Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

Re: Random randomness

Post by Isgrimnur »

The corners of my work street and the interstate have panhandlers on the corners every day. I'd rather work a productive job in an air-conditioned building, but some people are willing to stand or sit in the Texas heat and rely on the kindness of gullible strangers.

Tell me what the rules are, and I'll tell you how I play the game.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

You know in all those movies and tv shows where you’re torturing information out of a bad guy by shooting the knee, waterboarding,slapping them around? All you really need to do is strap them into the passenger seat of your car while transporting 4 12-13 year old girls with their phones and social media’s accounts on a thirty minute car ride...

OH GOD, I’LL TELL YOU WHERE THE BOMB IS! I’LL TELL YOU. OH NO...NOT A TRAFFIC JAM! HAVE MERCY, USE WAZE!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

If you follow the links in the links, you'll find comments from people who know him who state that he is, in fact, handicapped. He apparently doesn't need the chair to get around, but has trouble walking without it, and that 'not homeless' is because he's living in a neighbor's shed.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
xwraith

Post by xwraith »

Shocking!
Spoiler:
I forgot to call it "a box of pure malevolent evil, a purveyor of
insidious insanity, an eldritch manifestation that would make Bill
Gates let out a low whistle of admiration," but it's all those, too.
-- David Gerard, Re: [Mediawiki-l] Wikitext grammar, 2010.08.06
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Well earned. He's performing a service making people feel guilt free.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I hate local drivers....if you can call it driving. They pull out in front of you then go 10 mph as if they are blind and lost. They will suddenly stop for no reason or ride the brake going 30 mph. One will suddenly decide they want to turn left...from the right lane. Ya some idiot in the right lane cut across in front of me then into the turn lane and stopped with just the tip of his bumper out. I was tempted to shove it up his arse. A trip to town that should have been 3 hours turned into 5 hours. All with NO ac in the car and only 1 window working.

Also the banks had 4 teller slots but only 1 or 2 tellers for a line to the door. Also about 6 offices with desks but only one poor lady working there too.

I swear I got a chicken breast at noon and when I got home at 2:30 it was still nice and warm and it was inside with me not the trunk.
Last edited by Daehawk on Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I have driven all over the country. The worst drivers in the country live in New Orleans. Stop on the onramp to see if the freeway is clear anyone?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Had an old lady do that to me and my wife about 28 years ago. Only time I ever saw that until I was watching a online ep of hotrod magazine and they have stop lights on their ramps there. But the old lady here had no lights..just old agedness

Picked up a box of Chicken in a Biskit today. Haven't had any since Donna grabbed a box a few years back. Forgot just how good they are. Of course having chicken powder on them the chihuahua loves them too.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

dbt1949 wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:52 pm I have driven all over the country. The worst drivers in the country live in New Orleans. Stop on the onramp to see if the freeway is clear anyone?
My aunt does that. There is an on-ramp by where I grew up that has a stop sign at the end of the ramp right before the merge. It's because the merge lane is about 25 feet long and in the middle of a blind curve. Anyway, this is not where my aunt lives or ever lived. But when she discovered it, she was overjoyed. She finally had, in her mind, an excuse for stopping at every other entrance ramp in the nation.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Oscar Mayer hot dog ice cream sandwiches

And pregnant ladies everywhere go crazy.
Oscar Mayer is introducing Limited Edition Ice Dog Sandwiches.

They're made with candied Oscar Mayer Hot Dog bits, Hot Dog Ice Cream, Spicy Mustard Ice Cream and a cookie bun.
Enlarge Image
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Do not want.

No sir.

Do not want.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:20 pm Do not want.

No sir.

Do not want.
I know, right? Dijon. What were they thinking.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Dijon? On hot dog ice cream? Not at all!

It's missing the ketchup sprinkles!
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

And the relish swirl.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im old so some words are just wrong sounding to me and always will be ..

To me it is .....

smaller not littler
plead not pleaded
learned not learnt
octopi not octopuses
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:44 pm learned not learnt
Yeah, but you aren't British ;)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Fan throws 96 mph baseballs at game on pro radar gun...A's sign him 2 weeks later.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/sa ... -patterson
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Well crap. Looks like I'm going to have to call animal control. Big red dog is hanging around our front porch. Friendly as can be but runs into our house every time we open our front door.
Made the mistake of petting him today and threw a piece of ham out the front door to get him out of the house one time. Now he thinks he's home.Has a collar and a flea collar but no tag. Quite clean too.
I think he might belong to the new neighbors across the road but they have been gone all day and still aren't home. :(
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:44 pm Im old so some words are just wrong sounding to me and always will be ..

To me it is .....

smaller not littler
plead not pleaded
learned not learnt
octopi not octopuses
Actually, octopuses is correct.

I once froze while trying to buy envelopes. I knew what I wanted, and I saw the boxes on the shelf, and they all said "envelopes," but that word might as well have been in Sanskrit. It just didn't register at all.

Every now and then my brain just goes on vacation without leaving an out-of-office message.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ya I get words are correct....now days especially...but they still dont sound right to me. As a child I said 'aint' all the time and always got scolded for it. Now its a word :)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Words don't require dictionaries to be words. If I express a series of sounds to represent something, and others are able to correctly understand what I mean, it's a word.

tl;dr - ain't was always a word.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Why are jalapeno tater tots not a thing? And if they are why are they not around here?
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:59 pm Why are jalapeno tater tots not a thing? And if they are why are they not around here?
Why not just make your own homemade version instead, adding however many jalapenos you prefer to the mix? Looks to be a pretty simple and inexpensive recipe, so it shouldn't be difficult (if you don't have a food processor, shredding the potatoes with the coarse side of a grater would likely work just as well).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:14 pm
Daehawk wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:59 pm Why are jalapeno tater tots not a thing? And if they are why are they not around here?
Why not just make your own homemade version instead, adding however many jalapenos you prefer to the mix? Looks to be a pretty simple and inexpensive recipe, so it shouldn't be difficult (if you don't have a food processor, shredding the potatoes with the coarse side of a grater would likely work just as well).

2nd link for google "jalapeno potato"

https://www.foodiewithfamily.com/cheesy ... o-poppers/

Looks pretty good.
Ingredients

6 cups leftover mashed potatoes cold
1 beaten egg
1 1/4 cups shredded Monterey Jack or Pepper Jack cheese
3/4 cup flour
1 fresh jalapeno pepper stemmed then finely minced
4 green onions trimmed of the root ends and finely minced
2 to 3 inches of canola or peanut oil in a heavy-bottomed high-sided pan
salt for sprinkling after frying

Instructions

Mix together the mashed potatoes, beaten egg, grated cheese, flour, jalapeno pepper, and green onions until you have an even mixture. Set aside.
Heat the oil in the pan until shimmery or until it reaches 350°F on a deep-frying thermometer. Carefully drop spoonfuls or use a small cookie scoop to drop small rounds of the batter into the hot oil. Fry for 3 to 5 minutes, or until deep golden brown. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the Cheesy Jalapeno Potato Poppers to a paper-towel lined plate to drain and immediately sprinkle with salt to taste. Repeat with the remaining potato mixture in as many batches as needed.
Serve hot, or chill the leftover, fried Cheesy Jalapeno Potato Poppers on a sheet pan, then freeze until solid and transfer to a resealable zipper top bag.

To Reheat Frozen Cheesy Jalapeno Potato Poppers:

Place desired number of Cheesy Jalapeno Potato Poppers on a foil lined sheet pan in a preheated 400°F. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or until hot all the way through.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I was thinking you can use one of those air fryers on the tots, then add jalapeno and green onions (both minced/chopped) to taste. Wonder if you can add bacon bits? I'm just freeballing this idea, no idea if it would work. But if you chopped all three and mix them together... Then divide them among the tots... Either scoop out a little on top and drop it in there, or just add a little egg white to one end as "glue" and stick the mixture on. Then you can bake them on a cookie sheet to finish, or even microwave them. HYPOTHETICALLY.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

17 year old teenager throws 6 year old stranger off 10th floor.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/04/europe/t ... index.html

Also remember the guy who tried to fly from France to England on a hoverboard but came up short? Well he made it this time. New record. Also 100 mph?..wow.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/04/europe/f ... index.html
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:14 pm 17 year old teenager throws 6 year old stranger off 10th floor.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/04/europe/t ... index.html

Thank goodness for the 5 storey roof.

Reminds me of this:
The man who threw the boy was Emmanuel Aranda, 24, of Minneapolis. Aranda pleaded guilty in May to attempted premeditated first-degree murder. A judge sentenced him to 19 years in prison in June.

According to a criminal complaint, the boy and his mother were outside the Rain Forest Café on April 12 when Aranda came up close to them. The mother had never seen Aranda before, and she asked if she and her son should move.

Instead, Aranda picked up the boy and threw him over the railing, the complaint states.

MYT
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Yep.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I see this a lot, sometimes personally. I've seen one panhandler get into a friggin' Lexus SUV she had parked off behind a building and drive off in it. I've never handed a dime out the window, never will. There are a lot of places people can go for support that don't require standing in the middle of a road. That leaves me assuming they have one of two agendas: supporting a habit or running a scam. I'm not interested in sponsoring either.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Slept wrong on Thursday night and spent the entire weekend not being able to move my head more than a few degrees to each side. There's a massive knot in my upper back/shoulder on the right hand side. It's been easing up a little bit over the last couple days, but is still massively painful.

Getting old suuuuuucks.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Skinypupy wrote:Slept wrong on Thursday night and spent the entire weekend not being able to move my head more than a few degrees to each side. There's a massive knot in my upper back/shoulder on the right hand side. It's been easing up a little bit over the last couple days, but is still massively painful.

Getting old suuuuuucks.
Been dealing with that same problem for two weeks now. Finally got on Naproxen and doing neck stretches.

Playing slow pitch softball, the sun was setting to my left, instead of moving my ball cap to the side, I tilted my neck over and slightly down. That's all it took.

Getting old sucks.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

If you get the chance and love Roman history check out the city of Thamugadi on the web. I just discovered it myself. Amazing looking place. 2000 years old in the Sahara desert.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:02 pm Had an old lady do that to me and my wife about 28 years ago. Only time I ever saw that until I was watching a online ep of hotrod magazine and they have stop lights on their ramps there. But the old lady here had no lights..just old agedness
Our freeways here have stop lights on the on ramps that are used during rush hours to limit traffic going onto the freeways. There is usually planty of room though to get up to speed once the light changes.
Black Lives Matter
morlac

Post by morlac »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:23 pm Oscar Mayer hot dog ice cream sandwiches

And pregnant ladies everywhere go crazy.
Oscar Mayer is introducing Limited Edition Ice Dog Sandwiches.

They're made with candied Oscar Mayer Hot Dog bits, Hot Dog Ice Cream, Spicy Mustard Ice Cream and a cookie bun.
Enlarge Image
Jeebus, an abomination to be sure. Plus hot dogs are NOT sandwhiches ;)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I know this story has been posted before but this is a little animated explanation on it. In WW2 a B17 mortally wounded was escorted to safety by a German BF-109. In the 1990s they finally met each other and became close friends. They lived close to each other and never knew it.. Vancouver and Seattle. They also died within months of each other in 2008. Seemed to be linked to each other in some strange way.

Enlarge Image
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:53 pm Words don't require dictionaries to be words. If I express a series of sounds to represent something, and others are able to correctly understand what I mean, it's a word.

tl;dr - ain't was always a word.
when I was a kid, the adults use to always tell me that ain't was not a word, and it was not in the dictionary.

When my grandmother died, I inherited her dictionary. its a webster unabridged published in 1950. Ain't is in there.

they lied to me all those years.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The only real rule to the English language is consistency. If it's used a lot, it eventually becomes correct.
Covfefe!
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

hepcat wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:59 pm The only real rule to the English language is consistency. If it's used a lot, it eventually becomes correct.
Literally!
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The biggest thing I took away from my courses in linguistics was how much language adapts and changes. People tend to get bent out of shape when new words appear, or when words start to mean something they didn't used to.

But that's exactly how language works, and why English even exists.