Order of the Stick - General Discussion

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Zarathud

Re: Order of the Stick 634

Post by Zarathud »

yossar wrote:Couldn't V be some form of neutral in the "Do whatever it takes to protect my family" sense? Maybe chaotic neutral (another alignment I hated) since he doesn't care about what rules he breaks to do so.
Good would be "kill the Black Dragon." Neutral would be "kill the Black Dragon and its likely reinforcements." Evil is "kill the Black Dragon and ANYTHING related to it."

There's justifiable homicide and overkill. The Fiends provided V with an excuse to go overboard, and it's pretty clear V's overintellectualized the problem to protect zer's tremendous ego. By acting for "all the wrong reasons," V has been damned.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

Zarathud wrote: Good would be "kill the Black Dragon." Neutral would be "kill the Black Dragon and its likely reinforcements." Evil is "kill the Black Dragon and ANYTHING related to it."
Errr... no, not really. What you kill doesn't really have any effect on your alignment. The things that change your alignment are HOW (Did you cast a spell with the [Evil] descriptor? Did you deal demons or devils? Did you start a forest fire to kill a camp of bandits?) and WHY (Revenge? You felt like it? Because it will increase your personal power?) you killed.

So yeah, V is definitely damned, because firstly he willingly loaned his soul to devils, secondly he cast a very powerful spell that almost certainly has the [Evil] descriptor, thirdly he acted out of revenge, and fourthly he did it at least in part to increase his own power. He's sooooooo no longer any flavor of Good alignment. If he started out Good he might still be Neutral-leaning-Evil, but I always pegged him as Neutral to start with.
ohbalto

Post by ohbalto »

Technically, he hasn't loaned his soul to anyone yet, just agreed to loan it to the fiends.

If there's anything OOTS has taught us over the year it's this: assuming we know where Rich is going with ANYTHING is a losing bet. Gonna be fun seeing how he sorts this out.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
ohbalto

Post by ohbalto »

Ooooh, is this the one where Jack and Chrissy are planning a surprise party for Janet at the Regal Beagle and she thinks they don't like her anymore because they're avoiding her to keep from spoiling the surprise, and then she treats them like crap to get back, but they then all realize it's just a big misunderstanding and they've damned their souls to a horrible fate . . . ?

I love this one.
Odin

Post by Odin »

I remember now why I stopped following OOTS for over a year. I don't blame the artist for not having any kind of release schedule, but it sure does bug me - enough that I'd rather skip it for a year, then enjoy a few days of catching up. Case in point - the last update was the Arneson tribute on the 9th, and here we are heading into the 16th without an update since. I think I'll find out what happens to V and the gang in 2010.
SpaceLord

Post by SpaceLord »

Spoiler:
The last panel is awesome.
They're going to send you back to mother in a cardboard box...
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

SpaceLord wrote:645
Spoiler:
The last panel is awesome.
Spoiler:
Glad they're all reunited, for however long it might last. I was starting to get separation fatigue. I always like the strip but think it's at it's best when all the characters are there for the range of interactions.
Odin

Post by Odin »

Zurai wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote:Erfworld was pretty good as well.
Yeah, it's definitely picking up.
I went back yesterday and re-read Erfworld from the beginning (prompted to the recent reference to Lord Hamster as a "Hippiemancer" and my vague recollection that there had been a breakdown somewhere during the series of what different types of magic-users did). I have to say that a lot of the slow and confusing early episodes make a LOT more sense and are far more entertaining once you're more familiar with the nature of Erfworld, its rules and its key characters.
Padre

Post by Padre »

646 is up. I think people will like it.
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

Heh, my comment above was actually for 646
Spoiler:
First time the entire group has been together (such as they are) in 222 strips.
Shinjin

Post by Shinjin »

649 isn't too bad either.
Spoiler:
I like updated cast page :)
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Spoiler:
You know, following Belkar's comment in the last frame, I wouldn't be surprised if they actually DO kill Xykon in 5 strips.
Insert witty comment here.
SpaceLord

Post by SpaceLord »

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
TiLT wrote:
Spoiler:
You know, following Belkar's comment in the last frame, I wouldn't be surprised if they actually DO kill Xykon in 5 strips.
Spoiler:
And, by doing so, really screw things up.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

SpaceLord wrote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
But of course. The orc cleric and Nale are likely to be bigger villains anyway.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

TiLT wrote:
SpaceLord wrote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
But of course. The orc cleric and Nale are likely to be bigger villains anyway.
:?:
Spoiler:
What Orc cleric? Do you mean Redcloak? He is a goblin. Did I miss something?
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Spoiler:
I mean goblin, of course. Not that it matters much, as even Tolkien didn't seem to be able to tell the difference. ;)
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

This is a thread about specific OOTS strips. Do we REALLY need spoiler tags? Unless you have inside information on upcoming strips, random speculation is not a spoiler.
“I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” -Thomas Jefferson
Finding Red Riding Hood well-armed, the wolf calls for more gun control.
Dan_Theman

Post by Dan_Theman »

Spoiler:
Bakhtosh wrote:This is a thread about specific OOTS strips. Do we REALLY need spoiler tags? Unless you have inside information on upcoming strips, random speculation is not a spoiler.
Spoiler:
Fixed :lol:
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Bakhtosh wrote:This is a thread about specific OOTS strips. Do we REALLY need spoiler tags? Unless you have inside information on upcoming strips, random speculation is not a spoiler.
In this case it might be useful, considering that the title of the thread isn't up to date and could mislead someone into reading about events they haven't seen yet.

I do agree that the purpose of the spoiler tag isn't clear to everyone who uses it though. Sometimes people will spoiler something that absolutely doesn't need it, and other times they'll put something in spoiler tags that is unrelated to the current discussion but serves as a major spoiler for something else, and they won't even give a warning about what's coming ("But I put it in a spoiler tag inside a OOTS thread. You should have known that I'd post a major spoiler about 24 since it was surrounded by the spoiler tag!").
ohbalto

Post by ohbalto »

Man, Rich is too awesome.

He changed the Cast Page to reflect the most recent (0649 strip.
SpaceLord

Post by SpaceLord »

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Yeah, I'm dying to see how this turns out. It's a credit to Rich that any number of things are possible. I have to assume that V will fail at this...but there are several possible storylines where he does not.
Black Lives Matter.
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

Given the problems with the website and the infrequent updates, I'm left wondering if this may be the end. I enjoy the comic and hope it goes on longer, but maybe he is just tired of writing it. I'm hoping for some big twists and another long plot line, but I am also cynical.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Didn't he quit his dayjob to do this? Can't imagine him quitting (unless he's going to go back to work I suppose)
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Fitzy wrote:Given the problems with the website and the infrequent updates, I'm left wondering if this may be the end. I enjoy the comic and hope it goes on longer, but maybe he is just tired of writing it. I'm hoping for some big twists and another long plot line, but I am also cynical.
We're nearing the end of a plot-arc for a book, but I don't think we have to worry about the strip as a whole ending anytime soon.
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

Naw, this isn't the end. The end for Xykon, possibly, but the Order has much to do even if Xykon is taken out.
/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."
Mr. Sparkle

Post by Mr. Sparkle »

Rich wrote:5/8/2009

Sometime this upcoming week, Giant in the Playground will be moving to a new server. Before the dancing in the streets and cries of unbridled joy begin, let me make it clear that this will not eliminate all of our slowness problems. The only way we will truly master those issues is with some sort of multi-server solution, and this is not that. This is simply a move from the best single server our hosting company offered a year ago up to the best single server they offer now. There will hopefully be some improvement, but it will remain an ongoing issue.

So, you may be asking yourself, "Then why not just switch to a multi-server solution now?" The answer to that is that we were about to do so--we had even ordered the servers--but due to some miscommunications with the hosting support staff, it turns out that there are some technical hurdles that require rewriting the website scripts. And that process may take awhile. So rather than wait to make any upgrade until we have worked all the kinks out, we're making a stop-gap move in the hopes that in a few months, everything will be ready to roll out and our server problems will finally be a thing of the past.

Note that none of these issues are contingent on money at this time, so as always, if you have money you wish to donate, pick a charity and send it there.

Anyway, the upshot of all this is that there may be some disruptions this week when the website actually begins to transition over, and there may be a point when some of you are looking at the old server and some of you are looking at the new server. If I can, I will update any new comics during this period to both servers.
I'd guess from this that he's in it for the long haul. NO DANCING however.
My blog: Chimpanzee Tea Party

"Osama Bin Laden can suck my insouciance." -Kung Fu Monkey
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

GITP wrote:Before the dancing in the streets and cries of unbridled joy begin, let me make it clear that this will not eliminate all of our slowness problems.
That's too bad. Because of his constant server issues, I've all but given up on OOTS. What used to be a frequent weekly check has now turned into "maybe take a look every couple months to see what I missed". Seems like I can never get connected to the site (I received 3 time-out errors just this morning after looking at this thread), and it's a bit baffling why they seem to have so much trouble with it. Shame, as I really enjoy the story and characters he's created. :(
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

If you'd read ALL of that post, he states quite explicitly why the server's still bad. In short: It requires a multi-server host (currently on a single server, which with the comic's popularity plus hosting Erfworld too, explains a lot). They planned to move into a multi-server setup a while ago, but ran into technical problems. As a stop-gap measure until the tech problems are solved, they're moving to an upgraded single server in the interim.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I read the post, but these connectivity issues have been going on for months now. Maybe I just don't understand the technical end of things, but it seems strange that it would take that long to get the issues straightened out. Especially if OOTS and Erfworld are that popular and successful (it must be doing pretty well if Rich quit his job and is actively telling people to donate elsewhere).
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
SpaceLord

Post by SpaceLord »

V runs into BIG problems.
Spoiler:
Too bad V didn't get the Time Stop off. Both of the spells Xykon cast were ranged touch with no save, so Spell Turning would have been good.

Think the Monster in the dark is going to intervene?
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

SpaceLord wrote:V runs into BIG problems.
Spoiler:
Too bad V didn't get the Time Stop off. Both of the spells Xykon cast were ranged touch with no save, so Spell Turning would have been good.

Think the Monster in the dark is going to intervene?
Spoiler:
No idea, but Xykon dies in two strips, so *something* has to happen. ;)
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

I'm continuing on with the "this thread is beyond spoiler tags" mindset, so beware.
TiLT wrote:Think the Monster in the dark is going to intervene?
If he does I think it'll be off screen or otherwise keep his identity secret. Rich has given us way too many big revelations and happenings recently to spill yet another huge secret in this sequence.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

wonderpug wrote:
TiLT wrote:Think the Monster in the dark is going to intervene?
If he does I think it'll be off screen or otherwise keep his identity secret. Rich has given us way too many big revelations and happenings recently to spill yet another huge secret in this sequence.
Thanks for the answer, but despite your heroic effort at mastering the quote tags, I didn't ask that question. ;)
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Clever girl...
Odin

Post by Odin »

Totally awesome. Considering that I like Xyklon better than most of the OOTS guys, this was a great edition for me.
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

New strip

Looks unlikely that Xykon will be perishing any time soon.

Incidentally, do we even know what/where his phylactery is? I seem to recall something about it being involved with Redcloak, but I don't want to look back through all those comics to find out.

EDIT: Since Sith Lord beat me to the OOTS link, here's the new Erfworld link too :P
Odin

Post by Odin »

What's the deal with posting both comics at the same time? Are they TRYING to crash their server?
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Zurai wrote:Incidentally, do we even know what/where his phylactery is? I seem to recall something about it being involved with Redcloak, but I don't want to look back through all those comics to find out.
iirc it is Redcloak's amulet.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken