Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

The Meal

Re: Random randomness

Post by The Meal »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:14 pm https://www.sciencealert.com/japan-just ... h-minerals

Should be another interesting multinational development.
Researchers have found a deposit of rare-earth minerals off the coast of Japan that could supply the world for centuries, according to a new study.
Currently, there are only a few economically viable areas where they can be mined and they're generally expensive to extract.

China has tightly controlled much of the world's supply of these minerals for decades. That has forced Japan – a major electronics manufacturer – to rely on prices dictated by their neighbour.
There's enough yttrium to meet the global demand for 780 years, dysprosium for 730 years, europium for 620 years, and terbium for 420 years.
This is huge. Look at the pricing on say dysprosium (the one I'm most familiar with) in the past decade. China basically cornered the market on Dy, and put the screws to all manufactures who required it (such as folks for whom temperature-resistant magnets are important). Japanese suppliers were going crazy to make Dy-free magnets with appropriate coercivity to be able to compete, for fear of them completely losing their businesses. Now that Japan's got access to a significant stash of REEs? Must be pretty exciting times again.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

What time is it, kids? It's xenotime!
The rare-earth elements dysprosium, erbium, terbium and ytterbium, as well as metal elements such as thorium and uranium (all replacing yttrium) are the expressive secondary components of xenotime
It's almost as if people are the problem.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Nice running weather...
Crains wrote:
  • Linden is a two-time Olympian and 2011 Boston Marathon runner-up
  • Elite runner lives in Charlevoix
  • Trains with Hanson-Brooks Distance Project, based in Rochester Hills
BOSTON — Desiree Linden of Michigan splashed her way through icy rain and a near-gale headwind to win the Boston Marathon on Monday, the first victory for an American woman since 1985.

The two-time Olympian and 2011 Boston runner-up pulled away at the end of Heartbreak Hill to win in 2 hours, 39 minutes, 54 seconds. That was more than four minutes better than second-place finisher Sarah Sellers — one of seven Americans in the top 10 — but the slowest time for a women's winner in Boston since 1978.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Not so much for baseball:
There will be no Patriots Day baseball in Boston.

With extended periods of rain expected on Marathon Monday, the scheduled game between the Red Sox and Baltimore Orioles has been postponed.

It is the first Patriots Day rainout since 1984.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:14 pm https://www.sciencealert.com/japan-just ... h-minerals

Researchers have found a deposit of rare-earth minerals off the coast of Japan that could supply the world for centuries, according to a new study.
Currently, there are only a few economically viable areas where they can be mined and they're generally expensive to extract.

China has tightly controlled much of the world's supply of these minerals for decades. That has forced Japan – a major electronics manufacturer – to rely on prices dictated by their neighbour.
China: Please make note that our South China Sea Eco-exclusion zone now extends to Tokyo. We have beached a small barge loaded with Chinese soil on the Japanese mainland to support our claim. There shall be no nautical traffic within 1200 miles of the barge, and we insist your small children please step back.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Guess a chainsaw wasn't available.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Groovy.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Should have saw that coming. I find it funny it says those being taken by that one is not the real one .SO better to be taken by the 'real' one ?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

This should go in console gaming but I don't venture in *there*
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

That video is EVIL.
Hodor.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Very.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

China can’t control the market in rare earth elements because they aren’t all that rare
If you need to know one thing about rare earth metals, it’s that they’re crucial to modern technology, helping power everything from MRI machines and satellites to headphones and nuclear reactors. If you need to know two things, it’s that despite their name, they’re not at all rare.

This second fact is crucial when putting recent headlines about these 17 oddly named elements in proper context. Last week, many publications covered the news that a Japanese team of scientists had found a huge trove of rare earth elements off the coast of the country’s Minamitori Island. Some 16 million tons were estimated to be lurking in the deep-sea mud, enough to meet global demand on a “semi-infinite basis,” said the researchers.
But experts say the narrative here is wrong. Despite appearances, the Minamitori find is not as significant as headlines have implied. And although China seems to wield great power over this critical global supply chain, the truth is that the country can’t just bring the West to its knees by limiting the export of rare earth elements. We know this pretty conclusively because it tried this in 2010, and it didn’t work out. In both cases, the overlooked factor is just how difficult it is to produce rare earth elements, compared to how easy it is to find them.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

uh oh...got a popup on logging into Yahoo mail. Seems the yare part of a place called OATH now and have a privacy policy up. Now I owrry.

Just the first part
New Privacy and Terms

Yahoo is now part of Oath, the media and tech company behind today’s top news, sports and entertainment sites and apps.

By choosing “I accept” below, you agree to Oath’s new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Below is a summary of some of the key updates. To learn more about our approach to privacy, click here.

Probably means they sell my info to everyone and read all my emails. Both things I already figure everyone does.

Looks like a lot of named are under OATH now.. haha under Oath..ok....Yahoo, AOL, Techcrunch, Tumblr, HuffPost, Engadget.

ugh...
How we collect and use data.

We’ve updated some of the ways we collect and analyze user data in order to deliver services, content, relevant advertising and abuse protection.
This includes: analyzing content and information when you use our services (including emails, instant messages, posts, photos, attachments, and other communications), linking your activity on other sites and apps with information we have about you, and providing anonymized and/or aggregated reports to other parties regarding user trends.

Sharing Data with Verizon.

Oath and its affiliates may share the information we receive with Verizon. Learn more about Verizon’s privacy practices.

Combining data.

We also combine data among our services and across your devices. This will provide you with better personalized services and features across your devices and Oath accounts. We’ve provided information about your choices with respect to your use of our services, and given you control in our Privacy Controls section.

Key Points in Terms of Service

We’ve added a mutual arbitration clause.
Hopefully, disputes will never be an issue, but in the case of one, this allows a third-party arbitrator to help us resolve them. We’ve also added a class action waiver. These provisions are an important part of our relationship with you, so please read them carefully.
We’ve specified the legal entity that provides each service to you.
For some services, this may be a different entity than the entity that previously provided the service. We’ve also reserved the right to transfer the providing entity for each service in the future.
General provisions that apply to billing, auto-renewal, and refunds have been added.
Unless the additional terms for a service override the Terms of Service, these provisions apply to your use of our paid services
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:48 pm uh oh...got a popup on logging into Yahoo mail. Seems the yare part of a place called OATH now and have a privacy policy up. Now I owrry.
No need to worry. If you're still using Yahoo mail, everybody already has your info anyway.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Holman

Post by Holman »

"Your email is now owned by OATH. Welcome to the new world of OATH!"

Are we sure this isn't just viral marketing for the new season of ARCHER?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

It's so windy outside, the whole building is shaking...and it's only a 4-floor building, not like it's a skyscraper. I'm on the 3rd floor, a row away from the windows, and it's so loud, I may as well be trying to work in a car going down the highway with windows rolled down.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

gilraen wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:10 pm It's so windy outside, the whole building is shaking...and it's only a 4-floor building, not like it's a skyscraper. I'm on the 3rd floor, a row away from the windows, and it's so loud, I may as well be trying to work in a car going down the highway with windows rolled down.
Yeah. Good thing I forgot today was the water day. Though I did happen to walk by the window just as he was dropping off the new ones.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

TheMix wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:13 pm Yeah. Good thing I forgot today was the water day. Though I did happen to walk by the window just as he was dropping off the new ones.
LOL...pretty sure if you'd remember to set the empties out beforehand, they'd be in Nebraska by now.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

gilraen wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:15 pm
TheMix wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:13 pm Yeah. Good thing I forgot today was the water day. Though I did happen to walk by the window just as he was dropping off the new ones.
LOL...pretty sure if I'd you'd remembered to remind you to set the empties out beforehand, they'd be in Nebraska by now.
FTFY

:D

Black Lives Matter

AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Got 3-5 spare minutes? Want to spend it getting stupider?

This YouTube Beef Explained, for Ya Old Ass
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Dont know them dont care. Can all go die for all I care. Dumbasses. Useless people.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

They aren't part of my culture, and I honestly don't understand their appeal, but just because I don't understand someone else doesn't mean I think they're useless - or that they should go and die. After all, there was plenty about our generation that older previous generations didn't understand.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Things you I should not hear you say when we're making small talk at school, waiting for dismissal:

"My son is absolutely obsessed with weapons."
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

AWS260 wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:30 pm Got 3-5 spare minutes? Want to spend it getting stupider?

This YouTube Beef Explained, for Ya Old Ass
I resent having just contributed to their 15 minutes of fame. To compensate, I have already forgotten their names.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Buncha hatin'-ass heaux in this thread...
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:47 pm Kenny Mayne's ankle.
That’s a great article, thanks for sharing it. I’ve always liked Mayne, but had no idea he actually played.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Glad to provide. I knew he was a Vegas boy, but had no idea about his career and his struggles since.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:03 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:47 pm Kenny Mayne's ankle.
That’s a great article, thanks for sharing it. I’ve always liked Mayne, but had no idea he actually played.
Don't know the guy, but I enjoyed the article.

Thanks, Izzy.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

YA liked the read. For a moment I thought it would be the guy whose injury is so famous but I guess his was a leg. That one just skin crawling.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I'm typically not one to do this, but it hit a little close to home this time.

My cousin's wife has a rare and very aggressive form of cancer. While she's been battling it on and off again for a few years, things have gotten worse over the last few weeks. There's a brand new experimental treatment they're doing clinical trials for at the Huntsman Cancer Center (one of the best in the world...it's where my dad was treated before he passed), and she was accepted into the trial. Problem is, it's really damn expensive and not covered by insurance.

So if you happen to have some digital change in your couch cushions, consider maybe throwing a couple bucks their way. They're good people caught in a really bad spot with not a lot of options.

(mods, please feel free to delete if this is against the rules. I wasn't sure.)
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Mr.Adebayo Adelabu has contacted me!! I read his name in Eddie Murphey's Coming to America accent. He wants to send me 10 million smackers!

I cannot stop laughing at the part where they have impostered his name. Poor Mr.Adebayo Adelabu.
Dear Beneficiary,

Kindly note that you are required as a matter of urgency to reconfirm your information including your name,phone number and your address for verification and immediate payment within 24 hours to enable your payment of US$10.7Million.This is as a result of the mandate given to me by the President Federal Republic in conjunction with the Federal Executive Council (FEC),the Senate Committee on Foreign Debts Reconciliation and Implementation Panel on Contract/inheritance/compensation funds to complete all the unpaid Contract/inheritance/lottery fund.

Get back to me urgently.

Best Regards,
Mr.Adebayo Adelabu.
Deputy Governor (CBN)
KINDLY NOTE THAT SOME IMPOSTERS HAVE STARTED MAKING FORGERY OF MY GOOD NAME
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

And you thought flying coach was already bad...
Passengers in Skyriders will essentially remain standing during flight, though with their feet on the floor, on perches that curve up in the middle, allowing thighs to rest on either side. The seats are strapped onto poles running between the cabin floor and ceiling, meaning passengers are essentially riding the seat like a cowboy on horseback—hence the name. The new layout lets airlines squeeze in twenty percent more passengers than they can typically fit in coach.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

China cracks down on jaywalkers with automated turrets equipped with squirt guns and facial recognition cameras

https://boingboing.net/2018/04/20/tear-gas-next.html
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Monoprice saves my butt yet again. I cant tell you how much I love that website. A cable is a cable and they have great cables and prices. Amazon had it for $5. Monoprice .92 cents. A USB male/female extender cable.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Enlarge Image

Came across these in Dollar General. Never heard of them before. I like hot so got a cylinder. On opening they really have no smell. Certainly not a peppery smell. Taking one out they are covered in red powder. That boded well for hot. Stuck on in my mouth and the first flavor is sour'ish. Its chili lime I now see on the package. Very lime like. Then kinda hot. Not bad. 3 chips in I had to stop...THATS HOT! Really hot. Also really good. Waiting to eat more..later.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The other day I was frying something in an iron skillet. the oil was super hot and about half and inch deep. When I flipped whatever the item was it splashed oil....onto my hand. It was like it happened in slow motion and time was lagged. I saw it splash and felt it on the back of my hand But I remember thinking "Hey there oil on the back of my haOOOUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Burned all the rest of the evening and now a week later I am left wit ha spot that is pretty deep . Looks like a combo blister and hole. No pain at all. In fact I dont feel anything at that spot. From the time I did it until now Ive kept aloe gel, neosporin, and vitamin E oil on it off and on. Its been amazingly effective in helping it. So if ya burn yourself my suggestion for relief and healing is Aloe vera gel.

This is the exact stuff I am using. Had it for years and years.

Enlarge Image