Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Kasey Chang

Re: Random randomness

Post by Kasey Chang »

My landlord is here. Putting a ruler next to the hole revealed it's actually 4 sqft (2x2)
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Holman

Post by Holman »

Kasey Chang wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:30 pm My bedroom's ceiling caved in and now I have a 1 ft hole over my bed. This happened Friday afternoon, when I wasn't there. Now my bed is full of plaster. Looks like I have to move rooms again.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/dvTo1m2JzopqP65e7
I'm concerned that more than just plaster fell out of there. Looks like some mold and rot.

You sure you wanna breathe it?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Holman wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:56 pm You sure you wanna breathe it?
I'm moving to a neighboring room permanently. Will take me a week or two to move all my stuff across though.

The *funny* (or not so funny) part is the room I'm taking over was originally my room, and actually has an outside window (not that there's much to see). My "previous" room doesn't. Gets really warm at night, and I practically have to keep the fan on to sleep. My dad's girlfriend (who no longer lives here) wanted to move her friend in and friend demanded a window room. And they basically kicked me out of my own room while I was out at work. Now I get to move back in. *sigh*
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

How old are you again ?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:27 pm
Kasey Chang wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:34 pm In other news... white security guard pulled gun on black deputy in full LEO uniform.

https://www.theroot.com/watch-white-sec ... 1836356876
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't an IRS building be a Federal building, and isn't it illegal to carry a firearm into a Federal building unless you're there for official business - and the cop was there as a civilian? Was this a case of maybe an overzealous security guard trying to do his job and a cop refusing to cooperate, more than a white guy pulling a gun on a black guy?
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
hepcat

Re: Random randomnessThe

Post by hepcat »

The cop was in uniform. There is no situation I can think of in which an on duty cop has to leave his firearm in his squad car. The rent a cop was in the wrong the moment he drew that gun.
Covfefe!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Re: Random randomnessThe

Post by LawBeefaroni »

hepcat wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:02 am The cop was in uniform. There is no situation I can think of in which an on duty cop has to leave his firearm in his squad car. The rent a cop was in the wrong the moment he drew that gun.
They're actually not allowed to leave it in the car. If they're in uniform they have to be armed.

What I don't get is why we have armed private security on federal buildings. And why their training is so poor.

Oh wait, I do know. It's cheaper than hiring and training your own.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Paingod wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:02 am [
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't an IRS building be a Federal building, and isn't it illegal to carry a firearm into a Federal building unless you're there for official business - and the cop was there as a civilian? Was this a case of maybe an overzealous security guard trying to do his job and a cop refusing to cooperate, more than a white guy pulling a gun on a black guy?
Well, the cop is on duty but on break.

As long as he's in uniform, he's on duty. As least that's what I've been told.
Holman

Post by Holman »

A uniformed cop walking into a Starbucks for coffee isn't there due to a call but is still on duty.

Beat cops are expected to enter businesses and public spaces. I don't think purchases or other appropriate transactions are prohibited.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Holman wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:34 pm A uniformed cop walking into a Starbucks for coffee isn't there due to a call but is still on duty.

Beat cops are expected to enter businesses and public spaces. I don't think purchases or other appropriate transactions are prohibited.
Said every donut shop ever.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Mostly because when someone sees a uniformed cop, there is a certain expectation as to their ability to handle certain situations. People will make life-and-death decisions based on that expectation.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Kasey Chang wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:22 pmAs long as he's in uniform, he's on duty. As least that's what I've been told.
This theory has been in my head all morning. I get the "On Duty, In Uniform" part, but when you enter a Federal Building you're supposed to relinquish your firearms unless you're there in an official capacity.

What I have playing in my head is two scenarios.

In the first one, the security guard sees a cop walk in and asks him why he's there. I've worked security before and this is the sort of thing you're supposed to do. You don't challenge the authorities, but need to know why they're there. You're expected to render assistance as needed. The cop says he's there to handle some menial personal thing. The guard asks him to leave his gun outside, because the guard has probably had this drilled into his head at every quarterly meeting. The cop refuses and enters the building. The security guard overreacts and draws his gun, making a scene. The cop continues to refuse to comply because he's a cop and doesn't think he needs to, even though he's now operating outside the law.

In the second one, a black cop walks into a building and the white guard flakes out, draws his gun, and follows the cop around with it aimed at him. This is the story the article seems to push.

Which scenario makes more sense?
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The second one, after seeing the video.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

18 U.S. Code § 930. Possession of firearms and dangerous weapons in Federal facilities
(a) Except as provided in subsection (d), whoever knowingly possesses or causes to be present a firearm or other dangerous weapon in a Federal facility (other than a Federal court facility), or attempts to do so, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 1 year, or both.
(d) Subsection (a) shall not apply to—
(1) the lawful performance of official duties by an officer, agent, or employee of the United States, a State, or a political subdivision thereof, who is authorized by law to engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, investigation, or prosecution of any violation of law;
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

We could debate whether or not the officer was correct in maintaining his firearm inside the building. What I don't think should be in debate is whether or not it was appropriate for the guard on duty to leave his station and not only confront, but then follow the officer to the elevator, gun drawn. That's absofuckinglutely insane.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

What was he supposed to do, call the cops? :|
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The fact that rent a cop is the one that is facing charges and not the actual cop tells me the cop was probably allowed to carry in that particular federal building (maybe it contains courts).
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

There was no actual threat for him to respond to with lethal force. Unless he can claim that a reasonable person in his position believed that the cop was about to kill someone, which is obviously nonsense.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

"Are you here on official business?"
"No."
"Then you can't bring the firearm."
"Well, I can't leave it in the car."

Fork A:
*Guard draws and freaks out*

Fork B:
"Ok, hang tight, let me check with my supervisor..."
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Was tempted to put this the health thread.

https://www.complex.com/life/2019/07/po ... eth-gators

meth gator says it all
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Florida
The Mainland High School principal will be reprimanded after giving some hundreds of students a previous year's AP test, according to the school board.

An investigation concluded the principal of Mainland High School told teachers not to tell nearly 340 students they were taking tests that would not count for possible college credit. Fewer than 90 students from the AP seminar class took the real test, according to the Department of Education's investigation.

Students didn't know whether they were affected until July 5, when scores were posted online.
Mainland High School Principal Teresa Marcks was found to have violated standards of conduct, according to the school board, and will face disciplinary action.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Client: Can you swing by tomorrow for a quick project meeting?

Me: I'd love to. I can do either 9-10am or 1-2pm. Let me know which time slot works for you.

Client: Great, let's plan for 10:00 (sends meeting invite).

Me: No, I'm available from 9-10. I need to leave by 10 to get to another meeting. Apologies for the misunderstanding

Client: (angry) Then why did you tell us you could meet at 10:00 then??

:grund:
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:52 pm Client: Can you swing by tomorrow for a quick project meeting?

Me: I'd love to. I can do either 9-10am or 1-2pm. Let me know which time slot works for you.

Client: Great, let's plan for 10:00 (sends meeting invite).

Me: No, I'm available from 9-10. I need to leave by 10 to get to another meeting. Apologies for the misunderstanding

Client: (angry) Then why did you tell us you could meet at 10:00 then??

:grund:
i hope you get to shame them for this in person
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Technically you did say you could meet at 10:00, just for less than 1 minute.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I was checking out the Amazon Prime stuff and saw they have a live stream video running and it hit me...Amazon should have a tv channel like QVC to sell their stuff. They could feature sale items or closeouts or just stuff. Kinda surprises me there isn't a Amazon home shopping channel.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:03 pm I was checking out the Amazon Prime stuff and saw they have a live stream video running and it hit me...Amazon should have a tv channel like QVC to sell their stuff. They could feature sale items or closeouts or just stuff. Kinda surprises me there isn't a Amazon home shopping channel.
Comparing QVC's profits to Amazon's will explain it all.
Holman

Post by Holman »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:17 pm "Are you here on official business?"
"No."
"Then you can't bring the firearm."
"Well, I can't leave it in the car."

Fork A:
*Guard draws and freaks out*

Fork B:
"Ok, hang tight, let me check with my supervisor..."
For a lot of armed people, the gun is the supervisor.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:56 pm Was tempted to put this the health thread.

https://www.complex.com/life/2019/07/po ... eth-gators

meth gator says it all
Silver lining: enough meth exposure and the gators will start losing their teeth.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I apparently just destroyed my task chair by sitting on it wrong. The main "seat" cracked in half.

And I bought this chair because it had neck support... And my old chair's seat area the pleather is all peeling off. Eeek. But the chair itself is solid. But no neck rest.

Wonder if I can frakenstein the two chairs together? Hmmm... I doubt I'm gonna be that lucky (the back from one would be compatible with the other)
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Do we have a recipe catch all thread?

I made this Sticky Ginger Soy Glazed Chicken dish last night, and it was awesome. Make this. Eat this.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Kasey Chang wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:21 am I apparently just destroyed my task chair by sitting on it wrong. The main "seat" cracked in half.

And I bought this chair because it had neck support... And my old chair's seat area the pleather is all peeling off. Eeek. But the chair itself is solid. But no neck rest.

Wonder if I can frakenstein the two chairs together? Hmmm... I doubt I'm gonna be that lucky (the back from one would be compatible with the other)
One of the things that I did for years was purchase the extended warranty on chairs that I bought from Staples. Every time they broke/peeled/bottomed-out, they would send me a gift card for the full purchase price, which I would supplement to upgrade the level of chair that I acquired.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:52 am
Kasey Chang wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:21 am I apparently just destroyed my task chair by sitting on it wrong. The main "seat" cracked in half.

One of the things that I did for years was purchase the extended warranty on chairs that I bought from Staples. Every time they broke/peeled/bottomed-out, they would send me a gift card for the full purchase price, which I would supplement to upgrade the level of chair that I acquired.
Start with a folding chair, end up owning the store? :)
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Parked in the manager's office in a Pininfarina Xten.
morlac

Post by morlac »

Do you have any Duct tape? If the answer is yes than you are good to go.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Twice now in the last 6 months mortgage companies have incorrectly spelled my wife's legal name. They've been provided with documentation as to how it is to be spelled, and yet somehow on their end (likely a transcription/data entry issue), they've recorded it incorrectly. When I advise them, they tell me I need to submit to them a written change and provide copies of her passport, birth certificate, driver license, etc... to corroborate the spelling. I point out they have that documentation already (as part of the application) and more to the point, they have legal paperwork on their end that was filed for the loan. All they need to do is pull that paperwork and make the change. But apparently I'm unreasonable for suggesting that and they won't make the change. So I guess we'll find out what happens when I die first and the outstanding mortgage is in the name of someone that doesn't legally exist. You'd think it would be in their best interest (no pun intended) to make sure the names are correct, and yet I'm the asshole for pointing it out.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Just called the people to come and fix my central air conditioner. :dance:
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I lucked out. Only cost me a hundred dollars.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

dbt1949 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:13 pm I lucked out. Only cost me a hundred dollars.
Wow. They charge me more than that to charge mine with coolant. I did have a pan, condensor, and moisture removal pump thingie replace pretty cheap a few years ago as a sort of add on to replacing my furnace. I was floored they put in a new furnace, chimney liner, and the AC stuff I mentioned (which implies charging the unit as well) for $1,600 with a 5 year parts warranty that was also tax deductible. You almost never see me joyful about a $1600 bill but I felt like I won the lottery.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

It was just a capacitor. I've had it replaced on my old AC a couple of times.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

https://www.windy.com/?42.650,-102.217,4,m:eDGadND

A wind map. Zoom in . Click anywhere for current wind speed. Can also download it as a phone app.