Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Holman

Re: Random randomness

Post by Holman »

Default wrote:I swear to God, if I ever decide to date again, I am not friending them on facebook. The last one ended up friending 17 of my peeps, and now she's embedded like a tick. I have to post shit through an "everyone but..." filter.
Dating in a world with social media must be a nightmare!

No wonder the kids today just say "Fuck It" and don't bother with filters.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Holman wrote:
Default wrote:I swear to God, if I ever decide to date again, I am not friending them on facebook. The last one ended up friending 17 of my peeps, and now she's embedded like a tick. I have to post shit through an "everyone but..." filter.
Dating in a world with social media must be a nightmare!

No wonder the kids today just say "Fuck It" and don't bother with filters.
They don't bother dating, from what I read.

Post by Default »

I certainly wish that l had married someone worthy of me.
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Skinypupy wrote:This Windows update says I need to uninstall Steam in order for it to be able to install.

Hmmm...I don't think so.
I saw that once before. Exit Steam, rename the Steam folder, update Windows, rename it back.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Rip

Post by Rip »

Jolor wrote:
Max Peck wrote:
Sectoid wrote:
dbt1949 wrote:Where have all the flowers gone?
Wherever the cowboys went.
Young girls picked all the cowboys? Every one?
Young girls always pick cowboys.
Why shouldn't they. They are America's team and they really know how to treat the ladies.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Potty training overly stubborn children might be the most patience-testing activity the world has ever known.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Skinypupy wrote:Potty training overly stubborn children might be the most patience-testing activity the world has ever known.
My daughter peed AND pooped her first time on her potty without a diaper yesterday. I imagine it will never be that good again for years.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

We have literally tried everything. Stickers, treats, prizes, reading on the potty, singing songs on the potty, watching videos on the potty, etc. At the advice of our pediatrician, we've tried the negative reinforcement route as well. Taking away toys, privileges, books, treats, screen time, talking about being a baby instead of a big boy, etc.

Wonder Twin 1a is doing pretty well (the occasional accident, but he usually gets there), but Wonder Twin 1b absolutely, 100% refuses to poop in the toilet. No form of positive or negative reinforcement has any effect at all. We've gone as extreme as taking away his comfort "lovey" that is with him 24/7, but even that doesn't help.

Problem is, he never actually just poops. He just lets out a little bit at a time, so we end up changing half a dozen streaked pull-ups for days on end. It's infuriating.

I'm at my wits end, and literally have no idea what to do here. I've read every potty training book, article, and blog post, and nothing makes a single bit of difference for Twin 1a. They turned 4 in June, and are waaaaay past the point where this shouldn't be a thing anymore.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I have some friends who finally just gave up and decided to let peer pressure do what they could not. "You never see high school kids in diapers" is the way she put it. Maybe if your kid socializes with other 4-year-olds that are housebroken, he will be shamed into conforming. (I would think that his twin could play the same role.)

There's always the enema route, although I think that fell out of favor in the '60s.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Wow that sucks. My granddaughter turned 3 in March and has been entirely self sufficient in the poop department for several months. I think she really wants to please her parents. They won't allow you in preschool if you are not potty trained. And her younger brother does everything she does so will probably follow suit even earlier. Good luck!
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

There are three things that you cannot force another human being to do: Eat, Sleep, and Poop in a toilet. Like many things in life, we’ve been conditioned to believe that the “average” is a hard and fast rule, and that violation of the average is somehow an indicator that something is “wrong”.

I went through this with my oldest. The good news is that you’ll get through it. The bad news is that it can still take a while. Starting at around 2 years old, we tried *everything*. He did the same thing in terms of holding it in. It led to a lot of accidents later on because holding it in can affect the nerves in the area, such that you can not know that you have to go (or that you *are* going).

It was unpleasant. He started kindergarten when he was six years old, and you can’t go to kindergarten with pull-ups on. So on the first day of kindergarten, he was still having an issue. But, he went to kindergarten without a pull-up and never had an accident. He would occasionally have issues for a little while longer, but it worked out.

He also struggled with having accidents at night, and that’s when we learned that all of this is normal. About have of kids stop having night time accidents around 2 years old. About half of the remaining kids by 3 years old. About half of the remaining kids at 4 years old, etc. We won the lottery and he lasted for quite a while. In that case though, you can’t make it through the night without accidents until your body starts producing an enzyme or something, and he just wasn’t producing it.

My daughter didn’t have any of those issues, but couldn’t/wouldn’t sleep on her own until she was like 10 or 11.

We could have spent countless nights forcing our will on them to no avail, but for what? So we didn’t have to suffer the humiliation of not meeting average guidelines?

They are 16 and 14 now and everything is totally normal and it all worked out.

It’s really unlikely that the Wonder Twin will still have this issue at 16, so just hang tight. It will resolve at some point and everything will be fine.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Plus you can bring it up later in life when they are older to razz them at family gatherings. :)

I think I was 15 and my girlfriend just didn't want to change me. I keed. Or do I?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

RunningMn9 wrote:It’s really unlikely that the Wonder Twin will still have this issue at 16, so just hang tight. It will resolve at some point and everything will be fine.
This is the one thing that is keeping me sane through this whole process.

We were hoping that once one of them started the other would follow suit, but no dice. Was also hoping peer pressure would help, but that has exactly zero effect on him (that goes for anything, not just this). He pees in the toilet just fine (although we usually have to take him in there...he isn't good about figuring out when to go on his own), but pooping is just a total no-go.

We actually going to make an appointment for him to see the doc about it. I always tell him "just try to give it a little push" when he's on the toilet, and about half the time lately we get a very sincere "ouchie!" Need to make sure there's not something else weird going on there. I think it's probably just his constant diaper rash because he sharts all goddamn day long, but want to double check.

He'll get there eventually, but we've now only got a few months left to figure it out before he starts kindergarten. I'd really like for him not to be the kid crapping his pants in the classroom.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

I hear you, we went through the same fears. Hopefully it works out for you as it did for us. Godspeed sir.
And in banks across the world
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Is Muslim intentionally misspelled?
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

formerly common but now old-fashioned, increasingly rare, and sometimes offensive variant of muslim
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote:
Is Muslim intentionally misspelled?
It isn't. It is just an archaic spelling.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

So Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews are all having potty training problems?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

And how does Sharia Law handle such things?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I think stoning and beheading is the standard modus operandi
Rip

Post by Rip »

Daehawk wrote:I think stoning and beheading is the standard modus operandi
I will get right to work on getting myself stoned.....
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

You can stone yourself many times but behead yourself only once....so I hear.

Post by Default »

Daehawk wrote:You can stone yourself many times but behead yourself only once....so I hear.
You're going to need a moyel for that.
Jamesgoole

Random randomness

Post by Jamesgoole »

why does everyone think illidan will side with the scourge? i for one think theres no way he will voluntarily side with them.
as for who the lich king is going to possess... ever think about jaina? just a random thought, but with her already formidable powers would make the lich king that much more powerful.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I think we ought to supply a little Sharia Law here.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Jamesgoole wrote:why does everyone think illidan will side with the scourge? i for one think theres no way he will voluntarily side with them.
as for who the lich king is going to possess... ever think about jaina? just a random thought, but with her already formidable powers would make the lich king that much more powerful.
That is seriously a very good bot, they just forgot to update him, he's about 4 expansions behind ;)
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

At the advice of a few people, we got over the potty training hump by just putting the twins in underwear. The argument was that kids really don't like the feeling of pee or poop in their underwear, and diapers and pull ups are too good at hiding that feeling (especially with pee). I was skeptical it would work, since I figured they'd be feeling the poop in their pull ups or underwear the same way, but by God it did. We've been pull up free (except at nighttime) for 3-4 weeks now. The boy pooped his pants once, and then had a partial poop another time (finished that one on the potty), and he's had a handful of pee accidents (only one in the last week). The girl has had zero accidents (knock on wood). I can't say it will work for everyone, but if you haven't tried it yet, give it a shot (I recommend starting on a weekend when everyone is home). We were getting really frustrated before we just decided to make the move to underpants, and now we wish we had tried it sooner.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

After trying everything else, we tried a long weekend without any protection for our most stubborn kid. He ran around the house with no diaper and no underwear, and strict notice that he wasn't an animal and was not to pee or poop anywhere but the toilet. After days of holding his poop, we opted for a suppository laxative and told him exactly why it was happening. He then spent a miserable hour+ on the toilet fighting against the laxative. My wife eventually made me give up and put him in bed - where he relaxed and promptly shit himself, much to his horror at having poop in his bedding.

That was the last time he fought using the toilet.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Spent 4 hours on Friday trying to figure out why Salesforce customer-facing page is refusing to search through case comments. Tried to install a custom app from their app exchange that is much better at searching but couldn't integrate it into our page because...I'm not a f'ing Salesforce admin! But I'm gonna have to figure it out at some point because I need our customers to be able to search through previously given answers so they stop asking the same stupid questions over and over.

Today a consultant confirmed for me that there is a limitation on the search functionality (WTF?), but in the process of figuring that out, he broke our customer support page...good thing we are still rolling it out to customers, so very few are using it. Also good thing that I happened to remember how I built it in the first place (which is not necessarily a given at this point...) so I could fix it fast. I think I'm done asking him for help, I'll just have to build a sandbox and figure shit out myself. Although...again...how the fuck did this end up being part of my job description?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It’s funny how you think the availability of previous answers is going to make customers stop asking the same stupid questions.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Isgrimnur wrote:It’s funny how you think the availability of previous answers is going to make customers stop asking the same stupid questions.
Well, yeah, that's true :) I still have to fix the search functionality, since otherwise our CMIO is going to blow a gasket.

Post by Default »

Forcing myself to go to the local blues jam, not to play, but just to be around people. Unless l start cultivating an expanded social circle, I'm going to be screwed when l retire in ten years.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

You can always build that circle at retirement, but yeah, never too early to start.
stessier

Post by stessier »

That's so odd - I'm looking forward to retirement so I can drop my social circle to immediate family.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

When can I ditch immediately family from my social circle as well?
-Coop
Black Lives Matter

Post by Default »

Funny, in my baby book, at three months it says "slow warmer".
I find it difficult to make friends, because of the continuous moving that we did when I was a child, but if I am not around people, i start having thoughts that are... dark. When I was married, my social life revolved around my wife and that is who I really wanted to spend my time with. Now that that option is no longer on the table, I have to plan to fill the void there. It's like financial planning, you don't wait til you are 64 to think about how you are going to live when you retire.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Yes you do.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

ImLawBoy wrote:At the advice of a few people, we got over the potty training hump by just putting the twins in underwear. The argument was that kids really don't like the feeling of pee or poop in their underwear, and diapers and pull ups are too good at hiding that feeling (especially with pee). I was skeptical it would work, since I figured they'd be feeling the poop in their pull ups or underwear the same way, but by God it did. We've been pull up free (except at nighttime) for 3-4 weeks now. The boy pooped his pants once, and then had a partial poop another time (finished that one on the potty), and he's had a handful of pee accidents (only one in the last week). The girl has had zero accidents (knock on wood). I can't say it will work for everyone, but if you haven't tried it yet, give it a shot (I recommend starting on a weekend when everyone is home). We were getting really frustrated before we just decided to make the move to underpants, and now we wish we had tried it sooner.
Yeah, we've been trying the underwear thing for the last few weeks. It has worked somewhat with Wonder Twin 1a, and he gets through most days without an accident. Although he did decide last night to take his pants off in his room and start to pee, then walk from his room, down the hall, into the bathroom, back out of the bathroom, and into the kitchen...all while still peeing. I was literally scrubbing floors and carpets for over an hour. Furious.

"Big boy underpants" do nothing with Wonder Twin 1b. He just doesn't care at all. He was sitting on the (thankfully faux-leather) couch watching a movie, peed himself, then sat in it for probably over an hour without even batting an eye. It simply doesn't register with him at all, for whatever reason. Combine that with his penchant for streaking multiple sets of underwear every day, and it starts to become rather time consuming. Washing 6 pair of crapped-in underpants every day is endlessly frustrating, so Mrs. Skinypupy (who is home with him all day) reverted back to pull-ups.

We have a doc appt next week, and hopefully he'll have some advice to save our sanity. :)
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Ugh. Yeah, we probably would have switched back to pull ups if we had gone through that, too. Good luck.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Skinypupy wrote:... he did decide last night to take his pants off in his room and start to pee, then walk from his room, down the hall, into the bathroom, back out of the bathroom, and into the kitchen...all while still peeing. I was literally scrubbing floors and carpets for over an hour. Furious.
While our youngest was closing in on finishing his training, he was running around without underwear after a shower and went downstairs. On his way down, he paused on the bottom stair and started urinating. My wife was nearby and was moving to intercept and scold when he suddenly motioned to his junk and exclaimed "See?! SEE?!" as though trying to accuse it of being bad so he wouldn't be punished. The wife was so caught off guard and amused that he got away with it, mostly. Still an ongoing family joke.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.