Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Skinypupy

Re: Random randomness

Post by Skinypupy »

pr0ner wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:40 pm
ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:23 pm
pr0ner wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:16 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:15 pm The worst deli sandwich I've ever eaten is leaps and bounds above the best Subway sandwich I've ever consumed. I guess I'll be that guy and say, "buy local".
The only issue I have with this is that, at least in the area where I do most of my sandwich buying, it's easier to eat lower calorie/faux healthy sandwiches at Subway (or even Potbelly) than it is at the deli.
Potbelly is about one trillion times better than Subway.
I really should go to Potbelly more often.
They opened a Potbelly just around the corner from my house. Pretty sure my waistline is living up to their name, solely due to their sandwiches. So good.

I've tried Firehouse maybe half a dozen times. The sandwiches were merely ok, and they were soooo sloooow in getting them made. Tried multiple locations, and the slowness was always consistent.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

The only Subway I look forward to going to is one owned by a chinese dude who works there every day. He owns 3 but he works the line at one and he is the fastest, best Subway sandwich maker I've seen. I can actually tell you who made my sandwich by looking at it and eating it. And every kid he hires also does a great job, after a fair bit of on the job training.

Good guy, good sandwich. 3 franchises. You go, middle-aged Chinese dude.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

On general principle, I don't ever like being rude to people. Especially when I know they're just trying to make a living.

But I'm so damn tired of door to door salesmen. We get 2-3 every single night around here. Solar, pest control, roof repair, landscaping, charity donations...there's always some pushy dude knocking on my door for something. So sick of it.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well dont answer the door. Or put out a sign Ive seen here...No trespassing. Trespassers will be shot. No other warnings given.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

No soliciting is the non-backwoods version of the sign.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Maybe it's a NJ thing, but I'm pretty sure most towns have a no solicitation and/or no peddling rule. The only people that ever show up are the Jehovah's Witnesses' and now that there's no chance of it being Prince, I'll never answer the door.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

If today were 18 months from now, I’d be moving to Indianapolis.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

GreenGoo wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:56 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:15 pm The worst deli sandwich I've ever eaten is leaps and bounds above the best Subway sandwich I've ever consumed. I guess I'll be that guy and say, "buy local".
That's not even a question.

Hey Max, have you tried Frank's near the corner of Greenbank and Huntclub? It's fast, the sandwiches are large and the variety of toppings is pretty extreme. Price-wise it also makes a liar out of me and my previous post.
I haven't been there, but I'll give them a shot if I find myself out in that area. Their online menu looks interesting.

For my money, the best place for sandwiches in Ottawa has always been Di Rienzo's (Beech at Champagne, just off Preston).
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Supposedly Publix has a great deli.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:43 pm
The only issue I have with this is that, at least in the area where I do most of my sandwich buying, it's easier to eat lower calorie/faux healthy sandwiches at Subway (or even Potbelly) than it is at the deli.
Plus, there's no yellow mustard to put on their subs.

(And we've come full circle.)
Lunch Thursday is going to be A Wreck on wheat with mustard, lettuce, onions, and seasoning thanks to this thread.
Hodor.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:57 pm
They opened a Potbelly just around the corner from my house. Pretty sure my waistline is living up to their name, solely due to their sandwiches. So good.

I've tried Firehouse maybe half a dozen times. The sandwiches were merely ok, and they were soooo sloooow in getting them made. Tried multiple locations, and the slowness was always consistent.
I think Firehouse is so slow due to whatever their steaming process for heating the sandwiches is. It isn't efficient.
Hodor.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Max Peck wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:10 pm
GreenGoo wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:56 pm That's not even a question.

Hey Max, have you tried Frank's near the corner of Greenbank and Huntclub? It's fast, the sandwiches are large and the variety of toppings is pretty extreme. Price-wise it also makes a liar out of me and my previous post.
I haven't been there, but I'll give them a shot if I find myself out in that area. Their online menu looks interesting.

For my money, the best place for sandwiches in Ottawa has always been Di Rienzo's (Beech at Champagne, just off Preston).
I realize Frank's is in the west end, but it's also in the middle of no where in the west end. It's like deciding to put your business where there is the least traffic imaginable.

I once lived on Spruce street. I have memories of walking in the summer sun to pick up a couple of mammoth sandwiches and a bottle of orangina at Di Rienzo's. Those buns were fantastic (which are my least favourite part of any sandwich) Good times.

(p.s. I live in the west end after decades downtown. Which was after decades in the westend).
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:56 pm Maybe it's a NJ thing, but I'm pretty sure most towns have a no solicitation and/or no peddling rule. The only people that ever show up are the Jehovah's Witnesses' and now that there's no chance of it being Prince, I'll never answer the door.
I was just thinking the other day about how door-to-door sales aren't a thing anymore. Actually, I was thinking about the Fuller Brush man and the Avon lady. We do get the Witnesses every spring.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

now that we know that most door to door sales were part of a pyramid scheme, they are less acceptable. They live on in tupperware parties and "kitchen whatever" parties though.
Isgrimnur

Random randomness

Post by Isgrimnur »

Exterminators seem to have adopted the model in my neck of the woods.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:59 am Exterminators seem to have adopted the model in my neck of the woods.
That's because they were there last year sprinkling termite queens around the neighborhood. Now they're doing a follow up to help fix that.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Paingod wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:06 am
Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:59 am Exterminators seem to have adopted the model in my neck of the woods.
That's because they were there last year sprinkling termite queens around the neighborhood. Now they're doing a follow up to help fix that.
Seeing as one launched into a high-pressure tactic of telling me that them treating my neighbors would push all the bugs onto my property, I wouldn't doubt it.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

That's a pretty good racket.

"Sir, I just wanted to let you know that we're pushing bugs down the street, from neighbor to neighbor, and you're next. Would you like to pay us now, or later when it's worse?"
Black Lives Matter

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It's true for cockroaches! Well, at least in apartment buildings. I'm not aware of them fleeing a single family home and then running into a neightbor's property, but if the houses were close enough....

Also, I've seen things that would turn you white. I believe this July marks the 21st anniversary of my first and only TV interview over a cockroach infestation. Time Diptera!
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

How about field mice? We had a pretty major reconstruction of our local mall about a year ago, and local hotels (up to about 1.5 miles away) were reporting lots more rodent activity attributed to the vermin being rooted out of their old haunts.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

A random Youtube video got me surfing the world of b-stock liquidations and customer-return pallet picking. :-P For a moment, I almost got excited enough to buy a guide, then I realized WTF was I thinking. The only ones REALLY making money off this are the middlemen.

TL;DR: most companies don't mess with verifying returns. They toss them all in a pile, and periodically put them into pallets and dispose of them to liquidators. Liquidators then sell them to other liquidators, and they eventually end up being bought and sorted by some entrepreneurs and end up back on eBay or even Amazon.

If you can get a couple pallets of the stuff, and you have a warehouse, and the time to sort it and relist them on eBay, it can almost be a worthwhile investment to do it full-time, but you'll have a ton of garbage to dump periodically (typically 30% of items are broken or unsellable) and a lot of the stuff are just crap (that's why they are returned), and others are just too esoteric. And if you buy "processed loads" (i.e. someone already sorted through the stuff into categories) it's likely they already took the valuable items and left you the crappy stuff. On the other hand, unprocessed loads are worth more, obviously.

After looking at some of the prices for pallets, it's basically the wild wild west. A pallet can be as low as, say, $100 to 200 (the guy in the video bought 7 pallets and shipping across the country for 950) and he thinks he'll more than triple his money after sorting and listing the profitable items on eBay. On the other hand, some sites are listing the pallets for THOUSANDS, and supposedly "unprocessed" Walmart pallets can go for over 10000!!!!. It just seems so... tedious. You can buy a lot of 30-40 used laptops for like, 2000-4000, but who knows their condition after you got them. I guess you can clean them and resell them for $100 each... Maybe you'll get a gem worth $1000 purely by luck... and so on.

I guess if you like picking through stuff for the thrill of discovery it can be interesting.
Last edited by Kasey Chang on Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Meal wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:14 am How about field mice? We had a pretty major reconstruction of our local mall about a year ago, and local hotels (up to about 1.5 miles away) were reporting lots more rodent activity attributed to the vermin being rooted out of their old haunts.
Little Bunny Foo Foo was unavailable for comment.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

At the food store they asked me if Id like to donate to disabled vets. I want to but I just cant. Im disabled along with my wife. Sometimes we have to depend on free food to get by the end of a month. But I still feel sad and ashamed when I have to say no I cant. Its always something..disabled vets, children, homeless. I just cant help but I still feel bad for it.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

If it makes you feel better, it's all a marketing ploy. Company takes customer dollars and uses it to write a check and get the good will for collecting funds.

Customers who can afford to give are able to pay more. So it's a gauge of customer pocketbooks, too.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I once had a company owner offer to take collections to a shelter for Christmas. Anything the employees put together, he'd round up to $250 and put up as from his company. It took a few seconds of thought to grasp that he was going to donate $250 one way or another, and any contribution from employees just went into his pocket. I didn't, and I didn't feel bad about it.
Last edited by Paingod on Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Never considered them taking the credit. Then again it goes to a good cause. I have so many plans for a 500 million lotto win lol. Homeless help, no kill animal help, lots. It'll never happen.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:14 am Never considered them taking the credit. Then again it goes to a good cause. I have so many plans for a 500 million lotto win lol. Homeless help, no kill animal help, lots. It'll never happen.
Hopefully because you don't play.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I think someone on OO called it.... Film based on Thai cave rescue in works
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

When In first read Spiderman it was in 1962. Probably the first issue(or part of an issue). He was a teenager a few years older than me. Somehow I passed him up and am now 50 years older than him.
I really would like to know his secret on aging.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

dbt1949 wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:15 pm When In first read Spiderman it was in 1962. Probably the first issue(or part of an issue). He was a teenager a few years older than me. Somehow I passed him up and am now 50 years older than him.
Being fictional helps. Try that.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

One of the differences between being bitten by a radioactive spider and kicked by a surly goat.
Black Lives Matter

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:18 pm
dbt1949 wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:15 pm When In first read Spiderman it was in 1962. Probably the first issue(or part of an issue). He was a teenager a few years older than me. Somehow I passed him up and am now 50 years older than him.
Being fictional helps. Try that.
I lol'd. :clap:
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

But I AM fictional!
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Broccoli is the worst.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:42 pm Broccoli is the worst.
#FAKENEWS
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

I was just asked to attend a diversity meeting at work. “You want a middle aged white male at your diversity meeting?”
“Diversity Meeting Agenda” wrote:
  • Be literally anything other than Fret
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Still sounds better than the two hour meeting I had this morning.
Person running the meeting wrote:Diarrhea in the pool is not fun for anyone
Yes there were slides.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Don't kink shame.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Wait for it....

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Fretmute wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:53 pm I was just asked to attend a diversity meeting at work. “You want a middle aged white male at your diversity meeting?”
“Diversity Meeting Agenda” wrote:
  • Be literally anything other than Fret
:work hat on:

As someone who spends about half his time either selling or facilitating diversity training, abso-freaking-lutely!

Middle aged white males (especially those in supervisory positions) are the group we want to engage the most in the diversity and inclusion discussion. Rather than keeping the focus solely on race and gender, shift the conversation to how diversity of thought, background, and experience can help the organization accomplish mission.

(assuming your meeting was actually a diversity discussion, and not mandated EEO training)

:work hat off: