Order of the Stick - General Discussion

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Hipolito

Re: Order of the Stick - General Discussion

Post by Hipolito »

At last, I've caught up!

After years of reading the comic much more sporadically than the author updated it, I had made it to the mid-800s and realized I was lost. I had forgotten too many details and lost sight of the big picture. I wasn't enjoying it anymore.

But I remembered how much I used to love OOTS and decided it was too good to abandon. So I reread it all the way from strip #1, this time maintaining my own little running summary in case I forgot everything again. It took me about a year to reread it all, but it was fun! I'm in love again.

Now that I'm up caught up to #946 and the next strip won't be out for at least another month, I figure it's a good time to delve into the books. I'm planning to get On the Origins of PCs, Start of Darkness, and Snips, Snails and Dragon Tales, since they're all extra content. But I was wondering whether I should also get Books 1-4, which are the compiled webcomics plus a few extra strips. Are extra strips worth buying the compilations? If I shell out for those, I'll get the scratch-and-dent versions to save a little scratch and dent my wallet less.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I don't think they add anything but the ability to share and read offline. And flip back more easily when you remember that thing which the strip just referenced but you don't want any spoilers from the forum.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

The books are definitely worth it! They're nice quality, look great lined up on a shelf, come with bonus comics, come with commentary from Burlew, they're the best avenue for showing your support for the comics and the author, and the strips themselves just plain look nicer in print than they do on a computer monitor.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The payoff on 981 was awesome and unexpected.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Rich also just did an impromptu little Q&A session on his forums that's a pretty fun read if you're a fan.
Binktopia

Post by Binktopia »

wonderpug wrote:Rich also just did an impromptu little Q&A session on his forums that's a pretty fun read if you're a fan.
Gosh Darn you Wonderpug, that is like putting a bowl of crack cocaine in the middle of a crack den. I cannot resist reading... AHH.

I am going to work through the high and then get on with life. That is the mature thing to do.... right?
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I was just thinking about OotS the other day. I haven't read it in...well, since he had his accident, I think. Or whatever that was that kept him from doing the strip. Guess i need to get caught up.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
wire

Post by wire »

hentzau wrote:I was just thinking about OotS the other day. I haven't read it in...well, since he had his accident, I think. Or whatever that was that kept him from doing the strip. Guess i need to get caught up.
Because there is so much time between strips it's almost better to leave and come back every year or two to read the strips you missed. On a mini scale Rich is kind of the George R.R. Martin of webcomics.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

In light of the last few strips, what are the odds that VampDurkon becomes a full on villain once they get to the conclave, and is replaced in the party by the elven priestess?
Black Lives Matter.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

El Guapo wrote:In light of the last few strips, what are the odds that VampDurkon becomes a full on villain once they get to the conclave, and is replaced in the party by the elven priestess?
Nil, since the priestess is a guest character created for a backer in the Kickstarter campaign. She's got limited shelf life in the comic, though it's been vastly expanded from what the backer expected.
Insert witty comment here.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

TiLT wrote:
El Guapo wrote:In light of the last few strips, what are the odds that VampDurkon becomes a full on villain once they get to the conclave, and is replaced in the party by the elven priestess?
Nil, since the priestess is a guest character created for a backer in the Kickstarter campaign. She's got limited shelf life in the comic, though it's been vastly expanded from what the backer expected.
Yeah I know, but since the character's role has already expanded, it seems like it could expand further still, given what's likely to happen at the Conclave.
Black Lives Matter.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

El Guapo wrote:
TiLT wrote:
Yeah I know, but since the character's role has already expanded, it seems like it could expand further still, given what's likely to happen at the Conclave.
Rich plans out these stories years in advance, so I doubt it. He knows exactly what's going to happen and when.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

El Guapo wrote:given what's likely to happen at the Conclave.
...but probably wont.... :?:
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Unagi wrote:
El Guapo wrote:given what's likely to happen at the Conclave.
...but probably wont.... :?:
Except our little dwarf friend was banished due to the disaster he was destined to bring to his homeland..........
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

TiLT wrote:Rich plans out these stories years in advance, so I doubt it. He knows exactly what's going to happen and when.
Just like every DungeonMaster who has created Maps, NPCs, Adventure Hooks, and all sorts of... ummm.
"Where are you off to?"
"I don't know," Snufkin replied.
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Sweet sweet meat come. -LordMortis
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Chaosraven wrote:
TiLT wrote:Rich plans out these stories years in advance, so I doubt it. He knows exactly what's going to happen and when.
Just like every DungeonMaster who has created Maps, NPCs, Adventure Hooks, and all sorts of... ummm.
Yes. Your point being?

Rich doesn't have to deal with player choice, which is the single biggest pitfall for a GM's story in an RPG. If he has a story ready, there's nothing getting in its way.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

If you like to binge, we're currently up to #1025, and have finished a major arc.

Fee free to check your previous predictions and cash in your tickets at the window.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Isgrimnur wrote:If you like to binge, we're currently up to #1025, and have finished a major arc.

Fee free to check your previous predictions and cash in your tickets at the window.
#1025 has a really nice tribute to an OOTS forum member who passed away (who the character Wrecan is named after).
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

El Guapo wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote:If you like to binge, we're currently up to #1025, and have finished a major arc.

#1025 has a really nice tribute to an OOTS forum member who passed away (who the character Wrecan is named after).
Details:
Spoiler:
Wrecan is a tribute to Mark Monack, a Giant in the Playground forum goer who went by the screen name "Wrecan". Amongst other things, he started the tradition of counting the number of strips characters appear in. Mark passed away from heart failure in 2013, and Wrecan was a walk-on character created as tribute to him. A nod to his character appearance counting threads can be found in Comic 1025, Mark of Distinction, where he mentions liking counting things. In addition, the comic page itself pays tribute to him in its name.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Thanks for the PSA. I got a little bored at the start of this the latest arc and I've been waiting for an excuse to plow through it all at once.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Does Rich read Popehat? (1038)

Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Isgrimnur wrote:
El Guapo wrote:

Details:
Spoiler:
Wrecan is a tribute to Mark Monack, a Giant in the Playground forum goer who went by the screen name "Wrecan". Amongst other things, he started the tradition of counting the number of strips characters appear in. Mark passed away from heart failure in 2013, and Wrecan was a walk-on character created as tribute to him. A nod to his character appearance counting threads can be found in Comic 1025, Mark of Distinction, where he mentions liking counting things. In addition, the comic page itself pays tribute to him in its name.
Holy crap, I just went back and re-read 1025 with that new information, and it's heartbreaking. Very touching.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Holman

Post by Holman »

For years I've been a very casual, random OOTS reader. Until recently, I'd probably not read more than 100 installments, but I liked everything I saw.

Well, I finally dove in, and during that past few weeks I've read the entire online series from the beginning to the present. So much fun!

At first the change in art style (between 946 and 947) was jarring: I felt like the characters and the backgrounds looked less like a drawn strip and more like stills from animation, but I've gotten used to it, and now I like it.

I think Xykon might be the greatest villain in modern fantasy.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I catch up on it two or three times a year, and I'm always disappointed by how quickly I do so. IDK what his publication schedule is but it seems that there are only 10-15 new installments each time I visit.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Kraken wrote:I catch up on it two or three times a year, and I'm always disappointed by how quickly I do so. IDK what his publication schedule is but it seems that there are only 10-15 new installments each time I visit.
The publication schedule varies a lot. IIRC the guy has some sort of chronic illness that periodically interferes with regular updates. At it's peak it's (again IIRC) 3 times / week, but he hasn't hit that in a long time. It's not bad now - it's usually like once or twice a weekish. At it's worst it's sometimes been 2 - 3 weeks without an update.
Black Lives Matter.
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

Holman wrote:I think Xykon might be the greatest villain in modern fantasy.
The print volume Start of Darkness really adds to the richness of the villains, and of course if you're reading that then you should also read On the Origin of PCs.

WRT update schedule
It was a severe hand injury (cut tendons, I think), which is about the worst thing an artist can do to himself.

It's been pretty consistently updated once a week over the last many months, with double strips when it was a bit slower.
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Xykon appears so stupid and ignorant that it can be a shock when he decides to be serious and reveals just how insanely powerful and clever he can be. It's that contrast that makes him interesting.
Holman

Post by Holman »

It was genius to involve a funny asshole Lich from the beginning. How many old-school D&D'ers haven't been screwed by the Tomb of Horrors?

Reading through the whole series, I was surprised to see so few references to classic TSR material. I kept waiting for the Tomb of Horrors, the village of Hommlet, Expedition to the Barrier Peaks, etc.
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

Holman wrote:Reading through the whole series, I was surprised to see so few references to classic TSR material. I kept waiting for the Tomb of Horrors, the village of Hommlet, Expedition to the Barrier Peaks, etc.
That early bit with the copyright lawyers hauling off the beholder wasn't just a joke. Certain monsters are considered D&D "product identity", and specific modules certainly would be.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Game_License
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
Holman

Post by Holman »

silverjon wrote:
Holman wrote:Reading through the whole series, I was surprised to see so few references to classic TSR material. I kept waiting for the Tomb of Horrors, the village of Hommlet, Expedition to the Barrier Peaks, etc.
That early bit with the copyright lawyers hauling off the beholder wasn't just a joke. Certain monsters are considered D&D "product identity", and specific modules certainly would be.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Game_License
Oh, I know. IIRC the beholder, mind flayers, displacer beasts, umber hulks, carrion crawlers and some of the weirder Fiend Folio stuff are strictly controlled. It's rather funny considering how *everything else* is so blatantly cribbed from Tolkien, Vance, Leiber, Zelazny, etc.

I just kept expecting a few more references in OOTS. Not that I'm complaining, though, since the whole series is a wonderful satirical homage to the D&D rules.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I tried googling but didn't find an answer.

What's the difference between a regular flame strike and "empowered" flame strike? (REF: OOTS 1119)
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Montag

Post by Montag »

More general. Look for empowered spells. Increased damage, but takes up higher level spell slot.
words
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

1131 up.

Now would be a good point to catch up.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:06 pm 1131 up.

Now would be a good point to catch up.
Thanks for the notice! Now to try and remember where I left off...
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

:shock:
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Whoa. This is indeed a BFD.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Yeah, the OotS is great - really top level storytelling, which is funny coming out of a stick figure D&D comic strip. I've been wondering how Rich Burlew was going to write himself out of the situation from the last 10ish strips - this makes sense, and is well done.

Also nice that the strip posting pace has picked up over the past couple weeks.
Black Lives Matter.
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

I suspected it was coming, but it still hits right in the heart.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Fitzy wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:25 pm I suspected it was coming, but it still hits right in the heart.
Spoiler:
I'm glad that they didn't go with the "kumbaya" / everything is fine wrap up for Durkula (redeemed Durkula rejoining the party), especially since it wouldn't have been credible for the OotS to ever trust him again. And the quiet self-sacrifice is well done and very Durkon.
Black Lives Matter.