Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Paingod

Re: Random randomness

Post by Paingod »

The older I get the more I see people -my age- getting cancer and/or dying ... the more I wonder when my card will get punched. I know we all have finite lifespans and there comes a day or moment when the probability of death reaches 100%. It's just something that nags at me.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Happens to everyone. Just live now.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

SSA actuarial table

I have a 0.3% chance of dying this year.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Some 25 years ago I changed my beliefs to paganism and I started believing in re-incarnation. I've looked forward to death ever since then.
I don't preach it and I don't expect people to believing in it too but it works for me.
If you're leaning that way google it and all the things associated with it.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

What matters is you lead a good life. Good as in being a kind person and good as in enjoying it.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Uh oh. Suddenly I'm reading text with a Scottish accent in my head.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

We're gaining over a minute of daylight each day now. Nice.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Paingod wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:05 pm The older I get the more I see people -my age- getting cancer and/or dying ... the more I wonder when my card will get punched. I know we all have finite lifespans and there comes a day or moment when the probability of death reaches 100%. It's just something that nags at me.
One day OO will be down to one member and 1000 spambots.

And then...
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Holman wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:48 pm
Paingod wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:05 pm The older I get the more I see people -my age- getting cancer and/or dying ... the more I wonder when my card will get punched. I know we all have finite lifespans and there comes a day or moment when the probability of death reaches 100%. It's just something that nags at me.

And then...
Given the likely future of artificial intelligence, this might be the story of all humanity as well.
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

Holman wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:49 pm

And then...
Given the likely future of artificial intelligence, this might be the story of all humanity as well.
Well you just replied to yourself. Sounds like your ready to carry on if you're the last one around.
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Holman wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:48 pm One day OO will be down to one member and 1000 spambots.

And then...
dbt will get to reregister with a new number
Holman

Post by Holman »

Moat_Man wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:45 pm
Holman wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:49 pm

And then...
Well you just replied to yourself. Sounds like your ready to carry on if you're the last one around.
Hey everyone! I like what you're saying here and really agree! Have you thought about a new place to buy shoes?
Crazy Lady

Post by Crazy Lady »

hitbyambulance wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:56 pm
Crazy Lady wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:34 am
hitbyambulance wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:56 pm anyone know about what the osteosarcoma prognosis (lower mandible) in cats is, if bone amputation is performed early enough? asking for a friend.
In the 21+ years I've been a vet tech all the ones I have seen have had a poor prognosis. Usually amputation wasn't an option. I would recommend finding a veterinary oncologist to see what they recommend since medicine is always changing.
appreciate that, thank you
Just asked one of the doctors I work with and she said amputation with chemo gives a better prognosis. But an oncologist is still recommended
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Can they take that piece out and affix something in its place like metal or 3d printed so the jaw works? I seem to recall seeing that someplace.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:11 pm Can they take that piece out and affix something in its place like metal or 3d printed so the jaw works? I seem to recall seeing that someplace.
yeah, one would think that medical technology has come far enough to make this do-able. or even bone transplant..
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:16 pm We're gaining over a minute of daylight each day now. Nice.
We were out walking the cat today when I glanced at my watch and remarked that it was still light at 4 p.m. "Summer's a-settin' in," I told Wife.

It's an inside joke. Many years ago we were vacationing at a rented cottage in MI with my parents. It was mid August and everyone was either in the lake or on the dock. A small cloud passed before the sun momentarily, and a breeze stirred. "Welp," said my mom, "Winter's a-settin' in."
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

When I first moved up here in 1987 I was looking for employment and went to the state unemployment office which to my surprise was closed for MLKs birthday and Robert E Lees birthday.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Sometimes, mentally speaking, I think it would just be easier to give up and go insane. Check myself into some place and sit there and drool and let others take care of me rather than trying to live life. Some days just hit me and overwhelm me. Sigh.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Is there anything worse than when one of your vendor reps leaves a company and takes your email address with them to a new company and then starts sending you feelers for new business, as if cold call email spam are even a tiny bit effective.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:20 amIs there anything worse than when one of your vendor reps leaves a company and takes your email address with them to a new company and then starts sending you feelers for new business, as if cold call email spam are even a tiny bit effective.
I wouldn't rate having to ignore a cold-call as a horrible thing. I have a lot of unanswered emails and calls from sales reps. I may not even notice if one was reaching out to me from a new company.

I sometimes feel bad for ignoring them completely, but I could likely spend 4+ hours a week responding to them with "No Thanks" messages and chats... and when I stop and think about it, they're not really putting in a ton of effort to include me in their latest mass-mailing. I just hunt for those unsubscribe links.
Black Lives Matter

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

This is one of the greatest things I've seen in a long time (and that includes the Sea Shanty about vaccination)

(can't make a quote for people that can't see embedded Tweets; it's a song)
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

That reminds me that we've been getting random calls by a lady at an assisted living facility for over a year now. It's kind of sweet in a way, as at first it was to ask for some groceries items delivered to her, and this was before Covid started. At first we thought that was that, but she keeps calling our particular number (ours is an easy to remember number), and we've been kind of worrying about her since Covid started, and there's been a recent outbreak at her facility with several deaths, which makes me hope she's not one of them. We've been thinking about possibly doing something nice for her.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Butter is important to me needs to be a mantra.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:27 pm Butter is important to me needs to be a mantra.
It was the chorus - both visibly and verbally - that gave me the chills; it spoke to my soul.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:27 pm Butter is important to me needs to be a mantra.
That. Was. Amazing.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Boiling Cauliflower for some Cauliflower and cheese today...and tomorrow.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Butter song guy is the one who made this as well (which has probably been posted already, but...):

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

And just to be complete for the OCD among us:

(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Cliff Simon...Baal himself from Stargate...is going to be host of the tv show Into the Unknown AKA Uncharted Mysteries Paranormal, Adventure series on the Travel and History Channels.

Enlarge Image
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Some of these gift card/pre-paid credit card companies really are scum. My mother gave us a small pre-paid Visa as a gift a couple years ago. It says "funds never expire" on the packaging and back of the card. But they also deduct $3.00 in service fees per month after the first year. I think I realized this after receiving one in the past, but I forgot we had it. I went to the trouble of registering it, trying to use it, and calling support to figure out why it wasn't working. I knew it wasn't the call center employee's fault, but it's just so frustrating. It's not enough you were able to invest the money for two years? This is all allowed under Canadian federal law. I know some of what's permitted in the U.S. is likely much more exploitative.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Between Benson, Mr. Belvedere, and Fresh Prince of Bel Air, I really expected to know more families with a butler.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well you mentioned Benson but left out Soap.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

That one was a bit before my time, and I came to it late with the reruns.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Given the current state of the economy, now seems like an optimal time to be the family with a butler.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
raydude

Post by raydude »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:07 pm You Can Now Easily Download All CIA UFO Documents to Date

The Black Vault has released hundreds of public PDFs containing CIA information on UFOs
I guess my kids stumbled upon a mention of Area 51 somewhere because they kept asking me if I worked for Area 51 or if I knew anything about it. Wanting to be coy I said, "I can neither confirm nor deny that I've worked on Area 51 projects." That only increased their interest. Oldest daughter said "He does work for them! He knows something!"

I think I'll release this news to them to increase my mystique.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Sudy wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:55 pm Some of these gift card/pre-paid credit card companies really are scum. My mother gave us a small pre-paid Visa as a gift a couple years ago. It says "funds never expire" on the packaging and back of the card. But they also deduct $3.00 in service fees per month after the first year. I think I realized this after receiving one in the past, but I forgot we had it. I went to the trouble of registering it, trying to use it, and calling support to figure out why it wasn't working. I knew it wasn't the call center employee's fault, but it's just so frustrating. It's not enough you were able to invest the money for two years? This is all allowed under Canadian federal law. I know some of what's permitted in the U.S. is likely much more exploitative.
Actually, I'm pretty sure they outlawed that here. I'll get my Isgrimnur on it while I take a shower and get ready for work.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

raydude wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:26 am
I guess my kids stumbled upon a mention of Area 51 somewhere because they kept asking me if I worked for Area 51 or if I knew anything about it. Wanting to be coy I said, "I can neither confirm nor deny that I've worked on Area 51 projects." That only increased their interest. Oldest daughter said "He does work for them! He knows something!"

Just print a couple out and leave them lying around.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I feel like such a ponce, sitting in my warm office, waiting on AAA to come and change the flat tire on my car.

I just don't want to go roll around in the snow and salt out there to unbolt it from the bottom of the car and freeze my ass off while I jack it up and swap it. I think I'm getting old.
Black Lives Matter

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

raydude wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:26 am
Daehawk wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:07 pm You Can Now Easily Download All CIA UFO Documents to Date

The Black Vault has released hundreds of public PDFs containing CIA information on UFOs

Just wait until they tell someone and they tell someone and one day a foreign agent shows up with a tranq gun and kidnaps you.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

stessier wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:36 am
Sudy wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:55 pm Some of these gift card/pre-paid credit card companies really are scum. My mother gave us a small pre-paid Visa as a gift a couple years ago. It says "funds never expire" on the packaging and back of the card. But they also deduct $3.00 in service fees per month after the first year. I think I realized this after receiving one in the past, but I forgot we had it. I went to the trouble of registering it, trying to use it, and calling support to figure out why it wasn't working. I knew it wasn't the call center employee's fault, but it's just so frustrating. It's not enough you were able to invest the money for two years? This is all allowed under Canadian federal law. I know some of what's permitted in the U.S. is likely much more exploitative.
Actually, I'm pretty sure they outlawed that here. I'll get my Isgrimnur on it while I take a shower and get ready for work.
CFPB