Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Re: Random randomness

Post by Daehawk »

You're correct and I knew that yet I messed it up and didn't even realize it until you typed that. Ohhh well.

As I parked today and was getting out the Google camera car drove past me in front of the store. I waved :P
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

It's funny how one tiny hair that I can barely see with my naked eye can cause my wireless mouse to act like complete s*** when it's stuck just over the sensor. I had to check twice to actually catch the thing and remove it, and was on the verge of smashing the mouse before I discovered it.
Daehawk wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:56 pmAs I parked today and was getting out the Google camera car drove past me in front of the store. I waved :P
Google has noted your shopping preferences, time of day you like to travel, vehicle package choices, dress code, estimated income level, tracked your home using facial recognition tied to Facebook and your ISP - and then blurred your face to protect your privacy. Carry on, Citizen. :P
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

So...............my stepson's stepson was driving his mother's car the other day and lost control for some reason and drove into the ditch. Smashed his oil filter and drove it back to their/his house. How he didn't destroy the oil pan I'll never know.
I found out about this when I came home and saw this line of oil on the road from where he crashed most of the way home with the oil stain on the road getting lighter and lighter all the way.
He said there was still oil in the engine. I sure can't see how, but he drove it a mile after crashing.
Well, at least he has an attitude and quit working a couple of months and his wife left him and he's living next door in a travel trailer with his mom and dad.
It turns out his wife a good catch too. She abandoned her children so she could run around and the daughter went to live with the other grandmother and the little boy is living in the travel trailer next door with his dad and grandmother and grandfather.
My stepson's other stepson is living in his old trailer which is parked next door.
There's a long sad story about him too.
And people wonder why I'm looking forward to dieing.
<sigh> :grund:
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Went in a McDonalds yesterday for some fries before my doc appt and to waste some time. I ordered a medium fry. She rang it up and said slide my card. I did and thats when I saw $4.26. I said "Wait wait nearly $5 for fries??" And she said ya they have gone up. I say "NO way fries are $5 theres some mistake." ..Oh no she says..small kids fries are $1.29 so mediums are that much. "Cant be just cant be I say"

My ticket prints out and she charged me for 2 fry orders not 1. Even then thats high but I had the manager refund me for one of them. From now on I look at the screen before sliding my card.
Brian

Post by Brian »

My fat ass self would have just eaten two orders of frys.

:pop: <- Sub popcorn with frys.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Brian wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:51 pm My fat ass self would have just eaten two orders of frys.

:pop: <- Sub popcorn with frys.
And I would have asked that they simply switch it to 3-4 orders of kids fries. Of course that's still probably less fries than 2 mediums, so...maybe I would have eaten the 2 mediums as well.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

https://videosift.com/video/Where-Your- ... ic-Ends-Up
The mass production of single-use plastic has put us in the biggest recycling crisis in history.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

The problem with not answering phone calls with numbers you do not recognize is you may be getting legitimate phone calls.
For instance I have a cell phone and I don't use it except for emergencies. But when I call, my number isn't recognized and no one answers. :?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I get calls from some recording almost every day telling me in a super cheery voice that my car warranty is either expired or will expire. Well no shit dumbass my car is an 01. I HATE those calls. And I started writing the number down and it turns out the same place uses at least 8 different numbers with my own area code or more.

I think the other day paying for some food at the store I either hung on on the recording, hung up on someone too cheerful, or hung up on another recording from a different place.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

They fake the numbers. They're not really coming from where it says they are. It only gets really fun when they start using your number to call others.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I dont know the guy and Im not trying to be mean but that guy on Jeopardy is making the show SOOooooo boring. He has no personality when he is playing, he answers almost every question and is almost always right. Click bing click bing over and over. He's been there 15 day and won like $1.2 million and it feels like a year to me. No one has a chance. I turn in to see if he is gone sometimes or to see if he may lose. Then I get caught up and watch it then regret it at the end.

It got me thinking about Ken Jennings and his $3 million 75 day run in 2004. I thought after him they changed the rules so champions could stay no longer than 5 days. His run was boring too after a while. But from reading online it seems that was before he was there and in 2003 they changed the rules to allow champions to stay until they lost. Ugh. So boring. Id not even want to show up while he is there. Props to whoever beats him.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Reminds me of that commercial they have on now that satirizes those kind of guys.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Can you imagine how depressing it would be to try for years to get on that show and then find out you are going up against one of those fuckers.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:08 pm They fake the numbers. They're not really coming from where it says they are. It only gets really fun when they start using your number to call others.
Tell me about it. I once got an angry call from someone on the other side of the country that demanded I stop calling them to offer a reverse mortgage on their home.

But the best is when they use your own number as the fake calling number. The scam call is coming from inside the house!
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Max Peck wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:39 pm

Tell me about it. I once got an angry call from someone on the other side of the country that demanded I stop calling them to offer a reverse mortgage on their home.
I was offering warranty service, apparently. "Why you call me!?!"
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:08 pm They fake the numbers. They're not really coming from where it says they are. It only gets really fun when they start using your number to call others.
And not limited to phone calls either. I've recently gotten completely random texts on my phone from scammers. :?

Oh and that reminds me. Two years ago during the Eclipse trip, I had to get a new number (as I don't do roaming and on AT&T's pay as you go plan) and only after a single day of having that number do I get a completely random call via someone calling my supposedly spoofed number. Joy! :shock:
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

I got a text once from someone wondering why I called. I had to explain the whole robocalling scam to get the other person to quit bugging me. Never did find out what I allegedly called them about, though.
Hodor.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:08 pm I dont know the guy and Im not trying to be mean but that guy on Jeopardy is making the show SOOooooo boring. He has no personality when he is playing, he answers almost every question and is almost always right. Click bing click bing over and over. He's been there 15 day and won like $1.2 million and it feels like a year to me. No one has a chance. I turn in to see if he is gone sometimes or to see if he may lose. Then I get caught up and watch it then regret it at the end.

It got me thinking about Ken Jennings and his $3 million 75 day run in 2004. I thought after him they changed the rules so champions could stay no longer than 5 days. His run was boring too after a while. But from reading online it seems that was before he was there and in 2003 they changed the rules to allow champions to stay until they lost. Ugh. So boring. Id not even want to show up while he is there. Props to whoever beats him.
Articles about this in The Atlantic - he'll lose eventually, but more and more people want to see it, so ratings are going up, even as the shows prize budget takes a short-term hit.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Caller ID is patently useless these days.

FCC on Caller ID Spoofing
It's almost as if people are the problem.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:23 am Caller ID is patently useless these days.

FCC on Caller ID Spoofing
If my Pixel 3 tells me it's a suspected spam caller, I'll sometimes let the Pixel's auto answer service answer for me, just to see what happens.
Hodor.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

For those of use that don't understand: What does happen?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Furniture is bullshit.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

So is sitting or laying on the floor.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Furniture I can move by myself? Not bullshit. Furniture that requires multiple people to move? Bullshit.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Unagi wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:08 am For those of use that don't understand: What does happen?
Click here.
Hodor.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:17 am Furniture I can move by myself? Not bullshit. Furniture that requires multiple people to move? Bullshit.
Sliders. If it's across a relatively smooth surface. If it involves going outside, hire someone.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

pr0ner wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:27 am
Unagi wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:08 am For those of use that don't understand: What does happen?
Click here.
Doesn't that also (/still) give the caller the 'positive hit' from the call being answered, and hence promote future calls?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Literally cannot give away furniture. Like..come and take it - free. I suppose if I wanted to also risk losing a kidney, I could make a posting on Craig's List and wait to see the interesting characters that come by to get stuff. I've contacted charity organizations - not interested or would need me to get it there. Best I have is an estate guy, but he told me he's just going to bring 90% of it to the dump - because no one is buying used furniture anymore. So I'd be paying him for my stuff. Well, paying him to hump my stuff out of my house, really. Generally speaking, it's depressing as hell. Downsizing is great, but it's also a pain in the gulliver.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Unagi wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:19 pm
pr0ner wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:27 am
Click here.
Doesn't that also (/still) give the caller the 'positive hit' from the call being answered, and hence promote future calls?
I haven't seen an uptick in robocalls lately. In fact, I've been pretty free of them the past few days. It tends to come in spurts, though.

But, if answering with their call screener is a "positive hit", wouldn't voice mail be considered that, too? I mean, I love the cutoff voicemails I sometimes get where the robocall clearly starts talking as soon as my voice mail message starts, and I only get the last few seconds of their speech.
Hodor.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:23 pm Literally cannot give away furniture. Like..come and take it - free. I suppose if I wanted to also risk losing a kidney, I could make a posting on Craig's List and wait to see the interesting characters that come by to get stuff. I've contacted charity organizations - not interested or would need me to get it there. Best I have is an estate guy, but he told me he's just going to bring 90% of it to the dump - because no one is buying used furniture anymore. So I'd be paying him for my stuff. Well, paying him to hump my stuff out of my house, really. Generally speaking, it's depressing as hell. Downsizing is great, but it's also a pain in the gulliver.
I'd take the estate guy's offer or hire movers cheaper. Or get in tough with your inner Hatchetman, reduce it to kindling, and have the Trashmen take it for you.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm 100% with you. Having stuff gone with the help of someone is worth paying for, IMHO. The wife wants to believe our stuff will go somewhere and be used, not destined for a landfill (i.e. picked up and re-purposed by Salvation Army). Option #1 involves me writing a check. Option #2 involves lifting stuff. To quote Murtaugh, "I'm getting to old for this shit".

I already have Trent on speed-dial for his chainsaw skills. There was a 20 yard dumpster I filled last week; I'd likely need another one to deal with whatever he cuts up.

Also, never move. Never.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Those who do not perform the actions do not get to critique the results. If she wants them to go somewhere and be used, then she needs to take ownership of it.

When we moved into this house, we hired movers, and still took over a week to get out of the old apartment and into the house. There are still untouched crates in the garage. It's been four years this summer.

If we ever move again, it will be out of state. I'm not moving across town again. We will retire in this house, or we will no longer be in Texas.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Our new house came with a massive electric fireplace from Costco that my wife hated. We we put it up on Craigslist for $200 (1/3 price) and the questions showed apparently those people do not read and are stupid.

Eventually some farmer drove into Chicago to buy it for the asking price but I had to help her and her daughters move it into the cattle trailer. Ad said "you come and get it."
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:23 pm I suppose if I wanted to also risk losing a kidney, I could make a posting on Craig's List and wait to see the interesting characters that come by to get stuff.
i feel you're exaggerating the danger, sliiightly. i've posted lots of items (for sale and for free) and generally have had positive experiences. lots do flake out, but that's expected now. people will even take used mattresses within a week of posting.

it would be funny if you listed it for, say, -$5 - i wonder what the responses would be like.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

If I could just leave the stuff in my garage I'd consider it. But the couches need probably 3 people to move and one of them (futon) is on the second floor. The estate guy that was here this morning even said, "how the hell did you get these in here?" I wasn't around; I have no idea but clearly it happened.

The idea of putting an ad on the Internet for three free couches and random strangers would then show up to my house and need to come inside and get the stuff? Hell to the no.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Leave you furniture in the garage and pretend like you want to keep it and leave the garage door open.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

And furniture is one thing I would kill for. Our couch is 20 years old, and a very large friend who likes to fall (rather than sit) crunched it years ago. But again, no truck, nobody to help.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:37 pm
Also, never move. Never.
Move vs. stuck in the house you've been lamenting for a decade? Seems like an easy choice, actually. :)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

And the state.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

pr0ner wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:24 pm But, if answering with their call screener is a "positive hit", wouldn't voice mail be considered that, too?
true.