier

Post by stessier »

Brian wrote:Wow. When I cancelled my Cox account I simply walked in, handed them the box and said, "I'm done with this."

When they asked why I wanted to cancel service I told them that $180 a month was ri-god-damned-diculous and they said, "Ok, thanks."

You gave them a reason though - cost of service. The guy in the clip wouldn't say anything more than "I'm cancelling because I want to cancel" - which is totally fair for him but apparently not part of their script.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

stessier wrote:
Brian wrote:Wow. When I cancelled my Cox account I simply walked in, handed them the box and said, "I'm done with this."

You gave them a reason though - cost of service. The guy in the clip wouldn't say anything more than "I'm cancelling because I want to cancel" - which is totally fair for him but apparently not part of their script.
To clarify, they did spend 10 minutes on giving reasons--before the clip we heard even started.
Ryan Block wrote:Please note: this conversation starts about 10 minutes in -- by this point my wife and I are both completely flustered by the oppressiveness of the rep.

So! Last week my wife called to disconnect our service with Comcast after we switched to another provider (Astound). We were transferred to cancellations (aka "customer retention").

The representative (name redacted) continued aggressively repeating his questions, despite the answers given, to the point where my wife became so visibly upset she handed me the phone. Overhearing the conversation, I knew this would not be very fun.

What I did not know is how oppressive this conversation would be. Within just a few minutes the representative had gotten so condescending and unhelpful I felt compelled to record the speakerphone conversation on my other phone.

This recording picks up roughly 10 minutes into the call, whereby she and I have already played along and given a myriad of reasons and explanations as to why we are canceling (which is why I simply stopped answering the rep's repeated question -- it was clear the only sufficient answer was "Okay, please don't disconnect our service after all.").

Please forgive the echoing and ratcheting sound, I was screwing together some speaker wires in an empty living room!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I've seen reps get caught in a loop and fail to find a way out. When I was working for Cingular, the most common customer statement when they got hit with overages was that there's no way that they could have used them all, at which point the rep would start back in with the detail call records, etc.

I had to short circuit so many of the reps and tell them, "Look, the next plan up is $20 more a month, which would cover their $100 in overages. Offer them that plan, offer to re-rate their last bill." It was amazing how many times that put an end to the argument as to whether or not they actually used the minutes.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

El Guapo wrote:
Chaz wrote:
Fitzy wrote:
Chaz wrote:

The 360 does have a wireless adapter, FWIW.
To clarify and prevent confusion, newer 360s have built-in wireless. It is the older models that need the adapter.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Wiki wrote:The Xbox 360 S, or slim, has built in wireless N 2.4 GHz networking.
Enlarge Image

The one on the right.

Also, the E-model, which was announced at E3 in 2013.