Another XKCD classic

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

GreenGoo

Re: Another XKCD classic

Post by GreenGoo »

coopasonic wrote:
"Mmmm, this is such a positive experience! I feel no social pressure to enjoy it at all!"
Thanks.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I made my save against defensive rant trigger.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Isgrimnur wrote:I made my save against defensive rant trigger.
Only a partial save, since you couldn't resist posting. :wink:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Quarter damage. :)
MHS

Post by MHS »

Moliere wrote:Image

:lol:
Yes! As a non-beer-drinker in a big craft beer area, I <3 this so much!
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I'm no beer connoisseur ...I drink maybe 3-4 a week unless I go to a party, but there are definitely times when ONLY a beer will sate what I want/need. It's usually after a hard day's work outside, or working out, etc. Sure tastes delish during those times.

I doubt there are many times when I crave the "flavor" of beer though.
theohall

Post by theohall »

The 6+ year old thread still lives!! Hurray! :horse:

I like beer and not just saying it. Hate light beers. I do not want beer-flavored water no matter how many carbs it supposedly saves. If I'm drinking beer, I ain't counting carbs. That's just silly.

Give me a nice red.... like Murphy's Irish Red, Kilkenny, or (sorry this one is more common now) Smithwick's. Murphy's is damn hard to find, though. Worth it if you can find it.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

The only problem I have with that is that it kind of only applies if you're drinking socially. It doesn't explain why someone would drink beer alone, when there is no need to pretend. And I don't agree that all beer tastes bad.

Still, I laughed. I'm going to print it out for my beer connoisseur buddy just to piss him off. :D
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

I feel the same way about coffee. No matter how much sugar and milk I add it still tastes disgusting.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
theohall

Post by theohall »

Moliere wrote:I feel the same way about coffee. No matter how much sugar and milk I add it still tastes disgusting.
That's why they invented flavored coffee.
MHS

Post by MHS »

Moliere wrote:I feel the same way about coffee. No matter how much sugar and milk I add it still tastes disgusting.
You're my spirit animal. :wub:
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Moliere wrote:No matter how much sugar and milk I add it still tastes disgusting.
I think I found the problem.

Sugar brings out some nasty flavors and aftertastes in coffee that don't occur in its pure state. Even milk, which has sugars in it of course, doesn't have the same chemical effect.

Try with just bit of hot milk (to really dark coffee) and see what happens. Also, have you tried DECENT, freshly roasted coffee, from fresh beans? Soooo so much shit out there...

If you're talking about pre-ground stuff you find in a grocery store that's been sitting there for weeks getting stale and harsh, I agree, that stuff IS disgusting. :P
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Carpet_pissr wrote:have you tried DECENT, freshly roasted coffee, from fresh beans?
Yes. I've tried everything from Denny's sewer water to coffee where the beans were all individually picked by a licensed peasant in Guatemala who then carried them in a hermetically sealed bag across the border where he finally ground the beans in a clean room designed for super conductors, after which the peasant brewed my coffee before heading back to Guatemala for the next crop.
Spoiler:
It was still disgusting.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Was the peasant dirty? Sounds like your pristine beans were sullied, contaminated, if you will.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Carpet_pissr wrote:Was the peasant dirty? Sounds like your pristine beans were sullied, contaminated, if you will.
He was wearing a clean room suit to cover the effects of his border crossing exertions. He never came into direct contact with the beans as they were all individually washed with Evian water before roasting.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Someone who doesn't like bitter flavors won't like coffee or beer no matter how they try to disguise it. Pointless to try, really.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Kraken wrote:Someone who doesn't like bitter flavors won't like coffee or beer no matter how they try to disguise it. Pointless to try, really.
How come I like dark chocolate more than milk chocolate?
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Moliere wrote:
Kraken wrote:Someone who doesn't like bitter flavors won't like coffee or beer no matter how they try to disguise it. Pointless to try, really.
How come I like dark chocolate more than milk chocolate?
Because semi-sweet and bittersweet aren't bitter.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Fans eagerly await 2015's 'Space Fights: Power Gets Up', although most think 1999's 'Space Fights: The Scary Ghost' didn't live up to the hype.
I have to admit that it took me a few to get in the right mindset, and the middle set took me the longest.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Isgrimnur wrote:Image
Fans eagerly await 2015's 'Space Fights: Power Gets Up', although most think 1999's 'Space Fights: The Scary Ghost' didn't live up to the hype.
I have to admit that it took me a few to get in the right mindset, and the middle set took me the longest.
Ditto. Exactly.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Part 2

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Do you not know about the hovertext?
There's also the TV show based on the hit Hot and Cold Music books: Fun With Chairs, Royal Rumble, Knife Blizzard, Breakfast for Birds, and Samba Serpents.
Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

Spoiler:
Harry Potter, Rocky, Indianna Jones

Song of Ice and Fire: GoT books
I cannot figure out Tropical Boaters though.

Edit... duh.
Spoiler:
Pirates of the Caribbean
18-1™ & 2-0
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Trent Steel wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Pirates of the Caribbean
stessier

Post by stessier »

I can't figure out the Jewelry Gods.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Isgrimnur wrote:
Trent Steel wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Pirates of the Caribbean
Heh... I didn't even realize there were 4 (and a 5th on the way). I think I saw the 4th one. It seems vaguely familiar.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

stessier wrote:I can't figure out the Jewelry Gods.
Nothing RINGs familiar there?
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

coopasonic wrote:
stessier wrote:I can't figure out the Jewelry Gods.
Nothing RINGs familiar there?
I thought that was it, but for whatever reason I didn't think Lord = God. My bad.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

I know it's not xkcd, but as an engineer, this Dilbert slayed me this morning.

For the full story arc, go back from here: http://dilbert.com/strip/2015-08-24
“I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” -Thomas Jefferson
Finding Red Riding Hood well-armed, the wolf calls for more gun control.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Given the current state of my portfolio, this one seems timely:
The less common, even worse outcome: "3: [everyone in the financial system] WOW, where did all my money just go?"
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

Bakhtosh wrote:I know it's not xkcd, but as an engineer, this Dilbert slayed me this morning.

For the full story arc, go back from here: http://dilbert.com/strip/2015-08-24
I love Robots Read News.

Then again, Dogbert is my favorite character in normal Dilbert, so I guess that says something about me.
Conform or be cast out!
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I think Randall Munroe is at his best when he goes all philosopher-poet like this. (Yes, it's prose, but it's lyrical prose, know what I mean? No? Ah, fugget about it...)

I literally could care less.
Strewth! I often find that I literally could care less, but can't be bothered to make the effort.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Alt text: The thrower started hitting the bats too much, so the king of the game told him to leave and brought out another thrower from thrower jail.
stessier

Post by stessier »

That is awesome. :lol:
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Hover text!
Markets have been rocked by a second day of uncertainty after someone set up a giant Ouija board on the NYSE wall controlled collectively by the movement of the stock tickers.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

:lol:

Alt text: If that's too easy, you could try joining Tautology Club, which meets on the date of the Tautology Club meeting.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Researchers just found the gene responsible for mistakenly thinking we've found the gene for specific things. It's the region between the start and the end of every chromosome, plus a few segments in our mitochondria.