Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

LordMortis

Re: Random randomness

Post by LordMortis »

I've not been getting enough sleep lately. When this happens I have dreams or at least they become vivid and I remember them.

Last night I dreamt the Lilliputians were in conspiracy to take over US. They were hiding and plotting in the back rooms of grocers and convenience markets in New York unbeknownst to the proprieters. So I was going around interviewing random people at the grocer and convenience stores taking notes on small individual doylie size scraps of paper and a clue led me to wait in line for the escalator to the top of Empire state building so I could catch a flight to Las Vegas. Only I didn't actually want to go to Vegas but I accidentally went through the turnstyle so I got stuck going up the half way mark where you get on the second escalator (After all one escalator going all the way to the top of the Empire State Building would be ludicris) and jumped lines to go back down. And then dream gets cloudy. And for the life of me I can't figure out what information I had on the Lilliputians. But I know it was good dirt and it had to do with a rich guy's dirty dealing and the Lilliputians invading some kids birthday party by pretending to be children.

The funny thing is that I'd have never remembered what a Lilliputian was if it weren't for that dream.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

In an email to my wife just now:

I really think it’s the extra 6 inches that are screwing me over.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
qp

Post by qp »

I made this. Kind of like a programming doodle.
Game developer in Port Hope, Ontario
Five Archers Corporation
@FiveArchers on Twitter!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

When did TV cop shows change from "Put out and APB" to "Put out a bolo"? Was that a way to make their veiwers feel more cop slang savy? Have medical shows found a word to replace STAT yet? I'm waiting for a medical show to list FLK as a children's symptom. Then I'll have a moment where I get to pretend to feel all lingo savy. Then another docor could interupt and say "Lupus".

If a form of energy is heat, why can't we make AC units the generate energy instead of use it? As someone who is sometimes hot in 60 degree weather, I could be saving the world a shitton of energy just by keeping my house cool from March until November.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Oh and I totally forgot. Recently I've actually been eating guac. Well sort of. Heretofore I have hated guac but Taco Bells mixing it in with their ranch sauce on their grilled chicken burrito is awesome. The yummiest fast food I can think of right now.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

LordMortis wrote:When did TV cop shows change from "Put out and APB" to "Put out a bolo"? Was that a way to make their veiwers feel more cop slang savy?
Wiki wrote:An all-points bulletin can also be known as a BOLO or BOL, which stands for "be on the look-out". Such an alert may also be called a lookout or ATL ("attempt to locate").

A similar acronym used by Australian law enforcement is KALOF (for "keep a look-out for"). The United Kingdom uses a similar system known as the all-ports warning or APW, which circulates a suspect's description to airports, ports and international railway stations to detect an offender leaving the country.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

But when did TVdom change from APB to bolo? It was always APB growing up, now no one says APB, they all say bolo. Won't somebody thing of CHiPs?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

When I got my new car, I was all excited to get satellite radio. I was practically the 16 year old kid who bought his first car based on the kicking stereo system. Now that I have stallite radio, I still pop in CDs most of the time. I can't seem to find much to consistantly reflect my mood. Lithium is a nice station that takes me back to the rise and fall music just outside of pop's radar but it never holds my attention for long enough to just leave it there. So now that I have satellite, I don't see me paying ten bucks a month to keep it.

Always want what I don't have and want to move on to something else when I do have something. It's a habit I need to get rid of for something better.

Why are bad habits hard to break and good ones hard to maintain?
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

LordMortis wrote:Why are bad habits hard to break and good ones hard to maintain?
It's easier to keep doing something than to start doing something. If you're already used to brushing your teeth twice a day, you don't think about it, and you're unlikely to decide to change the habit. People rarely make a conscious decision to alter their habits for the worse, so perception is skewed.
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
stessier

Post by stessier »

LordMortis wrote:If a form of energy is heat, why can't we make AC units the generate energy instead of use it? As someone who is sometimes hot in 60 degree weather, I could be saving the world a shitton of energy just by keeping my house cool from March until November.
So you want to take the energy (heat) out of your house to keep it cooler, but do something with the energy? You could pull this off, but you'd need some place colder than your house to store the heat (energy), otherwise it would take more energy to put the heat there than it made (as evidenced by the AC in the first place).
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

stessier wrote:So you want to take the energy (heat) out of your house to keep it cooler, but do something with the energy? You could pull this off, but you'd need some place colder than your house to store the heat (energy), otherwise it would take more energy to put the heat there than it made (as evidenced by the AC in the first place).
And this is why I don't do science.

Why would you thank people kindly? or specfically hankya' kindly. Are there other ways to thank people? I have no idea why I put kindly at the end or what it's supposed to mean. But I do it anyway.

In the time it took to thank the drive through person kindly for an incredibily late McDonald's fast food lunch (Hi Stardock!) that is going to destroy me later someone managed to steal my parking space. The last time someone stole my parking space at work, when I left for the day I totally freaked out that someone stole my car... Parked a whole four spaces away...
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Old McDonald had a farm and on this farm he had a squirrel With a ??? ??? here and a ??? ??? there Here a ??? there a ????

Have a mentioned that I love this thread? I can almost be fully contained in here. It's comfy. I'm thinking about letting it just drift off several pages, booking marking it and then just editing posts in here.
stessier

Post by stessier »

LordMortis wrote:Old McDonald had a farm and on this farm he had a squirrel With a ??? ??? here and ??? ??? there Here a ??? there a ????
*scritch scritch* ?

*tail flick flick* ?

*dart under car and squish squish* ?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

stessier wrote:
LordMortis wrote:Old McDonald had a farm and on this farm he had a squirrel With a ??? ??? here and ??? ??? there Here a ??? there a ????
*scritch scritch* ?

*tail flick flick* ?

*dart under car and squish squish* ?

Harsh.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

stessier wrote:
*scritch scritch* ?
This. On my bedroom roof at 7 o'clock on the gorram morning, even on weekends! THIS! :grund:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

LordMortis wrote:Have a mentioned that I love this thread? I can almost be fully contained in here. It's comfy. I'm thinking about letting it just drift off several pages, booking marking it and then just editing posts in here.
What would I do for entertainment?
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

LordMortis wrote: Have a mentioned that I love this thread? I can almost be fully contained in here. It's comfy. I'm thinking about letting it just drift off several pages, booking marking it and then just editing posts in here.
Which would differ from your typical behavior in threads...how?
“I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” -Thomas Jefferson
Finding Red Riding Hood well-armed, the wolf calls for more gun control.
qp

Post by qp »

The power station supplies the...factory
The factory builds all the...hovertanks
The hovertanks carry around the...turrets
The turrets are boosted by the...radar
The radar is boosted by the...power station
The powe...

Object reference not set to an instance of an object

:cry:
Five Archers Corporation
@FiveArchers on Twitter!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

How in the world does My Dog Has Fleas equate to tuning a ukulele? M isn't even a note to my knowledge. She runs the MIS or something. I think I want to learn to play the ukulele and sing silly ukulele songs and then joing a ukulele rock band. I figure it's gotta be cheaper and easier than a banjo, which would also be way cool to play.

If I could get Ukulele made out of stone, I could play songs from The Flintstones all the time and I could wear skin one piece shirt dress thing.

Here I come on the run with a burger on a bun.

Or I could grow my hair out again and put a pony tail on top

So let the sun shine in and face it with a grin

And yet I hate most musical interludes from most modern shows, especially cartoons. I wonder why.
Last edited by LordMortis on Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Do you suppose saying "Ding. The Turkey's ready" to a female coworker in a business enviornment would get you in trouble? Could a woman get away with saying it to another women in a business enviornment? What if one of them were a lesbian?
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

LordMortis wrote:Do you suppose saying "Ding. The Turkey's ready" to a female coworker in a business enviornment would get you in trouble? Could a woman get away with saying it to another women in a business enviornment? What if one of them were a lesbian?
Only if you have a flashlight in your pocket at the time.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Brian

Post by Brian »

LordMortis wrote:Do you suppose saying "Ding. The Turkey's ready" to a female coworker in a business enviornment would get you in trouble? Could a woman get away with saying it to another women in a business enviornment? What if one of them were a lesbian?
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
stessier

Post by stessier »

A woman manager at my place of employ saw an underling and said "[Name] you finally look pregnant!" All the men in the room looked at each other in horror thinking there was no way in the world we would ever make that statement, even if we weren't at work.

To her credit, the manager immediately realized what she had said and turned as red as the underling. Laughs were had all around.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I suddenly remember a snippet from my dream last night. I parallel parked in a diagonal parking area in the town next to the town where I grew up. When I came out my car was sealed in by cars on either side that were diagonally parked, so I couldn't get out. I had to pick up my car and reorient it so I could get out. That's when I noticed I have five tickets sitting my windshield. "Christ," I thought " I was only in there a couple of hours. How could I have five tickets for parking illegally?" But they weren't parking tickets. One was because my car's headlights weren't properly protected. "Can I hold my dealership accountable for this? How was I supposed to know that I need to properly protect my headlights?" "God, picking a car and reorienting it by yourself is a hard. I'm sure my fingers are never going to forgive me."
stessier

Post by stessier »

LordMortis wrote:I suddenly remember a snippet from my dream last night. I parallel parked in a diagonal parking area in the town next to the town where I grew up. When I came out my car was sealed in by cars on either side that were diagonally parked, so I couldn't get out. I had to pick up my car and reorient it so I could get out. That's when I noticed I have five tickets sitting my windshield. "Christ," I thought " I was only in there a couple of hours. How could I have five tickets for parking illegally?" But they weren't parking tickets. One was because my car's headlights weren't properly protected. "Can I hold my dealership accountable for this? How was I supposed to know that I need to properly protect my headlights?" "God, picking a car and reorienting it by yourself is a hard. I'm sure my fingers are never going to forgive me."
There's a penis joke in there somewhere...
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

stessier wrote:There's a penis joke in there somewhere...
Just because some of us weren't born as well endowed as most doesn't mean you have to make fun. Is it any wonder I have such a low self esteem? Doodoo pants. :tjg:
stessier

Post by stessier »

LordMortis wrote:Just because some of us weren't born as well endowed as most doesn't mean you have to make fun. Is it any wonder I have such a low self esteem? Doodoo pants. :tjg:
I was thinking something around this.
LordMortis wrote: "God, picking a car and reorienting it by yourself is a hard. I'm sure my fingers are never going to forgive me."
Which lends me to think you have a little too much self esteem, or maybe I have too little. I'm very conflicted about the whole thing.
qp

Post by qp »

I am in awe...

Spot Light and Light Box in ZBrush 4

GoZ - Not as gee whiz impressive, but probably an even more important addition! And it's all free (for existing users)! Integration into Cinema4D, oh hell yes!
Five Archers Corporation
@FiveArchers on Twitter!
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

stessier wrote:
LordMortis wrote:I suddenly remember a snippet from my dream last night. I parallel parked in a diagonal parking area in the town next to the town where I grew up. When I came out my car was sealed in by cars on either side that were diagonally parked, so I couldn't get out. I had to pick up my car and reorient it so I could get out. That's when I noticed I have five tickets sitting my windshield. "Christ," I thought " I was only in there a couple of hours. How could I have five tickets for parking illegally?" But they weren't parking tickets. One was because my car's headlights weren't properly protected. "Can I hold my dealership accountable for this? How was I supposed to know that I need to properly protect my headlights?" "God, picking a car and reorienting it by yourself is a hard. I'm sure my fingers are never going to forgive me."
There's a penis joke in there somewhere...
Not surprising you are having a hard time finding it.........
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
stessier

Post by stessier »

Well played, sir.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

stessier wrote:Well played, sir.
chaosraven informs me that Remus is an expert at playing with penis, whether hard to find or not.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

LordMortis wrote:
stessier wrote:Well played, sir.
chaosraven informs me that Remus is an expert at playing with penis, whether hard to find or not.
Through 27+ years of friendship I am very proud to make it know that I have never once laid eyes (or any other body part, perv) upon muppet. Although I am disturbed to admit that I know what he named it, of course you now share that issue.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

During Playoff season in Detroit, everyone has cheap Wings to get people to come in to the bars and drink beer to watch the games (even when it's not the Red Wings in playoffs, they just sort of set tradition). What do people do in other towns?

I discovered way to late that on Tuesdays a bar near my house has dollar bottled beers. I could have been doing dollar beers on Tuesdays all through the playoffs at fairly comfy bar. Pisser. This last Tuesday I watched the game, had four beers, and ate a bar food dinner for eleven bucks after tip.
Hiccup

Post by Hiccup »

LordMortis wrote:During Playoff season in Detroit, everyone has cheap Wings to get people to come in to the bars and drink beer to watch the games (even when it's not the Red Wings in playoffs, they just sort of set tradition). What do people do in other towns?
Nothing in MN, though the idea of bars having cheap Twins would get me there in a heartbeat.
"Adam was but human - this explains it all. He did not want the apple for the apple's sake, he wanted it only because it was forbidden. The mistake was in not forbidding the serpent; then he would have eaten the serpent."
-- Mark Twain .

XBL: Hiccup1
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Hiccup wrote:Nothing in MN, though the idea of bars having cheap Twins would get me there in a heartbeat.
I like it. It might be time to move to Minnesota then. How's the job market?
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

stessier wrote:There's a penis joke in there somewhere...
That's what she said ?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I hate the guy at work who expects that I somehow know the name and password and configuration for and how to use a client server application that I've never touched before when he needs to do something on the system because I am "the IT guy". This shit really begins to piss me off after a while.

Gym Shorts is the Lions new head coach. They were unintentionally giving him rave reviews on the on the radio this morning. I guess he was at MIS over the weekend and was spotted hanging out with Kid Rock. While trying to envelop himself in the local culture he has apparently shown himself to be metal head and a chess geek. That combo can make for a pretty fascinating person when it comes to approaches for problem solving. I am a little psyched to see what he will do and how much control he will get over his team and how much control Bill Ford will let Martin Chewie have and how much of that control will filter down Gym Shorts.

One day I will remember to buy one of those dish scrub brush sponges that waste a ton of dishwasher detergent. Those things rock.

I think my equilibrium might be broken. You know when you are really tired and start to doze off but you don't actually doze off but rather just go through the motions of almost falling asleep? And you get the not quite bed spinny feel of not quite being high? Since Thursday (I think), that falling asleep, spinny, not quite dizzy, not quite high feeling happens to my head just about every time I turn it. I'm not sure if this is cool or something I should be worried about.
Tscott

Post by Tscott »

I can extrude hair, but I can't retract it.
She's the puzzle piece behind the couch that makes the sky complete.
Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

The worst part of doing the lawn is the first pass around the edge where all the thorn bushes protrude from. This time they went too far in slicing up my arm. They have been subsequently hacked to pieces and lie in a heap in the woods across the street.

Fuckers. :evil:
18-1™ & 2-0
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Oh, and I forgot to mention. Don't sit down and watch TCM. I suckered in to a marathon of Carey Grant, Cary Cooper, and Humphry Boggart movies over the weekend. I easily forget how much I love the Hollywood of old. The days of spinning narratives in a presentation over making a "real" story. That and I think Lauren Becall might have been the most beautiful woman in all of history.