Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Anonymous Bosch

Re: Random randomness

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Brian wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 12:08 pm Which reminds me, I also have an 8TB NAS connected to my server and I need to rip all of my DVD/Blu-Rays to digital format and storage.
Can anybody recommend a good ripping program? I've tried a few free ones but so far they all have various issues or don't really work for me.
WinX DVD Ripper Platinum is your best bet. The hardware acceleration it provides greatly improves DVD ripping efficiency. Here's a CNET review that compares it with Wondershare DVD Ripper:
CNET.com wrote:Alas, though it's easy to turn a CD into iPod-friendly digital media--iTunes can do it, as can Windows Media Player--ripping a DVD requires a bit more muscle. That's why I tested the latest versions of two popular products: WinX DVD Ripper Platinum ($29.95) and Wondershare DVD Ripper Platinum ($39.95). (Apparently platinum is the, um, gold standard when it comes to ripping utilities.)

Basically, I wanted to see how well the two tools handled a new release like "Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs" and an older one like "Back to the Future." Again, these are movies I own; I believe creating a digital copy constitutes fair use, same as ripping a CD does.

For these fairly informal tests, I opted for medium-quality MPEG-4 conversion using preselected "iPhone" profiles. Also, my system has a quad-core AMD processor with 6GB of RAM, so performance results will undoubtedly vary unless you have similar hardware.

From a feature standpoint, the two programs are pretty similar. Both give you an abundance of conversion options, meaning you can rip your DVDs for viewing on devices other than just the iPhone and iPod (everything from Apple TV to Zune).

I'm happy to report that both programs ripped all my sample DVDs with ease. Wondershare occasionally produced an error while opening a disc, but it never interfered with ripping the actual movie.

Wondershare definitely has the snazzier, easier-to-use interface, but one point in WinX's favor is that it automatically reads the currently inserted DVD. With Wondershare, you have to point it to your DVD drive. On the other hand, WinX doesn't let you preview the selected track so you can verify what you're about to rip.

Even so, WinX wins the day for two key reasons: it costs $10 less than Wondershare, and it's much, much faster. It blazed through "Cloudy" in just over 15 minutes, an amazing time. Wondershare took nearly twice as long (about 27 minutes) to complete the same job. Likewise, WinX finished "Back to the Future" in just 22 minutes, while Wondershare spent 48 minutes on it.

I'm sure some readers will point to free solutions like Handbrake, but that app (which I like and use regularly) doesn't rip protected DVDs unless you pair it with increasingly outdated third-party tools.

Ultimately, if you want a fast, effective, and fairly user-friendly DVD-ripping solution, WinX DVD Ripper Platinum is the way to go--with Wondershare's eponymous product running it a close second.
And according to TechRadar...
TechRadar.com wrote:The best DVD ripper right now is: WinX DVD Ripper Platinum
If you're interested in backing up your DVD collection and don't want to be held back by time restrictions or slow processing, WinX DVD Ripper Platinum is the best tool we've tried. It isn't free, but you get a lot for your money, and can even handle discs that are encrypted, region-locked or unplayable. It can create videos files for playback on virtually any device too, with handy preset profiles so you can watch your favorite movies on a phone or tablet.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Since getting the oil and brake light changed / repaired Im thinking ahead to fixing the other parts of the car. I got a new estimate on the drivers window which is lower than expected. I can replace the drivers door panel myself I believe and I can also replace the headlights myself. I may or may not be able to redo the running lights myself. Depends on the tools I have and just how much is in the way on the car itself. This is all way in the future though. I 'might' be able to swing a piece a month. The headlights aren't a priority as I dont go anywhere at night. But if an emergency of some type happens well then ya Ill need those :) The door panel can wait as it works but it a broken clip only. I can only fix the window if I get a 2nd stimulus or save for months on end. Its annoying as hell right now because lobbies are closed but it can also wait.

Hehe I remember the Trans Am got to where the drivers door wouldn't open. So to get in or out you used the passenger side or the window. I remember saying Im too old to play a Duke boy. I was only 35 then. Sigh.

The mechanic stated the ball joints are shot and it needs struts and shocks. I mean hundreds if not over a thousand bucks. That will probably wait forever unless a wheel falls off. Then Im more likely to park it and buy another used car that I can pay on per month.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Headlites are easy to replace hard to align.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

And I dont have a flat area really with enough room to do it. I used to use parking lots but Im not out at night and pre align is not a good idea to get me to a place where I can align them lol. No worries for a while though.

Also yesterday at the store I noticed that Tbone steaks that are usually $5 - $6 were $17. I laughed.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

dbt1949 wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 7:01 pm Headlites are easy to replace hard to align.
(I think) if you're just replacing the high-intensity bulb inside the housing, alignment isn't a factor. If you're replacing old-style sealed beams, then it is. I base this on having replaced exactly one of each type in my life. Also, a gas station will align them for free as part of your annual inspection, if you have those.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

When I get around to it one day it will be the bulbs and housings. When we got the car in 2010 they were new and crystal clear. I even marveled at just how clean they were. But around 2015 they had gotten filth and water in there and they are totally dirty. You cant see at night with them. Its not on the outside either. They dont seal them because the heat makes them expand and contract so they have to stay unsealed. And it lets dust in over time. I had thought of taking them out and swishing vinegar and water around but with the hassle of that and time plus the cost of a set is not high its better to just replace. Also I plan to buy silverstar bulbs or whatever is best. Thought about LED but could be more trouble than they are worth.

The running lights are sorta the same. Both are old and now scuffed and fogged. Plus one bezel broke in half. I have one missing for 5 years now and had the parts in my trunk. I plan to simply get new lights and all. But thats a bit high so again another future project. Also Im not sure either work or if the wiring is still good to them.

The only plan anytime this year is repair the window but only if theres a second stimulus. Otherwise I cant afford anything until the house is done in 2024 or so. On the plus side not as expensive as I was told years ago. The window has not worked in 4 years I think.
Last edited by Daehawk on Sat May 30, 2020 9:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

When I lived in Louisiana the gas station I went to always wrote me up for misaligned headlites. It was a scam of course but they didn't look at anything else.
Halogen lights used to be a small bulb that cost a fortune and needed to be installed with gloves or they would go bad and they were very expensive to boot. I replaced one for a friend of mine once.
Are they still like that?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The bulbs are. If you get the oil from your finger on them it causes a hot spot and over time will burn out the bulb. My old Corolla took the dinner plate sized sealed glass light. I replaced one myself as a teen. Just got a new one at Autozone and took out 3 screws, installed the good one, and replaced the 3 screws and aligned it right there in front of Autozone.

The Mustang is even easier. Its only held in by 2 popcicle sticks of plastic. Pull both up and out and light is out. You align it but turning a screw. In fact when we got it it had only 1 in each light. I had to order a pair from the local Ford dealership. I found the receipt the other day cleaning a drawer out. I still remember that day.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Last time at the pantry they gave me some peanut butter that when I tried it made me say "eww whats wrong with this?" Turns out it was less salt less sugar. I hate those products. But it being free and me needy I didn't let it stop me this time like always before. After a couple weeks I think Im coming around to it. I didn't think "ew" this time. Why soon I may like the stuff. Sure would be better for me I guess if I did.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 1:46 pm WinX DVD Ripper Platinum is your best bet.
Thanks. Ill give it a try.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

We’ve had protests/riots all day, there’s a curfew in place, groups over 50 still aren’t allowed to gather, yet some group decided to start a HUGE fireworks display at the south end of the Salt Lake Valley. Full, massive aerial fireworks, loud enough to shake all my windows.

It’s been going on for around 20 minutes now, and I have no idea why they’d would do it tonight, of all nights.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Skinypupy wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 12:19 am We’ve had protests/riots all day, there’s a curfew in place, groups over 50 still aren’t allowed to gather, yet some group decided to start a HUGE fireworks display at the south end of the Salt Lake Valley. Full, massive aerial fireworks, loud enough to shake all my windows.

It’s been going on for around 20 minutes now, and I have no idea why they’d would do it tonight, of all nights.
People were lighting fireworks somewhere around here last night as well. WTH? Graduation? Not what I want to hear while I am watching the news of riots and looting all over the US.

My new neighbors like to gather and drink and be loud in their driveway, which it a couple of feet from bedroom window (This started before Whitmer said small gatherings were OK)
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Apparently it was part of a planned multi-city display to honor COVID-19 first responders.

A perfectly fine idea on a normal day. But yesterday, at the end of a full-day riot and everyone under curfew orders? Not so much. When they started, I couldn’t see the fireworks and could only hear the explosions. I honestly thought it was gunfire or some other sort of escalation of the riot.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Gotta mow in the morning and 3 things are going to make it tougher than it should be.

1. Mulcher blade is dull
2. Grass will be damp
3. Grass sprouted up fast after rain last week.

So combine those and its going to make for tough mowing. It wont be until Wednesday until I hit Lowes and/or Home Depot to find a wrench to get that blade off.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when it's time for Daehawk to figure out how to cut his lawn again.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Daehawk, are you zoned for goats?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Dont know...goats....flamethrower....concrete ....dull mowers for sure.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I mowed today. There was so much pollen, and so many oak flowers, and it was so dry, that I wore a dust mask and was still sneezing and coughing by the time I finished. The struggle is real.

My yard's never been buried in so much oak detritus. We're going to have a bumper crop of acorns this fall.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Oo oo oo a new word!
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

While solving a problem with Wife's new monitor today, I looked up the Amazon order to find its model number. Amazon thinks the monitor's been in transit for a month and displays a big REQUEST REFUND button. UPS shows the package as "shipped" with a note that it "May be lost."

That refund button is so tempting, but it would be stealing. But it would be stealing from Jeff Bezos, and stealing from the richest man in the world doesn't trip my conscience. But the order was fulfilled by a third party, so it would be stealing from them, and that would be wrong. Probably.

I fixed the problem and it's a fine monitor, so the button remains unclicked.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Kraken wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 10:57 pm While solving a problem with Wife's new monitor today, I looked up the Amazon order to find its model number. Amazon thinks the monitor's been in transit for a month and displays a big REQUEST REFUND button. UPS shows the package as "shipped" with a note that it "May be lost."

That refund button is so tempting, but it would be stealing. But it would be stealing from Jeff Bezos, and stealing from the richest man in the world doesn't trip my conscience. But the order was fulfilled by a third party, so it would be stealing from them, and that would be wrong. Probably.

I had the same thing happen with something I ordered recently...Amazon still displays it as "on the way but running late" and is offering an option to request a refund. I got the item a month ago.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I got a refund on something that came in 2-3 months later. I kept it.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Kraken wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 10:57 pm While solving a problem with Wife's new monitor today, I looked up the Amazon order to find its model number. Amazon thinks the monitor's been in transit for a month and displays a big REQUEST REFUND button. UPS shows the package as "shipped" with a note that it "May be lost."

Consider it an honesty test. Assume they know where it is.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

CNBC was interviewing Melody Hobson about race and corporate America. She did a good job as usual.

At one point she compared diversity programs to profits and quarterly goals, etc. Everyone says they will "try" on diversity but they just do profits, earnings targets, etc. She said, "there is do or do not." I was like "she just stole that from Yoda. Then she said, as if in rebuke directly to me, " As my husband wrote, 'there is no try'". Totally forgot she was married to Lucas. It was a nice moment in an otherwise bleak morning.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

You would probably be a shitty looter.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Z-Corn wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:46 pm

You would probably be a shitty looter.
Indeed. I learned at a very young age that I suck at lying, so I never developed all the other skills that go along with it.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Smoove_B wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 9:02 pm The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when it's time for Daehawk to figure out how to cut his lawn again.
Brought a smile to my face today! Thanks!
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

why does the mayor need to impose curfew at 6pm?? i'm still at work and need to get to the grocery store.

EDIT: was about to leave but couldn't find my pandemic mask! now i'm stuck in the apartment for the rest of the night
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I have a package that requires a signature coming from UPS. They now give the capability to get a live map view of the truck's location. It is about a half mile from my house in the suburbs. The tracking says it should be here in the next 11 hours. I don't think they have much faith in their drivers.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:56 am I have a package that requires a signature coming from UPS. They now give the capability to get a live map view of the truck's location. It is about a half mile from my house in the suburbs. The tracking says it should be here in the next 11 hours. I don't think they have much faith in their drivers.
Only being able to make right turns does add to the challenge.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

stessier wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:30 am
coopasonic wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:56 am I have a package that requires a signature coming from UPS. They now give the capability to get a live map view of the truck's location. It is about a half mile from my house in the suburbs. The tracking says it should be here in the next 11 hours. I don't think they have much faith in their drivers.
Only being able to make right turns does add to the challenge.
Hopefully they get it figured out eventually. two hours later and they are still bouncing around the neighborhood, never more than a half mile from my house.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Car insurance is down to $25 a month. Not bad for a male and a Mustang. Yes its old and a V6 but its pretty :) And it doesn't leak. Now if only house insurance was so cheap. I cant recall what it was for full coverage when we first got it. Im thinking full would run me about $40. Im still thinking about going back to full when the home is paid off. If its wrecked I cant buy a new used car except with payments. But its 19 years old now so full probably wouldn't get me much anyways.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Came across a story that a guy from here is the one who came up with and wrote the screen plays for both Pacific Rim and Clash of the Titans. Neat. Went to my high school....long after me though.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Going to town is maddening. People are stupid or slow or both. Banks are the slowest places in the world since all this started. There can be one person in front of you and you still sit there so long its better to shut your engine off. If theres 3 or more just pull out a movie.

In stores I saw about 1 in 50 with a mask. Old people seems to be the least mask using. And I swear if there was one old fart coughing their head off it was 10 . Geebus they freak me out.

Traffic sucks ass. People pull out in front of you then drive 50% of the posted speed. Or they sit and sit and sit waiting to pull out.

I thought Id get the BOGO Whopper at BK. Pulled in and the drive thru was wrapped around. I had planned to go in anyways but the drive thru was blocking the parking and I couldn't pass around them. I ended up backing out and leaving.

At the end I was just about home and all I had to do was make a left off the bypass. Guess what? A wreck blocked it. I had to turn right and go a long way around when I was SO close.

This day had it in for me. At least I wasn't the wrecked part. Coulda been worse.

The only funny thing was in CVS trying to find some food I cant find anywhere now I used their hand sanitizer while in line. I always smell the stuff after I rub it on...bout knocked myself out and started coughing. Stronger hand sanitizer I ever used I think.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Perhaps you shouldn't visit town for awhile.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

So Comcast is down for much of the midwest. Not just the internet, but Comcast's status page, their app, everything is kerput. Similar reports are coming in from New York, Colorado, the Seattle area, the San Francisco area.

Enlarge Image
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

From what I can see on Downdetector it appears to be more than just Comcast.

Apparently someone cut a fiber cable this afternoon.
An employee outside of the Comcast business office at 1275 N. Water St. in Decatur said around 2:30 p.m. that there was a fiber optic cut affecting Central Illinois.
Last edited by Max Peck on Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

dbt1949 wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:32 pm Perhaps you shouldn't visit town for awhile.
Id love that. But things need doing. I was behind one old lady who sounded like she was trying to hack up her lung. I quickly changed lanes and passed her. As I passed I noriced she had her dog in the buggy and he was eyeing me as if to say "Help meeee" I hope she was just a heavy smoker.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I read the label on the sardines I bought today because Im keeping up with my calories and such better. In big bold letters it states....

Warning: Contains FISH

My sardines contains fish! OMG what am I going to do!!!????
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Got chipmunk holes everywhere. We've had the cute little guys for many many years. But years ago we would see them. I haven't seen a single chipmunk yet my entire front yard is covered in chipmunk holes. Theres a hole every 2 - 3 feet. Not kidding.