Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Kraken

Re: Random randomness

Post by Kraken »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 10:35 am Or just actively block Java on that page. It breaks some animated page elements when they use them, but prevents their 'out of views' popup from working.
Turns out there's a Firefox plugin that allows one to block javascript, either per domain or per tab, with a simple click.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Kraken wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 6:12 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 10:35 am Or just actively block Java on that page. It breaks some animated page elements when they use them, but prevents their 'out of views' popup from working.
Turns out there's a Firefox plugin that allows one to block javascript, either per domain or per tab, with a simple click.
You can also do it effortlessly with the uBlock Origin adblocker (e.g. I have mine set to block all javascript by default, and only allow it on the sites I trust).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 6:35 pm
Kraken wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 6:12 pm
You can also do it effortlessly with the uBlock Origin adblocker (e.g. I have mine set to block all javascript by default, and only allow it on the sites I trust).
Ahh, so I see. I'm already running that, but only using it as a backup to AdBlock Plus.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Ditch AdBlock and turn on Ublock. Ublock doesn't allow sites to bribe them to let ads through.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I run them both simultaneously for maximum blockage. Any reason not to?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Kraken wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 12:20 am I run them both simultaneously for maximum blockage. Any reason not to?
Ad blockers run off of a 'block list' on what to allow through and what not to. Ublock Origin and AdBlock use the same lists. It isn't going to blow anything up, but you're not really gaining any extra protection, while you're using more than double the resources (Ublock uses fewer resources than AdBlock.)
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I don't browse the web on my phone so resources aren't really a consideration -- my desktop PC has plenty of RAM and CPU cycles.

On this screen, Adblock showed 3 items blocked and uBlock showed 2. With Adblock disabled, uBlock shows 5. OK, Adblock is fired.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

You show getting popup adds for OO?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Likely just running scripts. I show four blocked on OO, and they seem to be related to embedded YouTube videos. IE - the videos are seen via OO, so YouTube's ads are seen via OO. At least they would be if I weren't running the blockers.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

dbt1949 wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 5:08 am You show getting popup adds for OO?
Only on the text box. I don't know how to read the report that shows what the scripts are.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Grabbed uBlock, because why not.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

There really is no world where it should take 50 minutes on the telephone to switch the date of service transfer for DirecTV. I'm not talking about giving the details and figuring out what needs to be done - that was already set up. Just trying to move a scheduled date to another one. 50+ minutes. I mean, really.

EDIT: And at 53 minute mark, they hung up on me.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

I have asked my previous doctors office for a copy of a form that was filled out 4 years.
They are treating me like a criminal for requesting it.
I thought I had a right to my medical records?
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Your first mistake is doing it by phone. Use e-mail or chat support when available.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I tried - online system was not letting me change service date; was told to call. I'm about ready to detonate.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

There's always the social media route.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

An hour and 15 minutes later, still no resolution. They literally cannot change the calendar date for service modification from one day to another. Meanwhile, my service is scheduled to move this Saturday. Their resolution? We'll call you back. Maybe I'm switching to cable. I've only been a customer for 19 years, who cares?
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

My wife destroyed another end table this morning with her armored wheel chair.
<sigh>
My life is a thousand cuts.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 9:57 am There's always the social media route.
I also like to check the website for things like Vice Presidents and other senior management. I'll carpet-bomb their email using standard permutations. My success rate is pretty high, given that I'm blindly emailing executives. Sometimes I get a call back within the hour to fix my issue.

EX: If Bob Jones is the VP of Customer Service for Spectrum at spectrum.com... I'll send off an email to bjones@spectrum.com, bob.jones@spectrum.com, bobjones@spectrum.com, rjones@spectrum.com, jonesb@spectrum.com, and jones.bob@spectrum.com hoping one will land in his inbox.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

stimpy wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 9:54 am I have asked my previous doctors office for a copy of a form that was filled out 4 years.
You do and they have to keep them for a lot longer than 4 years.

However, depends on what kind of form it was. Not all forms go into the medical record. They should if an office is smart but not all forms are required to.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 10:14 am An hour and 15 minutes later, still no resolution. They literally cannot change the calendar date for service modification from one day to another. Meanwhile, my service is scheduled to move this Saturday. Their resolution? We'll call you back. Maybe I'm switching to cable. I've only been a customer for 19 years, who cares?
How often do you get signal loss with your dish and bad weather? I'm thinking about dish as an option when I move, but I worry about losing signal when it rains really hard or we get accumulating snow.
Hodor.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It does happen a few times a year, yes. Snow isn't usually a problem (my dish is mounted under roof line so it's sheltered a bit), but a heavy wet snow does require I go out with a broom and sweep it off (it's only about 7 feet off the ground, not a big deal). Heavy thunderstorms or snow clouds will absolutely interrupt the signal and then you're hosed. However, with the ability to download quite a few major shows to the DirecTV DVR on demand, it's not as much of a problem as it used to be. I guest the tl;dr is that it happens but not often enough that I'd consider other options because of it.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 4:24 pm
stimpy wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 9:54 am I have asked my previous doctors office for a copy of a form that was filled out 4 years.
You do and they have to keep them for a lot longer than 4 years.

However, depends on what kind of form it was. Not all forms go into the medical record. They should if an office is smart but not all forms are required to.
They confirmed over the phone that they have it, but the constant barage of questions about why I need it and what I'm going to do with it seems wonky. On top of that, they are dragging their feet at supplying it. I tried to show up unannounced today, but the road to get there was washed out......
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Last night via chat: We totally changed that service appointment for you
This morning: They did not

I've now spent close to 3 hours on the phone and in a chat window with various customer support representatives, all of whom have assured me they can help me (they cannot). Three times I've been assured the date was changed; it has not been. I've had just about enough.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Just tell them to cancel your service instead, so they can transfer you to customer retention people instead. They might be more competent and have more authority to make changes.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yup. I went that route and was repeatedly assured my problem could be addressed (it hasn't). After 3+ hours I was told that the only person that can modify the service date is the original agent that took the order. What kind of absurd scheduling system is that? Regardless I've been assured (once again) it will be handled by tomorrow morning. Really looking forward to it.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Leatherman multi-tools are awesome.

My wife got me a Wave years ago and it's been in my pocket almost every day since and has been used countless times. Three weeks ago it was exactly what I needed to shave wood at our camp site so I could get a fire going and keep the family warm - it was a soggy day and there was no fire starting kit at the site, so we would have been cold and miserable without it. The only dry wood was full-sized hardwood logs, so I got to work on them. I managed to snap the tip of the blade off while prying at a splinter to get a bigger bit of kindling, though.

Searching for a replacement blade online was fruitless. One might cost me $13 if I wanted to buy it used on eBay, but I couldn't find a simple replacement. I contacted Leatherman and they told me why... all of their products have a "Lifetime" (25 year) guarantee. I shipped my damaged mutli-tool off to them a couple weeks ago and they've replaced the blade at no cost and it should be in my mailbox when I get home. I've felt naked without it!
Black Lives Matter

hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Paingod wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 12:35 pm I contacted Leatherman and they told me why... all of their products have a "Lifetime" (25 year) guarantee.
Tweezerman is the same. i've always had great customer service from them.
Brian

Post by Brian »

I've never broken a Leatherman. I've either lost them or had them stolen.

I currently have a Wave riding on my hip in its holster. :)

The Wave is great but my previous one was much better. I'd have to do a little research to find the model name for it.

Edit: It was the Super Tool.

That's the one that was stolen. All the others I lost (except one I gave my daughter).
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Brian wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 1:57 pm All the others I lost
and all the Leathermans (Leathermen? lol) i own were found ones
Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 9:49 am There really is no world where it should take 50 minutes on the telephone to switch the date of service transfer for DirecTV.
On the TELEPHONE?!?
18-1™ & 2-0
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Trent Steel wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 2:45 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 9:49 am There really is no world where it should take 50 minutes on the telephone to switch the date of service transfer for DirecTV.
On the TELEPHONE?!?
Did you even try texting them a dick pic? I hear those get results.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Enlarge Image

If this isn't resolved prior to 12pm tomorrow, I will burn a motherforker to the ground.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Paingod wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 12:35 pm Leatherman multi-tools are awesome.

My wife got me a Wave years ago and it's been in my pocket almost every day since and has been used countless times. Three weeks ago it was exactly what I needed to shave wood at our camp site so I could get a fire going and keep the family warm - it was a soggy day and there was no fire starting kit at the site, so we would have been cold and miserable without it. The only dry wood was full-sized hardwood logs, so I got to work on them. I managed to snap the tip of the blade off while prying at a splinter to get a bigger bit of kindling, though.

Searching for a replacement blade online was fruitless. One might cost me $13 if I wanted to buy it used on eBay, but I couldn't find a simple replacement. I contacted Leatherman and they told me why... all of their products have a "Lifetime" (25 year) guarantee. I shipped my damaged mutli-tool off to them a couple weeks ago and they've replaced the blade at no cost and it should be in my mailbox when I get home. I've felt naked without it!
Sorry, but as unarguably useful as multitools can be, you used the wrong tool for the job.

Uncle Bill's Sliver Gripper is the simple tool you need, especially if you spend any time working with wood or metal (though I strongly recommend sharpening them with a file to achieve the best results). They're terrific for quickly and easily digging in to remove splinters, but they're also mighty useful for extracting ticks/chiggers and the like. Better yet, they easily clip on and off a keychain so they make for an effortless EDC item to keep around:

Enlarge Image Enlarge Image

EDIT: Oops, I misunderstood your post -- upon re-reading, you were digging at a splinter on a log. D'oh!
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Trent Steel wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 2:45 pm
On the TELEPHONE?!?
Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

Z-Corn, we can officially hang out now.
18-1™ & 2-0
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 4:09 pmEDIT: Oops, I misunderstood your post -- upon re-reading, you were digging at a splinter on a log. D'oh!
:D I'd have some serious issues if I snapped the tip of a knife blade off trying to dig out a regular splinter.
Black Lives Matter

Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Trent Steel wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 5:18 pm Z-Corn, we can officially hang out now.
Trent Steel man, let me tell you my story man...
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

People Map of the US, showing the most famous (based on Wiki lookups) person from just about every little burg in the US. In my town it's Priscilla Chan, wife of the Zuck. My town has about 40,000 residents, so it drills down at least that far.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Kraken wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 9:03 pm People Map of the US, showing the most famous (based on Wiki lookups) person from just about every little burg in the US. In my town it's Priscilla Chan, wife of the Zuck. My town has about 40,000 residents, so it drills down at least that far.
My childhood neighborhood: Michael Stipe
My high school: Courtney Cox
My current city: Will Smith

My kids' school: Kevin Bacon (which I think wins the game for them?)
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.