Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Re: Random randomness

Post by Daehawk »

I smell pot roast cooking! 9 more hours and we can eat some. Should last a week. Was lucky and came across a meat sale at the store today. Chuck roast $7. Was small but fit the slow cooker . Added salt/pepper, one onion, pack of baby carrots, 6 small potatoes, 2 cans cream of chicken soup, and a packet of onion soup mix and some water. The onions are smelling wonderful after the first hour. Not bad that we can eat a week on about $12.

I wanted a 7 bone chuck roast but I dont think anyone in this town knows what that is.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

You don't eat until 8 PM? How is it that anybody is still alive at your home?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Just another day.

LA Confidential question...ill spoiler it because I doubt anyone needs that but I had not seen it until now myself so ya never know. I watched most of it anyways so maybe I missed the reason of the question.
Spoiler:
At the end why was Bud not also recognized as a hero? he seemed to be hid in the car. he had been treated and lived. Was he hiding out pretending to be dead? Dont get him not being a hero.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

dbt1949 wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:18 pm You don't eat until 8 PM? How is it that anybody is still alive at your home?
Wife doesn't get home from work until 7:30 at the earliest, so we never eat before 8, and sometimes not until 9. I have a light snack around 6 if I know she's going to be late.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:32 pm Just another day.

LA Confidential question...ill spoiler it because I doubt anyone needs that but I had not seen it until now myself so ya never know. I watched most of it anyways so maybe I missed the reason of the question.
Spoiler:
At the end why was Bud not also recognized as a hero? he seemed to be hid in the car. he had been treated and lived. Was he hiding out pretending to be dead? Dont get him not being a hero.
Spoiler:
It's complicated. Basically, though, Bud was a relic of a bygone era. He represented the lawlessness and brutality of the prior era. Ed represented the new era. One with a lot more accountability and recognition of laws and rights. In this case they essentially "agreed" on an approach: Ed would get the fame (because that's his end goal) and Bud would get the girl. Remember that they both loved Lynn. But the "nice guy" Ed actually cared more about his career and power. So the "bad guy" got the girl. It was also additional illustration that both characters have a lot more depth and are not the stereotypes that they initially appear to be.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ok thank you. That makes sense. I hated Bud earlier in the movie but changed my mind. I thought the movie was really good....at least what I caught. Wife not so much.

As for Farmer Hoggett
Spoiler:
One day I will find another show or movie where he is not an asshole again. So far just Babe and Star Trek First Contact hahahah.
Last edited by Daehawk on Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:55 pm I hated Bud earlier in the movie but changed my mind. I thought the movie was really good....at least what I caught.
I think that was their intent. They wanted you to get sucked into the stereotype at the beginning, and see Bud as all violence with no redeemable characteristics. He's the attack dog that lives to hurt whatever he's pointed at.

It's one of my favorite movies. I'd strongly suggest watching the entire thing if you haven't. Just keep an open mind as it unfolds.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

If you loved the movie, do yourself a favor and read the book. I was simply blown away by how good the book was, even having watched the movie first. (You could take it a step further and read the entire L.A. Quartet by James Ellroy, which consists of The Black Dahlia, The Big Nowhere, L.A. Confidential, and White Jazz.)
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:12 pm If you loved the movie, do yourself a favor and read the book. I was simply blown away by how good the book was, even having watched the movie first. (You could take it a step further and read the entire L.A. Quartet by James Ellroy, which consists of The Black Dahlia, The Big Nowhere, L.A. Confidential, and White Jazz.)
Did you like Perfidia?

I didn't like it as much as I liked the books of the First Quartet. It just seemed rushed but smaller in scope. I'll probably read it again before the next book in the Second Quartet comes out.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:39 pm HP
HP was recently caught in the act using a “security update” to prevent its printers from operating with a number of recycled and third-party ink cartridges. After much outcry the company has relented and is issuing a rollback option — but they’ll be damned if they admit any wrongdoing.
Epson
The company's fake software update screwed over owners of many printer models, deceptively reconfiguring their printers so that they could no longer use third-party ink.

This violates all kinds of state laws, including the laws of Texas, where an Electronic Frontier Foundation supporter lives; when he tipped us off about the Epson scam, we complained to the Texas Attorney General on his behalf.
EFF
In late 2016 or early 2017, Epson started sending deceptive updates to many of its printers. Just like HP, Epson disguised these updates as routine software improvements, when really they were poison pills, designed to downgrade printers so they could only work with Epson's expensive ink systems.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:41 pm Lots of printer compnay shenanigans!
I was just telling a user about this today as I was changing three drums on his printer. He pointed out to me the shipped-to date on a waste toner cartridge on the shelf was from 2016. I told him to use that one first while he still could!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ink is why I only owned 1 inkjet. It both dried out and clogged and cost a fortune. That was like 1997. Epson. I did without until 2010 or so. Got a monochrome laser. Love it.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:15 pm Ink is why I only owned 1 inkjet. It both dried out and clogged and cost a fortune. That was like 1997. Epson. I did without until 2010 or so. Got a monochrome laser. Love it.
They can do it with toner also. Any printer consumable. And I'm not talking home market here...little shitty $50 inkjet carts...

A lot of businesses are on auto-renew programs for their printer consumables. The printer they lease phones home and the printer company sends consumables as needed. It's cheaper and efficient. You don't have to pay someone to babysit the printer inventory.

Printer company also sends down firmware updates at will. Every consumable is chipped. Old stock could be expired overnight.

I see many places that have $1000+ worth of toner on their shelves because, "It just keeps coming in!"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Oh I know they can. But Ive not seen any problems from Brother. In fact they sent me a free toner with my printer a few weeks after I got it. I was looking and I can get a off name toner for it for $20. Not bad for 2500 pages.
Last edited by Daehawk on Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

Z-Corn wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:13 pm Did you like Perfidia?
I love Perfidia!
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Z-Corn wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:13 pm
ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:12 pm If you loved the movie, do yourself a favor and read the book. I was simply blown away by how good the book was, even having watched the movie first. (You could take it a step further and read the entire L.A. Quartet by James Ellroy, which consists of The Black Dahlia, The Big Nowhere, L.A. Confidential, and White Jazz.)
Did you like Perfidia?

I didn't like it as much as I liked the books of the First Quartet. It just seemed rushed but smaller in scope. I'll probably read it again before the next book in the Second Quartet comes out.
I was a bit disappointed in it. It was definitely enjoyable overall, but sometimes Ellroy falls back on unbelievable coincidences too much for my taste, and he did that here, IMO. On the plus side, I felt he did that with The Black Dahlia, too, but the rest of the original quartet was lights out. Maybe he's just following suit?
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I bought an Epson after my last printer died. I got tired of being unable to print because I couldn't afford $50 cartridges. I checked this one and found that the cartridges were only $15. Got it home. The included cartridges had enough ink for three pages. I installed the extras I had and went to print some documents. Those $15 cartridges? They print 50 pages, tops. The $50 cartridges did about 200. This is actually more expensive. Oh, and you have to have all four colors to print black, so if your magenta goes dry, you can't print anything in any color.

I still have it. I still hate it, but at least third party cartridges keep it usable. Now I know that I can never update it. Good thing I kept the out-of-date installers.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Going from every day temps of low 70s to low 90s down to low 50s and high 60s in one day feels damn cool / cold. I hate winter. Its starting.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

High today is supposed to be 62 degrees. Tomorrow is 61 degrees. Sunday... 27 degrees (and snow). Monday back up to 43 degrees. Then it continues warming until it's back in the 60s by Thursday.

Black Lives Matter

pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

One of the craziest holes in one you'll ever see.

Hodor.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I suppose the new bar for impressive is "Hit the ball, lands in the hole, doesn't bounce out, never touches the green" with this accomplishment?
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Paingod wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:29 am I suppose the new bar for impressive is "Hit the ball, lands in the hole, doesn't bounce out, never touches the green" with this accomplishment?
Nah, that's been done many times before. This shot is more impressive.
Hodor.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Stores sell knives and swords claimed to be Damascus. Is it not the truth that the secret to Damascus steel was lost centuries ago and that the stuff they claim to be made of it now is simply acid etched regular steel?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:47 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:32 am
Blackhawk wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:25 pm Ugh, my teeth are acting up again, specifically the left upper molar that's broken several times. It's been hurting for a full 24 hours now. Usually if I just bit something wrong, it stops after a couple of hours. It may be infected. I've got a bottle of antibiotics I was given by a friend (it's a thing poor people do, go with it), but don't want to waste them if it isn't really infected.
I'm at almost 72 hours on the antibiotics, and they don't seem to be doing much. It seems to be an exposed nerve rather than an infection. Every 'free' or sliding scale dentist I've found takes local patients only, and none of them are local to me. Even the only dental school around was a bust. Ugh.
I've got an appointment with my regular dentist day after tomorrow. I'm just going to have to put it on my card and hold the debt for now. I don't really have any other choice.

/edit - and by 'regular', I mean once every five years. ;)
It's gone as of two days ago. It's going to be a lot more expensive than I'd anticipated. It seems that due to all the radiation to my head during cancer treatment, I'm particularly susceptible to jaw osteonecrosis. Damage the bone, and there's a chance that instead of healing, the bone just dies. Given that my teeth are in my skull, that'd be bad. That means that any future extractions have to be surgical extractions to minimize bone trauma. Surgical extractions cost several times as much as just getting them pulled. That means that this will probably eat my holiday budget, but it's one of those things that can't be let go.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Daehawk, words cannot adequately describe how badly I'd like to meet you for lunch one day.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

What setting and mood?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Your choice! The more random the better! :D
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Couldn't be anything but random with me. You read my posts right? :)
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:27 pm Daehawk, words cannot adequately describe how badly I'd like to meet you for lunch one day.
Considering your line of work, or at least experience, don't you think standing behind a one way foot of plexiglass might be a better option when observing?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Wait what is his work?
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Wait, he's not Louis CK is he?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Heaven in a can

Enlarge Image
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

WTF is potted meat? Does it grow next to potted plants?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

At least make sure it's a food product.

Containing one of my favorite phrases in existence: partially defatted cooked pork fatty tissue
It's almost as if people are the problem.
morlac

Post by morlac »

This thread truly is Random!

May I present Smilie Theater!

:auto-car:
:auto-layrubber:

:auto-camptrailer:
:auto-driving:

:auto-dirtbike:

:auto-swerve:

:auto-crash:
:angelic-sunshine:
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Just like all Tom Cruise movies.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Can you make home made plant food? Me and my wife have two small potted cacti. We bought them about 4 years ago. They are different types but both had blooms when purchased. The first year one lost its flower but the other kept its but in a closed state. I keep them in a window so they can get sun but nothing ever changes. They have not grown at all or rebloomed. Ive tried never watering them and watering them every other day. Ive put them on the porch in full sunlight for weeks and no change.

I think the dirt is bare. Other than getting new dirt in the yard is there something I can use in my shelves to make some home made fertilizer?
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Considering where they grow naturally I wouldn't think they'd need much in the way of food and water.
Maybe you have two male plants.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:26 pm Can you make home made plant food?
Yes.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thanks Max. All that stuff is exactly stuff I would think would kill a plant. Who knew.