Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

LordMortis

Re: Random randomness

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:46 pm 1988 is now throwback level? This is almost as depressing as when I heard Nirvana and Pearl Jam on my classic rock radio station 13+ years ago. :(

Why wouldn't 88 be throwback? "Kids" born in 88 would be 31+ years old. You'd have to be nearly 40 to have any real subtantial memory of what 88 was like. Younger than that and they might be able to tell you what style of tennis shoe was their thing. And then let's talk about the height of fashion for those who could afford it and had the urge. That's what UMen, Big hair, mullets?

Enlarge Image

(also if you google "80s fashion" the Internet believe every one lived on the sets of Fresh Prince and Saved by the Bell. That was not the case where I was)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:46 pmWhy wouldn't 88 be throwback?
Because it's all about me and if 1988 is a throwback, that means I'm old. I'm the anti-Keanu in my ability to externalize. :D
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:50 pm I'm the anti-Keanu in my ability to externalize. :D
:lol:
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

88 in my world was the birth of the flannel as choice, scrubs as loungewear, cutting the sleeves off of Tshirts (usually obtained for free from cigarette companies), intentionally ripped of faded jeans, and college kids all wearing sweats everywhere except the bar... And Aquanet, Ausssie, and Drakker Noir, filled the air everywhere you went. Enough to trigger my asthma, even more than every where being smoke filled.

88 was also the coming of age year for me so I remember it vividly. It was the year learning in addition to pop vs rock vs country there was Ministry and NIN and Sinead OConnner and Front 242 and Jane's Addiction and the Misfits and Bauhaus... The whole world hidden just below the surface was just revealing itself to me. AKA there was an alternative and was better than everything for my $10 a pop. So I definitely see it as throwback. How relephant is any of that stuff now?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

1988 was when I learned about the true Holy Trinity.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Du fuk?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:13 pm 1988 was when I learned about the true Holy Trinity.

1988 Mojo Nixon in my brain would be (notice the "fashion")

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yup. That's where it all started. Musically, 1988 was transformative for me. Again, all about me. :D
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

1988 was a wild and reckless year for me.

I took a year off after high school before college and was a pretty crazy individual. I skated city pools that were all closed because of budget cuts during the day and dropped acid and went to shows a couple times a week at night. I worked two jobs that whole year and saved exactly zero dollars.

The year culminated in a night much like this one. Why, it was exactly 31 years ago today! It was the night I hung out with The Butthole Surfers on my birthday. Second greatest day of my life and I'm still permanently imprinted and a lifelong fan.

This is what THEY were up to at that time, two weeks after my time with them. I totally made out with the drummer that night...

Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

1988 was when I could first (legally) drink adult beverages, and also when I met my wife.
Conform or be cast out!
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

seeing the Surfers pre-Independent-Worm-Saloon/Jesus-Built-My-Hot-Rod-guest-appearance would've been great. ah well
Holman

Post by Holman »

Z-Corn wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:44 pm This is what THEY were up to at that time, two weeks after my time with them. I totally made out with the drummer that night...
Holy cow! Was this Teresa Nervosa? I know her mostly from her star turn in SLACKER.

The closest I can come to this is the time I danced close with a very drunk/high Michael Stipe at a little Indigo Girls show in 1989.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Holman wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:06 pm
Z-Corn wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:44 pm This is what THEY were up to at that time, two weeks after my time with them. I totally made out with the drummer that night...
Holy cow! Was this Teresa Nervosa? I know her mostly from her star turn in SLACKER.
Yup!

Before the show I walked her to the corner gas station so she could buy smokes and we made out because it was my birthday.

They still had their dancer Kathleen at the time and it was a BIG deal that she talked to me. She hadn't spoken at all for weeks. She totally wanted me to but I was scared of her. When the show started and she came out naked I kicked myself for not talking to her more.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

NBC News
One person was killed and 10 others were sickened in a chemical accident at a Buffalo Wild Wings restaurant Thursday in Burlington, Massachusetts, authorities said.

A restaurant employee was rushed to a hospital after being exposed to sodium hypochlorite, a powerful cleaning agent, and died shortly thereafter, Michael Patterson, assistant chief of the Burlington Fire Department, told reporters. The worker told firefighters that he was feeling nauseated after breathing in fumes.
Two customers and eight other employees were treated at hospitals, Patterson said. They were believed to have not been seriously stricken, he said.

"What we believe happened is a worker at Buffalo Wild Wings used a cleaning agent on the floor. The cleaning agent is Super 8. The chemical definition or chemical identification is sodium hypochlorite," Patterson said. "What sodium hypochlorite is a high concentration of chlorine."
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Some assisted care place gave about 10 people an injection of insulin instead of the flu shot.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/07/us/oklah ... index.html
Ten people at a care facility in Oklahoma were hospitalized after they were injected with insulin instead of a flu shot, police said.
Eight of the patients were residents of Jacquelyn House and two were employees, Sgt. Jim Warring, with Bartlesville Police Department told CNN. The facility serves intellectually and developmentally disabled people, according to the website of AbilityWorks, the company that owns the eight-resident site.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

8-resident site and 8 patients injected. So all of them.

That's pretty hard to do, inject the wrong thing. There are strict protocols and triple checks, even for something like the flu shot. They obviously were blowing off the rules.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Sounds like they were pre-filling syringes and someone grabbed the wrong bottle.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:07 am NBC News
One person was killed and 10 others were sickened in a chemical accident at a Buffalo Wild Wings restaurant Thursday in Burlington, Massachusetts, authorities said.

A restaurant employee was rushed to a hospital after being exposed to sodium hypochlorite, a powerful cleaning agent, and died shortly thereafter, Michael Patterson, assistant chief of the Burlington Fire Department, told reporters. The worker told firefighters that he was feeling nauseated after breathing in fumes.
Two customers and eight other employees were treated at hospitals, Patterson said. They were believed to have not been seriously stricken, he said.

"What we believe happened is a worker at Buffalo Wild Wings used a cleaning agent on the floor. The cleaning agent is Super 8. The chemical definition or chemical identification is sodium hypochlorite," Patterson said. "What sodium hypochlorite is a high concentration of chlorine."
Super 8 SDS (pdf)

Maybe got mixed with something. Amonia maybe?
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

That does seem strange. I'm not familiar with Super 8, but a quick search suggests it's primarily used in dish washing machines and/or dispensed into a 3 bay sink. In other words, not a floor cleaner. I would expect any chlorine gas generated to sink to the floor, so unless this guy was crawling on the ground or had giant fans aimed at the floor to dry it and that was blowing air upwards, its definitely a mystery.
Last edited by Smoove_B on Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:39 am Sounds like they were pre-filling syringes and someone grabbed the wrong bottle.
I thought multi-dose vials of flu vaccine were a thing of the past. I guess they could still be out there.

MYT
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I thought we still used them here in NJ at influenza clinics (When we're expecting 100+ people rushing through), but maybe I'm wrong.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:43 am That does seem strange. I'm not familiar with Super 8, but a quick search suggests it's primarily used in dish washing machines and/or dispensed into a 3 bay sink. In other words, not a floor cleaner. I would expect any chlorine gas generated to sink to the floor, so unless this guy was crawling on the ground or had giant fans aimed at the floor to dry it and that was blowing air upwards, its definitely a mystery.
But if he just poured some on the ground, and hoping to add water to it later, figuring cleaner is cleaner... and was quickly overcame with the fumes before he can dilute it...
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:46 am I thought we still used them here in NJ at influenza clinics (When we're expecting 100+ people rushing through), but maybe I'm wrong.
Almost all US clinics have switched to single-dose flu shots.

The multi-dose seems to be reserved for really remote clinics or large clinics. They are controversial because they still contain thimerosal preservative.

I think I read that 25% of all flu vaccines are still multi-dose.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Kasey Chang wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:52 amThe multi-dose seems to be reserved for really remote clinics or large clinics.
That's my wheelhouse. :wink: However, I think in the next ~5 years they could all be gone. Thanks pharmacists!
They are controversial because they still contain thimerosal preservative.
Which is why it's so easy to tell which children attended flu clinics and received a multi-dose version vs those that received a pre-filled version from a pharmacist or doctor. :D
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Kasey Chang wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:51 amBut if he just poured some on the ground, and hoping to add water to it later, figuring cleaner is cleaner... and was quickly overcame with the fumes before he can dilute it...
Maybe. I'd need a chemist to tell me that's possible. The proposed scenario seems likely, but I just don't believe a high enough concentration of chlorine gas would be generated at head-height to cause death. Clearly something happened and it's an awful story. When I saw the headline I was half expecting to read it was accidentally used in a drink mix. Not that this is better, but I can't think of any story where something like this happened in a restaurant.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Kasey Chang wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:51 am
Smoove_B wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:43 am That does seem strange. I'm not familiar with Super 8, but a quick search suggests it's primarily used in dish washing machines and/or dispensed into a 3 bay sink. In other words, not a floor cleaner. I would expect any chlorine gas generated to sink to the floor, so unless this guy was crawling on the ground or had giant fans aimed at the floor to dry it and that was blowing air upwards, its definitely a mystery.
But if he just poured some on the ground, and hoping to add water to it later, figuring cleaner is cleaner... and was quickly overcame with the fumes before he can dilute it...
Actually, it is a floor cleaner. And a no-rinse necessary type, but from the SDS (at the link), it doesn't seem like adding water is a problem. Acids are a problem, though.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

stessier wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:30 pmActually, it is a floor cleaner. And a no-rinse necessary type, but from the SDS (at the link), it doesn't seem like adding water is a problem. Acids are a problem, though.
Are we seeing different things?
EPA registered sanitizer for low temperature warewashing and food contact surface sanitizing
Specially designed for use in mechanical or hand dishwashing operations
Suitable for use as a destainer when dispensed into the hot water wash tanks of dishwashing machines
This product is an EPA registered, low temp sodium hypochlorite solution for sanitization in the Food Processing and Food Service industry. It is an effective sanitizer for utensils, glassware, equipment and as a terminal sanitizing rinse in machine dishwashing. It may also be used manually as a “third sink” sanitizer or as a spray sanitizer.
Floors are not "Food contact surfaces", at least in my parlance. :wink:

EDIT: In reading other stories, it sounds like Individual A put this chemical into a mop bucket with the intention of cleaning the floor. After doing so, they started to experience respiratory distress so they left the bucket and area where they were working. Individual B went into the area Individual A just left to try and remove the mop bucket and open the rear door and was overcome with fumes. So that could mean Individual A added ammonia to the mop bucket -or- there was already ammonia in mop bucket and they didn't realize it. That being said, ammonia is not a common chemical I've seen in commercial kitchens, but this was a chain restaurant so who knows (they might have required it).
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

They don't call it Buffalo Wild Wings because you eat off of things like plates and tables...

MYT
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Z-Corn wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:29 am
Yup!

Before the show I walked her to the corner gas station so she could buy smokes and we made out because it was my birthday.

They still had their dancer Kathleen at the time and it was a BIG deal that she talked to me. She hadn't spoken at all for weeks. She totally wanted me to but I was scared of her. When the show started and she came out naked I kicked myself for not talking to her more.
I really hope you got a penicillin shot the next day.......
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

stimpy wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:27 pm
Z-Corn wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:29 am
Yup!

I really hope you got a penicillin shot the next day.......
There was some guy that showed up from Detroit with homemade absinthe. I'm sure drinking that killed any infections that tried to take hold that night.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Those are two words I don't often see together - homemade and absinthe. It's like, "hey, how can we make this alcohol even more dangerous? I know, let's add our own supplemental toxin!"
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

As soon as I took a sip fireworks exploded behind my eyes. That thujone made my synapses FIRE!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Maybe you can have a conversation with your dog one day.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2019/11/0 ... ds-vpx.cnn

I wonder if a dolphin would be even better.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Z-Corn wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:24 pm As soon as I took a sip fireworks exploded behind my eyes. That thujone made my synapses FIRE!
Doing something I wasn't supposed to do :ninja: at a tJaMC show at the Latin Quarter in 89, fireworks and amps set to full volume when they left stage made synapses fire... and probably contributed greatly to my hearing loss. I resent the band a bit for that. It was a dick move to the people who buy your music, merchandise, and tickets to your show. But of course "that's punk." Even at 18 or 19, that's a big :roll: from me.

Was there any other kind of absinthe around the Great Lakes in 88 for a kid? I'm pretty sure it was illegal and if you had something "real" it would have been smuggled from Europe for more money than any kid ever heard of paying.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

IBM’s Robert H. Dennard and the Chip That Changed the World
he inspiration, as is often the case, came late one evening. Bob Dennard, then a 34-year-old IBM electrical engineer, was pondering a colleague’s research presentation he’d seen earlier that day.

It was autumn 1966, and Dennard had been helping design a new form of computer memory using silicon-based transistors. This approach, known as microelectronics, would stand in contrast to the computer industry’s tradition of storing data magnetically – a technology referred to as core memory. The presentation that Dennard had listened to with a trace of envy was by a competing team of IBM engineers at work on new, smaller forms of magnetic storage.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:02 pm
Was there any other kind of absinthe around the Great Lakes in 88 for a kid? I'm pretty sure it was illegal and if you had something "real" it would have been smuggled from Europe for more money than any kid ever heard of paying.
Thus the homemade stuff. Usually Jager with everclear and a few odds and ends. "Hey look, I'm Lord Byron!!!!"

MYT
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I had an artemesia growing outside my house for years. It's the 'special' ingredient in absinthe, but I never made any.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Holman

Post by Holman »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:44 pm I had an artemesia growing outside my house for years. It's the 'special' ingredient in absinthe, but I never made any.
[Hamlet]
Wormwood, wormwood!
[/Hamlet]
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:02 pm Was there any other kind of absinthe around the Great Lakes in 88 for a kid? I'm pretty sure it was illegal and if you had something "real" it would have been smuggled from Europe for more money than any kid ever heard of paying.
I said Detroit earlier, now I remember this dude was from Lansing. And these were grown-ass freaks, not kids.

They gave us half-pint bottles and splitting one of those was enough to make the fireworks.

The band got theirs in Scope bottles because they were going to Canada the next day.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

News is reporting on that Wild Wings chemical death as an employee having chlorine bleach-based product, Super 8 on the floor to clean it and somehow the acid-based cleaner Scale Kleen got kicked over and mixed with it. Other sites claim they were both put on the floor. Shrug.