Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hepcat

Re: Random randomness

Post by hepcat »

I'm torn. When I win the 970 million dollar mega millions lottery tonight, should I:

1) Try to blow it all in one place?
2) Save it all and continue working until I die?
3) Give it all to Siljanus for "services rendered"?
4) Pay JeffV to like something?
5) Buy 940 million dollars worth of stuff from Kraken's website?
6) Get cable?
7) Pay Mr. Fed to come back to OO?
8) Set up a college fund for all OO members' children, but only if they pursue careers in animal husbandry?
9) Finally get that sofa and love chair combo I've been eyeing?
10) Give it to charity. And by charity, I mean booze.
He won. Period.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

hepcat wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:28 am
I love Fed and all, but I'd hate for this site to be overrun by a certain segment of his "admirers".
That's my purse! I don't know you!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Furries?
He won. Period.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Buy 97000000000 penny gumballs from machines across the country. Make it a road trip. Its made extra difficult due to the lack of penny gumball machines these days.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

hepcat wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:28 am I'm torn. When I win the 970 million dollar mega millions lottery tonight, should I:
6) Get cable?
Get HBOMax
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:lol: I freakin' love Gilbert Gottfried.
He won. Period.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I would buy a pizza with all the toppings, only I hear it wouldn't cook evenly....

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

hepcat wrote:Furries?
Furries I can deal with. Stark raving libertarians are another story.

11) Retain certain OO members to assist in building your shrine to Gaming and the Golden Girls. And getting it tax-exempt status.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

12) Hair care products
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

With $970 million, you can buy the company.
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I got my hair cut short recently, so I'm not using many hair care products. I have 2 tins of American Crew Fiber sitting unused in my bathroom cabinet. But I'm sure I'll get back to them soon enough. Meanwhile, my bald spot continues to fight me for space on the top of my head.
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hepcat wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:11 pm I got my hair cut short recently, so I'm not using many hair care products. I have 2 tins of American Crew Fiber sitting unused in my bathroom cabinet. But I'm sure I'll get back to them soon enough. Meanwhile, my bald spot continues to fight me for space on the top of my head.
Buy controlling stock in Hair Club for Men?
stessier

Post by stessier »

Why does a grocery store allow returns in excess of $85k to even be possible?
WYFF4 wrote:DULUTH, Ga. (CNN) —
A Georgia man was arrested and charged with scamming almost $1 million from a grocery store and using it to buy clothes, guns and cars, police said.

Tre Brown, 19, was arrested Jan. 14 after he allegedly created false returns at the Kroger store where he worked in Duluth, Georgia, according to a news release from Gwinnett County Police. He was charged with felony theft and released on bond the same day, according to online jail records.

Brown is accused of creating more than 40 returns ranging from $75 to over $87,000 for nonexistent items and putting refunds on several credit cards, according to the police. Detectives allege he stole more than $980,000 over two weeks before corporate employees from the grocery store chain noticed the fraudulent transactions and contacted the police, the news release said.

Brown purchased two vehicles with the money, but totaled one of them before his arrest, the police statement said.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Blindness to black swan insider threats.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Lol... he embezzled a million dollars over two weeks, didn't think it would be noticed, and kept showing up for work?

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

When you have nothing but contempt for your employers and are convinced of your own brilliance, how would anyone ever catch on?
stessier

Post by stessier »

Sudy wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:23 pm Lol... he embezzled a million dollars over two weeks, didn't think it would be noticed, and kept showing up for work?
A guy with an ankle monitoring bracelet showed up at the Incitement Rally and went inside the Capitol. People have different levels of risk tolerance.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I cannot for the life of me convince my wife that prevagen is a scam. She sees the commercials and then takes it and thinks it's working. Both her nurse and I have noticed a decline in her memory. Wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't so damn expensive.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
stessier

Post by stessier »

Zarathud wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:04 pm
hepcat wrote:Furries?
Furries I can deal with. Stark raving libertarians are another story.

11) Retain certain OO members to assist in building your shrine to Gaming and the Golden Girls. And getting it tax-exempt status.
Speaking of retaining - serious question about something with no serious chance of happening:

They always say the first thing to do is get a lawyer to help you figure out the best way to claim the prize. How does one identify that lawyer? I have had no need of legal services outside of buying my house, so I have no personal contacts. I've thought about this during the long, cold nights and the best I could come up with was to contact some of the OO lawyers and ask for recommendations. Is there a better way?

The woman in my town who won the $1.5 billion jackpot a bit ago seemed to do it right (claim anonymously, have a PR Team and Lawyer Team in place when she claimed it), only to have her lawyer embezzle millions (>$10million as I recall).
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Zarathud will offer his services as long as you don't look over his shoulder.
He won. Period.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Also an accountant. Theres another person to hire but I cant remember. I read up on it once. If they didn't offer the ability to get it anonymously Im not sure what to do. So many hangers on would come begging out of the woodwork.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:31 pm Also an accountant. Theres another person to hire but I cant remember. I read up on it once. If they didn't offer the ability to get it anonymously Im not sure what to do. So many hangers on would come begging out of the woodwork.
I think you have an option of creating an LLC and claiming the winnings under the company name. Some states will let you create an anonymous LLC, but even if they don't, it's harder for some deadbeat relative to figure out that it's you who won.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I know Illinois and quite a few other states allows lottery winners to remain anonymous. However, my suddenly dressing like Huggy Bear from Starsky and Hutch and taking up smoking so I can light my cigars with hundred dollar bills might actually tip people off.
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

gilraen wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:39 pm Some states will let you create an anonymous LLC
Miami Herald
A new federal law is putting an end to anonymous shell companies used to launder dirty money through high-priced real estate, automobiles and works of fine art.

Until this year, Limited Liability Corporations — known as LLCs — were often used to purchase real estate and enable buyers to block their identity from the view of the public and law enforcement.

The new law will require domestic and foreign LLCs doing business in the U.S. to disclose “who is the real, natural person (aka beneficial owner) who owns and controls an entity at the point of formation,” as well as update the information if the company changes ownership. The information will be stored in a federal database accessible to banks and law enforcement agencies but not available to the general public.

Violators of the law can face penalties and jail time.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

stessier wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:57 pm Speaking of retaining - serious question about something with no serious chance of happening:

They always say the first thing to do is get a lawyer to help you figure out the best way to claim the prize. How does one identify that lawyer? I have had no need of legal services outside of buying my house, so I have no personal contacts. I've thought about this during the long, cold nights and the best I could come up with was to contact some of the OO lawyers and ask for recommendations. Is there a better way?

The woman in my town who won the $1.5 billion jackpot a bit ago seemed to do it right (claim anonymously, have a PR Team and Lawyer Team in place when she claimed it), only to have her lawyer embezzle millions (>$10million as I recall).
It doesn't strike me as all that difficult if one were to hit it big courtesy of lottery winnings:

Rule #1: Mr. Fed's favourite: STFU. Do not tell anyone. Do not tell your boss, your loud-mouthed siblings, or even your kids. You tell one person, and one person only: your spouse. And you then make sure they follow the exact same protocol: STFU. That becomes your new mantra for the next six months.

Rule #2: call up the largest, most white-collar law firm in the country (just search for "highest paid law firm") and tell them you want a lawyer to help with taxes and trusts. When they ask why, tell them "I’ve recently come into some money and I’d like someone to coordinate my affairs." When they charge you $500 or $600/hour or more, pay it. Gladly. That lawyer is now your conduit with the outside world. Who contacts the lottery to tell them about the winning ticket? Not you (see Rule #1). Your lawyer handles that. Who do they make the check out to? Is it to you? Hell, no. Your lawyer will set up an anonymous trust for you.

Rule #3: go to napfa.org to find a fee-only financial advisor who can guide you through the process of setting up your new financial systems going forward. Most importantly, steer clear of the sweet-talking salespeople-type of financial advisors that will insist upon compensation via a percentage of your assets. When you find a competent fee-only financial advisor, they become your new best friend.

Rule #4: do not change anything for at least six months. No new car, no extravagant trips, don’t quit your day job. Your lawyer and financial advisor will help you get everything squared away financially. If you really need to quit your job, when people ask what you’re doing now, your line becomes, "I’m doing some consulting."

Rule #5: After six months? Don’t spend it all in one place like a chuffwit, and follow the guidance of the lawyer and financial advisor going forward.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Tom Brokaw retiring from NBC News after 55 years with the network

Tom Brokaw retires at age 80. I thought he retired many years ago but that was just semi retirement.

Enlarge Image
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Still dont know why sometimes a website will say "We dont recognize your browser" and send me a code in my email. Its the same damn browser and PC Ive had for many many years.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:41 pm Still dont know why sometimes a website will say "We dont recognize your browser" and send me a code in my email. Its the same damn browser and PC Ive had for many many years.
Cookies, much like cookies, eventually expire.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Call this a tragic circle of life....and death.

A few years ago a RI mom lost her son who was murdered outside his apartment by someone he knew during a argument. He was an organ donor. A 60 year old man received his liver from the guy. Him and his wife thanked the mom and they kept in touch over the years. Now that man and his wife were murdered in their apartment. The suspect turned himself in and they later found him dead by suicide in the jail. Awful all around. That poor mom lost her son but had a part of him live on and then that guy got murdered too.

Almost makes me wonder if they should watch out for the other recipients in a weird Xfiles sorta way.

https://people.com/crime/r-i-mom-horrif ... d-at-home/
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

hepcat wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:02 pm Zarathud will offer his services as long as you don't look over his shoulder.
Look over my shoulder all you want. Just don't put a blue dildo on it. :mrgreen:
hepcat wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:42 pm However, my suddenly dressing like Huggy Bear from Starsky and Hutch and taking up smoking so I can light my cigars with hundred dollar bills might actually tip people off.
Not in plaid, but purple:
Enlarge Image
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Lottery winners have similar issues to a business owner who is ready to retire and just found a buyer willing to pay a lot more than expected: Figure out a structure to manage your new wealth and provide for your family, manage the taxes while making prudent investments, and create a team to execute on a financial plan which grants permission to enjoy life without being wasteful.
Anonymous Bosch wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:21 pm Rule #2: call up the largest, most white-collar law firm in the country (just search for "highest paid law firm") and tell them you want a lawyer to help with taxes and trusts. When they ask why, tell them "I’ve recently come into some money and I’d like someone to coordinate my affairs." When they charge you $500 or $600/hour or more, pay it. Gladly. That lawyer is now your conduit with the outside world. Who contacts the lottery to tell them about the winning ticket? Not you (see Rule #1). Your lawyer handles that. Who do they make the check out to? Is it to you? Hell, no. Your lawyer will set up an anonymous trust for you.

Don't pay a Private Client/Trusts attorney just because they're expensive, but because they have the right experience dealing with the complications of taxes and families. Some of my former firm's partners charge over $1,000/hour, but were worth it because of their experience and connections. Attorneys who can charge high rates have something to lose, better networks, and should be less likely to turn you into their own lottery ticket. When you deal with $250 million businesses, a lottery winner is just another client.
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:33 am
hepcat wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:28 am
I love Fed and all, but I'd hate for this site to be overrun by a certain segment of his "admirers".
hepcat wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:36 amFurries?
Taint snorters more likely.
Conform or be cast out!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Why is it when you grab a cooking oil bottle and hold it and unscrew the lid and hold it ...both the same never letting go...that once you use it and try to put the lid back on it NEVER fits right and you have to fiddle with turning the lid and the bottle to make it screw back on?
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:17 pm Why is it when you grab a cooking oil bottle and hold it and unscrew the lid and hold it ...both the same never letting go...that once you use it and try to put the lid back on it NEVER fits right and you have to fiddle with turning the lid and the bottle to make it screw back on?
There is probably some random Brownian motion in the atoms of the bottle and cap that causes them to expand or contract.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

That experience seems familiar. I seem to recall cheap/thin plastic caps that deform or aren't able to re-make a good seal. Or the Brownian thing. :mrgreen:

I just use the oil all in one go in that case and put the rest in my tea or use it as conditioner.
Last edited by Sudy on Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:35 pm
Daehawk wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:41 pm Still dont know why sometimes a website will say "We dont recognize your browser" and send me a code in my email. Its the same damn browser and PC Ive had for many many years.
Cookies, much like cookies, eventually expire.
Sometimes major browser versions will make it happen.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The guy 3rd in line for the presidency has been in multiple Batman films.

The man third in the line of presidential succession has been in five 'Batman' movies
Sen. Patrick Leahy, a Democrat from Vermont and the longest-serving member of the current Senate, is a Batman aficionado who's turned his fandom into philanthropy. He's even used the comics to forward his legislative agenda.
Now President pro tempore of the Senate, Leahy is third in the presidential line of succession. Though it's unlikely he'll ever have to serve as President, his high-profile position shines a brighter light on his colorful resume -- which includes multiple appearances in the "Batman" films.
His most notable cameo, though, came in 2008's "The Dark Knight," when he confronts Heath Ledger's Joker and famously tells the villain that he's "not intimidated by thugs." The Joker, true to form, responds by grabbing Leahy's character and menacing him with a knife.
Ledger, who died before the film's release, is Leahy's favorite Joker.
"He scared the heck out of me, when he came at me with the knife," he told Roll Call. "I didn't have to act."
Enlarge Image
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well time to go cook pasta and sauce. Ive been trying to lose weight...starving, going to bed hungry, eating stuff I hate or dont like, avoiding a lot of what i love. And yet I have tons of pasta and sauces left to eat. Like 14 cans plus boxes of pasta. Im never going to lose weight. Seems Im going to be a fatty in my old age no matter what.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:59 pm Well time to go cook pasta and sauce. Ive been trying to lose weight...starving, going to bed hungry, eating stuff I hate or dont like, avoiding a lot of what i love. And yet I have tons of pasta and sauces left to eat. Like 14 cans plus boxes of pasta. Im never going to lose weight. Seems Im going to be a fatty in my old age no matter what.
You can't lose weight if you are skipping meals all day and then scarfing down 3 bowls of pasta because you are starving. Yes, you can lose weight eating pasta (it's not particularly healthy or nutritious, but pasta alone doesn't make you fat). If you are hungry, make a SMALL portion of pasta. Eat it. Walk away from the table, even if you still feel hungry. You don't exercise, so you have to limit how much you eat - but not to the extent where you are starving. If you are hungry again in a couple of hours - make yourself another small portion. You will not lose weight by putting what's left of your metabolism into a deep freeze.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Oh on my starving days I dont scarf food late. Around 5pm I eat one thing...hotdog....or some boiled cauliflower or something and not a lot of it. I go to bed with food on my mind. I cant even play a game because Im thinking of food. Every few days I eat more during one day. Like maybe chilidog around 1pm then a frozen dinner at 6pm and right before bed maybe a can of potted meat. Then Im back to going with little for a few days.

Im trying to keep the carbs blow 150 a day and cals down below 500. I dont worry about fat in what I eat. I still dont lose weight eating like that. I need to get my carbs to zero or under 25. About impossible. Especially because I am on EBT and free food. I have to eat crap with a few fresh veggie items scattered in and about.