Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Brian

Re: Random randomness

Post by Brian »

When I worked for IBM Global Services we tracked our time in 6 minute (10ths of an hour) increments.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

MHS are you better than before the transplant yet or will that be a few more weeks / months down the road? Better as in feeling better and less 'sick' You seem to be doing well. Glad you're both ok and the hubby survived your surgery. My wife's almost killed me I think...her doctor said I looked worse than her at the time haha.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:15 pm Yep no kids but I was a kid once and got spankings and turned out ok. So did most people. Now look at the world since they dropped so much. What do parents today do when a child refuses top listen or obey a parent? "Pwz honey be nice to mommy and daddy."? Seriously what does a parent do? Call the police? Ignore it and hope it gets better? If you have good kids great. But those with bad kids? Kids that do wrong? How will a child learn right and wrong if they are a stubborn ignorant willful child and not a normal caring understanding child?? Punishment is there for learning. Not saying beat a child to death. Children are smarter than other animals and will understand what a whipping is because of. If not then something is wrong with the child. Dont spank a good kid. Me though as a kid if I was told not to do something Id done before but thought it was nothing big Id do it again. Spanking stopped the next go :)
You do realize that there are other ways to discipline a child than by hitting them or calling the police, don't you?
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

When my kids were little, I limited their gaming (normally, not as a punishment) to two hours per day. They each had a small bowl. Each morning I'd put 24 small, colorful, fuzzy balls in each bowl. Each ball was five minutes of gaming time. If they did something particularly good, I'd give them an extra ball.

If they acted up, I'd take one away.

After a week, I could end any argument, misbehavior, or tantrum by simply saying, "minus five minutes." That's all it took, and I never had any problems whatsoever controlling my kids. None. I taught them early that misbehavior had consequences. The consequences didn't have to be fear and pain. By the time they were older, they listened to me because they knew that if I warned that there would be consequences, there really would be. All because of colorful, fuzzy balls from a hobby shop and a plan.

And Daehawk, things like this have come up before. You can't look at a global trend and try to pin it on one factor. There are thousands of things that have changed since you were a kid. Literally thousands. Why is that *one* thing the one responsible for today's problems? Not the anonymity of the internet teaching kids that people don't matter? Not the disappearance of neighborhoods as communities? Not the tendency of families to spread out across the nation instead of staying close to each other? Not the hostility that's grown between adults with differences? Not the slow move from whole foods to heavily processed, sugared foods? Not the anti-intellectualism that drives people away from reading? Not the loss of creative and imaginative play in favor of passive technological activities? Not the reduction of non-core classes in schools to counter budget reductions? Not the extreme urbanization of the country?

Not any of the thousands of other changes?

It was just that one?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
stessier

Post by stessier »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:15 pm Yep no kids but I was a kid once and got spankings and turned out ok. So did most people.
I would question the validity of that statement.
Now look at the world since they dropped so much.
I'm not sure what you're deficiency you are pointing at. The crime rate today is about the same as in the 1960s.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I got whipped once for rolling a bike tire down the side of mountain is West Virginia and my old man laid one of my sisters to the ground with a backhand no one ever saw coming when she called my mom a bitch. Neither beating was out of anger. I guess twice total on two of five kids isn't too bad. There were a lot of threats though. "Don't make me...." take off my belt, wash your mouth out with soap, etc... And there was plenty of red faced frustration that never led to beatings. Somewhere along the line there were expectations set and Stockholm Syndrome set in, I guess.
KDH

Post by KDH »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:34 am ... "Don't make me...." take off my belt,

My mother put me in a hospital for five days when I was around 6 or 7. While I won't say I deserved it, I never held her responsible for it .. just one of those things
Ain't nobody got time for that
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

As a Pediatrician, I'm a huge proponent of Positive Feedback in managing your kids. That said, I suspect "Good job today on not smearing your feces on the wall" really loses it's luster after the first few times.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Freyland wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:30 am As a Pediatrician, I'm a huge proponent of Positive Feedback in managing your kids. That said, I suspect "Good job today on not smearing your feces on the wall" really loses it's luster after the first few times.
As the father of an 8 year old that rarely poops and leaks poop into his underpants almost every night I am excited when I don't have to clean his ass in the morning and tell him as much.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:34 am I got whipped once for rolling a bike tire down the side of mountain is West Virginia and my old man laid one of my sisters to the ground with a backhand no one ever saw coming when she called my mom a bitch. Neither beating was out of anger. I guess twice total on two of five kids isn't too bad. There were a lot of threats though. "Don't make me...." take off my belt, wash your mouth out with soap, etc... And there was plenty of red faced frustration that never led to beatings. Somewhere along the line there were expectations set and Stockholm Syndrome set in, I guess.
My parents only used spankings when the transgression to be punished endangered life and limb. It only took a few of those to establish a credible deterrent. Once my dad sent me into the back yard to cut my own willow switch. That walk to the tree and back did more to make me contemplate my crime than the token whipping that followed.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:03 am
Freyland wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:30 am As a Pediatrician, I'm a huge proponent of Positive Feedback in managing your kids. That said, I suspect "Good job today on not smearing your feces on the wall" really loses it's luster after the first few times.
As the father of an 8 year old that rarely poops and leaks poop into his underpants almost every night I am excited when I don't have to clean his ass in the morning and tell him as much.
Have you tried beating the (literal) shit out of him? I hear it's the only way to prevent a life of crime.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Saw a beautiful 69 SS Camaro today....and I dont even care for that model.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:12 pm
Cannot load tweet. Disable your adblocker and tracking protection.
Bear in mind, this is what sensible folk see when you quote a twitter URL without the relevant text.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I did not know that. The text is no good with out attached script which is not text but rather a series of embedded pictures.
I forced a bot to watch over 1,000 hours of Olive Garden commercials and then asked it to write an Olive Garden commercial of its own. Here is the first page.
So I guess you aren't missing anything.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:03 am
Mrs. Skinypupy has had to give our potty training resistant 5-year-old two enemas a day for the last three days to try and break up his latest bowel impaction. At least now we know why he wasn't pooping...again. :(

I feel awful for both her and Wonder Twin 5.0, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't glad I'm working at an office and not stuck at home cleaning up that shit (literally).
Last edited by Skinypupy on Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

This sensible folk unblocked that one script a long time ago. Otherwise I'm going to be walking in an error wonderland.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Designed my own hood ornament on Fords site.

https://mymustang.ford.com/

Enlarge Image
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:52 pm This sensible folk unblocked that one script a long time ago. Otherwise I'm going to be walking in an error wonderland.
Meh. Better a few errors than Twitter's invasive tracking and ads, say I. But YMMV.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:29 pm I did not know that. The text is no good with out attached script which is not text but rather a series of embedded pictures.
I forced a bot to watch over 1,000 hours of Olive Garden commercials and then asked it to write an Olive Garden commercial of its own. Here is the first page.
"I shall eat Italian citizens" made me chuckle. And Gluten Classico sounds pretty good.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:35 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:52 pm This sensible folk unblocked that one script a long time ago. Otherwise I'm going to be walking in an error wonderland.
Meh. Better a few errors than Twitter's invasive tracking and ads, say I. But YMMV.
Again, any secrets I have I keep far from the internet. If I'm going to be doing something I don't want tracked, I'm using a private window with cookies off and a VPN. For the rest? That information has been tracked for so long that it's all already out here. They're welcome to it. And the advertisers? I haven't seen an ad on the internet in years.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Kraken wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:47 pm
LordMortis wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:29 pm I did not know that. The text is no good with out attached script which is not text but rather a series of embedded pictures.
"I shall eat Italian citizens" made me chuckle. And Gluten Classico sounds pretty good.
The whole think made me chuckle. Stupid bot writes better than I do.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

stessier wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:23 am Five hours until the weekend and I can start playing again!! It's Father's Day - that means I can hide in a room by myself for 40 of the next 48 hours, right?! :)

Not being a father, is father's day kind of a shaft? For all of these other days you honor and favor and spoil the subjects of holy daysness but for father's day, you basically impose additional obligations on said father for the weekend. Culturally if mom wants a day to herself on Mom's day, then everyone bans together to make it happen. If dad wants a day to himself, that's kinda verboten, isn't it? It's kind of the rule that father's day is a day which a father is supposed to act particularly fatherly.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Father's Day is more or less like any other day for me, except I get some cards and gifts. To be fair, Mother's Day in our house is more or less like any other day for my wife, except she gets some cards and gifts.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

This is going to be a really weird Father's Day for me. It's the first one without dad so I'll be a bit of a wreck...and it's also our 20th wedding anniversary.

Not sure I'm quite ready for that emotional roller coaster yet.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

We kinda skip all holidays except Thanksgiving and Christmas. Then its just a small gift or a special meal.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive discovered golf is more interesting that I thought.

Enlarge Image
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:48 pm
MHS wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:24 pm No wonder the doctors want me to have so many follow-up appointments. Just got my first Explanation of Benefits from one of them and for the 5 minutes they spend telling me the lab numbers (that I've already read because they get posted online right away) and adjusting my antirejection meds accordingly, each doctor bills $600. Not counting the labs! And the schedule for that was originally 3x a week, then 2x a week and now I'm down to once a week but ahead of schedule because I'm doing so well. Our medical system is so f'ed up.
I just paid $64 for a flexible five foot plastic tube with rubber ends.

the same tubing sans insurance and rubber ends, still medical grade?

https://www.amazon.com/Corrugated-Tubin ... astic+tube

And now that I'm on Amazon I'm even more angry

https://www.amazon.com/AG-Industries-CP ... m+Adapters

My CPAP is "covered" by monitored usage. I will be fined $1000's of dollars in lease agreement breaking if I don't follow their prescription. And I see my "covered" $64 expense is a retail of about $9.

I just went from annoyed at my expense today to HULK SMASH considering your post.
Follow up :x

Got a $129 mill for my replacement mask today. They bill the insurance agency $234 and then negotiate "my portion for durable medical" down to $129.

Same model on Amazon without insurance $89

Google goes as low $69

I'ma have a talk with my insurer and my doctor because the terms of this "coverage" is puppies.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Holy crap - I was just talking to my mom about this yesterday. She was told she needs to use her CPAP for 4 hours a day (minimum) for the next 90 days or else pay all kinds of penalties / fees. Well, after wearing it two nights, she can't sleep with it on so what's her solution? She wears it for 4 hours during the day while watching TV or sitting around the house. This is her plan for the next ~3 months until the lease agreement is up and she can return it.

Totally unrelated, I've recently learned you can't tell a 72 year old woman anything. Just...let 'em do what they want.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I used one for a couple of years (until the other surgery coincidentally opened up the air passages.) It took me at least a couple of weeks to get used to it, and several nights before I could sleep more than an hour at a time.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:52 pm Holy crap - I was just talking to my mom about this yesterday. She was told she needs to use her CPAP for 4 hours a day (minimum) for the next 90 days or else pay all kinds of penalties / fees. Well, after wearing it two nights, she can't sleep with it on so what's her solution? She wears it for 4 hours during the day while watching TV or sitting around the house. This is her plan for the next ~3 months until the lease agreement is up and she can return it.

Totally unrelated, I've recently learned you can't tell a 72 year old woman anything. Just...let 'em do what they want.

I didn't know that you've met my wife.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

There is a bilevel machine that eases the CPAP pressure when you exhale. That made the difference for me.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Enlarge Image
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:52 pm Holy crap - I was just talking to my mom about this yesterday. She was told she needs to use her CPAP for 4 hours a day (minimum) for the next 90 days or else pay all kinds of penalties / fees. Well, after wearing it two nights, she can't sleep with it on so what's her solution? She wears it for 4 hours during the day while watching TV or sitting around the house. This is her plan for the next ~3 months until the lease agreement is up and she can return it.

That is similar to mine but mine is either worse or she misunderstands. I am lease to own for 18 months. My coverage level was determined by how much I used the machine during the first 90 days. "Full coverage" (which means I pay $80 a month for 18 months) required 4 hours for more than 90% of days during the first 90 days. Also, they rape me for more than retail prices as my insured discount coverage if I change masks but they want me to continue changing masks until the seals are best and I get the best sleep and I'm quickly remembering why I stopped 20 years ago.
Zarathud wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:11 am There is a bilevel machine that eases the CPAP pressure when you exhale. That made the difference for me.
They gave me a spiel about how mine is supposed to adjust and that was all crap from the distributor as if they were trying to sell me what I had already agreed to My CPAP is not a BiPAP and it is not an AutoCPAP. That it is supposed to sense when I sleep and then ramp up etc... It was all lies.

I hate the system.

And wouldn't you know it. You make me look online. I'm locked in agreement for coverage paying $81 a month for 18 months for...

https://buyminicpap.com/products/airsen ... JQOPD_BwE

A machine I can order $880 retail

Or discounted for $700

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed ... gJ4LfD_BwE

Back on topic, the latest in unwanted Russian invasion and poisons in the US.

http://www.newsweek.com/giant-hogweed-w ... ate-980684
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:48 pmor she misunderstands.
I'm 100% sure this is the case. I believe she's scheduled to go back this week or next for a re-fit / adjustment. The mistake here is that they're doing this with the idea she's going to wear it. She's already told me she's not sleeping with it no matter what, so it's all just medical theater for her. I wish I had the time to not wear a CPAP and then go to a doctor to have it adjusted so I could not wear it some more.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Time and money.

All this shit really needs to go on a menu before you commit.

OK so here's where we are.

Your specialist costs $250 for each visit. You will see your specialist once a year or once between every other activity.
If you are a candidate for a CPAP you will take a home test. This home test will cost you $800 plus $300 in lab processing fees.
If you are still a candidate for CPAP you will to a sleep titration. You will be fit and monitored for an evening. This will cost approximately $3000.
Your CPAP will cost ???? (I still don't know. It's not listed in my EOB. Only my lease payment). In addition you should have $250 mask and headger that you replace every 90 days a $45 air tube you should replace every 90s a ??? water tray you should replace ever 90 days. $10 filters you should replace weekly and $80 cushions you should replace ever 30 days.
You must follow up after 90 days for a compliance check. You may at the point need to make changes every 30 days. see menu for costs.

We're estimating the first year will cost about $6500 plus the mystery cost of the CPAP lease.

Now go talk to your insurance and figure out if your health is worth your coverage and... do not look at the man behind the curtain.

Alternatively if you have no insurance, you could buy the equipment capable to self diagnose and treat for about $1000 out of pocket plus about another $100 every time you thought your hose and mask had too much wear and tear.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I knew it was bad; I didn't know it was that bad. This is why I opted for the weight loss route when I met with the sleep specialist. Nothing tastes as good as sleeping without a mask.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:43 pm I knew it was bad; I didn't know it was that bad. This is why I opted for the weight loss route when I met with the sleep specialist. Nothing tastes as good as sleeping without a mask.
The cost isn't that bad with insurance but insurance ties you to a treatment and once you commit, you commit.

I paid $20 for each visit to the specialist. (it is going up to $40 when I lose my Cadillac plan)
$1100 for the at home test was cut by 50% for coinsure and then maxed my deductible at $500
With my deductible maxed the $3000 sleep study was "free"
But now leasing the machine and they supplies aren't considered a copay but they also don't come out the maxed deductible they are a "Durable Medical supply" where payment maxes at something $1800 annually or whatever my maximum out of pocket in network but not including copays maximum is but I'm not sure how that applied the lease they forced me into.
And with a switch of insurance come July 1st, I can't get anyone at Aetna to give me a straight answer on how durable medical supplies work like was in listed with BCBSM, which i totally thought I understood until the world "lease" showed up for the first time in my medical life.

Realistically out of pocket I believed I was looking at about $100 in visits and $2300 in equipment the first year because that was the maximum it theoretically cost and it would make every other thing I did for the year subject to only copays, until the concept of medical leases happened, and then my workplace dropped the midyear change of insurance bomb on me and network drs and hospitals changed and the suppliers changed and cost structure changed and I had to learn what HRAs are and I still have yet to figure if my coninsure and which deductibles move over to the new network becuase I can't figure out Durable Medical Supplies work and HR is harping on me for not getting her all my EOB paperwork for transfer in time when I can clearly see that the medical supply company bills the insurer three months after the fact which is to suggest I won't see all of my EOB from BCBSM through June until at least the end of September and BTW how the fuck can you set a deadline for my all EOB paperwork to transfer to the new insurerer before June 22nd if the new coverage doesn't even kick in until July 1st?

They wonder why I hate doctors and medical insurance and why I'm generally of the attitude "Fuck it. Just try not to let me die in too much pain. I'm not a fan of pain." and yet I let them move me from one specialist to the next and give them a lot of money and time to do it and for as much as I give them, it's a small fraction of what they are billing.

Losing weight (which I need to do) won't solve my sleep problem. I've been doing this since I was 140 pund 6'2" teenager in great health. But it the weight plus the sleep does put more stress on my heart than it did a 140 pound 6'2" teenager in great health. I am going back toward the weight loss avenue as well but I know full well that weight loss and I have an obsessive relationship and if I do not obsess over calorie counts, it take about 6 months to gain all my weight back. I learned that from OO weight loss threads... I also fear that not smoking is going to make obsessing over calories more difficult. I'm sort of in the pre calorie count phase right now and come night I fail big time to follow through on a day of responsible portion eating nearly every night.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I dunno man. I've tried all kinds of things to lose weight, but this is the first time in my entire life I've been able to do it. I'm down 32lbs since February and it's not a diet as much as it was rethinking things. I'm dreaming again while sleeping, which I don't think I was doing for years. The sleep doctor said he'll look at me again in another 30lbs, but I don't think I'm in danger anymore. I feel better than I have in at least 5+ years, maybe longer. Life's too short to be miserable. :|
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

It all depends on insurance which is why our system is so fucked. My cpap was total about $120 because I have Kaiser and virtually everything was covered. They even cover a new mask for free every 6 months.