Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

dbt1949

Re: Random randomness

Post by dbt1949 »

I was six when I learned to ride a two wheeler. It was a smallish bike my friend had. From there I went to a full size bike my folks got me for $5.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I was probably five. The training wheels I used did not touch the ground when the bike was upright. They were probably an inch off the ground. Enough that I could 'lean' on them when I was learning, but once I got up to speed they would both be just above the surface. If I started to tilt, they'd 'catch' me. I put effort into trying not to let them touch the ground as I rode, and I remember them being removed when it was clear that they weren't touching the ground much anymore.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

My kids finally took to riding bikes this summer - ages 10 and 12 (!). The older one has always been tentative about things... she would have kept ridden her scooter if not for some encouragement. It was driving me crazy that they weren't interested in riding. Then suddenly... done.

That meant I had to buy a bike to ride with them which wasn't easy since COVID spurred a run on bicycles.

(And I feel like I told this story already so my apologies if I did.)

Can't remember when I started riding as a kid. Probably around 5 or 6? 7 or 8? I remember riding around the neighborhood was so much fun. Never got into jumps and wheelies and all of that nonsense.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

My own kids were given bikes while growing up, twice, by their grandparents. They rode them a few times, then forgot about them.

Back then a bike was freedom. It was our ticket to adventure, exploration, socializing, and imagination. It was what you did with your friends (or it was how you got to where you were doing it.) My bike was a bike, but it was also a motorcycle, a horse, a plane, a space ship, a high tech military vehicle (yo Joe!), and whatever else my imagination wanted it to be. Without a bike, you had the block. With a bike, you had the neighborhood and those surrounding it. There was nothing else that filled its niche.

These days most kids have constant access to many of those things, or at least something close enough to scratch the itch. If they want to hang out with their friends, they're going to be online. If they want to imagine they're in space or on a motorcycle, they're going to play a video game. So while bikes are still a fun diversion, they aren't the cultural cornerstone they were for us.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Good Lord mowing in this humidity is oppressive. Its like mowing under the ocean.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Oddly, my lawn has pretty much stopped growing. Yet it's still mostly green. And I water it regularly. Same thing happened last year. I've heard it's the heat.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Holman

Post by Holman »

TheMix wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:42 pm Oddly, my lawn has pretty much stopped growing. Yet it's still mostly green. And I water it regularly. Same thing happened last year. I've heard it's the heat.
Last month I went for three weeks without having to mow because there was no rain. Then we had three wet days and the weeds shot up six inches.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
xwraith

Post by xwraith »

I forgot to call it "a box of pure malevolent evil, a purveyor of
insidious insanity, an eldritch manifestation that would make Bill
Gates let out a low whistle of admiration," but it's all those, too.
-- David Gerard, Re: [Mediawiki-l] Wikitext grammar, 2010.08.06
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

We've been without rain for 3 weeks and the lawn is dormant, which suits me fine. It's a scraggly thing at best. I have to put a LOT of water on my garden to fatten up the green tomatoes, though.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I think we just had an earthquake. Extremely short - maybe 3s, but shook the house pretty well.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
stessier

Post by stessier »

stessier wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:12 am I think we just had an earthquake. Extremely short - maybe 3s, but shook the house pretty well.
It was a 5.1 earthquake centered in Sparta, NC which is a 132 miles away.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

stessier wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:12 am I think we just had an earthquake. Extremely short - maybe 3s, but shook the house pretty well.

If you felt the 5.1 Sparta, NC earthquake then be sure to submit a “Did You Feel It” report.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
xwraith

Post by xwraith »

I forgot to call it "a box of pure malevolent evil, a purveyor of
insidious insanity, an eldritch manifestation that would make Bill
Gates let out a low whistle of admiration," but it's all those, too.
-- David Gerard, Re: [Mediawiki-l] Wikitext grammar, 2010.08.06
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

That was pretty awesome.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

TheMix wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:26 pm That was pretty awesome.
And fucking dark.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:14 pm
TheMix wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:26 pm That was pretty awesome.
And fucking dark.
Yeah. I debated about adding something about that and decided not to. But that ending was harsh.

Black Lives Matter

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I only played about 20 minutes of Portal, but I like that video.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I wonder what the Fonz has been up to.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Gout sucks.

That is all.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Was thinking of Babylon 5 today when my dog started to pee in the floor. I told him "If you value your life, pee somewhere else" :)

Finally got around to my 6 month post op doctor checkup......15 months late. Said I was completely clear of all stones or specks of anything. Also said Im not the type to simply make stones and can avoid them by cutting out or limiting protein, sugar, salt, greens, juice, milk......basically I need to quit eating but then Ill be good :)

At the food store I picked up a big jug of apple cider. The bagboy actually asked me if it was considered beer or wine. Lordy. I guess he couldn't bag it if so as his age was too low. But geez.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:46 pm Was thinking of Babylon 5 today when my dog started to pee in the floor
does dog need to be checked out for possible urinary tract infection?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

No. He is paper trained but he loves to sneak and pee. If you're watching him he goes to his paper. But pay no attention and its the floor. He does it on purpose. Otherwise he is the sweetest smart little guy in the world. He is a rescue. Me and my wife adopted him 5 years ago when he was 7 years old. His previous owner grew old and passed away. Their family took him a few months then surrendered him.

Honestly I dont mind at all. I just clean it up.

I had noticed my big dog who is old now cannot hold it 12 hours. Used to inside he'd go to bed at midnight and Id get up and take him out around 9 10 or 11. If I got up late he still would have it held. Now though he still goes to bed at 12 but if Im not up by 7 or so he has made a small wee. He tries not to. The spot is small..for him. And when I get him outside he goes and goes and goes and goes then walks around and does his spot pees. Feel sorry for him. The chi is older than him lol. And my rat is over a year old. They are all worrying me with their ages. Rats may make 2 if lucky. Big does see 10-15 and small dog 14-20.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Hey look whats been re released!

California Creations The Amazing Wind-up and go Extreme Evel Knievel Stunt Cycle with Energizer Launcher and Stunt Trail Bike - The 1970's Sensation is Back

I wanted the original SO bad but never got one. Lucky me my cousin had one and let me play with it.

hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i had that as a hand-me-down from a cousin, along with the break-apart car
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im a Hellmanns mayo fan through and through. But I could not pass up the buy one get one deal at the store today on Dukes Mayo.

They even had many flavors of Faygo! I got pineapple watermelon.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Most people dont even know what that symbol is from.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:00 pmWhen do you try removing the training wheels?
IIRC, the training wheels for our kids could be adjusted up and down. As we felt the kids got more capable, we raised the wheels slightly. This meant they had to tip a little further to make contact with them. Eventually they didn't really need them and we took them off. A few lessons in the driveway after that was all it took to get them going.

Helmets, knee/elbow pads, though. They fell a few times before getting the hang of turning without spilling. Straight's easy.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:28 pm Im a Hellmanns mayo fan through and through. But I could not pass up the buy one get one deal at the store today on Dukes Mayo.

They even had many flavors of Faygo! I got pineapple watermelon.
Pineapple-watermelon mayo? Gross!

Jokes aside, I'd love to try Faygo if we had it in Ontario. Presuming it didn't make me have to listen to ICP. I'm all about flavours and novelty when it comes to my soda, and junkfood in general. I'll try anything once. Crush and Fanta have a lot of alternate flavours in Canada, but they're hard to find. Usually only some convenience stores carry them in individual cans. I was delighted to recently discover a local burger joint has pineapple Crush.

When I was growing up we only ever bought Miracle Whip, never mayo. (My 91-year-old grandmother calls this "salad dressing".) But since meeting Mrs. Nym, we've been a mayo family; usually Helman's or the local store brand (which is decent). I like to get the olive oil version because I'm duped into believing it has secret health benefits, but Mrs. Nym prefers the regular kind. Generally, there are only two things mayo get used in. Simple tuna salad, and smoked deli turkey sandwiches.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Barely gross medical stuff (dry lips) below. But I still probably wouldn't want to read it while I'm eating....
Spoiler:
I can't stop opening bloody cracks in my lower lip this past month. It's becoming very annoying, if not concerning. I've got medicated Blistex and Nivea balms that I'm applying several times a day, and while they'll sometimes help them heal for a day to two, the issue comes right back. It's to the point that I try to avoid smiling/laughing or opening my mouth wide to eat large food.

I'm used to this in the winter, but never the summer. I'm a bit of a chronic lip licker (which I know dries them out), but probably not too bad. I definitely have a problem with pulling off the dry skin that's already started to peel away. (It feels like it's "not supposed to be there".) I also sleep next to a fan. (Fan death survivor!) This does coincide with when we installed a new air conditioner. I'm wondering if it's doing an extra-efficient job of dehumidifying, and that's the problem. SOON I WILL HAVE NO LIPS.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Tried Burt's Bees?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Sudy wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:46 am Jokes aside, I'd love to try Faygo if we had it in Ontario. Presuming it didn't make me have to listen to ICP. I'm all about flavours and novelty when it comes to my soda, and junkfood in general. I'll try anything once.
I thought there was no better cherry based pop than Faygo's Rock And Rye until I tried Frank's Black Cherry Wishniak. Frank's is like $2.50 for 12.5 oz can. Faygo is a buck for a two liter and it's almostas good. Rock and Rye get 8 Tentacle's if you ever find it. If you can get Frank's (from Philadelphia) you know how good Faygo almost is for a fraction of the price.

(Also if you consider Windsor part of Onario, they have if Faygo everywhere, though google tells me it gets difficult to find once you get past London)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Also picked up Cheerwine soda.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Yeah, have Burt's Bees sitting on my desk too lol. But I've been using the medicated ones more frequently presuming they'll be more effective.

Canada Dry has a black cherry wishniak I love (also hard to find), though I'm sure a smaller regional brand would be even better. Actually, my folks relocated to London so I'll have to take a look around the next time I'm there. Makes sense they're getting some stuff in from Detroit.

I love artisan sodas and try them whenever I encounter them. Specialty candy shops are great for that. The one they had in Mrs. Nym's hometown in South Dakota must have had 30 varieties of root beer.

Barq's has a spiced cherry now, but I didn't find it to be too interesting. Pretty much just a Dr. Pepper thing going on. Some online even suggested it's a rebranding of Mr. Pibb. The "spiced" description is great marketing, but it's really not particularly spiced or spicy.

My favourite recent discovery has been Monster Mule, as in a Moscow mule flavoured energy drink. It's got enough of a burn to remind me of ginger beer as opposed to ginger ale, but it also very sweet. One of the best tasting energy drinks I've had though.
Last edited by Sudy on Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Sudy wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:57 am Barely gross medical stuff (dry lips) below. But I still probably wouldn't want to read it while I'm eating....
Spoiler:
I can't stop opening bloody cracks in my lower lip this past month. It's becoming very annoying, if not concerning. I've got medicated Blistex and Nivea balms that I'm applying several times a day, and while they'll sometimes help them heal for a day to two, the issue comes right back. It's to the point that I try to avoid smiling/laughing or opening my mouth wide to eat large food.

I'm used to this in the winter, but never the summer. I'm a bit of a chronic lip licker (which I know dries them out), but probably not too bad. I definitely have a problem with pulling off the dry skin that's already started to peel away. (It feels like it's "not supposed to be there".) I also sleep next to a fan. (Fan death survivor!) This does coincide with when we installed a new air conditioner. I'm wondering if it's doing an extra-efficient job of dehumidifying, and that's the problem. SOON I WILL HAVE NO LIPS.
Keep extra hydrated, and try a beeswax (or petroleum jelly) medicated lip moisturizer (if that isn't what you're already using.) Moisturize them at night like you would dry skin. And watch for sunburn.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Sudy wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:07 amYeah, have Burt's Bees sitting on my desk
I watched a documentary on this brand and the founder and it was both fascinating and disheartening. It started nice and rural with Burt just trying to scratch out some cash as a hermit in the woods ... but Burt just couldn't be faithful to his lady (who cared enough to build the business for him) so she basically yoinked it from him and sold it off, now he's just a face on the products and wanders around attending events when he's up for it but is otherwise living as a hermit in the woods still. Knowing the history of the brand and where it is today really killed any feeling we had for it.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Sudy wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:57 am Barely gross medical stuff (dry lips) below. But I still probably wouldn't want to read it while I'm eating....
Spoiler:

if the corners of the mouth are splitting, that usually indicates a microbial off-balance (bacteria/yeast infection or whatever)
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

I am a big fan of soda. Especially root beer. For many years I lived nearby to one of the physical locations for TheRootbeerStore.com which had more than 100 brands of root beer in stock. Not an exaggeration. They also carried other flavors like grape, creme soda, cherry, and such. None of the big box brands all specialty stuff.

my favorite root beer is Jack Blacks Dead Red. but its no longer available.

I like birch beer more than root beer.

Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Sudy wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:07 am It's got enough of a burn to remind me of ginger beer as opposed to ginger ale, but it also very sweet.
That's in large part what set Frank's apart from Faygo, "the Burn, yet sweet." It gives it the feel/favor of soda from a freshly opened glass bottle by a child from the 70s.