Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

Re: Random randomness

Post by Isgrimnur »

So much for fleeing New Jersey. Oh, well. There's still hope for Octavious.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I have too much family here to leave. It will likely happen some day, but it would probably be at least another decade - or at least while our daughter is still in school. Once she graduates high school (6 years), all bets are off. That being said, my board gaming collection is going to be problematic if we downsize. :D

EDIT: Plus, it's not like I could sell this house. Who the hell would buy it with the wet-string equivalent internet connection? That's my next project...
Maybe next year, maybe no go
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Default wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 7:43 am
Isgrimnur wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 11:07 pm I hate you.
You have a life, though.
6 years to go as of this month, just in time for the oldest to start college with his brother to start exactly 4 years later. It's almost like I planned this all out. Almost.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Drinking Martinelli's apple juice again. Its the very best apple juice ive ever had. its so sweet and uses no sugar. It taste like drinking a golden delicious apple.

Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:43 am Enlarge Image

Came across these in Dollar General. Never heard of them before. I like hot so got a cylinder. On opening they really have no smell. Certainly not a peppery smell. Taking one out they are covered in red powder. That boded well for hot. Stuck on in my mouth and the first flavor is sour'ish. Its chili lime I now see on the package. Very lime like. Then kinda hot. Not bad. 3 chips in I had to stop...THATS HOT! Really hot. Also really good. Waiting to eat more..later.
I just wanted to pull this back up and mention that I saw these in the grocery store a couple weeks ago and grabbed a can. I ate the whole thing in one sitting. I think we have a different idea of hot. :twisted:

I may have had too many ghost pepper based snacks.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ya I like hot and spicy but with flavor. I dont do the so hot it hurts and has no flavor stuff. I like those chips and Im eating hotNspicy pork rinds right now. I love Krystals little chipotle mayo and ghost pepper cheese sliders though. I also love Tabasco red and the green is my favorite.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 10:41 am I'd like a little more speed, please.
Sorry, but you reside in the sweaty buttock cleavage of America. See this?

That's you, that is.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Houston
Animal Care Services said a family living off Eisenhower road near Salado Creek discovered the felines at a back alleyway. The homeowner decided to bring them inside her home.

"She tried to feed them some kitten milk and during the process of doing that, three people were bitten," said ACS spokesperson Lisa Norwood. "Bitten on the hand. Not bad bites but bites nonetheless. They're seeking medical attention right now."

Norwood said the family decided to look online and noticed the kittens were bobcats.

"Once they started taking a look at the kittens, seeing how big they were, how robust they were, how their tails were bobbed," said Norwood. "I think they started doing a little bit more research and educating themselves and thinking: 'You know what, these don't look like your standard house cat. Maybe we should call somebody.' Thankfully, they did."

ACS says it's possible the felines came from the Salado Creek area, where parts are still underdeveloped and wildlife exists. An ACS officer took the bobcat kittens to the care of Wildlife Rescue and Rehabilitation. The kittens are not injured and currently are under quarantine. A spokesperson for the rehab center said they will be monitored to make sure they can be released to a protected site.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

That kid ate one giant bowl of porridge. How much does he fucking need!
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Rip

Post by Rip »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 5:29 pm Houston
Animal Care Services said a family living off Eisenhower road near Salado Creek discovered the felines at a back alleyway. The homeowner decided to bring them inside her home.

"She tried to feed them some kitten milk and during the process of doing that, three people were bitten," said ACS spokesperson Lisa Norwood. "Bitten on the hand. Not bad bites but bites nonetheless. They're seeking medical attention right now."

Norwood said the family decided to look online and noticed the kittens were bobcats.

"Once they started taking a look at the kittens, seeing how big they were, how robust they were, how their tails were bobbed," said Norwood. "I think they started doing a little bit more research and educating themselves and thinking: 'You know what, these don't look like your standard house cat. Maybe we should call somebody.' Thankfully, they did."

ACS says it's possible the felines came from the Salado Creek area, where parts are still underdeveloped and wildlife exists. An ACS officer took the bobcat kittens to the care of Wildlife Rescue and Rehabilitation. The kittens are not injured and currently are under quarantine. A spokesperson for the rehab center said they will be monitored to make sure they can be released to a protected site.

MHS

Post by MHS »

LordMortis wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 9:16 am
Kraken wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 2:49 am I ought to convert the variable LOC into a fixed-rate loan, but banks aren't clamoring for small short-term mortgages with no costs.
I know it's good to be liquid and get tax breaks and have good debt tied in to good investments but it feels really good to have no mortgage. The amount of stress it reduces in my tiny brain is amazing, even if I live in hovel, which if I could do it again, and I get similar hovel, only smaller in a nicer neighborhood. Only I think such a beast is unicorn by today's world. Though I think Millennials and whatever we call post millenials that opt out of child rearing will force small low maintenance homes in "nice" areas to become a thing (and/or catch(all)phrase gentrification will take a turn for the small) in the next decade or so. It's not that I'm outcast, refusing to buy in to the dominant paradigm. It's that I'm two to three generations ahead of my time. Yeah, thati's the ticket. I'm visionary!
We've rented for all but a couple years of our marriage and it's always worked out well not to have to worry about maintaining a home, and having flexibility if we wanted to move. That came back to bite us in the butt last weekend though, when our landlord informed us that, as much as they love us and would rent to us for a hundred years, they need to take advantage of the crazy hot market and sell our house and so we need to be out July 1. Which is about 5 weeks after I have an organ transplant that will take months to recover from and leave me unable to drive or lift anything heavier than 5 pounds for months. So...we've got that going for us.

Between the daughter's emergency appendectomy last week, my upcoming kidney transplant, and now an impeding move (although I'm not sure to where exactly since the market here is just crazy high), I'm not sure how much more I can take. I consider myself a pretty roll-with-the-punches person but enough.
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

MHS wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 6:16 pm
LordMortis wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 9:16 am
Kraken wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 2:49 am I ought to convert the variable LOC into a fixed-rate loan, but banks aren't clamoring for small short-term mortgages with no costs.
I know it's good to be liquid and get tax breaks and have good debt tied in to good investments but it feels really good to have no mortgage. The amount of stress it reduces in my tiny brain is amazing, even if I live in hovel, which if I could do it again, and I get similar hovel, only smaller in a nicer neighborhood. Only I think such a beast is unicorn by today's world. Though I think Millennials and whatever we call post millenials that opt out of child rearing will force small low maintenance homes in "nice" areas to become a thing (and/or catch(all)phrase gentrification will take a turn for the small) in the next decade or so. It's not that I'm outcast, refusing to buy in to the dominant paradigm. It's that I'm two to three generations ahead of my time. Yeah, thati's the ticket. I'm visionary!
We've rented for all but a couple years of our marriage and it's always worked out well not to have to worry about maintaining a home, and having flexibility if we wanted to move. That came back to bite us in the butt last weekend though, when our landlord informed us that, as much as they love us and would rent to us for a hundred years, they need to take advantage of the crazy hot market and sell our house and so we need to be out July 1. Which is about 5 weeks after I have an organ transplant that will take months to recover from and leave me unable to drive or lift anything heavier than 5 pounds for months. So...we've got that going for us.

Between the daughter's emergency appendectomy last week, my upcoming kidney transplant, and now an impeding move (although I'm not sure to where exactly since the market here is just crazy high), I'm not sure how much more I can take. I consider myself a pretty roll-with-the-punches person but enough.
That's a different stress. My no mortgage is tied to paying off a modest house quickly (that has since become much more modest in value :roll: ) I don't have the bonus of being able to walk away but I also don't have the thought of 25% of my monthly intake goes directly to the land owner for the rest of my life (property taxes aside). That's part of the low stress for me. Maintenance sucks ass though. I've twice broke down and elected to live the highlife and have someone mow lawn and twice they just stopped out of nowhere. I'm examining really living the highlife and contracting a professional service this year and receiving a sort of reliability for that premium.

Anyhow strength and bravery to you. I'm in a bad way right now. I can't imagine being in your kind of bad way.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

My mower is STILL broken after 4 years. been getting by in fits and spurts with help or luck. Its not mowed yet this year and waist high. having a family member bushog my front yard this week.

Random randomness.....was listening to a Billboard top 40 from the 70s and they were saying how Jesus Christ Superstar record had sold by then 50 million copies which meant almost a quearter of a million bucks for the sing. Wait wtf...that seems a HUGE ripoff for the artist. No wonder there was sort of a artist strike in the record world. 50 million sold and at like $15 each and you get $250,000. Thats some major crap. Now days I cant imagine how much artist keep.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I still haven't been able to get my regular push mower started this year. May have to take it in.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

dbt1949 wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 10:44 pm I still haven't been able to get my regular push mower started this year. May have to take it in.
Make sure it has plenty of lube. I hear beer works great.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

My wife is now in therapy for PTSD from events in her childhood and her last relationships, and our marriage is right on the rickety brink of collapse. I'm having a thoroughly shitty day and am feeling so incapable of rational thought that I just want to go home and crawl under a blanket. I just might after I get through my 9:00am meeting to discuss the software we're rolling out in 20 days to overhaul business operations (I'm the project lead).

It's really hard to keep acting normal around everyone at work.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

That seriously sucks man.
I hope she gets the helps she needs and that you two keep together and make it.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Yowza. Good luck paingod, and good luck to your wife.
MHS

Post by MHS »

I'm sorry Paingod. Hoping things work out in whatever way is the best for you.
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

No words of encouragement here but I do hope for the best for you and yours.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Good luck PG. Try to do your part to use work as a distraction from "the real stuff". But I know that frustrating feeling of walling work off from what's really going on in your life. It sucks.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Day 5 without coffee. I only drink it at work so it's mostly a psychological habit and thing to do at the office. But I still think about it. Coffee. Must run more reports. Coffee.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Moliere wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 11:50 am Day 5 without coffee. I only drink it at work so it's mostly a psychological habit and thing to do at the office. But I still think about it. Coffee. Must run more reports. Coffee.
I was just estimating when I last had coffee (army reserve duty in central NY in the winter - 7am assembly), but the number of days, was pretty cool...

9,990 days
January 1, 1991 - May 9, 2018

There was a period I went about a decade without caffeine after drinking 2-3 quarts of coke a day. That was rough for a while.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

coopasonic wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 11:59 am but the number of days, was pretty cool...
Also, I am not sure why that comma is there, but it makes it sound very Shatner in my internal monologue.

I was going to type dialogue, but who, exactly, am I talking to? Look at all those commas!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

If I go more than a day without caffeine, I will have splitting headaches until I get my "fix"...yeah, it's not good.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

gilraen wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 12:39 pm If I go more than a day without caffeine, I will have splitting headaches until I get my "fix"...yeah, it's not good.
Cold turkey will also make the headaches go away, eventually. I accidentally detoxed about 15 years ago. I had to burn off a month's worth of accumulated vacation time and didn't have a coffee maker of any sort at home. I had a migraine-grade headache for a couple of days during the first week, then felt fine for the rest of the month. It was interesting because I didn't actually crave coffee, I just had to go through the physical withdrawal symptoms.

It took that experience to make me realize that the reason that I felt sick so often on weekends was due to caffeine withdrawal. Two or three days without coffee every week was just enough to trigger the onset of withdrawal symptoms. Naturally, when I went back to work I exercised the only rational option -- I bought a coffee maker for home. :lol:
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

My mom drank about 5 pots of coffee a day I think when she was alive.

To anyone celebrating a birthday with me today Happy Birthday!

the one I know of has my EXACT same bday.. May 9 1969.....Hudson Leick....Callisto bad girl from Xena.

Enlarge Image
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Over the winter I started drinking coffee again for the first time in about eight years. I stopped a couple of months ago.

In that eight years a I drank mostly tea, although there was a year or so when I didn't do any regular caffeine. I honestly felt better, and it was great to be able to brew a cup of tea and actually have it wake me up on those occasions when I really needed it.

I've been considering cutting out caffeine again, or at least dropping back to green tea (on the average, black tea = 1/2 the caffeine of coffee, green tea 1/4.) The only thing holding me back is that I really, really enjoy tea just for the sake of it being tea.

I've already switched cups to one that is 25% smaller (8 oz vs 12 oz.) If I use the method I used before, I just time my cups of tea - say, a minimum of 2 1/2 hours between cups. After a week, 3 hours. Then 4, which is the same as green tea every two. Then I switch to green every 2 1/2, then 3, 4. At that point, after 6 weeks, I have so little caffeine in my system that the physical withdrawal isn't a thing any more.

When I drank coffee I followed the same process to quit - X hours between cups, then increase it, then switch to black tea at half the interval.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Max Peck wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 1:00 pm
gilraen wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 12:39 pm If I go more than a day without caffeine, I will have splitting headaches until I get my "fix"...yeah, it's not good.
Cold turkey will also make the headaches go away, eventually. I accidentally detoxed about 15 years ago. I had to burn off a month's worth of accumulated vacation time and didn't have a coffee maker of any sort at home. I had a migraine-grade headache for a couple of days during the first week, then felt fine for the rest of the month. It was interesting because I didn't actually crave coffee, I just had to go through the physical withdrawal symptoms.

It took that experience to make me realize that the reason that I felt sick so often on weekends was due to caffeine withdrawal. Two or three days without coffee every week was just enough to trigger the onset of withdrawal symptoms. Naturally, when I went back to work I exercised the only rational option -- I bought a coffee maker for home. :lol:
That weekend realization is what triggered me to give up caffeine. Yeah, it sucked for a week or so, but I was good after that. A few years ago I started again for no good reason. *shrug* I like the taste.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive heard coffee is good against colon cancer and tea is bad to make kidney stones.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Tea can be *a* factor, but maintaining good health otherwise - staying hydrated, limiting sodium, not too much meat, enough calcium, etc. makes it a negligible factor.

The reason I gave up caffeine completely (in retrospect, it was seven years ago) was because of a long vacation my sister gifted me and my family with. I didn't want to have to drag everyone to hunt down caffeine every few hours to avoid dragging, especially in places where a drink costs as much as a meal.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

About a month ago, I cut down from around 48oz of Pepsi/Coke every day to a single 16-oz bottle on Sunday. I don't like coffee, tea, or diet soda, so I just had to do a cold turkey switch over to plain ol' water. I had pretty bad headaches the first few days, but a couple Excederin Migraines usually did the trick.

I feel like I've finally gotten used to it now, and I very rarely get the urge to hit the soda fountain at work anymore. Not ingesting 600 calories of pure sugar every day has been helpful on the waistline as well...dropped around 10 lbs already.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 3:13 pm Excederin Migraines
(Sic)

:coffee:
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Hence why it worked for caffeine withdrawals.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I probably had four or five cups of coffee every day for thirty years. Then, about two months ago, I started deciding that I just really didn't like the taste as much any more.

I still drink it, but it's more like two cups a day now. I'm going to work down to none.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

One of my FB friends (acquaintances, really) has started making 2-3 minute inspirational talking-head videos and posting them every day.

She is describing this effort as being a "Hope Dealer".

dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I'm getting softer in my old age. I've cut back from hating 4 new people a day down to 3.5.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Holman

Post by Holman »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 5:16 pm One of my FB friends (acquaintances, really) has started making 2-3 minute inspirational talking-head videos and posting them every day.

She is describing this effort as being a "Hope Dealer".

"Dope Healer" was taken?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

dbt1949 wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 5:31 pm I'm getting softer in my old age. I've cut back from hating 4 new people a day down to 3.5.
:lol:
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

dbt1949 wrote:I'm getting softer in my old age. I've cut back from hating 4 new people a day down to 3.5.
On average, or just children?
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.