Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Re: Random randomness

Post by Daehawk »

No chili?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

You know you're getting olde when you wear your house shoes to the store.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
stessier

Post by stessier »

You know you're olde when you have house shoes.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

You know you're old when you spell old with an "e". :wink:
-mf
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Does not knowing what "house shoes" are make you young? Woohoo, I'm young!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:41 am Does not knowing what "house shoes" are make you young? Woohoo, I'm young!
I'm younger than you are and I know what house shoes are.
Hodor.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Welp Im getting ready to head out on that small trip. Will be huge now without her I think. Maybe it will be ok...maybe not. It hit me while getting ready that today is the first day of Spring later today. That means last Winter 2018-2019 was the last Winter or last any season I got to spend with my wife ever. :(....Time marches on. Sometimes I catch myself wishing Donna could enjoy the warmth or the sunshine or stuff. Then realize she has a much much better Heaven than any person on Earth has a life.

So Im off and going to believe she is with me in that seat beside me looking out for me and wishing me well. Not the same to me but hope it helps. Be well all and see ya later.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

dbt1949 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:10 am You know you're getting olde when you wear your house shoes to the store.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

USA Today
Texas homeowners thought there were a few snakes under their home, but a snake removal company soon recorded video of their hours-long work to remove 45 rattlesnakes from under the house.

The video was shot near Abilene, Texas, on March 13, Nathan Hawkins — owner of Big Country Snake Removal — told USA TODAY in a series of Facebook messages on Tuesday.

The company posted the nearly 18-minute long video to Facebook on Sunday, and it has been viewed more than 300,000 times there. It shows Hawkins and a partner working to remove snake after snake from a cramped space under the home.
While the video has gained media attention, Hawkins said in a written message that the company regularly deals with similar situations: "This is nothing. We do this all the time."

The largest snake removed from the premises was 5 1/2 feet long, according to Hawkins.
Abilene is ~40 miles east of Sweetwater, home of the Rattlesnake round-up, which would have been two weeks ago.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

In Abilene? That's quite a paradox!

(enjoy your google searching)
Maybe next year, maybe no go
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

We just had a large legal department town hall meeting covering the business unit I support. There were 250+ lawyers and lots of support staff. The call was done via a combination of Telepresence and old school teleconference. As we started, there was a noise in the background. Someone said, "Someone must be pouring a glass of water." Seconds later, we all heard the flush.

It took a good five minutes before people were settled down enough to actually conduct the meeting. (Literal) toilet humor is still quite entertaining.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

That reminds me of when we held a board meeting over the phone. The board president had his dog with him, and after a while it was pretty clear he had dozed off. We came to a vote on a resolution and the vice president said, "All in favor say aye." At that the dog barked, so without missing a beat he said, "I'll take that as a yes."
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Went to the VA today. Wore my house shoes.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

my dad has been obsessed with 'house shoes' for a long while. he keeps buying new pairs of these sub-$30 sneakers, then buying $15 insoles to put in them. of course they can't be worn outside of the house, so he unties and takes off the indoor footwear and puts on and laces up the outdoor footwear, then when he comes back inside, reverses the process. this can happen multiple times a day.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

I still snicker every time I see people wearing shoes indoors in American tv shows. So weird.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Home of the Akimbo AWPs
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

tjg_marantz wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:29 pm I still snicker every time I see people wearing shoes indoors in American tv shows. So weird.
he refuses to not wear shoes indoors. he has some sort of phobia about his arches collapsing...
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

hitbyambulance wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:36 pm
tjg_marantz wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:29 pm I still snicker every time I see people wearing shoes indoors in American tv shows. So weird.
he refuses to not wear shoes indoors. he has some sort of phobia about his arches collapsing...
I have a mild form of muscular dystrophy so it's not easy getting in and out of my shoes and my feet are diabetic like (low to no feeling) so barefoot is generally a no go for me.

In other words, to each their own. :)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

My wife bought me a new pair every Christmas or January when they went on sale. Whichever we could afford. The pair she bought me in Jan 2018 are still holding up sorta ok. I think they are Sharper Image. Of course she couldn't this year so Im wearing my old worn out ones as long as I can. Thank you for everything in my life honey.

Made my trip pretty ok. Went to 9 places in total. Only one of those is one we never went together.. Of the others 4 were places we went a lot together and one of those is her favorite Walmart....actually the only one she liked. It was all ok until I headed home. I was actually looking forward to going home but as soon as I left the other town and headed home it hit me that she wouldn't be home waiting on me...ever again. Upset me pretty good. Then hit me again Im all alone at home..or life. No one like Donna I can talk to like I did her. Ever.

But Im hone and ok for now. Trying to keep that going. So was more dread and fear than what turned out to be.
Last edited by Daehawk on Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Holman

Post by Holman »

hitbyambulance wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:10 pm my dad has been obsessed with 'house shoes' for a long while. he keeps buying new pairs of these sub-$30 sneakers, then buying $15 insoles to put in them. of course they can't be worn outside of the house, so he unties and takes off the indoor footwear and puts on and laces up the outdoor footwear, then when he comes back inside, reverses the process. this can happen multiple times a day.
That's what slippers are for.

Some olds even call them "house slippers."
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I'm told there are no "shoes" anymore, only "footwear." Millennials are supposedly to blame.

My favorite pair of footwears are some fleece-lined suede slippers with hard soles. Wife bought them from LL Bean a few years ago and they're still holding up fine, if a little disreputable-looking. Too warm to wear in the summer, but they're my go-to the other three seasons. I wear them around the house and on brief forays outside.

You know what de-stinkifies unwashable footwears? Dryer sheets. Cheap and effective.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Millennials are supposedly to blame.
For everything of course :)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I had no idea. I still wear mine around the house unless I know I'm not going anywhere for the rest of the evening.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I have dogs. I'm wearing my shoes indoors.

I just bought a pair of these for indoor/outdoor wear around the house.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Just a heads up.....remember Payless closes all stores in May. I went to the one my wife got me my current shoes at in 2009 or 2010. Im still wearing them. I was hoping to find a pair like them as backup. No go. But a truck was due to deliver a bunch of stuff tomorrow. That store states on the door they get a new delivery each week still. I mean 10 year old shoes still going? Bless my wife. And the shoes are 30% - 50% off right now. So a $25 pair is like $12. I think my wife paid $34 at the time.

These are like mine....

Men's Slip Resistant Comfort Oxfords

Enlarge Image
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Am I weird for just finding out that Asian race includes India and Pakistani people?
He/Him/His/Porcupine
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I always think of them as the Indian sub continent. But I guess if you get right down to it Israel is in Asia.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

stimpy wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:46 pm Am I weird for just finding out that Asian race includes India and Pakistani people?
Kind of, but I am not sure it matters, and I am not sure "race" is the right term. They are countries on the Asian continent. Would it surprise you more to learn that most of Russia is in Asia, but most Russians live in Europe.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Speaking of shoes... I just found out I blamed my shoes needlessly when it was the insoles that were causing my discomfort.

I bought a pair of NB work shoes a couple months back. I bought a pair of NB's before at my local flagship store. They had to special order my XXW (6E) and it's expensive as heck (with tax it's almost 200) but it's definitely the most comfy pair I own. So I went online and order a different model, same size. less than 100, still NB. Put insoles in it. WTH? My left little toe rubs against the outside, and the whole heel felt wrong. So I kinda stopped wearing them.

Then one day, I was like... WHY did I put insoles in those anyway? So I took them out, and wore the pair to work. Difference is like night and day. Heel is now planted and solid. With some lace adjustments (I wanted to put those flex laces there when I have time) and it'd be perfect.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

XXW?? Have you thought about removing your dew claw? :)
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:03 pm XXW?? Have you thought about removing your dew claw? :)

My feet are gnarled like they've geisha binding because EEE was wide as you could ever find, and while feet always quickly bust out through binding to the midsole, they still grew to be crushed by shoe after shoe after shoe. What's weird is the I'm only a size 10 but who knows how wide my feet would have been if not for being constricted my entire life. *shrug*
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:37 pm
Daehawk wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:03 pm XXW?? Have you thought about removing your dew claw? :)
My feet are gnarled like they've geisha binding because EEE was wide as you could ever find, and while feet always quickly bust out through binding to the midsole, they still grew to be crushed by shoe after shoe after shoe. What's weird is the I'm only a size 10 but who knows how wide my feet would have been if not for being constricted my entire life. *shrug*
10.5 EEEEE for my feet. I order shoes through Hitchcock, as they cater to the wide-footed. Throughout my childhood, my parents knew I had wide feet but kept accusing me of deliberately ruining shoe after shoe after shoe by blowing the sides out.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I wear 10W. I tried a normal 10 on yesterday and eech that was tight.

Got a summons to jury duty today. My first thought was OMG how am I going to get out of this. My wife and her mom got me out of it back mid 1990s. Now Im alone. It says 4 months at $11 a day. UGH.

Then I noticed its for my deceased wife. Dumbasses. So now I have to mark the paper and mail it back into them. I called to be sure. My wife handled ALL this too. I have no envelopes and no stamps. My wife always had about 3 stamps all the time. Me..nope. So I have to go to town and buy envelopes and a stamp then mail it. Im sending a copy of her death certificate along with it.

At least the old envelope box is here and I know they are Dollar General brand.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Don't buy a stamp. Buy a sheet of stamps. Then you'll have one next time you need it, too.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:58 pm Don't buy a stamp. Buy a sheet of stamps. Then you'll have one next time you need it, too.
Also, to save yourself some hassle, make sure you get USPS Forever stamps (that way, you won't have any issues if/when postage prices inevitably increase).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:58 pm Don't buy a stamp. Buy a sheet of stamps. Then you'll have one next time you need it, too.
Hardly ever need one. Ill buy 5 which will probably be 4 too many. But just in case. As I said my wife always had about 3 on her at all times. its something Ive not even thought about until now. Just another sweet memory that saddens me.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Wrong lever!
A 64-year old civilian passenger was accidentally ejected from a French Air Force twin-seat Rafale B fighter jet as the aircraft was taking off from Saint-Dizier 113 air base on Mar. 20, 2019.

The backseater, whose identity was not disclosed, is said to be a man. He suffered serious injuries, including back injuries and was hospitalized. He’s reportedly in stable conditions and his health is not a cause of concern according to a French Air Force spokesman.

The incident occurred at 13.52 LT as the aircraft was taking off for a training mission. The pilot managed to land the aircraft with minor injuries to his hands (caused by the broken canopy).

What happened is pretty weird: VIPs and journalists (including this Author) are often invited to take part in “orientation” flights, for communication or information purposes. The passenger-for-a-day is always given a detailed briefing that covers standard cockpit operation, emergency procedures, egress etc. You are clearly explained what to touch and what you should not touch in the cockpit. The ejection seat handle is one of those things you should be aware of. For this reason, in a previous post about flying as a backseater in a jet I wrote:
As for the camera, I strongly recommend removing any type of strap to prevent it from coming into contact with the stick, throttle or, worse, with the ejection seat handle.
Anyway, we have no clue what activated the ejection: it might have been a voluntary ejection, an involuntary one or even a failure, even though modern ejection seats are extremely reliable and malfunctions are extremely rare.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Papa Shaq
Could Shaq make Papa John’s a slam dunk again?

Shaquille O’Neal announced Friday that he will be the company’s first African-American board member. The fifth-highest-scoring player in NBA history also was recruited as the official face — or “ambassador” — of the struggling pizza giant.
The former Los Angeles Laker and Boston Celtic will have to put his experience as a Krispy Kreme Doughnuts and Five Guys Burgers franchise owner into action to clean up some ugly optics, though.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Just got me a handicap tag for my car. Didn't know if the VA doctor would go for it but he did. I actually really need it now.
I think 33% of the drivers on the road must have one.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

dbt1949 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:01 pm Just got me a handicap tag for my car. Didn't know if the VA doctor would go for it but he did. I actually really need it now.
I think 33% of the drivers on the road must have one.
We had a handicapped license plate for years on the Trans-Am but my wife hated it. She needed it but hated to admit it. Plus we both thought it strange looking on a sports car. Shrug. We got a normal tag sometime around 2004 and she got a permanent placard for the mirror. I now am forced to get my own. I have to have my primary care doc sign off on it for me. But I dont have a primary care now. Messy world.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

We had a guy here for awhile that had a handicap sticker for a tricked out Stingray. Looked like he was in his mid thirties and walked fine.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949