Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Smoove_B

Re: Random randomness

Post by Smoove_B »

Whole cuts of pork and beef are pretty low on the list for things that will make you sick. Freezing it? Quality drops but you likely destroyed any incidental pathogens on the surface that might have been introduced during packaging.

I'll offer a presentation for anyone interested at the first OO convention. Morning will be food. Afternoon will be everything that's trying to kill you.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Since 2am, 5 hours ago, most of the internet and my wife's Xbox aren't working. More than half the sites I go to wont load, the rest either work a little slower or pages only half load. Like some places I get text but the images and videos are errored. Even my own ISPs speed test wont work and I cant update stuff from MS either.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I remember having to reset my modem and router in the middle of the night.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:13 am Whole cuts of pork and beef are pretty low on the list for things that will make you sick. Freezing it? Quality drops but you likely destroyed any incidental pathogens on the surface that might have been introduced during packaging.

I'll offer a presentation for anyone interested at the first OO convention. Morning will be food. Afternoon will be everything that's trying to kill you.
I had some sliced ham the other day. It was kind of slimy and tasted like cantelope and garlic. Gave me gas.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Its been normal now for about 1 1/2 hours. Finally got YouTube to lead around 7am and we watched 70s / 80s Christmas commercials. Old memories. Still LOVE the Coca Cola one where they sing.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:30 amI had some sliced ham the other day. It was kind of slimy and tasted like cantelope and garlic. Gave me gas.
Deli meat?
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

No, Italian pig.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

dbt1949 wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:26 am I remember having to reset my modem and router in the middle of the night.
That's why I put my modem and router on a remote control switch.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013F9JJ72
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:21 am Since 2am, 5 hours ago, most of the internet and my wife's Xbox aren't working. More than half the sites I go to wont load, the rest either work a little slower or pages only half load. Like some places I get text but the images and videos are errored. Even my own ISPs speed test wont work and I cant update stuff from MS either.
Yeah, noticed that a lot of things were down last night. I suspect something to do with DNS servers. What's interesting is that it wasn't throwing up the regular error messages, but rather just complete blank pages.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Rumpy wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:40 pm
Daehawk wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:21 am Since 2am, 5 hours ago, most of the internet and my wife's Xbox aren't working. More than half the sites I go to wont load, the rest either work a little slower or pages only half load. Like some places I get text but the images and videos are errored. Even my own ISPs speed test wont work and I cant update stuff from MS either.
Yeah, noticed that a lot of things were down last night. I suspect something to do with DNS servers. What's interesting is that it wasn't throwing up the regular error messages, but rather just complete blank pages.
Although it all seems fine its not . I do speed checks and instead of my normal 115 mps down Im only getting 75 mps. Ive reset the modem and it didn't help. Going to try a full modem / router / pc cold start next.

EDIT: Didn't help. Still stuck around 70 mps. Ill give them a few days to see if it changes. Calling them does nothing really most times. You get a script reader who ends up wasting your time and then wants to send a tech out who will claim you have bad lines or ends up making it slower usually.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Have you considered that they may have finally fired up the internal camera and mic, which could be drawing power away from critical modem functions?
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Actually figure Ill go back to my old modem if they dont fix it over the weekend and see if that helps.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:21 am Actually figure Ill go back to my old modem if they dont fix it over the weekend and see if that helps.
I'm sure using decades old technology is the fix. It's the first thing out IT support always suggests.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

It was working fine.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:24 am It was working fine.
Russia's "Fancy Bear" agrees.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:46 am
LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:30 amI had some sliced ham the other day. It was kind of slimy and tasted like cantelope and garlic. Gave me gas.
Deli meat?
Yes.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Possibly Thermosphacta bacteria - spoilage, not human pathogen bacteria. Deli meat is infamous for having that "slime" coat. Ham surprises me as usually the salt inhibits slime. Was it a low-salt or smoke cured ham?

The good news regardless, is that the non-pathogenic slime bacteria out-compete the pathogens, so in theory it's...safer? :D
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:24 am
Rumpy wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:40 pm
Although it all seems fine its not . I do speed checks and instead of my normal 115 mps down Im only getting 75 mps. Ive reset the modem and it didn't help. Going to try a full modem / router / pc cold start next.

EDIT: Didn't help. Still stuck around 70 mps. Ill give them a few days to see if it changes. Calling them does nothing really most times. You get a script reader who ends up wasting your time and then wants to send a tech out who will claim you have bad lines or ends up making it slower usually.
Resetting it didn't work because it's not a localized problem, Dae. And it happened again last night. Something odd is going on with the backbones.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Rumpy wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:09 pmSomething odd is going on with the backbones.
Last night, around 10:30ET, my internet service slowed to a crawl. I couldn't even get RDP to work correctly, let alone NetFlix.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Noticed my right blinker blinks twice as fast as my left. Thats a sign of a bad bulb. Sure enough it is but its a weird one. My Mustang has 3 bulbs per light in back. All 3 have 2 filaments. For normal on the top one glows. For a turn the 2nd filament blinks and it uses the 2 outside bulbs. Brakes seems to also light up the 2nd filament. Ok .....

Lights on all work.

Right blinker only the 3rd bulb blinks.

Brakes only the outside bulb glows the 2nd filament.

So time to find what bulb I need and buy a couple then figure out how to actually get to it. I cant do it right now so letting it go for a month...or longer if I can get away with it. As it sorta works I wont snag a ticket...unless it changes and I dont take notice.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Net has very slowly been creeping up all day. Its up to about 88 mps now. I stopped in at Hardees to grab a pair of burgers for home and there was a Charter van outside. I was going to ask them about it but they were hidden way in a corner eating so didn't bother them. :)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Yesterday I had a slightly painful and annoying crick in the left back of my shoulder and neck. Today its 10x worse to where I cant look left and its spread up my left neck and over to my right shoulder.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Google: signs of chest pain tat should not be ignored.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:26 pm

The good news regardless, is that the non-pathogenic slime bacteria out-compete the pathogens, so in theory it's...safer? :D
So what you're saying is slime is good?

I'm used to it on natural casing wieners that are a few days old. Apparently collagen and grease leaking through the casing. Never seen it on ham.

MYT
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

tjg_marantz wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:05 am Google: signs of chest pain tat should not be ignored.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I feel bad for all the victims and their families and I wish them all the best but I don't need to know the personal history of them all.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:22 pm Noticed my right blinker blinks twice as fast as my left. Thats a sign of a bad bulb.
The answer is LED bulbs. Put them in and never worry about them again (for at least a year or two)
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Cost a lot more.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Facebook's new Portal hardware video thingy. Skip to the 1:00 mark to avoid the silly intro.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Looks like today will be baked chicken day. Found some on sale...3 large breasts for $6. Almost 3 lbs total.

Plan is to rinse, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, and bay leaf them. Then enclose in foil with a pat of butter on each and bake. Should be really really good. Just have to force myself to put enough salt on them. Ive become really stingy in salting stuff lately. Heck may even lemon one.
Last edited by Daehawk on Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I envy your ability to seek out and find good deals on food like this
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

GreenGoo wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:54 am I envy your ability to seek out and find good deals on food like this
Its our way of life :)
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:10 pm
GreenGoo wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:54 am I envy your ability to seek out and find good deals on food like this
Its our way of life :)
I understand. Lots of people are not skilled at things that are required of them, that's all I meant. I happen to value this particular skill, while not possessing it myself.
Last edited by GreenGoo on Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

Pickle cake.

My daughter asked me what two foods would not got together. And now I have a new band name.
18-1™ & 2-0
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Trent Steel wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:12 pm Pickle cake.

My daughter asked me what two foods would not got together. And now I have a new band name.
I want to criticize, but I can't. Presumably it would be a punk band of some ilk?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thought I got a great deal.....in todays world I guess I did. But the wife says she used to get a 3 pack on sale for $6 AND get a 2nd pack free. But its not the 1990s I tell her :)
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:51 pm Thought I got a great deal.....in todays world I guess I did. But the wife says she used to get a 3 pack on sale for $6 AND get a 2nd pack free. But its not the 1990s I tell her :)
I'm fairly sure my wife buys chicken breasts at 6 dollars a pop. But that's canuckibucks, so, you know, somehow that makes it better.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

GreenGoo wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:12 pm
Daehawk wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:51 pm Thought I got a great deal.....in todays world I guess I did. But the wife says she used to get a 3 pack on sale for $6 AND get a 2nd pack free. But its not the 1990s I tell her :)
I'm fairly sure my wife buys chicken breasts at 6 dollars a pop. But that's canuckibucks, so, you know, somehow that makes it better.
You should be able to buy a whole chicken rotisserie cooked for $6, $7 at the most.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Note: Just a reminder that things are more expensive up here, plus $1 Canadian is only worth $.076 American right now.

I may have been a little facetious. That said, internet tells me Loblaws is selling 2 boneless breasts for $5.45, claiming that's $2.43 off the full price, which would be almost $8 for 2 breasts if true.

By comparison, the same store is selling a uncooked whole chicken for $7.64 (claiming full price is $13.38).

The products do not list their mass, but it looks like they've included the per Kg sale price below, so if I really wanted to know how big they were, I could do a simple calculation.

Currently the "sale" price:

Boneless/skin on chicken breast: $9.90/Kg ($4.49/lb)
Whole chicken: $4.39/Kg ($1.99/lb)

But mostly my point was not that things are expensive up here (they are) and no deals can be found (they can be), but that we pay full price for everything always, because I don't do the shopping because my wife is home for 4-5 days of the week while the kids are in school so she does the shopping, and she values her time over the price of things. It's hard to argue, since I do too, so me taking over the task is probably not going to happen, particularly when I'm only off 2 days of the week and that's when the kids are home too, but my wife is at work. But really, I don't want to do it.

The non-sale price at this store:

Cooked whole chickens: $13.33/Kg ($6.05/lb)

With the listed price being $11.99/chicken.

Again, these aren't the best deals to be had (I assume). These are the prices if you walk into Loblaws and put these items in your basket today, which is exactly how our shopping gets done.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I got the breasts because Ive been craving baked chicken breasts for 3 - 6 months. But I do prefer the Walmart cooked chickens. So tender and delish but likely a lot less healthy.