Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

Re: Random randomness

Post by Isgrimnur »

WaPo
Rescuers were poised late Monday for the next day’s push in the painstaking, dangerous mission to free the young soccer players still trapped in a flooded cave in northern Thailand, 17 nights after their group went missing.

The mission to extract the 12 Thai boys and their coach accelerated Monday, with four more brought to safety in the second day of rescue efforts.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Dear Abby,
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
morlac

Post by morlac »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:25 pm WaPo
Rescuers were poised late Monday for the next day’s push in the painstaking, dangerous mission to free the young soccer players still trapped in a flooded cave in northern Thailand, 17 nights after their group went missing.

The mission to extract the 12 Thai boys and their coach accelerated Monday, with four more brought to safety in the second day of rescue efforts.
They're all out! Now just to get the last 4 rescuers out.
stessier

Post by stessier »

This is really amazing. I can't believe they pulled it off. I hope those last 4 SEALs get out ok.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I wish no one had died. The life of that Seal that died is on the head of that 25 year old assistant coach that took the boys back there to start with.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Is there confirmation that the rescued people are all expected to survive?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:41 am I wish no one had died. The life of that Seal that died is on the head of that 25 year old assistant coach that took the boys back there to start with.
It was an accident as far as I can tell. It seems like quite a few people involved are saying he's a charitable, kind guy who actually went without food at first so the kids could eat.
He won. Period.
stessier

Post by stessier »

wonderpug wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:47 am Is there confirmation that the rescued people are all expected to survive?
No word yet on the latest 5 rescued, but the first 8 are said to be doing well.
All eight boys rescued on Sunday and Monday are being treated in an isolation ward in a Chiang Rai hospital. Medical officials told reporters Tuesday that they're healthy, fever-free, mentally fit and "seem to be in high spirits."

Jedsada Chokedamrongsook, the permanent secretary of the Thai Health Ministry, said the first group of boys taken out on Sunday were aged 14 to 16. Their body temperatures were very low when they emerged, and two are suspected of having lung inflammation.

he second group freed on Monday were aged 12 to 14. One had a very slow heartbeat but had responded well to treatment, Chokedamrongsook said. The hospital has sent test samples from the boys to a lab in Bangkok.

Authorities will likely look for signs of Histoplasmosis, also known as "cave disease," an infection caused by breathing in spores of a fungus often found in bird and bat droppings, according to the Mayo Clinic.

They are all likely to stay in hospital for seven days due to their weakened immune systems. Thai Prime Minister Gen. Prayut Chan-ocha visited the hospital Monday, and spoke to relatives and hospital workers.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

hepcat wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:22 am
Daehawk wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:41 am I wish no one had died. The life of that Seal that died is on the head of that 25 year old assistant coach that took the boys back there to start with.
It was an accident as far as I can tell. It seems like quite a few people involved are saying he's a charitable, kind guy who actually went without food at first so the kids could eat.
Maybe he is a nice guy but I heard on some news that he knew the dangers in the rainy season and had them go as far back to touch the wall in an initiation test. Of course that could be a lie. Either way he was their leader and someone has died. I wouldn't want that on me. I worry about enough stuff.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I'm really not sure what your point is. Do you think he's getting off easy? What do you want from him? Why do you think he won't be devastated when he finds out someone died trying to rescue everyone?

I know these are stupid questions - you're just shouting into the void. Just really weird shouting.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Dont wish or think anything other than he has to live with that the rest of his life for doing something silly. I again wish no one had died in this.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Every one has now made it out of the cave. It is now safe to nuke from orbit.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Free trade my ass.

2.17$ part.

They want 37$ in shipping.

Fuck right off.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

I witnessed someone asking for yellow mustard on a Meatball Marinara sub at Subway at lunchtime today.

Yellow mustard. On a sub that has marinara sauce.

Gross.
Hodor.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

All you had to say was ‘mustard’ and I was with you.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:33 pm All you had to say was ‘mustard’ and I was with you.
I like mustard. Yellow, honey, brown, spicy. But on a meatball sub? Noooooooooooooooooope.
Hodor.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I will accept honey mustard. The mass-extruded yellow nonsense ruins the taste of everything it touches.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:12 pm I will accept honey mustard. The mass-extruded yellow nonsense ruins the taste of everything it touches.
You're going to disparage the greatness of yellow mustard while in the same sentence advocating for the vile, treacly sweetness of honey mustard?
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Not sure which thread this belongs in, so I'll put it here. Some of it is "well, duh", but there's some really fascinating data.

What we buy can be used to predict our politics, race or education — sometimes with more than 90 percent accuracy
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:17 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:12 pm I will accept honey mustard. The mass-extruded yellow nonsense ruins the taste of everything it touches.
You're going to disparage the greatness of yellow mustard while in the same sentence advocating for the vile, treacly sweetness of honey mustard?
I am.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Mustard very clearly is the condiment of choice for nearly everything.

Mustard seed is magic.

Probably not on a meatball sub but if someone forced me to pick something to put on it, there are far worse choices.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Plus it's a Subway meatball sub, so what's the harm?
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:50 pm Plus it's a Subway meatball sub, so what's the harm?
Good point.

I haven't had a good meatball sub in like 20 years.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Get one at Firehouse.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

my first job was at Subway. you may not be surprised at the number of people who'd order one of the fake seafood subs (basically processed white fish and a lot of mayonnaise) "with extra mayo and bacon".
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:31 pm Get one at Firehouse.
You'll forgive me if I don't take culinary advice from you. Evidence suggests that we are not on the same gastronomical wavelength, and I say that knowing I will eat almost anything including inedible things.

In retrospect I'm not sure I've ever had a good meatball sub. Which is probably why I don't particularly like/dislike meatball subs.
DOS=HIGH

Post by DOS=HIGH »

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Meatball subs are almost always disappointing, particularly from fast (or fast-ish) food. Maybe at some gourmet sub or Italian place they'd be OK, but at most places either the meatball is bland/boring or the marinara is bland/boring or the cheese is Subway cheese or the bread lacks substance or something. I'm almost always disappointed in at least one element if I get a meatball sub.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

GreenGoo wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:49 pm
Daehawk wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:31 pm Get one at Firehouse.
You'll forgive me if I don't take culinary advice from you. Evidence suggests that we are not on the same gastronomical wavelength, and I say that knowing I will eat almost anything including inedible things.

In retrospect I'm not sure I've ever had a good meatball sub. Which is probably why I don't particularly like/dislike meatball subs.
Firehouse is a pretty good sub place. Much better than Subway. I've never had their meatball though. They are really best known (in my circle) for their selection of hot sauces, which may not appeal to you at all if you don't like the fire in your mouth.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

I agree that Firehouse > Subway (Hook and Ladder FTW). Though I have not tried their hot sauces, of which I see many whenever I go to a store near me.
Hodor.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I need to stop adding cheese at Subway. It's not like I can ever taste it.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:10 pm I need to stop adding cheese at Subway. It's not like I can ever taste it.
My 8yo likes subway so we get it a couple times a month. I usually get pepper jack cheese but it's kind of redundant since I also get jalapenos.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

The worst deli sandwich I've ever eaten is leaps and bounds above the best Subway sandwich I've ever consumed. I guess I'll be that guy and say, "buy local".
Maybe next year, maybe no go
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:15 pm The worst deli sandwich I've ever eaten is leaps and bounds above the best Subway sandwich I've ever consumed. I guess I'll be that guy and say, "buy local".
The only issue I have with this is that, at least in the area where I do most of my sandwich buying, it's easier to eat lower calorie/faux healthy sandwiches at Subway (or even Potbelly) than it is at the deli.
Hodor.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

pr0ner wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:16 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:15 pm The worst deli sandwich I've ever eaten is leaps and bounds above the best Subway sandwich I've ever consumed. I guess I'll be that guy and say, "buy local".
The only issue I have with this is that, at least in the area where I do most of my sandwich buying, it's easier to eat lower calorie/faux healthy sandwiches at Subway (or even Potbelly) than it is at the deli.
Potbelly is about one trillion times better than Subway.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

And yet Subway is the only sandwich shop within 30 miles of me in any direction. :|
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:23 pm
I really should go to Potbelly more often.
Hodor.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

pr0ner wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:40 pm
ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:23 pm
I really should go to Potbelly more often.
Plus, there's no yellow mustard to put on their subs.

(And we've come full circle.)
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:08 pm Firehouse is a pretty good sub place. Much better than Subway.
No doubt. Still, would you take food advice from daehawk? A stopped watch and all that.

And unrelated to the comparison, I like Subway because a good Subway has fresh vegetables. Considering Subway is the McDonald's of subs, fresh veggies can make all the difference.

Also, Subway is extremely cheap in comparison to any other place that makes subs that I am aware of. I've never eaten at Potbelly's or Firehouse, but if they are not at least 20% more expensive, I'd be very surprised.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

That's not even a question.

Hey Max, have you tried Frank's near the corner of Greenbank and Huntclub? It's fast, the sandwiches are large and the variety of toppings is pretty extreme. Price-wise it also makes a liar out of me and my previous post.