Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

dbt1949

Re: Random randomness

Post by dbt1949 »

hitbyambulance wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 8:33 pm yup, dented it.
I destroyed two of them myself during my bike riding days.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Apollo wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 8:38 pm
dbt1949 wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 8:15 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 7:22 pm When the wheel falls off the lawnmower, that’s a good time to quit doing yard work for the day.

Ditto except it went flat (riding mower) and now I have to find someplace to put air into it. Tubeless so car air compressor can't do it.
Try wrapping a bungee cord or even a belt around the circumference of the tire to squeeze it down onto the rim before putting air in. If you can just get a little bit of air in, the tire will seal to the wheel and you can pump it up no problem.
Had to do that once with my car tire. I found some hay bail rope in my trunk that worked. Ive seen crazy people use aerosol cans to spray hairspray or such all around the rim then light it on fire and BANG instant seal lol. Nuts.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Why must life be so damn stupid. Not a single thing goes right. Even when I know something is wrong Im told it is right. GRRR
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

attempted to go back to work today, just part time. super low key, right? just... sittin at the computer. wellll let's say that post-concussion syndrome is a real thing and i ended up in the ER... taking another two days off.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Not had one that I can remember..but hope you feel better soon.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

When you injure your brain, you should probably not trust it to make decisions about its own health for a while.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i will not dispute the validity of that statement
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

This five-day work week is for the birds. I want to go home and play video games.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 1:38 pm This five-day work week is for the birds. I want to go home and play video games.
Paint minis and build terrain.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hentzau wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 1:38 pm This five-day work week is for the birds. I want to go home and play video games.
They might notice if I did that.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Isgrimnur wrote:
hentzau wrote:
They might notice if I did that.
No, I meant that if I...oh, never mind.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:D
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

:clap:

I chuckled.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

This is me. Every morning I wake up and count the best case scenario in months to retirement.

It's not healthy.

The answer is I can reasonably expect to retire in 89 months. I might be able to retire in a perfect world in 58 months. So in 58 months I will begin making the real plan and doing things like actually talking to a financial advisor. I have a fantasy that a good miracle will happen and knock that down less than 30 months. I look at the stock market and that miracle is nowhere on the horizon.

58 months. Lord willing and the ACA isn't torpedoed by malice or crazier than currently crazy inflation... and my understanding isn't flawed...
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I was looking at my SSA page today and looking at the 67 vs 70 retirement calculations. My mortgage is 30y, and projected to pay off when I'm 70. The only saving grace in my retirement planning right now is the 11%/year on my vested pension that will be at 6 years by the end of this year. My other retirement savings is less than a year's salary at the moment.

On the bright side, all of my debt has been moved to house/car/student loans, so I no longer have >7% rate on any debt load, and Discover tells me that my credit rating is 850 after the payoffs.

Enlarge Image
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

OO does not approve but I plan to tap in to SS at 62. SS, however is not figured in to my plan. I just figure I'm dying early, I might as well get what I can out of it so I can forward that money to my nephews and nieces and their spawn. My goal is to have 21 years living expenses banked in various forms and to have expect a 5% return somehow or another to live off of until inflation busts me out. My 401k and IRAs are fairly solid, though the turbulence sometimes makes me cry. My retirement took a four month's living expense dip on the Trade War tweets. I tellyouwhat, someone who knows POTUS and his access to his phone is making a fucking killing off twitter global stock market volatility.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

if I could bank on a 5% return I could probably retire today. I am not banking on a 5% return. On the other hand once the kids are gone and I can reduce expenses (hahahahaha), I should be good... 9 years until the youngest graduates high school. Dare to dream.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I will live in a fort of board game boxes and defend myself with empty bottles of Scotch. It might not be the best retirement plan but I'll die doing what I love.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

coopasonic wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 5:17 pm if I could bank on a 5% return I could probably retire today. I am not banking on a 5% return. On the other hand once the kids are gone and I can reduce expenses (hahahahaha), I should be good... 9 years until the youngest graduates high school. Dare to dream.
Can I live in your boat- or pool-house?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

coopasonic wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 5:17 pm if I could bank on a 5% return I could probably retire today. I am not banking on a 5% return. On the other hand once the kids are gone and I can reduce expenses (hahahahaha), I should be good... 9 years until the youngest graduates high school. Dare to dream.
That's the dream anyway. There is no thinking about retirement until I hit that mark. Once I hit that mark I can start forming a plan whether 5% is realistic. We'll see what exponential growth, investing in "the market", etc... looks like in five years... If I'm lucky. My dreams could be exceeded or they could be crushed.

Enlarge Image
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I'm going to die in debt. It's just something you have to accept and move on.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

For me, retirement will just mean adding a nice steady monthly check to my irregular income. My business is entirely portable now, with no overhead or physical demands, and I'm building enough of a client list that I'll be able to work as much or as little as I want. I rather enjoy editing science stories and don't see any reason to stop doing it for 10-15 hours a week just because I reached a magic age. The only downside I see is having Wife at home all the time...but she doesn't ever want to retire, so maybe that won't happen.

At some point (and fairly soon) we're going to have to move from our house of 30 years to an elder-friendly one, so that will be a huge hurdle. This one will be paid off in 3.5 years, which is 1 year before my full SS retirement age.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

dbt1949 wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 5:40 pm I'm going to die in debt. It's just something you have to accept and move on.
If I die soon I can too. Not sure it will happen. If my wife was alive we could have been out of all debt in 4 years. As is I'll be lucky to pay the house off in 10. Thats if I still have a house. I cant afford the payments each month. Half the home income is gone but the bills all stayed the same. We were SO close. Ive dropped most of what I can. As per my bankruptcy lawyers instructions Im withholding house payments for 3-5 months. They denied my first petition for a loan modification to lower the payments. He says they will work with me once my payments dont arrive for a while. But they based my rejection on my good credit score of 715. I have that score for many reasons....we've been paying off our debt for 4 1/2 years now so its gone up steadily over that time. My credit score wont pay any bills and especially my house loan. Trouble is I dont have the amount of payments anyways TO pay but the lawyer wants me to hold as much as possible...which is impossible as I pay bills and buy food, gas, home repair stuff. Im worried. He said they cant foreclose while Im in bankruptcy....which I pay off near the end of the year.....but then they could try and if they do I come in and rile bankruptcy on the home loan then.....which Im sure he gets paid again for. Sigh. Its MY home not theirs and I feel others play loose with stuff that isn't theirs. So I live in fear and worry.

If they home loan place would cut my payment in half to $225 I could live on $100 a month I think. As is I cant. If I died it would all be fine lol..stupid world. EVERYONE these days wants all of nothing instead of part of something. Damn interest on the home is %11.5 . Im tempted to look into a personal loan with my credit score and pay off the house that way. Then pay of the home loan over 10 years at much lower payments and interest rate. UGH.
Last edited by Daehawk on Wed May 08, 2019 9:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Retirement. Re. Tire. Mint.

Yeah.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Well, I finally did it: I paid the extra $2 to try an Impossible Burger and satisfy my curiosity, after having read so much good press. And I have to say that if I didn't know that I wasn't eating beef, I would not have noticed. Being hypercritical, the flavor and the texture were a little bit off. But it really is good enough to pass, at least when it joins cheese, bread, and toppings on a burger. If you just compared plain patties you'd probably not be impressed.

I'm not converted, though, at least not as long as one must pay a premium for it. If it were two bucks cheaper than a real burger, maybe I'd come to prefer it. If it were significantly healthier or lower calorie, I might. But the nutrition profile is pretty close to beef, so why pay extra for ersatz? I don't see myself ordering it again.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Kraken wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 9:31 pm Well, I finally did it: I paid the extra $2 to try an Impossible Burger and satisfy my curiosity, after having read so much good press. And I have to say that if I didn't know that I wasn't eating beef, I would not have noticed. Being hypercritical, the flavor and the texture were a little bit off. But it really is good enough to pass, at least when it joins cheese, bread, and toppings on a burger. If you just compared plain patties you'd probably not be impressed.

I'm not converted, though, at least not as long as one must pay a premium for it. If it were two bucks cheaper than a real burger, maybe I'd come to prefer it. If it were significantly healthier or lower calorie, I might. But the nutrition profile is pretty close to beef, so why pay extra for ersatz? I don't see myself ordering it again.
I think the point is that humanity needs a beef substitute if we're going to curb climate collapse.

When it's this or maggot patties, you'll pay the two bucks.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

You'd think living in a condo building next door to someone who also owns his unit would mean I wouldn't have to listen to subwoofer thumping at inappropriate hours. Let alone at all.

You'd be wrong.

I'm so glad I'm moving in a month to someplace much, much quieter.
Hodor.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Holman wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 9:53 pm
Kraken wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 9:31 pm Well, I finally did it: I paid the extra $2 to try an Impossible Burger and satisfy my curiosity, after having read so much good press. And I have to say that if I didn't know that I wasn't eating beef, I would not have noticed. Being hypercritical, the flavor and the texture were a little bit off. But it really is good enough to pass, at least when it joins cheese, bread, and toppings on a burger. If you just compared plain patties you'd probably not be impressed.

I think the point is that humanity needs a beef substitute if we're going to curb climate collapse.

When it's this or maggot patties, you'll pay the two bucks.
Oh, I'm down with the climate argument. If BK's Impossible Whopper and McD's version gain a lot of market share, it will make a huge difference. Presumably the price will come down and the product will keep improving. So I'm open to that. But realistically speaking, they need to reach price parity to compete on a large scale.

I can easily imagine a future where most people think eating animals is indefensible and only rich reprobates still do it. We're a long way from that unhappy day, but I think I tasted the first step tonight.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Tonight in my head I confused Imogen Poots and Alison Doody. Yes there is a big age difference but I think Ive only seen one movie with each in them. Yes they are both blonde. That along with those last names did not help .
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

As long as you don’t confuse Imogene Heap with Gomer Pyle.
disarm

Post by disarm »

Kraken wrote:Well, I finally did it: I paid the extra $2 to try an Impossible Burger and satisfy my curiosity, after having read so much good press. And I have to say that if I didn't know that I wasn't eating beef, I would not have noticed. Being hypercritical, the flavor and the texture were a little bit off. But it really is good enough to pass, at least when it joins cheese, bread, and toppings on a burger. If you just compared plain patties you'd probably not be impressed.

I haven't gotten up the nerve to try an Impossible Burger yet, but I have tried Beyond Sausage and Beyond Meat. Both were surprisingly close approximations of the real thing. The sausage was 'hot Italian' and was a pretty close match for both texture and flavor...even cooked/browned similarly in a skillet. We used Mexican-seasoned crumbled "meat" to make tacos a couple nights ago, and while it was slightly more chewy than ground beef, it was otherwise indistinguishable.

I'm not on a vegetarian/vegan/plant-based diet, only trying these things out of curiosity, but it's fairly impressive whats they've been accomplished so far.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I was briefly confused when I ordered my Impossible Burger medium and was told that it can't be cooked to order, because it doesn't start as a raw product. I guess they basically just heat them up. Those who want a pink center are out of luck -- never mind medium rare or rare. The patties could be juicier, and could use a fattier mouth-feel. But these are quibbles that I wouldn't have noticed if I weren't specifically evaluating it. It's a fine meat substitute. You have no sense that you are eating a plant-based product. IDK if it will take the world by storm, but it definitely ought to own the veggie-burger market.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

A year or so ago I was told that my cholesterol was borderline, and I decided to severely reduce (but not quite eliminate) meat. I eat meat now once a week or so, and generally fish, sometimes chicken. Almost never red meat, almost never cured meat (bacon, ham, processed lunch meats, etc.)

When I first made the attempt I tried a few 'meatless meat' items. I hated them. They tasted wrong. The texture was wrong. Then I realized I was approaching it wrong. These aren't fake hamburgers, they're a different food that you eat the same way as a hamburger. They don't need to taste, or feel, exactly like a hamburger because that's not what they are. They're a completely different, though similar, food. With that change in mindset I started really enjoying some of them. I stopped judging them on how close to a hamburger they were, and judged them on whether they were enjoyable for exactly what they were.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Uno makes a great black bean burger. I never order their hamburgers because the calorie counts are obscene, but I will occasionally get the black bean burger because I enjoy it for what it is, as you said, and it's the lowest-cal. thing on their menu. I also make a vegetable burger that's Wife's favorite...I don't make it often, because it takes a couple of hours to make 8 patties. But since we only have Burger Night once a week, those two hours will keep her in burgers for 7 weeks (I eat one of them, because two hours!).

However, if any vegetarians miss real hamburgers, the Impossible has them covered. I don't think one can buy them for home consumption yet, though.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Kraken wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 10:16 am I was briefly confused when I ordered my Impossible Burger medium and was told that it can't be cooked to order, because it doesn't start as a raw product. I guess they basically just heat them up. Those who want a pink center are out of luck -- never mind medium rare or rare. The patties could be juicier, and could use a fattier mouth-feel. But these are quibbles that I wouldn't have noticed if I weren't specifically evaluating it. It's a fine meat substitute. You have no sense that you are eating a plant-based product. IDK if it will take the world by storm, but it definitely ought to own the veggie-burger market.
Why would you want a veggie burger medium?
Hodor.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

pr0ner wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 1:05 pm
Kraken wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 10:16 am I was briefly confused when I ordered my Impossible Burger medium and was told that it can't be cooked to order, because it doesn't start as a raw product. I guess they basically just heat them up. Those who want a pink center are out of luck -- never mind medium rare or rare. The patties could be juicier, and could use a fattier mouth-feel. But these are quibbles that I wouldn't have noticed if I weren't specifically evaluating it. It's a fine meat substitute. You have no sense that you are eating a plant-based product. IDK if it will take the world by storm, but it definitely ought to own the veggie-burger market.
Why would you want a veggie burger medium?
Because it's not a veggie burger in the usual sense; it's a meat mimic. I ordered it as I would a hamburger out of habit.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

10+ years ago I was reducing calories, and I ordered a veggie burger at a Canadian fast food joint called Harvey's (used to be rock solid, now it's a shadow of it's former self). It was more than adequate. The only thing I noticed is that the density was slightly less than one of their regular burgers, but with condiments and toppings it was a burger in any taste/satisfaction sense.

I can only imagine how far these products have come in over a decade of R&D.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Today I typed the words "Charles Nelson Reilly in a swimsuit" into google search. I feel like I should get a reward for this. One that isn't Charles Nelson Reilly in swimsuit, mind you.
He won. Period.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Kraken wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 12:00 pm However, if any vegetarians miss real hamburgers, the Impossible has them covered. I don't think one can buy them for home consumption yet, though.
People on the radio were doing live Impossible taste tests. The results were not encouraging.
Blackhawk wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 11:02 am judged them on whether they were enjoyable for exactly what they were.
This is pretty much what you have to do. The problem is they call them by names that compare the food stuffs as substitutes. I don't care for tofu and trying to pass it off as something I like does not make it better. OtOH, falafel can be just fine without have to pretend it is somehow meat. The one place I get weirdly inconsistent is the soy burger they served from the way back machine in high school and middle school. Those were definitely passing themselves off as a meat substitute and they weren't bad.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

As part of my move, the mortgage company wants to know why I'm moving to a smaller house ~15 miles away - I have to write a letter and sign it. Might be time to make the Pirate Relocation letter a reality.
Maybe next year, maybe no go