Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Blackhawk

Re: Random randomness

Post by Blackhawk »

hepcat wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:36 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:31 pm as a teenager used to eat raw meat straight from the suprmarket on the way home, and in my younger teens ate things I'd found dead in the desert that had probably been there longer than I'd been alive.
Good God, I think I saw the documentary on your early years. The Hills Have Eyes.
I haven't seen it, but I assume that it is about crazy people. The latter instance was because I was obsessed with primitive wilderness survival techniques. For an example, I built a Paiute summer house and spent a couple of weeks living in it in the middle of the desert, learned to make cord, rope, food, tools, etc. from native materials. The example I gave was me wanting to prove to myself that, in a primitive survival situation, i could eat what was available. I figured if I could gnaw on that (it was the leg of a long-dead owl), I could eat whatever would be required if it was that or death.

And yeah, I was a moron.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:19 pmAnd yeah, I was a moron.
Alternatively, you could have been Dave Canterbury, Matt Graham or Cody Lundin. You just never know.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:19 pm
hepcat wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:36 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:31 pm as a teenager used to eat raw meat straight from the suprmarket on the way home, and in my younger teens ate things I'd found dead in the desert that had probably been there longer than I'd been alive.
Good God, I think I saw the documentary on your early years. The Hills Have Eyes.
I haven't seen it, but I assume that it is about crazy people.
Not really. More about a close knit family of survivalists living on a former nuclear testing site in the desert who sometimes err on the side of cannibalism. I think it was a Disney production.
He won. Period.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

work constantly orders the exact same six-pack of Stash tea from Costco. the Earl Grey and Green go first - usually not lasting out the month. English Breakfast is moderately consumed, while Peppermint is slower. Camomille really lags, but it actually gets consumed...eventually... unlike the Chai (the only one of these of which there are multiple unopened boxes in the cabinet, mouldering away).
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Oh God I really really hate green tea.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:47 pm Oh God I really really hate green tea.
you're probably brewing it wrong.

water temperature should only be between 160 and 175 degrees F (NOT boiling) and leaves steeped only for 1-3 minutes, depending (NOT left in the cup for an indeterminate amount of time). green tea leaves are kinda delicate and requires attention to the preparation method. using too hot water and/or steeping too long WILL make it quite bitter - likely to the point of rendering it undrinkable.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I dont brew it I buy it cold bottled. Never liked any I tried. Ill stick to cold super sweet southern tea. The last time I brewed hot tea was in the 90s and had Earl Grey of course with cream and sugar.

Actually I boil tea for my sweet tea but I dont have it much. 1 pitcher this year. Wife loved it so made it more for her. :(
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I really like Lipton's Peach tea. I could drink nothing but that for the rest of my life.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

He won. Period.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I drink iced tea occasionally during the summer if it's fresh-brewed and unsweetened. I add just a wee bit of sugar and a squeeze of lemon. Presweetened is always way, way too sweet for me. Hot tea? Only with Asian food. I'm agnostic on black vs. green; whatever the restaurant thinks goes best with their food is fine with me.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:09 pm Ill stick to cold super sweet southern tea.
tried this for the first time when i was in Texas the other month. felt like my teeth were going to rot out of my skull right then and there
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

There were 2 places in the mall that had the best tea we loved. A little quick stop place I cant recall the name of...think it was something like Newspaper Corner or some such. The other was Petros. Both had a hint of orange tea. That was the name. You could see orange slices in the giant tea kegs. So so good. Miss them.

Enlarge Image
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

hitbyambulance wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:03 pmtried this for the first time when i was in Texas the other month. felt like my teeth were going to rot out of my skull right then and there
Need to map out Sweet Tea consumption rates as a function of the "Diabetes Belt" and look for correlation. I'd be amazed if it wasn't already done.

Enlarge Image
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

hitbyambulance wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:53 pm
Daehawk wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:47 pm Oh God I really really hate green tea.
you're probably brewing it wrong.

water temperature should only be between 160 and 175 degrees F (NOT boiling) and leaves steeped only for 1-3 minutes, depending (NOT left in the cup for an indeterminate amount of time). green tea leaves are kinda delicate and requires attention to the preparation method. using too hot water and/or steeping too long WILL make it quite bitter - likely to the point of rendering it undrinkable.
I'm guessing that Daehawk is talking about the bottled/canned green tea, loaded with HFCS and/or Honey, with little real green tea in it.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I'll swallow all the coffee I can hold, but I can't drink black tea without getting nauseous.

This is especially true of European-style teas like Earl Grey and English Breakfast and etc. At a Chinese restaurant I can drink a small cup of tea (I assume this is black?) without difficulty.

I assume there's some sort of allergy involved.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:24 pm
hitbyambulance wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:03 pmtried this for the first time when i was in Texas the other month. felt like my teeth were going to rot out of my skull right then and there
Need to map out Sweet Tea consumption rates as a function of the "Diabetes Belt" and look for correlation. I'd be amazed if it wasn't already done.

Enlarge Image
Here in Texas, there is a Sweet Tea version of Gold Peak (nee Coca Cola). We took a road trip to my folks in Florida a couple years back. After we passed into Louisiana, our first convenience store stop showed us that we were not a market for their Extra Sweet Tea.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I have yet to ever taste a tea I liked.

Green, black, sweet, iced, or otherwise...they’re all disgusting.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Most sweet teas in a bottle are barely sweet. Southern sweet is much sweeter normally. Subway used to have great sweet tea too.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

hepcat wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:15 pm Straight Up Sorta Sweet Tea for the win.
My girlfriend was at Marianos yesterday and said she saw the sorta sweet, unsweet, and sweet. She bought the sweet.
I had one at work this morning. I was bouncing off the freaking walls. Looked at the label.....89% of daily allowance of sugar in that one bottle.
Yeah.....sorta sweet from now on.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Holman wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:40 pm This is especially true of European-style teas like Earl Grey and English Breakfast and etc. At a Chinese restaurant I can drink a small cup of tea (I assume this is black?) without difficulty.

I assume there's some sort of allergy involved.
Chinese restaurant teas are either oolong or green jasmine. the 'european-style' you speak of is made from fully oxidized tea leaves. oolong is less so and green, even less than that.
Skinypupy wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:12 pm I have yet to ever taste a tea I liked.

i feel the same way about coffee. it's quite literally the only food/beverage flavor in the world i can not stand.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Dont care for coffee either but Ill drink hot coffee with cream and sugar if its free . I do like sweet cold coffee.

I was looking at the calories Ive been ingesting over this year. I buy junk food cheap food and still dont have enough food so dont tell me to eat better. But the potted meat in a tiny little can list 250 calories and of those 200 are fat calories. Ugh. Ive been eating this stuff all the time for months. No wonder I gained weight.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:34 pm Dont care for coffee either but Ill drink hot coffee with cream and sugar if its free . I do like sweet cold coffee.

I was looking at the calories Ive been ingesting over this year. I buy junk food cheap food and still dont have enough food so dont tell me to eat better. But the potted meat in a tiny little can list 250 calories and of those 200 are fat calories. Ugh. Ive been eating this stuff all the time for months. No wonder I gained weight.
Always remember that fat and salt are the cheapest ways for sellers to make food tasty.

Watch your back (or, well, butt and belly).
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I get better food from the local food help places...canned stuff like potatoes and veggies and dry goods like beans...lots of beans. Its like a marathon of Blazing Saddles.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

hitbyambulance wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:26 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:12 pm I have yet to ever taste a tea I liked.

i feel the same way about coffee. it's quite literally the only food/beverage flavor in the world i can not stand.
I have the same opinion on coffee. I find it undrinkable.

I think it mostly stems from a fairly strict Mormon upbringing and it simply not being a thing in Utah. The LDS "Word of Wisdom" (code of conduct, basically) says that members should have no "hot drinks", which includes coffee and tea. That sort of morphed into any sort of tea for some damn reason, so tea and coffee simply weren't things I was ever around growing up. My parents didn't drink it, none of my friend's parents drank it (publicly, anyways), it was never served at meals...it just didn't really exist. My first taste of coffee or tea of any kind was at 13 years old, and I thought it was nasty.

I do love the smell of coffee though, even if I find the taste terrible.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Sweet tea is popular here. The funny thing is the sheer number of people who drink it because pop is too unhealthy. Super sweet tea has way more sugar than pop. You'd be better off just drinking syrup out of a bottle. Blech.

Indiana has three flavors: Too salty, too greasy, and too sweet.

And it kills people off in droves.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I drink a lot of coffee -- dark roasts, black. Not a coffee snob, but I do need and enjoy my morning pot, unadulterated.

As I said earlier, I like hot tea with appropriate food (such as Vietnamese). Never by itself, though. It always seems thin and weak to me, like drinking hot water with a bit of flavoring. It's not unpleasant, just not very satisfying.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I used to love and make Lipton Sun Tea. Not a type really but you put Lipton bags in a large glass keg and sit in the sun half a day or so. It really does make the smoothest tea I ever had. I have to boil the tea I have because its a cheap brand but we used to love the cold brew tea. Just stick a bag in a gallon of water in the fridge and it would be read in a few hours.

Enlarge Image
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Didn't realize until this afternoon this was a federal holiday.
Who the hell wants to honor Columbus now a days?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

dbt1949 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:29 pm Didn't realize until this afternoon this was a federal holiday.
Who the hell wants to honor Columbus now a days?
Some places are rebranding it as Indigenous Peoples Day. Seems to be catching on.

This veers into politics, but Columbus Day was part of how Italians became white.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I don't drink coffee either. And tea is just too boring. I've tried making ice coffee but those don't taste right either.

If I go into Starbucks I'd order their lemon Ice tea with splenda.

I used to chug Snapple and Lipton Brisk tea and similar "ice tea" but found them full of sugar that I quit that as well. Same with SOBE and similar drinks. I only drink diet Coke nowadays, with occasional exceptions, like that Orange Mountain Dew (something Lightning?)
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

On a road trip with the family over the weekend, we passed through an area of Maine that's clearly ready for the legalized marijuana; field after field after field of the stuff growing out in the open. No fences, no security. At first I was like "Man, those are tiny ugly-ass Christmas trees. Who's going to want to buy those?" then the smell made it through the vents on the car and I did a double-take. Until then, the only rows of greenery I had seen like that were tree farms.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

That was hemp.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Z-Corn wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:15 amThat was hemp.
In a state were pot is recreationally legal with stores selling it over the counter, how can you tell?
Black Lives Matter

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Paingod wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:35 am
In a state were pot is recreationally legal with stores selling it over the counter, how can you tell?
From what you said:
No fences, no security.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:36 am
Paingod wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:35 am
From what you said:
No fences, no security.
Also: open pollination.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:36 am From what you said:
No fences, no security.
Gotcha. I thought maybe they just didn't care, with thousands of plants growing.
Black Lives Matter

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Paingod wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:43 am
Smoove_B wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:36 am From what you said:
No fences, no security.
Gotcha. I thought maybe they just didn't care, with thousands of plants growing.
Legalization doesn't mean there isn't a black market. Unprotected pot would be pillaged and resold immediately.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Kasey Chang wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:52 am I don't drink coffee either. And tea is just too boring. I've tried making ice coffee but those don't taste right either.

If I go into Starbucks I'd order their lemon Ice tea with splenda.

I used to chug Snapple and Lipton Brisk tea and similar "ice tea" but found them full of sugar that I quit that as well. Same with SOBE and similar drinks. I only drink diet Coke nowadays, with occasional exceptions, like that Orange Mountain Dew (something Lightning?)
Had unsweetened passion fruit iced tea at a sushi joint last night. It was good, but at retail level the stuff is still pricy.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

Tea give me headaches. Black tea is a regular headache, but drinking green tea triggers a migraine. Just the smell of it can give me a headache.
I have never tried white tea, but I assume it would be lethal to me.

However, herbal stuff, without any of the actual Tea Plant in it. I have a variety of tasty herbal teas. I even have a favorite tea blender
https://fridaytea.com/

They have an online shop, and offline if you are near Seattle I recommend it. Friday is a hoot, and she makes some tasty teas. They sell a lot of geek themed blends, so if you need the perfect tea for game of thrones or battlestar galactica, shes got you covered.

Note, I only partake in her herbal blends, obviously, but the ones I have tried were all delicious. My favorite is Bookworm Blend.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Been trying to get kudzu down in the back area for 2 days. When i was 20 and no kudzu I could clean the entire place in 2 days. After 2 days I have a small yet visible spot cleaned. My plan was to cut it low then cut what I could reach hanging. But its so thick I cant get into it. So the plan now it to cut it high then squish it down and leave it. Thatg way it cant get into my trees again. Its the reaching up thats killing me.

But I can only manage 30 minutes a day. Its pathetic. At the 30 min mark my body screams at me "YOU'RE A 50 YEAR OLD DISABLED MAN!!!!". Sad really. Today was my right shoulder feeling like it wanted to fall off but make me pass out first. Welp theres always tomorrow..and next week and next year. I hope I can get this first half done this year so come spring I have only the smaller'ish area to do.