Another XKCD classic

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Baroquen

Re: Another XKCD classic

Post by Baroquen »

I thought I scrolled around a lot of the pic this morning, but wasn't even close. Wow... just wow.

And the Rhode Island thing was funny. Sounded better than the discussion of Revolution in the other thread. :D
disarm

Post by disarm »

Long-time readers of xkcd will get this most out of this one...very nicely done...

She won the first half of all our chemo Scrabble games, but then her IV drugs started kicking in and I *dominated*
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

Excellent.
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

<A>: Like </a>this.&nbsp;

:tjg:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
disarm

Post by disarm »

Feynman recounted another good one upperclassmen would use on freshmen physics students: When you look at words in a mirror, how come they're reversed left to right but not top to bottom? What's special about the horizontal axis?
stessier

Post by stessier »

From the same guy we got What If and now a twitter feed -What-If Numbers - numbers he found while looking up answers to the What if questions. For example -
2,210: Distance to the Alpha Centauri system, measured in units of Voyager 2's current distance from us
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Has anyone been following the "Time" strip? It was posted last week Monday, and has been updated regularly (every few hours, maybe?) ever since. It started with two people sitting on a beach, and by now they've constructed a massive sand castle.

Here's a video that shows all of the strips in sequence.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

AWS260 wrote:Has anyone been following the "Time" strip? It was posted last week Monday, and has been updated regularly (every few hours, maybe?) ever since. It started with two people sitting on a beach, and by now they've constructed a massive sand castle.

This is still being updated.

The water is starting to rise.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Just as a reminder (since I always forget), you can use the space bar to pause the action and the arrow keys to advance frames one at a time in either direction. (Yes, the instructions are on the page, but I always forget to look there too.)
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
PLW

Post by PLW »

Majestic
stessier

Post by stessier »

AWS260 wrote:
AWS260 wrote:Has anyone been following the "Time" strip? It was posted last week Monday, and has been updated regularly (every few hours, maybe?) ever since. It started with two people sitting on a beach, and by now they've constructed a massive sand castle.

Still going on - current frame is 1747 and Day 68.
stessier

Post by stessier »

stessier wrote:
AWS260 wrote:

Still going on - current frame is 1747 and Day 68.
2179 - Day 86.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

disarm wrote:Image
Feynman recounted another good one upperclassmen would use on freshmen physics students: When you look at words in a mirror, how come they're reversed left to right but not top to bottom? What's special about the horizontal axis?
This is like that virus given to the borg in that one TNG episode.... What is so special about the horizontal axis ?? :shock: Is there an answer to this I could possibly hope to understand?

Ahh, here we go
hog

Post by hog »

The mirror isn't actually reversing anything. What's on the left, stays on the left; what's on top, stays on top, etc.

Imagine writing something on a piece of paper and holding it so you can look at it without a mirror. Now what do you have to do in order to see the piece of paper so you can see it in the mirror? You have to turn it around -- flip it along the horizontal.

If you do that, it is flipped BOTH in the mirror and in actuality, too.

In fact whenever you look at a paper and can see through it to writing on the other side, the writing appears backwards.

You could flip the paper vertically, and then look at it in the mirror. Then it would be correct left-to-right but everything would appear upside down.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Post this on your FB wall. :twisted:
And it doesn't pop up a box every time asking you to use your real name. In fact, there's no way to set your name at all. You just have to keep reminding people who you are.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

So, just as an aside, is that story true? About the old windows utility and etc etc etc
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Drazzil wrote:So, just as an aside, is that story true? About the old windows utility and etc etc etc
maybe?
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
tiny ogre

Post by tiny ogre »

Moliere wrote:Undocumented Feature
I just read that one, and thought, Man, I wish I had somewhere like that on the internet. You know, like a chat room or a forum or something long since forgotten by the rest of the net. Maybe I'd stop by once in a while and all the same people would still be there, just chatting away.

Too bad there's not such a place.

:ninja:
Twitter: joerumz
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

tiny ogre wrote:
I just read that one, and thought, Man, I wish I had somewhere like that on the internet. You know, like a chat room or a forum or something long since forgotten by the rest of the net. Maybe I'd stop by once in a while and all the same people would still be there, just chatting away.

Welcome back, Mr. Stealth...
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

tiny ogre wrote:

Heh. Well done, sir.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

The Heartbleed bug explained so that even I can understand it.

Are you there, server? It's me, Margaret.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Nailed Free Speech.

I can't remember where I heard this, but someone once said that defending a position by citing free speech is sort of the ultimate concession; you're saying that the most compelling thing you can say for your position is that it's not literally illegal to express.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Moliere

Post by Moliere »

XKCD predicted this.
05/29/14: The ISEE-3 Reboot Project is pleased to announce that our team has established two-way communication with the ISEE-3 spacecraft and has begun commanding it to perform specific functions.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Super Bowl. I don't know if I would call it a "classic, but it captures what I love about xkcd -- the intersection of dedicated nerdiness with genuine warmth and compassion.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Not sure I agree that "not caring" about something gives you power over it. Maybe agree that it prevents that thing from having power over you.

Over thinking again.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

It took me until somewhere in my 30s to learn this. :oops:
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Carpet_pissr wrote:Not sure I agree that "not caring" about something gives you power over it. Maybe agree that it prevents that thing from having power over you.

Over thinking again.
Oh man, are you guy's still talking about this? I guess I used to worry about discussions like these but once I got more mature mentally I moved beyond them. I guess you can keep talking about it if you feel the need but I don't care about it and I'm going to move onto more important things. Image
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

wonderpug wrote:
Carpet_pissr wrote:Not sure I agree that "not caring" about something gives you power over it. Maybe agree that it prevents that thing from having power over you.

Over thinking again.
Oh man, are you guy's still talking about this? I guess I used to worry about discussions like these but once I got more mature mentally I moved beyond them. I guess you can keep talking about it if you feel the need but I don't care about it and I'm going to move onto more important things. Image
I see what you did there.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

GreenGoo wrote:
wonderpug wrote:

Over thinking again.
I see what you did there.
I will say he got me to at least check the time stamp on the post vs. my answer before I realized... :naughty:
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

This got a chuckle out of me. :D

jimbo

Post by jimbo »

Go to the actual page http://www.xkcd.com/1506/ to click the button and help recover data.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Love the Alienware logos on that pc.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Haha, you'll see!
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Nobody wants England. :lol:

Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Moliere wrote:Nobody wants England. :lol:

Actually, I think the problem is too many people want England.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

:lol:
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Moliere wrote:Image

:lol:
"Mmmm, this is such a positive experience! I feel no social pressure to enjoy it at all!"
-Coop
Black Lives Matter