Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Blackhawk

Re: Random randomness

Post by Blackhawk »

I was able to stand enough to make my way into the other room for a heating pad and a bottle of ibuprofen. It took several minutes, and I was panting by the time i was done. We'll see how it goes.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i was wondering if any songs have been purged from the Christmas music stations over the past couple decades. i know i never hear Jingle Bells (probably too simple. replaced by Jingle Bell Rock?), Deck the Halls (now the domain of store commercials) or The Twelve Days of Christmas (too tedious?) anymore.
Holman

Post by Holman »

hitbyambulance wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:03 pm i was wondering if any songs have been purged from the Christmas music stations over the past couple decades. i know i never hear Jingle Bells (probably too simple. replaced by Jingle Bell Rock?), Deck the Halls (now the domain of store commercials) or The Twelve Days of Christmas (too tedious?) anymore.
We have at least two radio stations that switch to round-the-clock Christmas music in December. I'm pretty sure you can hear all of the classics at least once a day.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I think we have 4 that do that. Plus all the ones I have on iHeartRadio.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Part of my albatross...

“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

What flavor is it?

Or rather, which albatross is it?
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

That looks like my collection of miniature figurines I still have to paint.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Blackhawk wrote:What flavor is it?

Or rather, which albatross is it?
Comic book boxes. Those are the long boxes. Plus another 25 short boxes.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I recognized the boxes, I just wasn't sure what was in them.

I'm envious.I'm only up to about one and a half short boxes myself. Of course, I've only been actively collecting for a year or two.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

When I lived in New Orleans a friend of mine had a collection about that size. Then one day it flooded. I bet he lost 25 -30% of his collection.
I suppose he lost the rest of it during Katrina.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Comics from basically the mid-70’s to the early 2000’s. With some occasional things scattered through the past 10 years or so.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Mine are a mix. I'm new enough to collecting (and am usually limited to dollar bins) that I'm mostly trying to collect classic runs that don't cost a lot (I just picked up all 12 of DC's Crisis on Infinite Earth run for Christmas, and I've been working on Knightfall/Knightquest/KnightsEnd for a while) or stuff I particularly enjoy (some Teen Titans and Marvel GI Joe.) None of them are big ticket issues, save for a couple that were given to me, like Batman #181 (first Poison Ivy) and silver age Shazam! #1, along with about half of the rest of that run. Neither is in mint condition, so they aren't worth a fortune. It's just nice to be able to find something special for a buck or two every now and then.

As you can guess, I do mostly DC.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Dammit, I found the perfect shelving unit for my wargames closet, but none of the hardware stores stock it. I would have to special order it, and it will take at least a week to get it. I want to get this shit done TODAY!
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Which unit? Interested to see how you stow all that stuff.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Zarathud wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:00 pm Which unit? Interested to see how you stow all that stuff.
It's actually a really cheap canned goods shelf.

I'm sticking it inside of a walk-in closet space that my dad and I built ages ago in my basement room. It's relatively narrow, so I only have room for a 32" wide shelf. I also have to keep it shallow, because there's a shut off to an outside faucet, so I could only go with a maximum of 16". These canning shelves fit perfectly, at 30" wide and 12" deep. Best of all, there are a bunch of shelves. For minis, terrain, etc, I don't need a lot of height, but I do need the shelf space. This works perfectly. I wouldn't necessarily like to have it out in a gaming room, because it is very utilitarian, but for storage in a closet it's perfect.

Then next to that, on the wall facing the door, I'm going to put in an old library card catalog that I've had for years. This I will use for storage and organization of minis.

Really close to being finished with my game room remodel. I still have a wish list of things to get, but I'm at about 80% functionality right now.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Its a done deal....next month the wife gets me a Bob Ross Chia Pet.

Soak your Chia.

Enlarge Image
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Why wouldn't you have it grow as his beard/moustache too?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Dont see why i couldn't unless it has to do with water pouring out.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:49 pm
coopasonic wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:07 pm Had an MRI yesterday in the ongoing effort to relieve my sciatica. Note from my doctor after reviewing the radiologist report:
Mr [redacted]

MRI showed large disc compressing right L5 nerve root --you should see a surgeon at texas back institute

--[redacted]
He likes to get right to the point.

I'm meeting with an orthopedic surgeon Monday morning.

When did we get so old?
Surgery next week.
Or not. Surgery is scheduled for tomorrow and I have pre-op appointments today, but I woke up with a fever this morning. Argh! I so wanted to get this over with.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
morlac

Post by morlac »

pr0ner wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:25 pm The newest hippie/Silicon Valley craze? Raw water.

The founder of Live Water, Mukhande Singh, started selling spring water from Opal Springs in Culver, Ore., three years ago, but it was a small local operation until this year. Marketing materials show Mr. Singh (né Christopher Sanborn) sitting naked and cross-legged on a hot spring, his long brown hair flowing over his chest.
So it's In the Raw Water.

Do not want!
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Ever wonder what happens to old cars? You don't see them piling up in junkyards anymore for a reason.

Prolerizer:
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

That looks like a scrap metal area right by where I live. If it's the same one, I drove by it yesterday and will do so again today. My kids love the giant wrecker trucks.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:18 pm That looks like a scrap metal area right by where I live. If it's the same one, I drove by it yesterday and will do so again today. My kids love the giant wrecker trucks.
Yup
Every night and day in Chicago, hundreds of half broken down pickups and occasional vans take to the alleys looking for metal. They have plywood sheets teetering on the sides so they can carry more discarded appliances, bent ironing boards, crumpled car hoods, and other assorted scrap. Some have new backyard grills or metal patio furniture in there. And, of course, some carry bicycles. Maybe yours. Did you lock it to a stationary object? Did you use a good lock? Or did you just leave it in the garage with the old, bad lock on the door? The Prolerizer calls, and the metal guys obey. Your bike goes into the recycling pile, up the ramp to the grinder, and the metal guy gets a couple bucks.

Although it eats bicycles, we love the Prolerizer and the parallel universe Chicago it represents. The kids and I can watch it for a long time, as its yellow helpers claw their way through stacks of metal shreds that look like James Bond’s car in Goldfinger. And bikes.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Holman

Post by Holman »

Bad news, I'm afraid.

Cranberries lead singer Dolores O'Riordan dies aged 46.
The Cranberries singer Dolores O’Riordan has died in London at the age of 46, her publicist has confirmed.

A statement from her publicist said: “Irish and international singer Dolores O’Riordan has died suddenly in London today. She was 46 years old.

“The lead singer with the Irish band The Cranberries was in London for a short recording session. No further details are available at this time.

“Family members are devastated to hear the breaking news and have requested privacy at this very difficult time.”

The Cranberries sold more than 40m records over their career. Their most popular hits included Zombie and Linger.
The last time I heard about her was a couple of years back when she got into trouble for odd behavior at an airport. I think drugs/alcohol were suspected at the time.

EDIT: Further reading tells me that she was actually bipolar, and that drugs were said not to be an issue.
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

Holman wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:47 pm Bad news, I'm afraid.

Cranberries lead singer Dolores O'Riordan dies aged 46.
How was playing in my car when I got back from lunch today. This is really a bummer.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Moliere wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:22 pm
ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:18 pm That looks like a scrap metal area right by where I live. If it's the same one, I drove by it yesterday and will do so again today. My kids love the giant wrecker trucks.
Yup
Every night and day in Chicago, hundreds of half broken down pickups and occasional vans take to the alleys looking for metal. They have plywood sheets teetering on the sides so they can carry more discarded appliances, bent ironing boards, crumpled car hoods, and other assorted scrap. Some have new backyard grills or metal patio furniture in there. And, of course, some carry bicycles. Maybe yours. Did you lock it to a stationary object? Did you use a good lock? Or did you just leave it in the garage with the old, bad lock on the door? The Prolerizer calls, and the metal guys obey. Your bike goes into the recycling pile, up the ramp to the grinder, and the metal guy gets a couple bucks.

Although it eats bicycles, we love the Prolerizer and the parallel universe Chicago it represents. The kids and I can watch it for a long time, as its yellow helpers claw their way through stacks of metal shreds that look like James Bond’s car in Goldfinger. And bikes.
It's slightly harrowing to be driving behind one of those scrappers. Always waiting for a hot water heater to fall through my windshield.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

hentzau wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:03 pm
Yup

It's slightly harrowing to be driving behind one of those scrappers. Always waiting for a hot water heater to fall through my windshield.
But on the plus side, if I ever need to get rid of any cumbersome piece of metal, I can put it the alley and it'll be gone in 20 minutes.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

We need these people to prowl the backwoods of Maine. Every day, I drive by numerous yards so full of broken stuff that you'd think they were running a junkyard.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I have nothing to add. Just wanted to post in page 666 of this thread. :twisted:

This seems appropriate:

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:05 pm
hentzau wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:03 pm
Yup

But on the plus side, if I ever need to get rid of any cumbersome piece of metal, I can put it the alley and it'll be gone in 20 minutes.
We have to call to have appliances tagged and removed. I did this for my dead fridge. Before I could get to the end of the driveway on trashday eve a pickup parked in front of my house and asked if he could help me. It is my assumption they prowl the neighborhoods on trash day. More power too 'em as long as their not prowling garages and constructions sites.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i called a scrapper once to take my old metal trundle bed frame. i emailed the day before to make sure they were going to show up and they replied yes. then they didn't show up on the day they were supposed to take it and proceeded to ignore all my emails from then onward. so weird.
Holman

Post by Holman »

We have scrapper trucks in Philadelphia. They cover the neighborhoods the night before garbage day.

If I were to put, say, a metal shelving unit out with my trash, it would be gone in two hours.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

PICKLE RICK!!!!!!!!!!!! & Jaguar
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

A word Im getting tired of...patina. Someone just talked about cast iron skillets and used it. Ick.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I wonder if the septic tank freezes during really cold weather.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thought that lately. Figure if it did the toilet would overflow.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

dbt1949 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:33 am I wonder if the septic tank freezes during really cold weather.
Septic tanks develop a really nice patina in the winter.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:56 am Thought that lately. Figure if it did the toilet would overflow.
I haven't worried about it after noticing that my septic lid melted the snow on top of it while the rest of the yard had 8 inches of snow still.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Not something I've ever had to worry about in NJ (the tanks are all well below the frost line), but apparently it's an issue in other places.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i just got a discarded Blackberry DevAlpha phone (ca. 2013) working, woohoo. these devices were supposed to semi-brick after the initial eval period expired. i don't think it's of much use (since the Android support is completely lacking and my dopey phone carrier requires either Android or iOS) but it'll make a decent media player.