Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

LordMortis

Re: Random randomness

Post by LordMortis »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:00 pm You mean I have to keep doing this exercise crap?
It's totally not fair that the stuff I take pleasure in is almost universally driving me to pain and an early death. And the stuff that works towards health and less pain is all stuff i have an aversion to. Why can't I be the OCD guy for fitness, a diet closer to vegan than meat, dairy, grain, and sugar, and clean household kept in good repair?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

One for the language / journalist buffs here: lead vs lede - the definitive answer.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:12 am One for the language / journalist buffs here: lead vs lede - the definitive answer.
A gem from the comments (real gem, not being sarcastic):
Setting aside the question of lead/lede, using “30” to end the text is much older, coming from telegraph shorthand at least as far back as 1879. CQ (correct), 30 (end it), POTUS (President of the US), SCOTUS (Supreme Court of the US), et al, come from the Phillips Telegraphic Code, by AP man Walter P. Phillips, a former Western Union expert telegrapher who created many codes (and, probably, also pulled together existing codes used by others) . Unfortunately, Mr. Phillips couldn’t abbreviate the title of his great work, which is The Phillips Telegraphic Code for the Rapid Transmission by Telegraph of Press Reports , Commercial and Private Telegrams, and All Other Matter Sent by Wire or Cable.” See a copy here:
https://books.google.com/books?id=zw9LA ... 22&f=false

Bill Dedman
August 13, 2019 at 11:05 PM,
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

https://www.newschannel5.com/news/dale- ... lane-crash

Dale Earnhardt jr and wife on plane that crashed and burned in TN. Both are ok..in fact everyone is uninjured it says .Crashed on takeoff.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Getting old sucks, volume #269: Hangovers are 5x more painful, and now last for 3 days.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Stop drinking like you are 25.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:17 pm Getting old sucks, volume #269: Hangovers are 5x more painful, and now last for 3 days.
I've yet to have a 3 day hangover.

I have managed the same day hangover before. Those suck.
Hodor.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I've hit the two day hangovers. I've hit the hangover while I'm still imbibing and the night us young.

I've mostly quit drinking because of these and other similar factors. Ruining a chunk of my next day or possibly even the evening out because of I'm three beers in? Nope. Just not worth it. So now a few times a year, I'll test the waters with one beer and one water and then proceed with caution. And man, when you only have a beer or beers a few times a year, that first beers goes down way too fast, as will the second... Worse than a kid with M&Ms.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:35 pm I've hit the two day hangovers. I've hit the hangover while I'm still imbibing and the night us young.

I've mostly quit drinking because of these and other similar factors. Ruining a chunk of my next day or possibly even the evening out because of I'm three beers in? Nope. Just not worth it. So now a few times a year, I'll test the waters with one beer and one water and then proceed with caution. And man, when you only have a beer or beers a few times a year, that first beers goes down way too fast, as will the second... Worse than a kid with M&Ms.
I've mostly quit as well. I only drink 5-6 times a year, and really only go "all out" once or twice (usually just on the metal cruise).

Spent an evening with my best friend from HS on Wednesday and we hadn't seen each other in ages. We told each other that we were going to take it easy, but like you said, those first few go down awfully easy when you're having a good time. Definitely paying for it now.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I've slowed down on frequency a bit but I'll still have 5 or 6 beers in 90 minutes and think nothing of it. 4 or 5 if they're 16 oz of 8% IPA or something.

Hangovers aren't bad but I get really hungry and eat way too much food the next day which kind of ruins my week at the gym.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:48 pm I'll still have 5 or 6 beers in 90 minutes and think nothing of it.
That's what I could fall into when I have a beer six or more beers and the night's still just started and I should be turning over my keys or calling or service. When I had regular bar nights, I would not drink 5 or 6 beers in 90 minutes. 5 or 6 beers could be a good long night at the bar. Pre game, game, post game and then some. The beers were there and got drank when they got drank. Now beers disappear like it's a magic trick, even when I'm also drinking water... and stay far away from buckets.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:55 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:48 pm I'll still have 5 or 6 beers in 90 minutes and think nothing of it.
That's what I could fall into when I have a beer six or more beers and the night's still just started and I should be turning over my keys or calling or service. When I had regular bar nights, I would not drink 5 or 6 beers in 90 minutes. 5 or 6 beers could be a good long night at the bar. Pre game, game, post game and then some. The beers were there and got drank when they got drank. Now beers disappear like it's a magic trick, even when I'm also drinking water... and stay far away from buckets.
Good long night at the bar? What's that?

MYT
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:24 pm Stop drinking like you are 25.
YOU’RE NOT MY SUPERVISOR!!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:09 pm Good long night at the bar? What's that?
It was a mainstay of entertainment for me between 21 and 24 and then again after my divorce probably between 33 and 37, maybe.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:16 pm
Since you are in sales I would expect your supervisor to encourage you, not discourage. As a fellow old man, slow down bro.

I haven't had alcohol (outside of one small "accident") in coming up on three years. I don't even get any urge. It's not like nicotine. Super easy to call it quits, but I suppose it depends on your circle of friends/coworkers and how mature they are... and whether you are even interested in giving it up, of course.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:23 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:09 pm Good long night at the bar? What's that?
It was a mainstay of entertainment for me between 21 and 24 and then again after my divorce probably between 33 and 37, maybe.
I get maybe one or two of those a year now. It used to be Wednesday-Saturday nights.

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:18 pm Since you are in sales I would expect your supervisor to encourage you, not discourage. As a fellow old man, slow down bro.

I haven't had alcohol (outside of one small "accident") in coming up on three years. I don't even get any urge. It's not like nicotine. Super easy to call it quits, but I suppose it depends on your circle of friends/coworkers and how mature they are... and whether you are even interested in giving it up, of course.
I didn't quit alcohol. It ceased to be worth what I was getting out of it. I'd love to be able go out drinking and seeing shows and hanging out. It was truly one of the most pleasurable parts of my life but getting older and being in crappy shape is what it is.

I'm two and a half years without a cigarette. I still want one every day. It really has been a revelation in addiction. And it sucks. Finding some other outlet to sooth my jitters is one of those "if I could turn back time" things.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I now realize that the batteries for my batteries powered power drill are shot. I replaced them some years ago.
I think new batteries cost more than a new replacement drill.
Then I thought further and realized that I no longer have a need for a battery powered drill.
I have an electric drill and I no longer travel too far from the house to need a battery powered drill.
Still tho, I've had one for 25 years and felt very proud of that fact.
It's hell getting olde.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:18 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:16 pm
Since you are in sales I would expect your supervisor to encourage you, not discourage. As a fellow old man, slow down bro.

Just to clarify, there’s no alcohol abuse concerns going on here. It kinda sounds like I may have mistakenly given that impression.

I don’t ever have any “urge” to drink. It’s just fun to cut loose with friends once or twice a year, even if the hangovers from those rare occurrences get tougher to manage as I get older.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I've never given up alcohol, but I stopped getting drunk after a going-away party in Reno in '96. Nothing happened at the party or anything, I just realized that I don't like being in a state where I'm not fully in control of my own actions, words, and whims.

I'll get a twelve pack once every few months, and it usually lasts me three weeks. I have some rum and tequila in a cabinet, and some vodka in the freezer, but I doubt I touch those more than two or three times a year. When I do, it is one and done.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:10 pm Just to clarify, there’s no alcohol abuse concerns going on here.
That's what all the alcoholics say.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Holman

Post by Holman »

I'm 50 years old and have been drinking more regularly since November 2016 (ask me why in R&P) than ever before in my life. I'm at the point where I want to go dry just to get clear of the calories.

This isn't bingeing, but it is an almost daily 3-4 beers. That's not enough to get me drunk, but it's enough to ruin everything I get out of gym and bicycling. My weight is inching up, but I can't imagine what it would be doing if I weren't exercising regularly.

Time for a change.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Holman wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:53 pmTime for a change.
I can recommend specific brands of Scotch, Tequila or even Gin.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:44 pm
Can I drink them at the gym?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Holman wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:59 pm
They're not checking the bottles people carry in.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Holman wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:59 pm
If you're drinking at the gym I'd stick with chilled Finlandia vodka. No need to complicate it.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I'm pretty sure I've seen a guy on the elliptical take a hit off a flask.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well Ive really messed my day up. I set the alarm to 8am but when it went off I hit the dismiss part of the screen and not the snooze one. So I fell back asleep thinking it would wake me in 10 min. Nope. I woke up at 1pm. I guess I needed the sleep if I was able to sleep like that but now Im going to have a heck of a time sleeping tonight. Me and the wife could never keep a sleep schedule. Now Ill be up extra late and will try to get up extra early. Wont work as it takes me forever to get to sleep I bet. I mean I have nothing to do. Nothing. No place nobody. But I dont like messing my sleep up.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Holman wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:43 pm I'm pretty sure I've seen a guy on the elliptical take a hit off a flask.
Next time you’re in the gym and you see him do that, flick the ashes from your cigarette on his shoes.
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:03 pm Well Ive really messed my day up. I set the alarm to 8am but when it went off I hit the dismiss part of the screen and not the snooze one. So I fell back asleep thinking it would wake me in 10 min. Nope. I woke up at 1pm. I guess I needed the sleep if I was able to sleep like that but now Im going to have a heck of a time sleeping tonight. Me and the wife could never keep a sleep schedule. Now Ill be up extra late and will try to get up extra early. Wont work as it takes me forever to get to sleep I bet. I mean I have nothing to do. Nothing. No place nobody. But I dont like messing my sleep up.
Plan getting back on a schedule over a few days. If you can't get to sleep at the normal time tonight, set the alarm for, say, 11. Then the next day, 10, then 9, then 8. Just don't let yourself stay in bed when it goes off.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well I went to bed at 3am and set the alarm for 8am but I slapped snooze over and over until 10am. Tomorrow Ill try until 9am. Maybe Ill start getting up at 9am each day. Seems when I use the snooze I actually dream or remember the dreams more. I didn't dream at all for 3 months after my wife passed and since then I cant really remember them. Maybe I remembered 3 dreams. Now I dont remember them a lot but I know Ive dreamed. Not sure how that works but I do know. When I smack snooze I have mini dreams not connected to each other. This morning I dreamed of my wife in one, our little dog who passed in 2007 in another, and for some reason the cast of STTNG in another lol.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

I can't stand listening to every youtube/streamer I seem to come across. Or the ones my kids tend to watch either. Ugh, I hate listening to people who seem to talk because they like to hear themselves talk. And so phony - I'm sure they have a used car to sell me as long as I like the video and hit subscribe. Makes me want to scream.

The fact that I'm watching a video for information that could be summarized in 5-10 lines of text is also infuriating.

:angry-cussing:
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Or when I look for a bit of information on something - how to fix a PC issue, a hint on a video game, and so forth, and all I get are 20 minute videos.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:46 am Well I went to bed at 3am and set the alarm for 8am but I slapped snooze over and over until 10am. Tomorrow Ill try until 9am. Maybe Ill start getting up at 9am each day. Seems when I use the snooze I actually dream or remember the dreams more.
Like me, you might have issues with prolonged sleep inertia or having "sleep drunkenness". There's not much you can do, but routine is critical - along with not hitting your snooze. If I don't time my sleep cycle right, I'm absolutely useless for 2-3 hours after waking up; sometimes it's the whole day.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I've occasionally considered working out a way to hook my alarm to a daylight lamp situated near my head.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

What if you hooked up your light to a "Clapper" and set your alarm clock to a clapping sound.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Oh, I'm sure there's a much more elegant solution. The problem is more that there isn't a solution to "I'm too damned lazy to actually bother."
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Jaymann wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:56 pm What if you hooked up your light to a "Clapper" and set your alarm clock to a clapping sound.
If you can sleep through 2+ hours of hitting your alarm snooze, a light isn't going to make a difference. One time in college I was nudged awake in my dorm room by a fire fighter in turnout gear because because I didn't hear the smoke alarm (and quad-apartment alarm) going off around 6am. I hadn't even been drinking - just completely oblivious.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Smoove_B wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:10 pm
Jaymann wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:56 pm What if you hooked up your light to a "Clapper" and set your alarm clock to a clapping sound.
If you can sleep through 2+ hours of hitting your alarm snooze, a light isn't going to make a difference. One time in college I was nudged awake in my dorm room by a fire fighter in turnout gear because because I didn't hear the smoke alarm (and quad-apartment alarm) going off around 6am. I hadn't even been drinking - just completely oblivious.
I believe he was replying to me. I don't use the snooze function.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Ahhh...maybe. I guess I was clarifying for Daehawk then - light isn't going to fix his issue. It might work for you. :D