Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Kraken

Re: Random randomness

Post by Kraken »

I once burned my hand seriously in a cooking oil accident. The skillet started to fall off the stovetop and I caught it (yay!), splashing hot oil all over my hand (boo!). That led to daily doctor visits for wound debreeding (i.e., removing dead tissue), twice-daily bandage changes on a sterile field, arm in a sling for weeks. Nearly all the skin on my thumb and index finger was blistered or gone -- half of my hand looked like raw chicken. Amazingly, it healed up completely without even scarring...but it took a long, long time.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

I hate to be that guy but it's "debriding" or debridement. Been there, done that, not fun.
-mf
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Thanks, I suspected that I had the word wrong but too lazy to look it up. Of course you need a bride before you can breed. :)
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Kraken wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:57 pm Of course you need a bride before you can breed. :)
That's only true if you're extremely serious about your religion. :lol:
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

AWS260 wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:11 pm Name of the Year 2018 is upon us!
It's down to the final four:

Jimbob Ghostkeeper
Makenlove Petit-Fard
Delicious Peters
Dr. Narwhals Mating
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

That's Sergeant Bea Arthur to you, maggot!
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I have an air purifier for my room, and it advertises a "permanent HEPA filter", with additional carbon/zeolite odor filters.

For grins, I looked up the replacement parts... that's when I noticed they actually sell replacements for that "permanent" HEPA filter. The whole machine was $40 on Amazon, and the replacement HEPA filter is $20. The odor filters are extra. And I was like, WTF?

Then I noticed in the instructions that the HEPA filter can be vacuumed. Guess that's what they meant by "permanent". The odor filter, however, needs replacement every 3 months or so. And those are sold at 3 for $20, except this needs two at a time (this filter is also used in smaller purifiers).

Fortunately, you can buy generic odor filters on Amazon, 6 for 20, and only need one at a time. So it's effectively 1/4 the price.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Usually those perm ones are metal blades and you need to wipe them sometimes.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:31 pm Usually those perm ones are metal blades and you need to wipe them sometimes.
Ah, you're used to the Sharper Image "Ionic Breeze" claims. :) So was I, but according to experts, those don't do much real air filtration. It'll take some particulates off the air, but it's not true HEPA filter.

FWIW, this Hamilton Beach "permanent" HEPA filter has a plastic frame, cardboard cover around the edges, and what appears to be a mixed medium (some cloth, some other stuff) as the true filter media. And I know my room is dusty as heck, because when I removed the old odor filter, it's full of dust, and so was the intake mesh it's grown dustballs. *sigh*
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Maybe its permanent as in the whole machine dies before the filter is clogged :)
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

U.S. dollars in circulation
Title lending firm TitleMax recently commissioned a brief explainanation on the topic, and it reaches a nice, satisfyingly huge number for the total value of all physical, printed US currency now in circulation: Almost $1.5 trillion.

In pure volume, that comes to amounts of bills in the seven major denominations numbering in the billions:

11.7 billion one-dollar bills.
1.2 billion two-dollar bills.
2.8 billion five-dollar bills.
1.9 billion ten-dollar bills.
8.9 billion twenty-dollar bills.
1.7 billion fifty-dollar bills.
11.5 billion hundred-dollar bills.

The US Bureau of Engraving and Printing has also released stats on the average lifespan of each bill, by denomination (excluding the two, which doesn't circulate enough for adequate data):

One-dollar bill: 5.8 years.
Two-dollar bill: 5.5 years.
Ten-dollar bill: 4.5 years.
Twenty-dollar bill: 7.9 years.
Fifty-dollar bill: 8/5 years.
One Hundred-dollar bill: 15 years.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I had the inexplicable urge to join a Crash Test Dummies cover band this morning. I don't think there are any.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:45 pm I had the inexplicable urge to join a Crash Test Dummies cover band this morning. I don't think there are any.
Ummm hmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmm
Holman

Post by Holman »

Couldn't you just read T.S. Eliot in a deep, earnest undergraduate voice instead?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

May 9th is my birthday. Ill be 49. Im not sure if Ill celebrate or cry. Maybe both. Ive asked my wife to just skip it. Hers is in July. She will be 63. I thought maybe in June we could just do something together to celebrate them both. We have a gift card for Red Lobster that was her birthday gift 4 years ago. Its still good. Perhaps that would be fun. Just dont know any longer. Sometimes I feel like Ive died years back and haven't realized it. Sometimes I want to be dead and gone. Others I want to live and do things left undone. Just dont know. Hope life improves.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Holman wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:22 pm Couldn't you just read T.S. Eliot in a deep, earnest undergraduate voice instead?
Hearing Afternoons and Coffeespoons for the first time in years is probably what put the thought in my head! It probably doesn't help that I indeed have a disappearing hairline and often wear pajamas in the daytime. 25 years ago, it sounded ridiculous, but now...
Maybe next year, maybe no go
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I swear that people exist in this world just to annoy me. :tjg:
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

dbt1949 wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:41 pm I swear that people exist in this world just to annoy me. :tjg:
ikr
stessier

Post by stessier »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:59 pm
Daehawk wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:48 pm uh oh...got a popup on logging into Yahoo mail. Seems the yare part of a place called OATH now and have a privacy policy up. Now I owrry.
No need to worry. If you're still using Yahoo mail, everybody already has your info anyway.
So after a bit more reading, I'm willing to dump my Yahoo account. I have a gmail account but would like a secondary address for spam-likely things. What other free services do people use?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

stessier wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:51 pm
So after a bit more reading, I'm willing to dump my Yahoo account. I have a gmail account but would like a secondary address for spam-likely things. What other free services do people use?
More Gmail.

I have three Gmail accounts. One based on my name that is only given to immediate family and friends and major institutions (Amazon, my bank, etc.), one based on my handle for general use, and one based on nonsense for anything I'm not 100% sure of. The last one has been changed several times over the years - if it gets spammy, I just delete it and make a new one.

You can even have the alternate Gmail accounts appear within your primary account so that you don't have to change logins every time.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I have hotmail/live/outlook, gmail, and yahoo. I probably have like 5-6 email accounts, and I don't really track all of them. :)
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

So, I lost my cell phone in the last couple of days. It's only a $20 phone so no big deal. Except the charges get renewed each month. I have to look on my CC to find what the company is to gives me service.
I call them up. Get guy from India with a thick accent of course. He wants to know my phone number.
I don't know. It was written on my phone. Okay, no problem, what's my sim number or serial number?
I don't know they on the phone too. So he says in with a thick Indian accent, um, oh,ee, ah, oo.
I tell him I have my CC charges if that would help. No.
I say never mind and call up my CC company and get them to stop any further charges from them.
I guess with my next phone I need to write down somewhere other than my phone my phone number and sim number and all that. :grund:
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Is there anyone that you've called recently (to their cell phone)? Or who has called you? You should be able to get your number from call logs.

But I feel for you. I carried my cell phone number in my wallet for months after I got a new one. :oops:

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

AWS260 wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:11 pm Name of the Year 2018 is upon us!
The championship round:

Jimbob Ghostkeeper
vs.
Dr. Narwhals Mating

I wish they could both win.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

What I do is I keep a copy of my own SMS and Call Log in my Evernote with IFTTT.

Come to think of it, wouldn't Google Contacts have everything?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

So I don't know how long ago, I broke down and started seeing a shrink per a strong recommendation from my PCP whose has been excellent to date but frustrated that my body seems to be killing itself. I allowed my shrink to put me on effexor after I had my first ever honest to goodness panic attack on Wellbutrin. (I don't recommend panic attacks. I thought anxiety sucks it, but nope, it's nothing compared to a full blown complete loss of self control, where curling up in to a little ball does no absolutely no help whatsoever) It took months to bring me up to full dosage (good) and then to quickly find out at full dosage, I'm not in a good way. Now, it's taken months to ween me off and with this form of withdraw I just wasted a weeks vacation. I can literally hear my eyes move.... Or I literally hallucinate hearing my eyes move when they move. I'm not sure which.

I don't know how people find the right head meds nor how they think it's worth the pursuit. Now that I'm going through this wringer again (something I said I wouldn't do after the last bout of this SSRI didn't work? Let's try this SSRI), I'm back to wondering if finding whatever it is I'm supposed to get out of the meds is worth the price of admission.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:45 pm May 9th is my birthday. Ill be 49. Im not sure if Ill celebrate or cry. Maybe both. Ive asked my wife to just skip it. Hers is in July. She will be 63. I thought maybe in June we could just do something together to celebrate them both. We have a gift card for Red Lobster that was her birthday gift 4 years ago. Its still good. Perhaps that would be fun. Just dont know any longer. Sometimes I feel like Ive died years back and haven't realized it. Sometimes I want to be dead and gone. Others I want to live and do things left undone. Just dont know. Hope life improves.
So being 49 is depressing you? Wait until you hit 60 and see how that makes you feel.

But remember, 50 is the new 38, or something like that.
Black Lives Matter
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

One of my flourescent light tubes is dead, but I forgot to measure the size, and my estimation skills are way off, apparently. I bought both 2 ft and 3 ft versions of T8, and turns out the one I need was a 4 ft version. :-P

But what's really weird is the pricing.

2ft: $11:35

3ft: $10.84

4ft: $7.62

This is ALL within Home Depot.

Too bad they don't make anything longer, eh? (Oh, and these are the LED version of the light, not true flourescent)
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:52 pm So I don't know how long ago, I broke down and started seeing a shrink per a strong recommendation from my PCP whose has been excellent to date but frustrated that my body seems to be killing itself. I allowed my shrink to put me on effexor after I had my first ever honest to goodness panic attack on Wellbutrin. (I don't recommend panic attacks. I thought anxiety sucks it, but nope, it's nothing compared to a full blown complete loss of self control, where curling up in to a little ball does no absolutely no help whatsoever) It took months to bring me up to full dosage (good) and then to quickly find out at full dosage, I'm not in a good way. Now, it's taken months to ween me off and with this form of withdraw I just wasted a weeks vacation. I can literally hear my eyes move.... Or I literally hallucinate hearing my eyes move when they move. I'm not sure which.

I don't know how people find the right head meds nor how they think it's worth the pursuit. Now that I'm going through this wringer again (something I said I wouldn't do after the last bout of this SSRI didn't work? Let's try this SSRI), I'm back to wondering if finding whatever it is I'm supposed to get out of the meds is worth the price of admission.
Assuming you haven't been on these already, I'm a big fan of Lexapro for depression/anxiety, or Paxil for more of an anxiety focus. Would recommend the extended release version of Paxil though (which has a generic as well), because regular Paxil really constipates. Also, Buspar (has generic) is a unique drug for anxiety and in my Practice has pretty limited side effects. I'm not convinced it's the most potent treatment out there but it's worth considering if you have run the gamut of common treatments.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Lordmortis, I've been there!

There are different kinds of depression/anxiety/etc and different kinds of drugs, and sometimes you have to experiment to discover which chemical strategy best addresses your patterns. I have several good friends who have responded radically differently to different medications. It's not random; it's particular.

I've been on Paxil, Wellbutrin, and Lexapro in sequence. They were all different. Personally, Lexapro fits me best, but I think it also required me to engage with a serious course of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy to achieve its best results.

This is an area where YMMV is everything. Talk to experts and talk hard.

Keep talking to us too!
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

That's very kind, all. I don't remember which all SSRIs I did. I went through about four of them and one of them with a chaser for something else. I know lexapro was one. I do want to say Paxil was another but it might have been Prozak. I know Zoloft was another. I stuck with it a long time before giving up and discovering withdraw for the first time. I'm not sure what I want to do this time around. I don't have the time to go through making myself a mess for unknown streteches of time, with the hope I find the magic pill that somehow makes my brain keep my body for stressing out so much. But I guess we;ll have a talk with the shrink and see what her next ideas are. She obviously knows more about it than the last person who put me on head meds does, but just because she's probably very good at darts doesn't mean the dart board approach is any better for my biochemestry than it was last time.

Note she is leaving me on Provigil (I think it's called) for the time being. I'm actually hoping this in concert with getting me back on the CPAP somehow ends up being the magic bullet and I don't have to go back on the other types of drugs.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

FedEx just marked an important package as 'delivery attempted and failed' because my house is, according to the driver, a business that is closed (it is not.)

They then marked the package for reattempt on the next business day, which they list as Tuesday. Not Monday.

:grund:
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Mother’s Day is in two weeks.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Humblebrag time: Today is the 512th consecutive day that my Fitbit has logged 10k+ steps. I was originally planning to get to 365 consecutive days, but my OCD won't let me break the streak. :lol:
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Max Peck wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:46 pm Humblebrag time: Today is the 512th consecutive day that my Fitbit has logged 10k+ steps. I was originally planning to get to 365 consecutive days, but my OCD won't let me break the streak. :lol:
Work started a program where they will give you $1k if you average 10k/day for the entire year. This has led to people at HQ leaving their desks and walking around the building during business hours. Always fun to see when you're in a meeting critical to the success of a major project.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

When my previous company decided to tie Fitbit performance to the amount they contributed to healthcare, I just started attaching the Fitbit to my sock. I have always had a tendency to bounce my foot/leg when sitting. So it was pretty easy to get the necessary steps while still being productive.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Put it on your dog.

I have no problem with the idea of walking 10k a day, but I sometimes miss the time it requires.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Late Thursday it felt like I was going to have a gum infection so I took a 2 year out of date Penicillin. Yesterday it was swollen up so I took one in the morning and one at night. Today I get up and its twice the size it was. Going to take my of that antibiotic today and if it doesn't help by tomorrow or Monday I have to go to the walk in clinic and get a shot and a new script. I dont even have any over the counter pain meds. I look like that Little Rascal that has a rag on his jaw and its all swollen up.
Enough

Post by Enough »

We just got a department email looking for a housing for a grad student studying endangered Asiatic wild ass. I am so immature. :horse: :lol:
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Better today. Not as swollen. Plan to take the antibiotic until Wednesday....unless it just makes me badly sick.