Another XKCD classic

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Moliere

Re: Another XKCD classic

Post by Moliere »

Hover: Plus, time's all weird in there, so most of it probably broke down and decomposed hundreds of years ago. Which reminds me, I've been meaning to get in touch with Yucca Mountain to see if they're interested in a partnership.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Hover: Texting should work. Unless the message is too long, in which case it gets converted to voicemails, and I think I'm locked out of my voicemail.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Enlarge Image
On the other hand, the refractor's limited light-gathering means it's unable to make out shadow people or the dark god Chernabog.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

This is just beautiful...

"Maybe if I spin it back and forth really fast I can do some kind of pulse-width modulation."
“I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” -Thomas Jefferson
Finding Red Riding Hood well-armed, the wolf calls for more gun control.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

From the Been There, Done That files:

Enlarge Image
'Automating' comes from the roots 'auto-' meaning 'self-', and 'mating', meaning 'screwing'.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

"I'm one of the few Instagram users who connects solely through the Unix 'talk' gateway."
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Not in the same zip code of that complex but so friggen true.

No phone and no in person?
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

LordMortis wrote:No phone and no in person?
What are those?
stessier

Post by stessier »

LordMortis wrote:No phone... ?
SMS is on there.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

stessier wrote:
LordMortis wrote:No phone... ?
SMS is on there.
l.o.l.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

GreenGoo wrote:l.o.l.
+1

I have 6 ways to talk to someone in the office alone.

in person (which building are we meeting up in? as of today, there are 8 at my location)
phone (desk or mobile - desk phone are dying, I disconnected mine, but people still use them)
email
slack (which channel, take your pick! I might see it eventually)

Hmm, there was a sixth when I was counting them in my head. I guess it would be SMS/iMessage (no, I don't differentiate them since they are the same app on my phone and the only way I know the difference is the color of the bubble).

The only one I add outside work is Facebook Messenger. Technically you can talk to be on steam, uplay, xblive, psn,origin, etc, but I hope you aren't looking for a response.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

in person (which building are we meeting up in? as of today, there are 8 at my location)
phone (desk or mobile - desk phone are dying, I disconnected mine, but people still use them)
email
at least four different applications where you write something in the damned application and then the application sends you an email to tell you to check in to the application to respond without telling you what the damned thing is you are supposed to respond to.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

:wub:

Enlarge Image
♫ When the spacing is tight / And the difference is slight / That's a moiré ♫

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

In case anyone else has no idea...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moir%C3%A9_pattern
In mathematics, physics, and art, a moiré pattern (/mwɑːrˈeɪ/; French: [mwaˈʁe]) or moiré fringes[1] are large scale interference patterns that can be produced when an opaque ruled pattern with transparent gaps is overlaid on another similar pattern. For the moiré interference pattern to appear, the two patterns must not be completely identical in that they must be displaced, rotated, etc., or have different but similar pitch.
Moiré patterns appear in many different situations. In printing, the printed pattern of dots can negatively interfere with the image. In television and digital photography, a pattern on an object being photographed can interfere with the shape of the light sensors to generate unwanted artifacts. They are also sometimes created deliberately- in micrometers they are used to amplify the effects of very small movements.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

They also appear frequently during the design of handheld LCD devices.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Be careful—it's breeding season, and some of these can be *extremely* defensive of their nests.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

That's very exciting! The bad news is that it's a risk factor for a lot of things.
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

Russell's Teapot

Damn you xkcd...now I have to go look that up.

"Unfortunately, NASA regulations state that Bertrand Russell-related payloads can only be launched within launch vehicles which do not launch themselves."
stessier

Post by stessier »

Bakhtosh wrote: Damn you xkcd...now I have to go look that up.
From Wikipedia:
Russell's teapot is an analogy, formulated by the philosopher Bertrand Russell (1872–1970), to illustrate that the philosophic burden of proof lies upon a person making unfalsifiable claims, rather than shifting the burden of disproof to others.

Russell specifically applied his analogy in the context of religion.[1] He wrote that if he were to assert, without offering proof, that a teapot orbits the Sun somewhere in space between the Earth and Mars, he could not expect anyone to believe him solely because his assertion could not be proven wrong.

Russell's teapot is still invoked in discussions concerning the existence of God, and has had influence in various fields and media.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

:lol:
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Over the years I've decided I'd rather have them on than not, but I'm glad there aren't "has opened a blank note to compose a reply to you" notifications.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

I had some important research to do on proposed interstellar space missions, basketball statistics, canceled skyscrapers, and every article linked from "Women in warfare and the military in the 19th century.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Sorry, Yoopers.
A schism between the pro-panhandle and anti-panhandle factions eventually led to war, but both sides spent too much time working on their flag designs to actually do much fighting.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

If toying with the UP, they should at least make consistent the other MI border. Hello Toledo!
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

You should get South Bend as well. Gary would be safe, but not by much.

Enlarge Image
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

The Meal wrote:If toying with the UP, they should at least make consistent the other MI border. Hello Toledo!
There was a war about that. That's how MI ended up with the yoopers.
There is no hug button. Sad!
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

killbot737 wrote:
The Meal wrote:If toying with the UP, they should at least make consistent the other MI border. Hello Toledo!
Very interesting read!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Z-Corn wrote:
killbot737 wrote:
Very interesting read!
And here I thought we ceded Toledo by making them keep Cleveland. :?
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

"I should make a list of all the things I could be trying to optimize, prioritized by ... well, I guess there are a few different variables I could use. I'll create a spreadsheet ..."
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Spreadsheet?

I started off with countless problems. But now I know, thanks to COUNT(), that I have "#REF! ERROR: Circular dependency detected" problems.
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

Spent about a minute laughing at the Alt text on this one:
https://xkcd.com/1912/

Your problem is so terrible, I worry that, if I help you, I risk drawing the attention of whatever god of technology inflicted it on you.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

"No, wait, come back! I want to be friends at you!"
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

In case anyone needs a reason to never make a political donation, be prepared for the spam that follows:

"The establishment doesn't take us seriously. You know who else they didn't take seriously? Hitler. I'll be like him, but a GOOD guy instead of..."
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

"This one is perfect in every way, except that for some reason it's woven from a tungsten mesh, so it weighs 85 pounds and I'll need to carry it around on a hand cart." "That seems like a bad--" "BUT IT HAS THE PERFECT POCKET ARRANGEMENT!"
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

"If most people turn into muderers all of a sudden, we'll need to push out a firmware update or something."
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

"[They do not move.]"

Probably more than a few of us in this situation when it comes to social interactions.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I am social butterfly! Oh look a pretty light!!!
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

"Just tell me everything you're thinking about in order from most important to last, and then we'll be friends and we can eat apples together."
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I also was obsessed with Turkish Delight as a kid after reading those books. I was so disappointed when I finally tried it a few years back.
Black Lives Matter