Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Re: Random randomness

Post by Daehawk »

I was surprised that after following a small path through the woods and up a small trail I found a neat computer gaming area.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I was more concerned by the baptism tub just past the stacks of Girls Gone Wild.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Apparently the property used to be a church (Bonaventure Boulevard Church of Christ) with an attached residence. It looks like it's currently being used for something like an eBay storefront. The basement seems so large because it's an entire second building connected through a basement passage to the house.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

If you read through the articles in the Twitter post, it was the site of a police raid years ago as they were selling stolen goods on eBay. I think I saw someone mention their eBay account had 18K listings. Anyway, I don't think it's been occupied for years (likely tied up over the crimes) and has been listed for sale as of last month.

It's an amazing experience to walk through. So much...interesting stuff.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The desk in the kitchen area has boxes labelled for tax receipts from 2015 through 2019, so if it's actually vacant it's probably only been for a year or so at most.

The police raid was back in 2014, though.
One person is under arrest after St. Matthews Police executed a search warrant for stolen property Tuesday.

Authorities say 50-year-old Troy Curtis faces charges of engaging in an organized crime syndication and receiving stolen property of more than $10,000.

St. Matthews Police say loss prevention officials from Kroger and Target were involved in the investigation. Detective Dennis McDonald says the search warrant was executed at 8800 Blue Lick Road in south Louisville.

The suspect's son, Trevor Curtis, says he lives at the home with his dad.
Last edited by Max Peck on Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Sony sure likes pulling the plug on services on their 'smart' AV equipment. anyone who owns a PS3 already knows this, but i got this free Blu-Ray player (BDP-s3500) and it was still on an few-years-old firmware. i updated it and instantly half of the supported streaming channels disappeared. the last update specifically removed the GraceNote CDDB lookup for audio CDs, and called it an 'improvement' in the release notes!

there also appears to be a memory leak in the firmware, as any given streaming app will work for a while before freezing, and then will freeze continually once exiting from the app to the Home menu, then trying again - the device needs to be unplugged at this point and rebooted. this problem is reported in many online AV forums, and there is, and will be, no further FW update.

this certainly makes the case for end-user updatable OSes and applications. i can't imagine in like another half decade, with all these old streaming appliances in the used bins/landfills with unsupported software...
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I wonder if all that stuff comes with the house?

If you spun me around and put me in that house Id probably starve before finding my way out. Thats not counting the Girls Gone Wild videos and a tv.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

How much for the cat?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I got a jar of horseradish sauerkraut mustard and I'm now having trouble justifying the presence of other mustards in my life. This is great, especially on the nicer deli meats you'd want to use a traditional spicy mustard with. The horseradish makes it ideal with roast beef as well. My only complaint is that it separates a little and can start to soak through a piece of rye.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Holman

Post by Holman »

Sudy wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:09 pm I got a jar of horseradish sauerkraut mustard and I'm now having trouble justifying the presence of other mustards in my life. This is great, especially on the nicer deli meats you'd want to use a traditional spicy mustard with. The horseradish makes it ideal with roast beef as well. My only complaint is that it separates a little and can start to soak through a piece of rye.
CDC investigating Multistate Outbreak of Listeria Infections Linked to Deli Meats
Key Points:

* 10 people infected with the outbreak strain of Listeria monocytogenes have been reported from 3 states. All 10 people were hospitalized. One death has been reported from Florida.
*Ill people have reported eating Italian-style meats, such as salami, mortadella, and prosciutto.
*People have reported purchasing both prepackaged deli meats and meats sliced at deli counters. The investigation is ongoing to determine if there is a specific type of deli meat or common supplier linked to illness.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Bah, Listeria monocytogenes is no match for horseradish and sauerkraut.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Thank you for the warning! I'm in Ontario and haven't heard of any issues locally. Most of what I've been binging on was from a smaller Jewish deli that processes a lot of their own foods, but that doesn't mean some of the affected supply isn't cross-border. As far as I'm aware the only negative affects I'm suffering are the natural results of binging on deli food all weekend.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Shows up 4 weeks later.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

This kishka and knish won't keep that long. I think I'm going to have to risk it.

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Sudy wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:58 pm This kishka and knish won't keep that long. I think I'm going to have to risk it.
This is code. I know it. What the hell are you planning!?!?
He won. Period.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

hepcat wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:02 pm
Sudy wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:58 pm This kishka and knish won't keep that long. I think I'm going to have to risk it.
This is code. I know it. What the hell are you planning!?!?
The Tim Horton insurrection?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I never trusted those shifty Canadian donut slingers. :x
He won. Period.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

93rd Royal Canadian Doughnut Slingers, best outfit the Canadians have.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

dbt1949 wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:40 pm 93rd Royal Canadian Doughnut Slingers, best outfit the Canadians have.
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Are we insurrecting against Tim Horton's, or are they insurrecting against us? I believe they already tried and failed to invade you... I only see locations in Michigan, Indiana, and Ohio now. We don't want 'em here. Well, I don't. They haven't put out a good product since the 90s. These days their doughnuts are like bad Krispy Kremes, and I don't even think Krispy Kreme is that great (unless you want cavities). But we've had that conversation here before I think. Tim's doesn't even make them fresh in store anymore. I remember when they had fresh-made Boston creams bigger than my fist and they weren't sugar bombs... the dough was light.

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Why the hell are you asking us??? You're the one that signaled the start of the insurrection with your kishka and knish code phrase.

Side note: does anyone know how to get poutine stains off a machete?
He won. Period.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Licking.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

That's your answer to every question on OO though.
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Keep him out of the Covid threads.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Not licking.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Sudy wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:20 am Are we insurrecting against Tim Horton's, or are they insurrecting against us? I believe they already tried and failed to invade you... I only see locations in Michigan, Indiana, and Ohio now. We don't want 'em here. Well, I don't. They haven't put out a good product since the 90s. These days their doughnuts are like bad Krispy Kremes, and I don't even think Krispy Kreme is that great (unless you want cavities). But we've had that conversation here before I think. Tim's doesn't even make them fresh in store anymore. I remember when they had fresh-made Boston creams bigger than my fist and they weren't sugar bombs... the dough was light.
About the only thing fresh about them anymore are the sandwiches, cookies, and coffee.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

They made reasonably good Panini the last I remember. Also, I was pretty happy with the 2 sausage, egg, and cheese bagels for $3. I was a fairly regular customer with that offering. I get to breakfast sandwiches and use coupon for 10 Timbits for $1 and have breakfast and treats for 2 for under $5. I haven't been since that deal went away. :o

What is "good" about Tim Horton's is they invaded so they are ubiquitous. They are to my corner of Michigan what the jokes used to be about Starbucks being everywhere. They are in many gas stations, they have built many stores, they have shared space with many Wendy's, and they have taken over many closed chains. There are three or four Tim Horton's (depending on the route I take) on the 4 mile commute between my home and the main express I use.

... I've never had Tim Horton's coffee... Weird, huh?

I do remember commercials on the radio in the 80s/early 90s before I ever actually saw one. I remember the crazy Scottish sounding guy you used to expect jumping at you from out of what appeared to be woods brandishing a knife and a bar of soap screaming "IT'S GOT TWO DEODORANTS" moved on to screaming "ROLL UP THE RIM TO WIN."

This left me with two lasting impressions:

1) Why do a Canadian coffee shop and Irish soap brand use someone with a thick Scottish accent as a spokesperson?
2) I think I will always need a translator to understand the Scottish accent. I love the sound of the accent but I'll be damned if I can hear the words. I adore me some Frightened Rabbit (RIP Scott Hutchinson) but I needed lyric sheets on every song. :o

And I'm sure I said it before but doughnuts cooking always smell fantastic. Doughnuts always seem like a treat. But then I have a doughnut and I remember I don't really like doughnuts... except cake doughnuts. And this should be the time of year to get the freshest and bestest of cake doughnuts, the still hot when they go in the bag cider doughnut. And I'll be heathen here, and say I want a fresh chocolate cider doughnut, not a cinnamon cider doughnut.... Soooo good....

And then to go one step further. I only like cake doughnuts but I'm not a fan of cake. Give me pie. Cookies. I'll never say no to a brownie. Cake, meh.

Which brings me to the very core of this thread, why isn't square pizza recognized as the best way to pizza? Pizza at its best is like a brownie. Squareness and being contained creates the texture and mix of flavor that make the food transcend merely being baked. The idea of a round and, heaven forbid, uncontained and edgeless brownie is just craziness.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:15 pm
And then to go one step further. I only like cake doughnuts but I'm not a fan of cake. Give me pie. Cookies. I'll never say no to a brownie. Cake, meh.
maybe you're eating cake from the wrong country... https://www.indulgewithmimi.com/no-bake ... repe-cake/
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Maybe, send me some.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I only like the local bakery donuts, Krispy Kreme donuts(glazed only) and both KK and Dunkin donut holes (glazed only). I haven't had Dunkin in at least 35 years and they built one right next to me. And KK is in another town so difficult to go. So bakery it is and then for chocolate burgers, lemon filled, raspberry filled, and creme horns.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im reminded again how times change. Out of passing time and some fun I looked at Lowes real Christmas trees. In the 1990s we bought live ones there. At a guess the last one we got live was around 1994'ish and it was already drying out as a lot of needle fell onto the carpet stuff in the trunk of the Trans-Am. I never did get a bunch out even years and years later.

Anyways back then live trees in the 9 foot range of good species were $20. Thats it..$20. Actually $19.99. Now the same types are $70 - $150. Crazy times. Really really not worth it unless you buy the type with rootball and plan to plant it....but then they'd be even costlier.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Theres a bunch of arachnids living on your face right now.

Meet The Mites That Live On Your Face
It might give you the creepy-crawlies, but you almost certainly have tiny mites living in the pores of your face right now.

They're known as Demodex or eyelash mites, and just about every adult human alive has a population living on them.

The mostly transparent critters are too small to see with the naked eye. At about 0.3 millimeters long, it would would take about five adult face mites laid end to end to stretch across the head of a pin.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I remember a reality show back in the 60s 0r 70s that had this anomaly in one of their segments.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I can't believe Google is down. :shock:
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:16 pmTheres a bunch of arachnids living on your face right now.
Stopping to ponder how we're all walking ecosystems can be disturbing, like looking far too closely at whatever you're eating.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well the storm is gone. Trees down in many places and lots of water. Nothing bad here. But tomorrow we wake up to temps 30 degrees colder than today.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:16 pm Theres a bunch of arachnids living on your face right now.

Meet The Mites That Live On Your Face
Face mites are so May of 2019. All the cool kids are talking about whale lice.

Here’s your yearly spooky szn reminder that the patches on Southern Right Whales, usually mistaken as “Barnacles,” are actually rough patches of skin filled with whale lice called cyamids! Each whale has a unique pattern, allowing researchers to ID individuals over decades
:shock:
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

In that free Epic Store game of Ghostbusters they gave away Ray was complaining about how early they start Christmas now.....game was set in 1991. He said...

"They start Christmas before Halloween now. Santa Claus showed up to my door dressed as Dracula."
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

For the first time (maybe) ever, I didn't buy a sacrificial bag of candy in case any childrens come to our door. They've only done that maybe five times in 31 years but I usually buy a bag of peanut butter cups just in case. The next day I eat one and Wife takes the rest to work. But this year, I'm not opening my door to any little germ bags, and since Wife doesn't go to work -- or anywhere else -- anymore, I'd wind up either eating that whole bag of candy or throwing it away. So I'm not even going through the usual charade.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well now you've just jinxed yourself. Everyone knows that not having a bag of candy means entire buses of trick or treaters pull up to your house.