Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Re: Random randomness

Post by Daehawk »

Malls 1989

Also his new book with even more photos. He said he was 19 then..I was 18. Fun times. Theres a small video there too.

https://rumur.com/the-decline-of-mall-civilization/

More pics from the fund raiser page.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ru ... l-galinsky

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I remember malls in the 60s in southern California. They never really changed much except for getting bigger. Except for beasts like the Mall of America.
Then came Amazon..................
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

There is a mall 1.5 miles from me. Last week I had to go there (don't ask) for the first time in six years. It wasn't as dreadful as I remembered it being...in fact, it was kind of sad, like retail's last stand. There was even a Sears.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I will never understand why Amazon now wants to do brick and mortar stores.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

They quoted, for the same damn thing, an open license, a volume license and a business license. I wanted to pull hair out before I got the final pricing I needed. :grund:
Covfefe!
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

YOUR ALL TO TO GET ME!!!!!!!
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Jaymann wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:23 pm I will never understand why Amazon now wants to do brick and mortar stores.
Both name recognition, AND its ability to predict demand (and retail would help it predict demand in the area too). Its logistics and predictive algorithm would help it beat "traditional" retail that relies on advertising and aisle end displays and impulse buying.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

RC Plane powered by electric leaf blower https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMvppuS ... _rel_pause
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Hodor.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I hate the way tv portrays stuff these days. I watched an ep of NCIS and in it these two businesses were at each others throats accusing each other of stuff. On one side a father and daughter had their cousin killed because of it. So the girl and 2 of her buds go and plant bombs on the other company property to blow it up. Turns out there were 2 employees there they didn't know about. Anyways NCIS stops them and saves the day but the lead ncis takes a shine to the girl for her spunk I guess and the girl ends up on parole...I mean thats terrorism, attempted murder, attempted destruction of property and something else Im sure and then the bombs were a felony Im sure. Parole.

Then near the end of the show the girl finds out who really is behind it all..a 3rd place...and goes with a gun there to kill the guy. The NCIS woman shows up and stops her but not before the girl pulls the gun on her and threatens to kill her. Nothing happened about that. In the end the girl is still running around free and the NCIS agent is smiling at her telling her how brave she is.

This girl threatened a agent with a handgun, went to murder someone, made and planted bombs, and would have destroyed a place and people in it. And nothing happened to her and she's patted on the back. When the hell did tv start making criminals the victim? Ugh no wonder the country has so much trouble.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Speaking of portrayals, and technology in particular, there's one movie that got it bang on, and that's the Swedish version of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, though I don't know if it's also done that way in the English remake. I literally cheered when Blomkvist said he couldn't zoom in on the image because it was too blurry. That little detail, Oh yeah! Take that, NCIS with your infinity zooms!
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Kasey Chang wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:05 am
Jaymann wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:23 pm I will never understand why Amazon now wants to do brick and mortar stores.
Both name recognition, AND its ability to predict demand (and retail would help it predict demand in the area too). Its logistics and predictive algorithm would help it beat "traditional" retail that relies on advertising and aisle end displays and impulse buying.
After coming full circle on mail order, we're making a second pass. Amazon has seemingly built/leveraged a better system of logistics. Next they build/leverage their logistics network in to store fronts while expanding their personnel and ability to warehouse only marginally, allowing them to compete local megastores (in my case Meijer and WalMart) as well specialty mega stores.

They're playing the long game on the US biggest city builder/tycoon game. Expand market share. Expand market. Expand offerings.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:06 am I hate the way tv portrays stuff these days. I watched an ep of NCIS and in it these two businesses were at each others throats accusing each other of stuff. On one side a father and daughter had their cousin killed because of it. So the girl and 2 of her buds go and plant bombs on the other company property to blow it up. Turns out there were 2 employees there they didn't know about. Anyways NCIS stops them and saves the day but the lead ncis takes a shine to the girl for her spunk I guess and the girl ends up on parole...I mean thats terrorism, attempted murder, attempted destruction of property and something else Im sure and then the bombs were a felony Im sure. Parole.

Then near the end of the show the girl finds out who really is behind it all..a 3rd place...and goes with a gun there to kill the guy. The NCIS woman shows up and stops her but not before the girl pulls the gun on her and threatens to kill her. Nothing happened about that. In the end the girl is still running around free and the NCIS agent is smiling at her telling her how brave she is.

This girl threatened a agent with a handgun, went to murder someone, made and planted bombs, and would have destroyed a place and people in it. And nothing happened to her and she's patted on the back. When the hell did tv start making criminals the victim? Ugh no wonder the country has so much trouble.
At what point did you find TV did a good job at portraying reality?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

stessier wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:03 pm
Daehawk wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:06 am I hate the way tv portrays stuff these days. I watched an ep of NCIS and in it these two businesses were at each others throats accusing each other of stuff. On one side a father and daughter had their cousin killed because of it. So the girl and 2 of her buds go and plant bombs on the other company property to blow it up. Turns out there were 2 employees there they didn't know about. Anyways NCIS stops them and saves the day but the lead ncis takes a shine to the girl for her spunk I guess and the girl ends up on parole...I mean thats terrorism, attempted murder, attempted destruction of property and something else Im sure and then the bombs were a felony Im sure. Parole.

At what point did you find TV did a good job at portraying reality?
Probably with Andy Rooney.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Chick-fil-A stop donations to anti-LGBTQ organizations

Chick-fil-A is making major changes to its charitable foundation, ending donations to two organizations that have been criticized for being anti-LGBTQ.

The fast-food chain announced Monday that beginning next year it will only donate to a certain group of charities. That list no longer includes the Salvation Army and the Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA). Both organizations have taken controversial stands on homosexuality and same-sex marriage.

In 2018, the Chick-fil-A foundation donated $1.65 million to the FCA and $115,000 to The Salvation Army, the company revealed Monday.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

How can something be extra virgin? I thought virginity was a binary function.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

My wife was a tv watcher. I had the pc she had the tv. I watched a few eps of shows off and on with her but basically had given up tv. Well since her passing Ive taken over a lot of the shows she / we watched.

One of them is The Rookie. its Nathan Fillion. A couple weeks back both the guys from his other show Castle was on in different roles. And now the one from last night I recorded has Wash in it from Firefly. Neat to see him with these people again even in different roles. I bet they had a lot of fun.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Altho I don't regularly what TV (except for the local news) I do think there are some interesting shows out there. It' the long and frequent commercials that drive me away.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

dbt1949 wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:44 pm Altho I don't regularly what TV (except for the local news) I do think there are some interesting shows out there. It' the long and frequent commercials that drive me away.
Same. Its why I never just watch something. I learned from my wife that the reason she recorded stuff was to skip commercials. Ive now learned the truth of that. I cant take sitting through an extra 15 minutes or more of ads. I swear Jeopardy would be 15 min without ads.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

One thing I enjoy about watching old TV series is spotting actors I know from other work. We just finished the second season of Dexter, which puts it in 2008, and already we've seen (besides Dexter himself, who was on Six Feet Under) Darla from Buffy; HG Wells from The Warehouse; the dude who played the ex-president on Designated Survivor; Jonathan Banks; Keith Carradine from, like, everything; Mark Pellegrino from Lost, Being Human, and a bunch of other shows...and we've got six more seasons to go. Same thing pertains to watching old movies, especially during the studio era, when studios contractually owned stables of actors -- the same faces crop up over and over again, and you come to know their careers.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

That was one of the things about the early Twilight Zones.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I just watched some videos on the way English sounds over the years from Olde English to Middle English to Modern English. Now I have a headache and my ears hurt.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:56 pm I just watched some videos on the way English sounds over the years from Olde English to Middle English to Modern English. Now I have a headache and my ears hurt.
I always found it fascinating. Like listening to Anglo-Saxon while being able to see the written text at the same time. It shows why we have so many silent letters (they weren't originally silent) or inconsistent pronunciations (we've changed out some of them were pronounced. IE - "A mouse in the house" would be "A moosah in the hoosah", with the th in 'the' sounding like the th in 'with.'
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I simply cannot hear anyone pronounce the new Mustang Mach E and not hear Mustang Marquee.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Not the Mustang Maquis?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Bots are fast. The thread I just started had 4 views by the time my screen refreshed.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

This is my boom stick.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

We all know about dogs being able to sniff out cancer. In tests they find cancer cells in blood 97% correctly. But this womans dog has sniffed out cancer in her 3 times. The dog sniffs at the correct spot and so early as to be undetectable by a normal scan but turned out to be there. The first time was stage 3 ovarian cancer because the woman didn't pay attention the first time. When she did it again in her liver she went to the doctors right away. Her dog is why she is still alive today. :)

https://abc7.com/pets-animals/woman-say ... s/5706995/
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

hahahahah I just got a call from California. I usually never answer the phone but I was doing nothing and decided to see what it was. A computer starts telling me its Social Security and they've started legal action against me and a warrant for my arrest has been filed. I started laughing so hard I hung up and didn't get to hear the rest of its spiel. Dangit lol. hahahaha. Im still laughing.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I had a call from some Indain woman scammer today. Told her off and hung up on her like always.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

John Mann of Canadian band Spirit of the West has passed away at the age of 57. He had Alzheimer's. Too young. Way too young :(

https://www.thestar.com/entertainment/m ... at-57.html
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
raydude

Post by raydude »

I ordered a 10.25" cast iron skillet from Amazon while my wife is away at a conference. She will be very annoyed that I got it. The last one I bought several years ago rusted due to a lack of proper maintenance and because my Dad was trying to be helpful and cleaned it with soap and water. She will consider it a waste of money because in her mind this will only rust as the last one did.

But I've been watching how-to videos on taking care of a cast-iron skillet and I really want to use it for cooking steak and other meat. And this time I'm making sure no one else uses and cleans it but me.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

How badly did it rust that you couldn't recover it? There are lots of youtube videos on restoring cast iron. I've watched ones where they pulled out one that was neglected for decades and managed to fully restore it.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Cast iron cookware never ruins. It always is cleanable.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:12 pm Cast iron cookware never ruins. It always is cleanable.
I needed cookware when I moved away to college, so I offered to take my mom's old cast-iron skillet. This was when Teflon was all the rage and cast iron was a throwback to the olden days. She was reluctant to give up her "spider," but I insisted and she relented.

I had no idea how to care for it and soon ruined it by letting it soak in soapy water. When it started to rust, I took steel wool to it. Pretty sure it was a lost cause after I scrubbed it down to raw iron. I threw it away, anyway, because it was just a block of rust at that point.

Sorry, mom. I wish I could take that back, or at least admit that you were right and apologize for being so bullheaded.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Nooo you threw away a good pan . Old ones are sought after.

Also I was thinking about that opening chase scene in Mad Max. You're out having a fun drive with the police when suddenly you start crying and a Nike rocket attaches itself to your car.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

A church in Mexico just unveiled its new baby Jesus statue. Wow thats uncanny.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... ns-915550/

Enlarge Image
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:11 pm hahahahah I just got a call from California. I usually never answer the phone but I was doing nothing and decided to see what it was. A computer starts telling me its Social Security and they've started legal action against me and a warrant for my arrest has been filed. I started laughing so hard I hung up and didn't get to hear the rest of its spiel. Dangit lol. hahahaha. Im still laughing.
I don't answer the phone unless its a number I recognize.
when I check my voice mail, if its legit, I add the number to my contacts. more than half my calls are spam, well more than half.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

raydude wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:35 am I ordered a 10.25" cast iron skillet from Amazon while my wife is away at a conference. She will be very annoyed that I got it. The last one I bought several years ago rusted due to a lack of proper maintenance and because my Dad was trying to be helpful and cleaned it with soap and water. She will consider it a waste of money because in her mind this will only rust as the last one did.

But I've been watching how-to videos on taking care of a cast-iron skillet and I really want to use it for cooking steak and other meat. And this time I'm making sure no one else uses and cleans it but me.
sorry to pile on, but too bad you threw away that other one in your ignorance. these can be easily restored.

edjumacate your wife on scientifics - cast iron pan with an oil coating ftw. i'll take one of these over modern teflon-coated pans anytime (despite the heaviness and handles that heat up)
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

hitbyambulance wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:13 pm i'll take one of these over modern teflon-coated pans anytime (despite the heaviness and handles that heat up)
You ever fucks with carbon steel pans? They are my new favorite.