Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Scuzz

Re: Random randomness

Post by Scuzz »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:03 pm I am utterly and completely at my wits end. The Wonder Twins turn 5 in ten days...and one of them is still not toilet trained. He will go if we physically walk him into the bathroom (a small progress in and of itself), but he never takes the initiative to do it himself.

Honest to god, we have tried everything for the past two years. Every positive reinforcement technique known to man: sticker charts, kids toilets, fun underwear, treats if he uses it, reading on the potty, playing games on the potty, singing songs, legos/hot wheels/pokemon if he uses it, cheering and making a huge deal when he does go. Nada.

At the pediatrician's recommendation, we've tried negative reinforcement as well. Taking away toys if he goes in his pull-up, taking away ipod/video game time, not letting him go on playdates, not letting him play on the playground, all sort of threats and other consequences. Nothing.

He simply does not care. We tried just putting him in underwear, figuring that if he had an accident, he'd come tell us. Nope, he's perfectly happy to sit in his own filth and keep playing. He completely shrugs off taking away toys or other privileges, he's fine simply sitting on the floor singing to himself. Shaming doesn't work. Cheering doesn't work. We figured when Twin 1a figured it out (which he did months ago...he was a slow learner too), that Twin 1b would follow suit. Nothing.

I know that part of the issue stems from the bowel impaction he had back in September. The GI doc said it sometimes takes a year or so for all the internal muscles to get back to normal, but that his system functions just fine. Physically, there's nothing preventing him from using the toilet...he simply refuses to do so.

He's supposed to start kindergarten next month, and I'm seriously concerned that he won't be able to go, as the kids need to be 100% potty trained in order to start. We've threatened/begged/pleaded about that, but again...he doesn't care.

I honestly have no idea what the hell else to do at this point, other than hope he eventually figures it out. :grund:
just wait until that kid is a teenager. :)
Black Lives Matter
KDH

Post by KDH »

... :coffee: ... Microsoft confirms it will acquire GitHub for $7.5 billion
Spoiler:
The rumors were true: Microsoft has confirmed it’s buying GitHub for a whopping $7.5 billion in an all-stock transaction.

Reports first emerged last week that Microsoft was in advanced discussions to acquire the code-hosting repository, and these reports intensified over the weekend. Now we know for sure.

According to Microsoft, GitHub will adhere to its “developer-first” ethos and will continue to operate independently as a platform-agnostic service.

“Microsoft is a developer-first company, and by joining forces with GitHub we strengthen our commitment to developer freedom, openness, and innovation,” Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella said in a press release. “We recognize the community responsibility we take on with this agreement and will do our best work to empower every developer to build, innovate, and solve the world’s most pressing challenges.”

In related news, GitHub has been on the hunt for a new CEO since last August, after cofounder Chris Wanstrath revealed he was stepping down. Now that GitHub will be a Microsoft subsidiary, Microsoft corporate VP Nat Friedman will step in to take on the CEO role. Wanstrath will still be involved, but as a Microsoft technical fellow working on “strategic software initiatives.”
The story so far

Founded out of San Francisco in 2008, GitHub is better known for its free-to-use public open source libraries, which are used by countless companies, governments, and organizations to open their code for collaboration among the wider developer community. GitHub also offers private and enterprise-focused code repositories, which it charges for.

GitHub had raised around $350 million in funding since its inception, including a chunky $250 million round led by Sequoia Capital back in 2015, which gave GitHub a valuation of around $2 billion. However, GitHub has reportedly been hemorrhaging cash for a while, so any deal was expected to weigh in at substantially less than the company’s 2015 valuation. But that didn’t turn out to be the case — $7.5 billion is substantially more than many would’ve predicted, even if it is an all-stock transaction.

So why is Microsoft buying GitHub?

Microsoft has been increasingly embracing open source technologies in recent years — at its annual Build conference last month, for example, it revealed it was open-sourcing Azure IoT Edge runtime. Microsoft actually once offered its own code-hosting repository — known as CodePlex — however, Microsoft announced last year that it was closing this service down and partnering with GitHub instead. “Over the years, we’ve seen a lot of amazing options come and go, but at this point, GitHub is the de facto place for open source sharing, and most open source projects have migrated there,” noted Microsoft corporate vice president Brian Harry at the time.

Microsoft’s projects actually attracted the most contributors — compared to any other projects on GitHub last year — nearly double that of Facebook, the next most popular. It was the same story the previous year, too.

At Build last month, Microsoft once again partnered with GitHub, as it opened up Azure DevOps services to GitHub customers. And late last year GitHub revealed that it would be adopting Microsoft’s GVFS tool for managing large-scale source code repositories.

Ultimately, Microsoft needs developers on board as it doubles down on its previously stated mission to invest in the “intelligence cloud” and “intelligent edge.”

“The era of the intelligent cloud and intelligent edge is upon us,” Nadella added. “Computing is becoming embedded in the world, with every part of our daily life and work and every aspect of our society and economy being transformed by digital technology. Developers are the builders of this new era, writing the world’s code. And GitHub is their home.”

Moreover, Microsoft is well-positioned to up-sell, cross-sell, and generally sell the enterprise version of GitHub to its myriad existing customers — something that Nadella confirmed Microsoft would be looking to do.

“We will accelerate enterprise developers’ use of GitHub, with our direct sales and partner channels and access to Microsoft’s global cloud infrastructure and services,” he said.

Although Microsoft has pushed hard to position itself as a friend of the development community and purveyor of open-sourcing, the fact remains that today’s news won’t be greeted with open arms by large segments of GitHub’s 27 million-strong user base. Microsoft knows it can’t afford to peeve developers, which is why it is being particularly vocal about its intention to keep GitHub as it currently is, allowing developers to deploy code to “any operating system, any cloud, and any device.” But that doesn’t mean this deal won’t create closer alignments between Microsoft’s own services and those of GitHub. Only time will tell how Microsoft will fully leverage GitHub’s development community — will it strong-arm GitHub users onto Microsoft’s cloud and other software services, or perhaps sideline GitHub’s Atom editor in favor of Visual Studio’s code editor?

For developers unwilling to work with a Microsoft-owned GitHub, there are alternatives — such as GitLab, which raised a $20 million round of funding last year from big names like GV (formerly Google Ventures). An interesting side point here: GitLab recently revealed it was ditching Microsoft Azure in favor of Google Cloud.

The timing of today’s announcement is also notable, coming as Apple prepares to kick off its annual WWDC developer conference. A coincidence, perhaps, but one that ensures Microsoft steals at least a few column inches from its long-standing rival.

The GitHub transaction is expected to close by the end of 2018.

Ain't nobody got time for that
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
KDH

Post by KDH »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:52 pm --->"Balmer"<---
Is Balmer a smart guy? .. He got his position in MS by being Gates' buddy in college, didn't he?

I always had the impression he was Bill's muscle, so that he was only stuffed in a locker every other day.

could be wrong
Last edited by KDH on Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ain't nobody got time for that
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

He came from the sales side, not the engineering side. As far as I've heard he's plenty smart but he never really understood the technology.
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

I blew my nose earlier - too hard - and now it feels like my left ear is always "popped". Been this way for over 3 hours and it hurts. I tried everything I know to fix it but sadly it didn't work.

I hope it's nothing serious :|
Isgrimnur wrote:
His name makes me think of a small, burrowing rodent anyway.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

When did John Cusack go from A list movie star to bargain bin Nicolas Cage? :?
He won. Period.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Vorret wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:11 pm I blew my nose earlier - too hard - and now it feels like my left ear is always "popped". Been this way for over 3 hours and it hurts. I tried everything I know to fix it but sadly it didn't work.

Cool compress to that ear for 20-30 minutes, while laying on the opposite side. Ideally will decrease eustachian tube swelling so fluid can drain out and pressure decrease. Repeat several times today if necessary.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hepcat wrote:When did John Cusack go from A list movie star to bargain bin Nicolas Cage? :?
Somewhere between Must Love Dogs and War, Inc.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

Freyland wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:23 pm
Vorret wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:11 pm I blew my nose earlier - too hard - and now it feels like my left ear is always "popped". Been this way for over 3 hours and it hurts. I tried everything I know to fix it but sadly it didn't work.

Cool compress to that ear for 20-30 minutes, while laying on the opposite side. Ideally will decrease eustachian tube swelling so fluid can drain out and pressure decrease. Repeat several times today if necessary.
Thanks will try ASAP when I get home from work.
Hopefully it works it's one annoying feeling!!
Isgrimnur wrote:
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:38 pm
hepcat wrote:When did John Cusack go from A list movie star to bargain bin Nicolas Cage? :?
Somewhere between Must Love Dogs and War, Inc.
When did Nicolas Cage get elevated from Nicolas Cage back to whatever is above bargain bin Nicolas Cage?

/runs off to IMDB because Face Off was the last movie I saw in the Theatre with him in it.... And IMDB uses that movie as reference for him. funny...

... And nope. Nothing. Except I see

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7424200/?r ... flmg_act_7'

I won't be paying to see in the theatre but...
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:54 pm When did Nicolas Cage get elevated from Nicolas Cage back to whatever is above bargain bin Nicolas Cage?
March 23rd. I sent you a text, remember?
He won. Period.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

hepcat wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:03 pm
LordMortis wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:54 pm When did Nicolas Cage get elevated from Nicolas Cage back to whatever is above bargain bin Nicolas Cage?
March 23rd. I sent you a text, remember?
Must have been a group text. I don't get group text or emojis or pictures or video or any of that. Just straight number to number SMS
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:roll:

It was the day after the text I sent you about Ted Danson.
He won. Period.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

:oops: Nope. The last text I see from you is
OMW Bitches!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Sorry, that was intended for my mother.
He won. Period.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Did someone say mother?

Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

hepcat wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:13 pm When did John Cusack go from A list movie star to bargain bin Nicolas Cage? :?
Are we talking singularity? Because it's...not good. Like a terrible Terminator script crossed with twilight (teenage angst) and hunger games (iffy female protagonist).
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Teen Titans Go! On the other hand, I look forward to its post theatrical release.

Under rated show.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I'll be seeing Teen Titans Go with the kids. Happily.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Man, I knew there was a reason I shoulda' had kids.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Zarathud wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:33 am I'll be seeing Teen Titans Go with the kids. Happily.
GreenGoo wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:25 am Teen Titans Go! On the other hand, I look forward to its post theatrical release.
I have no words for you... 'people.'
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Purchase shark steak at local grocer on a lark.

Look up shark steak recipe online.

First paragraph mentions that sharks urinate through their skin.

Throw shark steak in trash.
He won. Period.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

hepcat wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:58 am Purchase shark steak at local grocer on a lark.

Similar thing happened to me. Ten pounds of chicken penises down the drain after learning about the urination thing.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Vorret wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:40 pm

Vorret, was it helpful?
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

wonderpug wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:13 am
hepcat wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:58 am Purchase shark steak at local grocer on a lark.

Similar thing happened to me. Ten pounds of chicken penises down the drain after learning about the urination thing.
:lol:
He won. Period.
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

Freyland wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:14 am
Vorret wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:40 pm

Vorret, was it helpful?
Sadly no, I called the health hotline and the nurse told me with my symptoms it could be an infection so I guess to the doctor I go :P
Isgrimnur wrote:
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

If I had something like that happen, I'd be chewing gum after taking a decongestant. Hoping to dry out the mucus membrane a little and give the chewing/swallowing motion a chance to allow the pressure to come back through.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Vorret, was it helpful?
He's dead. Now to divvy up his stuff.

Vorret, did you actually do the things Freyland suggested or did you just call the help line? It would be strange to sneeze and have all the symptoms of an infection suddenly appear immediately after.
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

GreenGoo wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:37 am
Vorret, was it helpful?
He's dead. Now to divvy up his stuff.

Vorret, did you actually do the things Freyland suggested or did you just call the help line? It would be strange to sneeze and have all the symptoms of an infection suddenly appear immediately after.
No I did.
I do have a cold so it could be all related I guess. Also I didn't sneeze I blew my nose too hard, my ear hurt like a bitch (like enough to prevent me from sleeping even with painkillers).
Isgrimnur wrote:
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:43 am
Zarathud wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:33 am I'll be seeing Teen Titans Go with the kids. Happily.
GreenGoo wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:25 am Teen Titans Go! On the other hand, I look forward to its post theatrical release.
I have no words for you... 'people.'
Agreed. I have friends that love TTG, but compared to the original Teen Titans? No thank you.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

The only good parts of Teen Titans is when they did Teen Titans Go! precursor material.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hentzau wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:49 am

Agreed. I have friends that love TTG, but compared to the original Teen Titans? No thank you.
Or Young Justice.

What's annoying is when people find out I actually collect Teen Titans (the original comics.) Since most of them are only aware of TTG, they look at me like I just grew an extra head. The comics have more in common with the X-Men than they do with... whatever TTG is. Hopefully the live-action Titans does well enough to show what the characters can do.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

You guys seem to be taking Teen Titans Go! seriously. It's a wonderfully absurd cartoon that happens to use the same characters from Teen Titans. I mean, at least one of them dies in like a quarter of the episodes. You can actually enjoy both of them for what they are.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:15 am You guys seem to be taking Teen Titans Go! seriously. It's a wonderfully absurd cartoon that happens to use the same characters from Teen Titans. I mean, at least one of them dies in like a quarter of the episodes. You can actually enjoy both of them for what they are.
Or just enjoy the absurd one for what it is and not care about the source material, which doesn't interest me, really. I can accept their derision but and I only have one response
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It isn't that I don't like absurd takes on serious things. Hell, I like Batman: The Brave and the Bold which lines up with every other element of TTG (it's DC, it's a comedic take on serious material, it's something I collect.) Even Batman 66 fits the criteria.

It's that I find it obnoxious and overpowering rather than funny. It's like someone doubled the syrup ratio in the Coke machine.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Not to hot?
Are you kidding?
More like not to not yet..........or ever!
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Songs on animated kids shows are some of the funniest and fun things on TV these days. The songs of teen titans Go! Are almost universally awesome. The voice acting incredible, in part because of how varied the demands put on the actors.

Try being a child of the 80's and watch all the "night begins to shine" episodes without seeing the genius in the writing and singing.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

It probably won't surprise anyone to know that I find the TTG! Source material terrible. So terrible in fact that it might as well have not existed prior to TTG!

The idea that someone would intentionally collect those comics is completely foreign to me.