Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Re: Random randomness

Post by Daehawk »

Always been a sugar eater but even as a kid I could never eat more than half a pancake. They are great and I love the flavor but half way is my go from "this is great!" to "Im gonna barf in one more bite" getting off point.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

^
weird

:wink:
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The history of the pancake is an interesting one. First invented in the Mesozoic Era by a Lithuanian inventor named Panifred Caik, it wasn't until the late 19th century that the recipe was altered by the lead singer of a Polish acoustic group. They took out the sand and replaced it with flour, which subsequently resulted in a sudden upturn in popularity. In the mid 20th century, the pancake was used as currency in pre WW2 Germany. This is where the popular phrase "That's not worth a plug pancake" originated.

The pancake really took off after a young Canadian banker by the name of Maipel Seerup discovered that the sticky sap that the trees in his backyard produced when he was cutting them down in order to create handcrafted statues of NSYNC members could be poured over pancakes for a delightful treat. Sadly, this discovery was only made after the tragic deaths of 27 of his fellow townsmen while experimenting with other pairings.

So there you have it. The ramblings of a guy who should be working, but is instead proving to the world that he should be on meds.
He won. Period.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Enlarge Image
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

There's a "House of Pancakes" in San Francisco on Taraval. It's a Chinese restaurant, and they serve Chinese wok-fried savory cakes, not this fluffy puffy Western stuff, as well as most of the other Chinese wok stuff.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/house-of-panca ... -francisco
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Brian

Post by Brian »

Haven't been there but we did visit the Millbrae Pancake House last time we were in the Bay area. They made some damn fine pancakes. The wife had the Hawaiian Waffle which she says was very good as well.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Kasey Chang wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 3:20 pm There's a "House of Pancakes" in San Francisco on Taraval. It's a Chinese restaurant, and they serve Chinese wok-fried savory cakes, not this fluffy puffy Western stuff, as well as most of the other Chinese wok stuff.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/house-of-panca ... -francisco
I would try this. Canton is one township over from I live (which used to be called Nankin). Where am I looking?

The whole nomenclature here is weird. The Ojibwe had such a good hunting ground they had to constantly negotiate keeping other Alongquin away from it. Consequently, the British came and took it from them and then named the area Lima, but then the Revolution happened so the US renamed the hunting grounds Canton, Nankin, and Pekin but then Hudson built a mall here so the renamed the town after it. Macy's closed last year, it seems like the city may follow...

Mmmm pancakes.
Holman

Post by Holman »

My youngest loves to get up early on the weekend and make pancakes for us.

He has mastered the technique, but occasionally we'll wind up with pancakes made with quadruple the required baking powder or something. (This actually makes them damn tasty.)
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Don't forget to sign up for the next Olney Pancake Race!
-mf
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

A guy can't wait to smoke a blunt on his SFO to LAX flight that he snuck into the restroom as soon as the plane's level and lit up. The plane diverted to SJC and he's now spending time in JAIL.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

dbt1949 wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 2:56 pm Enlarge Image
Oolong!
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

hepcat wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 2:31 pm The history of the pancake is an interesting one. First invented in the Mesozoic Era by a Lithuanian inventor named Panifred Caik,
Nope, his name would have been either Caikis or Caikus...
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Some people are incredibly gifted at finding my nerves, exposing one and the jabbing at it so repeatedly that I find myself at serious fault of not knowing how not to be frustrated in their presence. I need to find a version of me with better nerve coating. There are two of them in my office and I've had to play with them both all week and they have my cryptonite.

1) they have a vague idea of something they want and an expectation that their vague idea is actually a concrete reality in place.
2) they don't listen. They wait for you to finish responding and then repeat their fantasy.
3) they don't know how to describe much less define their own expectation
4) they have no working knowledge of the tools they use to do their jobs
5) they have a vague idea of something they want and an expectation that their vague idea is actually a concrete reality in place.
6) they don't listen. They wait for you to finish responding and then repeat their fantasy.

This personality is the one personality is the one. I used to pride myself in never losing my shit around people. I'm though I was the ideal CS. I'm very good at defusing hot problems with hot personalities and finding resolutions. I am now preemptively lose my shit around someone who proves to this person time and time again. That's gotta stop.

Lord help me if we ever we do teambuiding and the company locks me alone a room alone with my two nerve pushers for more than ten minutes.

It's Friday. It's Friday.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Talk.
Talk never ends.
:tjg:
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Crisper drawers in fridges. What makes a drawer in a fridge special and different than the rest of the fridge? Do they work and if so how and why?
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Max Peck wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:14 pm Crisper Drawers... How Do They Work?
Interesting. Well I threw our lettuce in there. Hope it lives.
morlac

Post by morlac »

Daehawk +1 Kitchen Appliances
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I am utterly and completely at my wits end. The Wonder Twins turn 5 in ten days...and one of them is still not toilet trained. He will go if we physically walk him into the bathroom (a small progress in and of itself), but he never takes the initiative to do it himself.

Honest to god, we have tried everything for the past two years. Every positive reinforcement technique known to man: sticker charts, kids toilets, fun underwear, treats if he uses it, reading on the potty, playing games on the potty, singing songs, legos/hot wheels/pokemon if he uses it, cheering and making a huge deal when he does go. Nada.

At the pediatrician's recommendation, we've tried negative reinforcement as well. Taking away toys if he goes in his pull-up, taking away ipod/video game time, not letting him go on playdates, not letting him play on the playground, all sort of threats and other consequences. Nothing.

He simply does not care. We tried just putting him in underwear, figuring that if he had an accident, he'd come tell us. Nope, he's perfectly happy to sit in his own filth and keep playing. He completely shrugs off taking away toys or other privileges, he's fine simply sitting on the floor singing to himself. Shaming doesn't work. Cheering doesn't work. We figured when Twin 1a figured it out (which he did months ago...he was a slow learner too), that Twin 1b would follow suit. Nothing.

I know that part of the issue stems from the bowel impaction he had back in September. The GI doc said it sometimes takes a year or so for all the internal muscles to get back to normal, but that his system functions just fine. Physically, there's nothing preventing him from using the toilet...he simply refuses to do so.

He's supposed to start kindergarten next month, and I'm seriously concerned that he won't be able to go, as the kids need to be 100% potty trained in order to start. We've threatened/begged/pleaded about that, but again...he doesn't care.

I honestly have no idea what the hell else to do at this point, other than hope he eventually figures it out. :grund:
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

A dear friend I met through work, her dad's funeral was today.

At the viewing yesterday she said she didn't know anybody so we sat together for an hour or so. The people there were all her dad's friends, which makes sense. We heard at least one good story about her dad, I encouraged her to ask the other people there if they wanted to tell more stories.

I went to the funeral mass today. I thought someone else from work (or someone I knew that way) would have come, but I was the only one. There were a lot of friends of her dad, and family and family friends of course. She gave a reading, as did her nieces. Her sister and niece sang a song during the ending procession.

Random random, just feeling sad for my friend. She's only around 35. She was a very late-born kid, same as me. But I'm a lot older than she is and my parents are still alive.
There is no hug button. Sad!
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

It's...strange not to know your dad's friends. I mean, not that you have to be friends with them, but it's odd that you wouldn't know them well enough to talk to them at your father's funeral.

When I attended the funerals of my parents, there were people from entire lifetimes there. From life long friends and acquaintances, to people they had just met in their last year or two of life. And I wouldn't call either of them particularly charismatic, although they were both extremely social in the first half of their lives, so I guess that's it. Still though, I knew about 90% of them, despite the fact that I am extremely anti-social and avoided social gatherings for decades (when I was finally old enough to not be forced to do things I didn't want to do).

I'm glad you were there for your co-worker/friend. It's tough losing a parent no matter the age, and feeling alone in the world during that time is particularly difficult.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Skiny, that sounds...difficult.

I have no advice for you, I'm only here to lend some sympathy. Everyone's kid has challenges and in this case it seems particularly frustrating both by the fact that this is something almost every kid gets past, eventually, as well as the difficulties involved, whether practical (gross) or negatively impacting other aspects of his growth (school).

You can at least take some solace in the fact that he will get there, eventually, even if it's insanely frustrating right now.

Good luck.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The death of a parent is a strange time at least for me. It was all surreal. I was sad and hurt but it was worse much later than at the time. I lost mom when I was 24 and dad when I was 33. But I had my wife for support. I had been with her since I was 18. Also I was raised by my grandma mainly. From birth to 7 it was grandma and grandpa and saw my mom sometimes and my dad on Sunday. Then Pa passed and I stayed with grandma still and was at dad's the whole weekend and saw mom on Tuesday. At 16 I moved to dads fully. But 2 years later met my wife and moved out. So I was not 100% with either mom and dad growing up. Still was hard but it seems to be worse at times now days. Sure miss them. Not to mention my in laws and extended family.

I hate funerals SOooo much. to this day roses or the smell of fresh flowers simply makes me think funeral home.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

GreenGoo wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:12 am It's...strange not to know your dad's friends. I mean, not that you have to be friends with them, but it's odd that you wouldn't know them well enough to talk to them at your father's funeral.
It's entirely possible that there were other factors behind that, like the parents moving after the kids went to college. The parents would have a different set of friends that the kids had never met. Add in 15 years for the old ones to fade away.

I lost my own mom and dad at 8 and 30, respectively.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Your mom was only eight?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Arkansas IHOP drew national ire when its manager tried to prohibit a 3-year old child, born without arms, to sit on the table and use his feet to feed himself. They apologized, but really, some common sense, sheesh.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I just watched an old ep of Hercules The Legendary Journeys from 1997. It was the one where him and a local girl enter a dance competition. It also had one of my favorite characters..The Widow Twanky...played by Michael Hurst who is usually Iolaus. For 45 amazing minutes I was back in the 1990s. Cheesy yes....amazingly fun yes! I miss this stuff. I may need to rewatch the entire series someday. Not laughed that much in a while. 21 years has passed. Damn

EDIT: Just watched another one. This one Herc's old love shows up with Ares' kid claiming it is Herc's son. Lots of fighting this time. Thinking on it actors and actresses are all around my age or a bit older so back then they were in their 20s and 30s too. Now we're all old haha. But damn the girls were hot and the clothes skimpy. Days gone by. Seems a different world to the shit we live in and hear about now days. Also still RIP to Kevin Smith who played Ares in the show. Died on another set 3 years after Hercules ended.
Last edited by Daehawk on Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

And on today's version of "Guess that Celebrity" we have...guess who?

Spoiler:
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Jet Li is looking great!
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Holman

Post by Holman »

Is he doing heroin chic?
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

He just finished shooting a movie where he plays a terminally ill guy, so my guess would be he lost weight for the role (doesn't mean he's not doing drugs...but doesn't necessarily mean that he's sick, either).
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Just finished watching The Longest Day without moving.
I think they ought to rename it to The Longest Movie.

Altho I do have a longer movie. Some Chinese movie I think it's called Red Cliff or something like that.
And Gettysburg.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Years ago I said I wanted movies about Deadpool, Dr Strange, and Lobo. They made two and I keep hoping for the Lobo one. It may be closer. But I still say it has to have Jason Momoa asthe Main Man.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/05/30/ ... as-a-movie
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

And Ive got another Hercules ready to watch online in a bit. This one is Herc and Autolycus....Bruce Campbell as The King of Theives....and Auto's old flame who took the rap for a theft years ago.

I dont understand why Im watching these and why Im enjoying them SO much. I haven't watched anything in about 4 years really. Yet maybe its because these take me back to a better time. Whatever Im having a good time again.

EDIT: HA! Autolycus' ex was Traci Lords as a showgirl and thief.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Big was released 30 years ago, today. That's insane! I wonder whatever happened to that Tom Hanks guy?
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Holman

Post by Holman »

Smoove_B wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:45 pm Big was released 30 years ago, today. That's insane! I wonder whatever happened to that Tom Hanks guy?
Tom Hanks? The guy on Bosom Buddies??
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

And oh what buddies those bosoms had.

Also, you're pushing 6 decades, Depp. Time to retire the...whatever that stuff is on your wrists, fingers and neck. We're probably not going to get another Woodstock. The ear thing should probably go too, but that's mostly just me.
Holman

Post by Holman »

GreenGoo wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:54 pm Also, you're pushing 6 decades, Depp. Time to retire the...whatever that stuff is on your wrists, fingers and neck. We're probably not going to get another Woodstock. The ear thing should probably go too, but that's mostly just me.
I've given up on Johnny Depp since learning about his domestic cruelties, but you can't blame him for following through on his Keith Richards discipleship.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Watching another Hercules. Cant seem to quit. This one is an earlier one..season 2...where Herc and Salmonius visit King Midas and his gambling casino lol. Not all is well there. Also I had forgotten that these earlier eps it was Sal that traveled as his sidekick a lot. Iolaus would come later I guess.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

How much better is everything when youare afforded the opportunity to lose the hurry, slow down and take stock. Though I'm not sure how you slow something down 4000% I thought if you slowed something 100% it is stopped.

I also remember the start up noise had a way of locking the computer.

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/arti ... e=vicefbuk