Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Paingod

Re: Random randomness

Post by Paingod »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:32 pmDo self-checkout lines not exist in Indiana?
If they're not going to discount your groceries and goods for doing the job for them, why do it?
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Paingod wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:38 pm
Anonymous Bosch wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:32 pmDo self-checkout lines not exist in Indiana?
If they're not going to discount your groceries and goods for doing the job for them, why do it?
Because I can be out in 5 minutes rather than 30.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

stessier wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:39 pm
If you're willing to be a small army of elderly hoarders, time is on your side.
Black Lives Matter

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

"Please don't give me a haircut that makes me look like Zippy the pinhead"

....things I should have told my barber about an hour ago.
Covfefe!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I decided to make spaghetti today. But the canned sauce the food bank gives me if very bland. I end up adding salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder. Today I had two large sweet onions going to waste so decided to use them. My wife loved sauteed onions and got me into them too. I decided to make them into that and then add some of those to the sauce. After putting half into it I still had half. Instead of simply eating them I decided to try my luck at making caramelized onions. The only wine I had though was Japanese plume wine sake. So gave it a go. OMG they are great! Very sweet and taste amazeballs. Wow. And the sauce turned out great too for the noodles. Win win.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hepcat wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:47 pm "Please don't give me a haircut that makes me look like Zippy the pinhead"

Pics or it didn't happen.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

stessier wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:39 pm
Exactly. Plus the hidden bonus of entirely negating any banal checkout clerk small talk. But perhaps they don't cotton to such fancy-pants techno-demonolatry in rural Indiana?
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:53 pm
hepcat wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:47 pm "Please don't give me a haircut that makes me look like Zippy the pinhead"

Pics or it didn't happen.
Christ, you wanna ever sleep again?
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Eh...
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I find checking out and bagging a week's worth of groceries for my family (5 people) is overwhelming. Where I shop, there just isn't the room to do it at the self-checkout stations. If I'm just grabbing a few items, though, I'm all over the self-checkout.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
telcta

Post by telcta »

That's where I like Aldi's. The cashier scans and throws everything in the next cart... I push the cart to a bagging area and take my time bagging everything. Sometimes I'm amazed at how fast I can get thru the checkout even when they're really busy. And screw that coupon clipping nonsense. It's been my go to store for about 6 months now.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

In my experience, Costco reigns supreme as the champ of checking out serious quantities of groceries in a hurry. And any coupon discounts are all handled automatically.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:32 pm

Do self-checkout lines not exist in Indiana?
Yep! But I have seven days worth of food for four people. Self checkouts do not work well with a cart filled to the top. By the time you're a third of the way through you run out of room on the scale, at which point you are stuck because you can't remove items. And that's before you get to the produce. And the sale items. And calling the attendant over seven times while she's 'busy' standing in the corner ignoring you.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:14 pm I find checking out and bagging a week's worth of groceries for my family (5 people) is overwhelming. Where I shop, there just isn't the room to do it at the self-checkout stations. If I'm just grabbing a few items, though, I'm all over the self-checkout.
I scan and bag as I go, so checkout takes under 5 minutes and everything is packed just-so.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Kraken wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:49 pm
ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:14 pm I find checking out and bagging a week's worth of groceries for my family (5 people) is overwhelming. Where I shop, there just isn't the room to do it at the self-checkout stations. If I'm just grabbing a few items, though, I'm all over the self-checkout.
I scan and bag as I go, so checkout takes under 5 minutes and everything is packed just-so.
Sure. Now try that approach with a completely full cart for 5 people for the week and let me know how that goes. :P
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The self checkouts in my town stores are too small. Theres no place to sit stuff pre scan and only a card table area post scan. Theres no hand held either so scanning a heavy or large item is a bitch. At least now most places dont insist you keep all scanned items in the bag area or it gets upset.
Holman

Post by Holman »

At my grocery the self check-out is "15 items or less."

Under Covid we do a shop once a week for five people, so the cart is sometimes full to above the rim.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I have a little electric heater me and my wife got about 5 years ago. It worked better than any heater I ever had but died after one year of use. So we got another one just like it and that one is still holding on but not working as good and a little louder after 4 years.

I kept the old one meaning to repair it but totally forgot about it until a minute ago when I was looking for something else I cant find. Anyways I took it apart and it was a wire that had failed. I repaired it and fired it up. Geez. When it first came on for a few minutes it smelled like my wife's perfume. :( Of course being from 5 years ago it was in use when she was here and would get ready to go some place.

Both amazing and heart hurting at the same time.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:28 pm
stimpy wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:47 pm Just had a chat with a couple of different Best Buy customer service people.
Asked them if they could tell me when the sale price for an item ends.
None of them could tell me.
How is that even possible?
Because if you know when it ends you might wait until the last second, which gives you time to think about it and have second thoughts. If you don't know when it ends, then you have to pull the trigger right away or you'll lose the savings!
Well....I gambled and lost, so I guess they lost too.
I have a stash of Best Buy reward certificates and was going to use them to buy a laptop.
Sale price was $800. I have $150 in rewards so that brought the price to $650. Stimulus was deposited but not cleared yesterday. Would have went towards it, meaning $50 out of pocket (sort of). Laptop was still on sale as of yesterday. Stimulus cleared today. Checked site......no more sale. Probably should have just bought it and paid the credit card off later, but without knowing when the stimulus was coming, I decided to try and wait. On the plus side, next sale I see I can jump on it right away.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im trying to lose weight. Yesterday I had only 1 cola and then 2 bottles of water and at bed some milk. I ate 3 eggs for early day and at night only some crackers.

Today I ate 6 small bowls of spaghetti. Ya I think I messed up today . But its what the food bank gives me and what I have. Pastas and TONS of canned tomato sauces.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Did you exercise?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It is much harder to lose weight when you can't control your food supply. Trust me, I know that one. You can track exactly how many calories you're eating and lose weight that way, but again, when you can't control your food supply you'd likely be eating lots of calorie-rich foods and cutting down your total calories would mean not getting enough nutrition.

One gotcha I learned about the hard way: watch the milk. That stuff is packed with calories. A glass of whole milk has significantly more calories than the same sized glass of cola. I used to think I was doing well and controlling what I ate, but I was getting half a day's calories every day just in the milk I was casually drinking along with the food. It's the main reason I switched to skim years ago - it cuts the calories almost in half compared to whole milk.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:31 amwhen you can't control your food supply you'd likely be eating lots of calorie-rich foods and cutting down your total calories would mean not getting enough nutrition.
No one ever really thinks about the nutritional value of the foods they eat, and what it might be doing to their body. We've all got those handy Calorie numbers in big bold at the top of the label now to help us out! Nevermind that one can of 300 calorie soup might have 48% of the sodium you should consume in a day, or that those 400 calorie Raman Noodles are basically pure carbs and no vitamins/minerals.

It's alarmingly easy to think you're doing okay, but really not at all.
Last edited by Paingod on Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

For what it's worth, it's not clear that drinking skim milk is better for weight loss than whole milk.
"Finally, although higher in calories than skim milk, whole milk has actually been associated with lower weight and waist circumferences. This may in part be due to whole milk keeping you fuller for longer, thanks to the high-fat content," says McGrane.
It sounds kind of like the whole regular vs. diet soft drink debate.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

dbt1949 wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:29 am Did you exercise?
With that much carb loading, I'm surprised he's not running while replying to this thread.
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

More likely he's having a crash.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:20 am For what it's worth, it's not clear that drinking skim milk is better for weight loss than whole milk.
"Finally, although higher in calories than skim milk, whole milk has actually been associated with lower weight and waist circumferences. This may in part be due to whole milk keeping you fuller for longer, thanks to the high-fat content," says McGrane.
It sounds kind of like the whole regular vs. diet soft drink debate.
I split the difference and switched to 2%. It has enough fat to enhance feeling full without being too terribly calorific. I only drink one glass a day with lunch, so it's not a major factor, but it's a good compromise on the skim/whole milk scale. Works for me, anyway.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

We did 2%, but then the twins started drinking milk, so we bumped it up to whole milk. We also used it for the oldest kid's food blend, but his dietician thought he was getting too much fat, so we went back to 2%. Now the oldest doesn't do dairy at all, but we stuck with 2%. I really only have it when I eat cereal (most weekdays), so it's not something I think too much about anymore.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

There was a loud explosion down the street from me and all powernis out. Maybe a transformer...though if it went on its own or was shotnIndont know. I have my guns out and loaded. Getting cold in here.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:52 pm There was a loud explosion down the street from me and all powernis out. Maybe a transformer...though if it went on its own or was shotnIndont know. I have my guns out and loaded. Getting cold in here.
Happiness is a warm gun.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Power is back. Not sure what is the problem. 2 utility trucks showed up and parked and they got out and talked and looked at the pole about 10 min and the power returned. They are still there standing at it 20 min later...Not sure whats going on. They didn't do any work that I saw. Not sure what the LOUD BANG was. Its the pole my line comes in on and a couple neighbors.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

When I lived in New Orleans we had a power pole across the street where squirrels like to commit suicide. Quite a few times a year there would be a loud "pop" and we'd lose power. The power company wold get there an hour later and reset the breaker with a long pole.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

They just left. Guess that sat there an hour waiting to see what happens. Hope it wasn't a squirrel.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:37 pmThey just left. Guess that sat there an hour waiting to see what happens. Hope it wasn't a squirrel.
When you can charge an hour of labor, you don't hustle off site in the first 5 minutes.
Black Lives Matter

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

They may have been waiting for someone at the other end to run a diagnostic or give them the all-clear, or they may have been waiting for another team to check in, or any number of things.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I know there's going to be a technical explanation for this, but I'm going to complain about it anyway. How is it that my credit card/digital wallet purchase can be processed in seconds, but for an error to be refunded "it could take 5-10 business days"?? The account credit is always instant of course.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Sudy wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:01 pm I know there's going to be a technical explanation for this, but I'm going to complain about it anyway. How is it that my credit card/digital wallet purchase can be processed in seconds, but for an error to be refunded "it could take 5-10 business days"?? The account credit is always instant of course.
Because breathers get involved? They get breaks, lunch breaks, HR presentations, sensitivity training, vacations, holidays and sick time, you know. And after all that they need to thoughtfully deliberate on the merits of your claim, and determine if there was any malfeasance. You're lucky it doesn't take a month.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Got some new cheap polarized sunglasses. They came with this little credit card thing that has a pic on it. If you look at it with the glasses on you see little cars in the pic. no glasses no cars. Supposed to show they are polarized. Well looking at my monitor with them on I see so much less on it too. Its weird. Its a filtering effect. Almost see nothing at certain angles.