Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Blackhawk

Re: Random randomness

Post by Blackhawk »

A last pet update, not so sad this time, although still bittersweet.

After I posted about what happened in one pigeon group and found out what I did about the medicine Barry had been prescribed being toxic in pigeons (but ideal for pretty much all other species), I contacted the vet who had prescribed it. I explained what I'd been told, linked to a couple of clinical studies, and told them that my intent was not to blame them, but to inform them in case they ever had a pigeon or dove with similar symptoms. Since they made a mistake that essentially killed her, I mostly expected the letter to be ignored or to receive an excuse. Pigeons are rarely seen by most vets, and while the issue isn't uncommon in birds, seeing pigeons (specifically) with this condition is not common, and most up-to-date veterinary reference books still list fendbendazole as appropriate for pigeons based on outdated information. Again, no blame. It was out of date info that all vets have combined with an unusual patient.

This was the response I received:
I personally wanted to extend my sincere condolences on the loss of your dear friend Barry. The story of your journey together was extremely touching and the great lengths you went to seek treatment and provide for her in her time of need is all we could ever hope for our patients. I know the pain of loss both as a veterinarian and as a bird owner, but recognize how special your bond was and that every situation is unique. I want to ensure you that Barry will have changed the life of every pigeon I will have the pleasure to meet from this day forward.

The dosing for her was based on a recent exotic animal formulary and was a relatively conservative one in the spectrum of documented doses for pigeons. However, of all the literature out there, I have not come across the journals you have cited, most regretfully. Please accept my sincere gratitude for sharing your knowledge and for supporting my profession with such a candid and respectful update. As hard as veterinarians try to be the best for their patients, we are human and the body of medical knowledge is ever growing. The strength and kindness you have shown me in your time of loss is not taken lightly.

I hope you understand that Barry’s loss is not one to be forgotten and the information will certainly be disseminated to our staff and colleagues.
I'm very happy with this vet and their response. If we decide to get another bird and there are problems, I'd gladly take her them there.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

That's nice but there's always the bill for killing your animal. I've had pets go under the knife and the vet comes out very sympathetic and hands me a bill for $200.
Not much else they can do I guess but it just doesn't seem fair somehow.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

More than I got when my wife died. After the docs who tried to save her disappeared without a word to me I was given about 45 minutes with her and then ushered out to a small private waiting room where a priest was to visit to talk to me. 2 hours later no one had showed and a nurse that saw me with my wife earlier led me out and was apologetic to me. As I left I ran into the doc who had been treating her in her room .He said he was sorry and he was "going to look into it and call me"..I told him to his face no he wouldn't. I knew the hospital would not take kind to that. He never called and I never could get him on a phone. I got zilch on a human being. The docs hardly see a patient these days. Like 5 - 10 min each morning and thats all.

Theres so much worry about being sued and actually hiding stuff that the rest is left out.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

All I can say is that I received the service, I paid for the service I received, and when something went wrong I was happy with their response and to know that the suffering involved, both Barry's and ours, resulted in a positive change that will possibly save other people and pidges from the same experience in the future.

I'm OK with that.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I like your attitude, Blackhawk. Mistakes can happen even when good people try to do their best. If everyone involved did the best they could under the circumstances, that's all you can ask for.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I remember getting sympathy cards from the vet when we'd lose a little one. Usually signed by all there. Also sometimes get one where they say they have donated in our little ones name. I maaay be wrong but I think D even got flowers from them when our oldest little guy passed at almost 19. They'd treated him since he was a little hand sized puppy. Had his pics made there multiple times. Had his last little birthday party there for him on his 18th birthday in their break room with a cake and all. Sigh.

Off to bed sad.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Kraken wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 12:34 am I like your attitude, Blackhawk. Mistakes can happen even when good people try to do their best. If everyone involved did the best they could under the circumstances, that's all you can ask for.
Amen.

Kudos for providing Barry a loving home, and respectfully informing the vet to help prevent such an error from reoccurring.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 10:10 pm A last pet update, not so sad this time, although still bittersweet.

After I posted about what happened in one pigeon group and found out what I did about the medicine Barry had been prescribed being toxic in pigeons (but ideal for pretty much all other species), I contacted the vet who had prescribed it. I explained what I'd been told, linked to a couple of clinical studies, and told them that my intent was not to blame them, but to inform them in case they ever had a pigeon or dove with similar symptoms. Since they made a mistake that essentially killed her, I mostly expected the letter to be ignored or to receive an excuse. Pigeons are rarely seen by most vets, and while the issue isn't uncommon in birds, seeing pigeons (specifically) with this condition is not common, and most up-to-date veterinary reference books still list fendbendazole as appropriate for pigeons based on outdated information. Again, no blame. It was out of date info that all vets have combined with an unusual patient.

This was the response I received:
I personally wanted to extend my sincere condolences on the loss of your dear friend Barry. The story of your journey together was extremely touching and the great lengths you went to seek treatment and provide for her in her time of need is all we could ever hope for our patients. I know the pain of loss both as a veterinarian and as a bird owner, but recognize how special your bond was and that every situation is unique. I want to ensure you that Barry will have changed the life of every pigeon I will have the pleasure to meet from this day forward.

The dosing for her was based on a recent exotic animal formulary and was a relatively conservative one in the spectrum of documented doses for pigeons. However, of all the literature out there, I have not come across the journals you have cited, most regretfully. Please accept my sincere gratitude for sharing your knowledge and for supporting my profession with such a candid and respectful update. As hard as veterinarians try to be the best for their patients, we are human and the body of medical knowledge is ever growing. The strength and kindness you have shown me in your time of loss is not taken lightly.

I hope you understand that Barry’s loss is not one to be forgotten and the information will certainly be disseminated to our staff and colleagues.
I'm very happy with this vet and their response. If we decide to get another bird and there are problems, I'd gladly take her them there.
Both you and the vet... Thank you both, you both give me hope in the human endeavor.
Seriously. And thanks for sharing this update.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

https://drremulack.bandcamp.com/releases

This might have a NSFW warning. If you fear strange links then scroll on.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

And just why are you looking to grow your dick while you sleep?

:)

This begs the question......what kinda ice cream is the special at Baskin Robbins today?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Things I have learned while WingFH and being furlough over the last 8 weeks. Squirrels really like playing in my yard and on my deck and roof all day, every day. And I envy them.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

One would think after eating chili for four days straight, that a person would get sick of eating chili. One would be wrong. I'm always sad when I run out of chili, like I need a bigger crock pot. Also I cut back on the meat from 3 pounds to 1 pound this last time. To my surprise, it was just as good. I might even try to see what chili is like if you instead essentially make a thick thick thick spicy bean soup.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

LordMortis wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 8:07 pm One would think after eating chili for four days straight, that a person would get sick of eating chili. One would be wrong. I'm always sad when I run out of chili, like I need a bigger crock pot. Also I cut back on the meat from 3 pounds to 1 pound this last time. To my surprise, it was just as good. I might even try to see what chili is like if you instead essentially make a thick thick thick spicy bean soup.
Since I’ve been working from home the last couple months, I have had the exact same breakfast (cereal, yogurt, OJ) and lunch (ham & American cheese sandwich, single serving bag of Lay’s potato chips, apple) every single day. It’s boring, but is certainly definitely a better diet than when I was traveling (grabbing whatever was most convenient) or going out for lunch 2-3 times a week at the office.

Feels strange to actually be eating healthier in quarantine.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Ugh, FML.

I spent a month going back and forth with GoDaddy support via chat about an SSL certificate issue.

Chat 1: I renewed it but they needed me to verify domain ownership with a TXT addition to the NameServer (hosted elsewhere). No big deal; I forward their request to our web management company and they take a few days to process it.

Chat 2: After verifying ownership, I downloaded the SSL certificate and installed it on my Exchange server, but the expiration date didn't change. So I contacted them and was basically told to sit tight for a few days and wait it out; problem on their side.

Chat 3: I waited a week but the date didn't change, so I contacted support again. They spent a good hour running in circles with me, trying to explain how they don't support installations and trying to direct me to How-To pages, while I tried explaining that I was installing it successfully but the date wasn't updating to the new expiration. They finally ask me to rekey it and wait a couple days for it to re-validate.

Chat 4: Re-keyed, but can't download it. It hangs on verifying the domain now and doesn't finish. Back to support for an hour or more, finally I'm escalated and asked to wait a few days for things to get worked out.

Chat 5: Now my certificate says it's "Revoked" on their site and I have no option to download it. Back to support for another hour while Ranan from wherever tries to tell me that my certificate is the wrong version. I've got the 5 domain SSL certificate and need the Unlimited Subdomain SSL certificate, a more expensive product. I argue with the rep about this, reminding them that this same certificate worked for 2 years before I renewed it and I was absolutely not upgrading my product from 5 domains - FQDN's, which cover the domain and 3 subdomains I use - to an unlimited one "just because". I finally disconnect in anger - a very rare thing for me.

Chat 6: Back to another rep for an hour while they try and troubleshoot why my certificate is Revoked. It's flipping between Pending and Revoked on my screen every 20 minutes or so. They have no answers but agree to escalate it for me again.

Last night I get an email notification from GoDaddy saying that it was renewed - at 9:50pm. I wasn't up for hopping in remotely so I waited until now to download it. It's Revoked again and I can't download it. WTF. I note the email has a phone number to call so I do. Chat clearly isn't working and my SSL certificate expires tomorrow.

Exactly 7 minutes and 38 seconds into a call with someone I don't have to run through a linguistics filter and I'm all set. Turns out the GoDaddy website has issues with browsers holding onto old data and not letting it go. Opening up their site in an Incognito window yields a blissfully Renewed certificate that I was able to download and install, which immediately popped up with the right expiration date. 1 day before it expired.

I honestly don't even know how long I've been "Chatting" with people online - hours probably - running in circles. What a waste of time.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Someone on OO is a vet as I recall right?
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

some weeks ago i've noticed a resurgence of the 'blood rush in the head' feeling I was experiencing after the bike accident i was in (just a little over a year ago). this is especially noticeable when I'm, for instance, standing at the bathroom counter looking closely into the mirror. This pose (bent slightly forward at the waist, head bent back) will trigger the throbbing sound in my ears, along with some tightness on the sides of my head, some dizziness, and the start of a renewed tinnitus episode. A slightly less intense version can (and will) also happen when I'm lying down and when my head isn't flat on the same surface. Something feels not quite right in the neck and back/sides of my head, but it's hard to articulate what it is.

i've messaged my PT, who said to message my GP, who said to message a neurologist, so i now have an appointment scheduled for next week.
Holman

Post by Holman »

My dog had an adventure today.

I was at the grocery store, having already filled a shopping cart to the brim (weekly shop for six people), when my 13-year-old called in tears and wailed "Gus is lost!"

Gus is our 2-year-old dog (mostly a black-mouth cur, all hound with maybe a little shepherd mixed in), and he had fled the yard when my MIL left the gate open. Gus is long and lean and 65 pounds, and he's hard to catch when he gets running. Our fear has always been that if he got loose then he might pick up the trail of a fox or a groundhog and just keep going for miles, and we'd never see him again.

It turns out that the big dummy is easier to catch than that. My kid (and this is a genius move!) grabbed a block of cheese from the fridge and joined the search party. They found him chasing squirrels in a yard three houses down the street. He didn't want to be caught until the cheese was torn open and held aloft. Then, done.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I dont know. Sounds pretty smart to trade squirrels he cant catch for a guaranteed cheese.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Hound Dogs are tough to contain. They follow their noses to their own detriment.

Best fuckin' dogs though.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I do love weenie dogs. Best hound dogs in the world.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

hitbyambulance wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 4:44 pm some weeks ago i've noticed a resurgence of the 'blood rush in the head' feeling I was experiencing after the bike accident i was in (just a little over a year ago). this is especially noticeable when I'm, for instance, standing at the bathroom counter looking closely into the mirror. This pose (bent slightly forward at the waist, head bent back) will trigger the throbbing sound in my ears, along with some tightness on the sides of my head, some dizziness, and the start of a renewed tinnitus episode. A slightly less intense version can (and will) also happen when I'm lying down and when my head isn't flat on the same surface. Something feels not quite right in the neck and back/sides of my head, but it's hard to articulate what it is.

i've messaged my PT, who said to message my GP, who said to message a neurologist, so i now have an appointment scheduled for next week.
A slightly restricted flow of one of the arteries near your neck, maybe?

I recall reading one of those scientific magazines and one of the medical puzzlers was a guy kept complaining to his GP that he sometimes feels really faint at work, and he couldn't figure out why, as he checks out perfectly otherwise. Until his GP asked him does he wear a tie at his job. He answered yes. His GP told him to come in next time with the tie. Turns out, he didn't upgrade his neck size when he gained a little weight. So when he turned his head while wearing a tie, he basically gave himself a "blood-choke"... each and every time. He was told to leave the collar open and tie off until he buys proper new shirts with the right collar size.

Don't know if that's related at all, just thought of that thing that I read, must have been years, perhaps decades ago.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Just rescued one of my little dogs. He wandered in behind the washing machine and couldn't get out. Was screaming bloody murder.
It's the one who has suffered a couple of strokes and he doesn't know how to back up. I have to rescue him from such things about once a week.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Z-Corn wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 9:40 pmHound Dogs are tough to contain. They follow their noses to their own detriment.
I don't think anything beats a Husky, though. They don't bother with their noses. They just run for the pure joy of running.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Paingod wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 6:45 am
Z-Corn wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 9:40 pmHound Dogs are tough to contain. They follow their noses to their own detriment.
I don't think anything beats a Husky, though. They don't bother with their noses. They just run for the pure joy of running.
We had salukis growing up. They'll outrun a greyhound, but are too smart to chase a fake rabbit. When ours would get out we couldn't follow her without blowing holes in the speed limits.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

We had an Afghan once that got free. We found her down the road about a mile. We told her to go home and she ran an unhurried lope all the way back. We followed in the car and she was doing 40 mph.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Apparently none of you have seen a Chihuahua with a case of the zoomies.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i completely spaced Memorial Day was this weekend. i have no plans!!
DOS=HIGH

Post by DOS=HIGH »

Paingod wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 6:45 am
My sister had a Husky/Border Collie mix, nuff said.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

hitbyambulance wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 2:45 am i completely spaced Memorial Day was this weekend. i have no plans!!
Work told us to take off at noon today... on an average memorial day weekend that might be useful.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Every Memorial Day since 1985 I remember my step dad was killed in a motorcycle wreck on this weekend. He was a kind and great guy.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Both my dad and my wife's dad died just before Memorial Day.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

It seems the older one tends to get the less they can see or reach of their own body.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Came a soaking thunderstorm today about 2pm. I have a pond in the backyard now. But my neighbor is out on his riding mower mowing away. Never heard of such a thing. No one mows when its wet never mind soon after such a soak.

I can barely mow after 3 days of pure sun because parts of the yard stay wet or damp even then. Plus my blade is dull and its a push mower mulcher. I dont have the side chute for it. So mulching is hell when its damp or I have to wait and the grass is a bit higher than it should be. Like 1" it seems lol. I need to wait until the end of next week though or the weekend because of showers due all week. And I cant get the dang blade off to sharpen it myself until I buy a wrench and I cant do that until next month. Damn need that stimulus. *shakes fist at the yard and such*
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Heres a little look back at Star Trek The Next Generation from 1987. Its written at the time by David Gerrold. he was the writer of Encounter at Farpoint among other Trek stuff..like the TOS ep The Trouble With Tribbles and the book The Galactic Whirlpool.

You can click to biggy it :) Its very strange to know they are all in their 60s and 70s now and that Wil Wheaton is 47 which puts him the same as as Stewart was when he took the role of Picard.

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 10:49 pm Heres a little look back at Star Trek The Next Generation from 1987. Its written at the time by David Gerrold. he was the writer of Encounter at Farpoint among other Trek stuff..like the TOS ep The Trouble With Tribbles and the book The Galactic Whirlpool.
On the rare occasion I am able to go to my favorite comic book store (about an hour and a half from here), I always pick up a a few issues of Starlog. They typically have them for a buck or two, and they're fun bathroom reading. It's great reading the speculation about upcoming shows when you know exactly what those shows ended up being. I was just reading preview of Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan the other day and reading about the huge reactions people where having to the leak that Spock might die, including threats of boycotts. It gave me a chuckle.
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

Daehawk wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 10:49 pm Heres a little look back at Star Trek The Next Generation from 1987. Its written at the time by David Gerrold. he was the writer of Encounter at Farpoint among other Trek stuff..like the TOS ep The Trouble With Tribbles and the book The Galactic Whirlpool.

You can click to biggy it :) Its very strange to know they are all in their 60s and 70s now and that Wil Wheaton is 47 which puts him the same as as Stewart was when he took the role of Picard.
nuqjatlh? Michael Dorn gets shafted.
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Back in the 90s we bought a big box of Starlog mags. They are in mint condition in sleeves and backings. I never did get around to reading them all. They are all Star Trek ones though As I recall. Back in the days when I was a super die hard Trek fan and bought about anything with Trek on it in it or about it.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Sudy

Post by Sudy »

When I scroll down it means I'm done with the video. Not, "I want the video to follow me in a tinier window". This shit is why people go postal.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Sudy wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 10:27 pm When I scroll down it means I'm done with the video. Not, "I want the video to follow me in a tinier window". This shit is why people go postal.
:lol: +infinity