Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Re: Random randomness

Post by Daehawk »

You the guy with the trench coat downtown market street? Oh wait no that was the flasher.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Such a cool 70s sight...

Enlarge Image
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Isgrimnur wrote:Pretty soon, you'll be buying sugar packets.
I always ask for more than I need when buying tea/coffee. I hoard it. You are always gonna need it. :horse:

I'm not actually a miser, but come on, free sugar!
Holman

Post by Holman »

Daehawk wrote:Such a cool 70s sight...

Enlarge Image
Will those wings generate lift when the truck gets up to speed?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Brian

Post by Brian »

More like to downforce since that's their purpose.

The funny thing about the Plymouth Superbird/Dodge Daytona cars was that the dealerships could hardly give those cars away because the design was so...unconventional, yet now these cars bring huge dollars on the market today.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Didn't Chinny McGee and an ancient stunt driver roll one of those? Edit:. Nope, different car.

As Brian said, those generate down force for traction.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Enlarge Image
Holman

Post by Holman »

I know people love cars, and I would never denigrate that, but sometimes I think about just how goddamn weird our adoration of them would look to generations in the distant past or the future.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

In the past it was probably "Thats a nice wheel! Where'd you get that made?" and in the future "Thats a great antigravity drive! You port the nutronium yourself?"
Holman

Post by Holman »

Daehawk wrote:In the past it was probably "Thats a nice wheel! Where'd you get that made?" and in the future "Thats a great antigravity drive! You port the nutronium yourself?"
I doubt it, actually. In the past I think things were different, and in the future they'll be different again.

Which means, of course, they're different now, and there's something very weird about the way we do it.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

In the past, the vast majority of humanity didn't have the resources to place their obsessive adoration on things.

In the future, who knows?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

So, I have found one unexpected silver lining to dad's passing. He spent the last 20 years of his career in a business casual setting, and dad was always a very sharp dresser. Brand names, cool clothes, great colors, etc. Never gaudy or garish, just clothes that were very classic and timeless.

I, on the other hand, have always been very...frugal when it comes to clothes. My entire work wardrobe consisted of 4 identical pair of khakis that I bought on clearance at Target 5 years ago for $12 each, and a whole slew of $10 blue or black polo shirts that Mrs. Skinypupy bought for me at Walmart or Target. Nothing fancy, nothing brand name, very basic, and very cheap.

As it turns out, Dad and I wore the same size. So after going through his closet over the weekend, I came home with - no exaggeration here - more clothes than I would buy for myself in 20 years. I have gone from a closet of cheap Walmart, to an entirely new wardrobe of business casual consisting of Polo, Tommy Bahama, Hilfiger, Hugo Boss, Nautica, North Face, Columbia, Nike, etc. I'm guessing some of these shirts by themselves cost more than I would spend on work clothes in an entire year.

And that's just his "summer clothes". There's a whole 'nother closet full of long sleeve shirts, heavier slacks, and suits in mom's basement that I haven't gone through yet.

Shit you not, I may never have to buy clothes again. :shock:
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

yeah, that's a windfall.
Skinypupy wrote: I, on the other hand, have always been very...frugal when it comes to clothes. My entire work wardrobe consisted of 4 identical pair of khakis that I bought on clearance at Target 5 years ago for $12 each, and a whole slew of $10 blue or black polo shirts that Mrs. Skinypupy bought for me at Walmart or Target. Nothing fancy, nothing brand name, very basic, and very cheap.
four *identical* pairs?? your fashion sense makes me cry. throw all that to the goodwill post haste.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Skinypupy wrote: As it turns out, Dad and I wore the same size. So after going through his closet over the weekend, I came home with - no exaggeration here - more clothes than I would buy for myself in 20 years. I have gone from a closet of cheap Walmart, to an entirely new wardrobe of business casual consisting of Polo, Tommy Bahama, Hilfiger, Hugo Boss, Nautica, North Face, Columbia, Nike, etc. I'm guessing some of these shirts by themselves cost more than I would spend on work clothes in an entire year.

And that's just his "summer clothes". There's a whole 'nother closet full of long sleeve shirts, heavier slacks, and suits in mom's basement that I haven't gone through yet.

Ah, but now you have to worry about whether anything in his closet has gone dramatically out of style since he bought it!
Rip

Post by Rip »

Holman wrote:
Skinypupy wrote: As it turns out, Dad and I wore the same size. So after going through his closet over the weekend, I came home with - no exaggeration here - more clothes than I would buy for myself in 20 years. I have gone from a closet of cheap Walmart, to an entirely new wardrobe of business casual consisting of Polo, Tommy Bahama, Hilfiger, Hugo Boss, Nautica, North Face, Columbia, Nike, etc. I'm guessing some of these shirts by themselves cost more than I would spend on work clothes in an entire year.

Ah, but now you have to worry about whether anything in his closet has gone dramatically out of style since he bought it!
You mean more than your wardrobe going in?

I doubt it.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

hitbyambulance wrote:yeah, that's a windfall.
Skinypupy wrote: I, on the other hand, have always been very...frugal when it comes to clothes. My entire work wardrobe consisted of 4 identical pair of khakis that I bought on clearance at Target 5 years ago for $12 each, and a whole slew of $10 blue or black polo shirts that Mrs. Skinypupy bought for me at Walmart or Target. Nothing fancy, nothing brand name, very basic, and very cheap.
four *identical* pairs?? your fashion sense makes me cry. throw all that to the goodwill post haste.
You know that guy who everyone jokes, "His wife must have to lay out his clothes for him"? That's 100% me. My fashion sense is (very obviously) non-existant. Always has been. Honestly, I completely lack the ability to look at clothes and say "yes, those would look good together". Which colors go with which is a completely foreign concept to me. In fact, I'm more than a little nervous with this new wardrobe because I'm going to have to try and figure out what I can wear with what. Not an easy task for someone who doesn't just have zero fashion sense, but completely missed that gene entirely. I wish I was joking when I said I'm going to have to ask Mrs. Skinypupy what combinations work until I can get some sort of system down.

I buy clothes based on (in order of importance):

1. They cover my butt
2. They require zero thought when I put them on in the morning
3. They don't cost much
4. They don't look completely ridiculous

When that's your entire decision matrix, well, you end up with a closet full of identical khakis and $10 polo shirts.

My off-work wardrobe is probably more horrifying, tbh. I have three pairs of jeans, two pair of shoes (black Chucks and black Adidas Sambas), and an entire drawer full of black metal band t-shirts. Oh, and a couple University of Utah hoodies for when it gets cold. That's pretty much it. :lol:
Last edited by Skinypupy on Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It still beats my wardrobe. Two pairs of shorts for summer, two pairs of pants for winter. A variety of t-shirts. One pair of shoes.

I have a good sense of what goes with what, but I have zero desire to follow the absurdity that is fashion trends (ties just got narrower, lapels just got wider - trash your wardrobe and start over!) So, I dress for me. I wear what is comfortable and what makes me happy. And if it doesn't impress the cashier at the store or the guy I'm behind in line? Pfft.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Comfort.
KDH

Post by KDH »

Blackhawk wrote:... So, I dress for me. I wear what is comfortable and what makes me happy.

I wore Bell-Bottom Jeans far longer than was fashionably astute .. my friends started to razz me. But my sneakers retained the vivid color known only to a Chinese factory worker
Ain't nobody got time for that
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

My work shirt wardrobe is about to be obsolete, as January shifts us to work-branded shirts only. At least it comes with jeans and sneakers over khakis.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I hate buying clothes. Even more, I hate shopping for clothes. Wife gives me T shirts, mostly promotional things she gets for free. Back when we used to observe xmas, people used to give me flannel shirts, so I've got a dozen of those. Once a year Bobs store gives me $10 for my birthday; I combine that with a coupon to replace some garment that's worn out -- usually jeans, sometimes shorts. Once every 2-3 years I'll grudgingly drop $50 on underwear and socks. I have one pair of not-jeans and one dress shirt that I'm compelled to wear once every year or two. I have some sweat pants and some walking shorts that are so old I can't remember where they came from.

When I tell a youngster "I've got shirts that are older than you" I mean it literally.

Shoes are the only thing I ever spend real money on. I wear out one pair of walking shoes every year, and I periodically have to replace boots and sandals, so I wind up buying two pairs of footwear most years. Which reminds me that I threw away my winter boots at the end of last year, so I'm going to need those again pretty soon. Dammit.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Blackhawk wrote:And if it doesn't impress the cashier at the store or the guy I'm behind in line? Pfft.
Yeah, that's the other factor. I could give two shits what anyone else thinks of my wardrobe, nor do I pay attention to anyone else's.

That's part of the reason why hitbyambulance's comment about my identical khakis struck me as so amusing. If one my co-workers wore the same pair of khakis every day for a year, I honestly doubt I would ever even notice it.
Kraken wrote:Shoes are the only thing I ever spend real money on. I wear out one pair of walking shoes every year, and I periodically have to replace boots and sandals, so I wind up buying two pairs of footwear most years. Which reminds me that I threw away my winter boots at the end of last year, so I'm going to need those again pretty soon. Dammit.
I used to go through pair after pair of cheap $20 dress shoes from Payless. Dad bought me a pair of Eccos one year for Christmas, and now I'm completely converted. It's the one nice thing I will spend money on. They're remarkably comfortable and durable. I wear them every day, and buy a new pair every couple years.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

To be honest, I could dress well if I needed to for a funeral or a meeting, although I have no doubt that I'd be seriously out of date. It still have dress shirts and ties in the back corner of the closet, although I'm sure that the ties are either too narrow or too wide. Can you get away with French cuffs these days?

I wore suits back when I was in a job that called for suits. I did my time. I feel no guilt for comfortable jeans and a DC comics t-shirt!
Rip

Post by Rip »

Isgrimnur wrote:My work shirt wardrobe is about to be obsolete, as January shifts us to work-branded shirts only. At least it comes with jeans and sneakers over khakis.
Well at least they are branding the shirts and not the workers these days.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Skinypupy wrote:
Kraken wrote:Shoes are the only thing I ever spend real money on. I wear out one pair of walking shoes every year, and I periodically have to replace boots and sandals, so I wind up buying two pairs of footwear most years. Which reminds me that I threw away my winter boots at the end of last year, so I'm going to need those again pretty soon. Dammit.
I used to go through pair after pair of cheap $20 dress shoes from Payless. Dad bought me a pair of Eccos one year for Christmas, and now I'm completely converted. It's the one nice thing I will spend money on. They're remarkably comfortable and durable. I wear them every day, and buy a new pair every couple years.
I walk a lot and I insist on having the right footwear for any environment. I have walking shoes/cross-trainers for fitness walking. I have an ancient pair of comfy loafers whose soles are almost worn through for everyday use. I have a more reputable pair of casual shoes for when I need to dress up. I have sandals for hot summer days and a pair of cheap flipflops for wet weather. I have hiking boots for, well, hiking, and I have winter boots for shoveling. Oh, and let's not forget a good pair of fleece-lined suede slippers for winter. I'm not a clothes guy, but I'm apparently a shoes guy. The only thing I don't own is proper dress shoes.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Oh my god! Shoes!

Post by Default »

"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Rip wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote:My work shirt wardrobe is about to be obsolete, as January shifts us to work-branded shirts only. At least it comes with jeans and sneakers over khakis.
Well at least they are branding the shirts and not the workers these days.
T-shirts that work has given me and jeans. I could wear a different work t-shirt for 3 weeks without repeats. I'm kind of like Skinypupy in that I am almost entirely unconcerned with how I look, but whenever I see someone dressed nicely I notice and feel a little twinge of jealousy. I just can't be bothered with a higher maintenance wardrobe. I just tossed two pairs of jeans because there were 3-4 different spots you could see what was underneath. My wife told me to replace them myself. Haha, yeah like that's going to happen. Now I will have to wear shorts on the weekend until Christmas when I can goad into replacing them. It's a good thing I live in Texas.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Blackhawk wrote:Can you get away with French cuffs these days?
I probably could, but I wouldn't be able to tell you what they are.

https://theidleman.com/manual/advice/wear-french-cuffs/
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

A belated R.I.P. to that Russian guy who once upon a time decided not to kill all of us.
When alarms began to ring and a control panel flashed in front of Stanislav Petrov, a 44-year-old lieutenant colonel seated in a secret bunker south of Moscow, it appeared that the world was less than 30 minutes from nuclear war.

“The siren howled,” he later said, “but I just sat there for a few seconds, staring at the big, back-lit, red screen with the word ‘launch’ on it.” His chair, he said, began to feel like “a hot frying pan.”

Col. Petrov, an official with Russia’s early-warning missile system, was charged with determining whether the United States had opened intercontinental fire on the Soviet Union. Just after midnight on Sept. 26, 1983, all signs seemed to point to yes.

The satellite signal Col. Petrov received in his bunker indicated that a single Minuteman missile had been launched and was headed toward the East. Four more missiles appeared to follow, according to satellite signals, and the protocol was clear: notify Soviet Air Defense headquarters in time for the military’s general staff to consult with Soviet leader Yuri Andropov. A retaliatory attack, and nuclear holocaust, would likely ensue.

Yet Col. Petrov, juggling a phone in one hand and an intercom in the other, judged that the red alert was a false alarm. Soviet missiles, armed and ready, remained in their silos. And American missiles, apparently minutes from impact, seemed to vanish into the air.

“I had a funny feeling in my gut,” Col. Petrov told The Washington Post in 1999. “I didn’t want to make a mistake. I made a decision, and that was it.” He celebrated with half a liter of vodka, fell into a sleep that lasted 28 hours and went back to work.

While the “50-50” decision may have averted catastrophe, it ultimately destroyed the career of Col. Petrov, who died May 19 at his home in Fryazino, a center for scientific research near Moscow. He was 77.

His death — much like the defining moment of his life — was largely unreported. It was announced by Karl Schumacher, a friend and political activist who said he heard the news from Col. Petrov’s son, Dmitri, and that Col. Petrov had been sick for the past six months with “an internal disease.”
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

*Phone notification of Mexico City earthquake*

Me: Get out of the way, I have to send this funny picture to my wife.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

A belated R.I.P. to that Russian guy who once upon a time decided not to kill all of us.
Saw that yesterday. Said thanks.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Max Peck wrote:A belated R.I.P. to that Russian guy who once upon a time decided not to kill all of us.
When alarms began to ring and a control panel flashed in front of Stanislav Petrov, a 44-year-old lieutenant colonel seated in a secret bunker south of Moscow, it appeared that the world was less than 30 minutes from nuclear war.

“The siren howled,” he later said, “but I just sat there for a few seconds, staring at the big, back-lit, red screen with the word ‘launch’ on it.” His chair, he said, began to feel like “a hot frying pan.”

Col. Petrov, an official with Russia’s early-warning missile system, was charged with determining whether the United States had opened intercontinental fire on the Soviet Union. Just after midnight on Sept. 26, 1983, all signs seemed to point to yes.

The satellite signal Col. Petrov received in his bunker indicated that a single Minuteman missile had been launched and was headed toward the East. Four more missiles appeared to follow, according to satellite signals, and the protocol was clear: notify Soviet Air Defense headquarters in time for the military’s general staff to consult with Soviet leader Yuri Andropov. A retaliatory attack, and nuclear holocaust, would likely ensue.

Yet Col. Petrov, juggling a phone in one hand and an intercom in the other, judged that the red alert was a false alarm. Soviet missiles, armed and ready, remained in their silos. And American missiles, apparently minutes from impact, seemed to vanish into the air.

“I had a funny feeling in my gut,” Col. Petrov told The Washington Post in 1999. “I didn’t want to make a mistake. I made a decision, and that was it.” He celebrated with half a liter of vodka, fell into a sleep that lasted 28 hours and went back to work.

While the “50-50” decision may have averted catastrophe, it ultimately destroyed the career of Col. Petrov, who died May 19 at his home in Fryazino, a center for scientific research near Moscow. He was 77.

His death — much like the defining moment of his life — was largely unreported. It was announced by Karl Schumacher, a friend and political activist who said he heard the news from Col. Petrov’s son, Dmitri, and that Col. Petrov had been sick for the past six months with “an internal disease.”
I saw people talking about Petrov yesterday too. It's a little odd since he died back in May but the anniversary of his saving the world isn't for another week.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

OMG I cant stop eating these wonderful things and my mouth is on fire.

Enlarge Image
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Firing a friend is a miserable experience.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

hitbyambulance wrote:yeah, that's a windfall.
I find a shirt I like and I buy 3 more of the same. Granted I have a lot of shirts but there is wisdom in the 4-identical strategy.

Not necessary worth jeans since you can wear them 4 times before a wash. And work trousers are all just variations on the same theme, right?
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

I've always been more of a Chilliwack guy than a Lighthouse guy (let the eternal battle continue!) but Skip Prokop was a legend and I'm disappointed/saddened that I'm only hearing of his passing almost a month after the fact.

edit = fixed link
Last edited by Jolor on Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

Jolor wrote:I've always been more of a Chilliwack guy than a Lighthouse guy (let the eternal battle continue!) but Skip Prokop was a legend and I'm disappointed/saddened that I'm only hearing of his passing almost a month after the fact.
That's kinda weird, linking to an empty Wikipedia page.
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Sectoid

Post by Sectoid »

Daehawk wrote:OMG I cant stop eating these wonderful things and my mouth is on fire.

Enlarge Image
How do you feel about them the next day?
(V)(;,,;)(V) - Why not Zoidberg?
Model Mayhem # 641920
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Today is that next day...we shall see.

Just in case I got some of these too.

Enlarge Image