Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Re: Random randomness

Post by ImLawBoy »

So, I go the grocery store with the twins. My wife is at home with the oldest kid taking classes toward her doctorate. I buy our groceries for the week - it's a lot of stuff. It's also a week when we have a lot of non-edible purchasing - detergent, toothpaste, contact solution, etc. I reach for my wallet - and it's not there. Shit. I left it at home.

I ask if I can just give them our credit card number, and even though we're well known at this grocery store, they won't let us do it. Best they can do is put our shopping in the cooler and I can come back and get it. I agree to this when the guy at the next register over gets my attention. He's holding out his credit card at me. I tell him I can't, and he says he'll give me his phone number and we can send him the money. It's an expensive week - over $400. This guy took a huge risk that he didn't have to. We sent him the money and he acknowledged receipt. That was really nice.

Then on Sunday morning, my wife noticed that the food in the refrigerator seemed not really all that refrigerated. We were able to salvage much of the of the produce, but dairy and meat were right out.

The weird thing is that the freezer and ice maker are still working great. I don't get it.

The moral is, Samsung appliances suck ass.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:03 am My wife is at home with the oldest kid taking classes toward her doctorate.
I don't know your kid, but I'll wager she would do better taking those classes herself.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im back to wondering when that Star Trek convention me and my wife went to in the early 90s was. Ive even asked Q himself John De Lancie and he doesn't recall. I cant find it in any of his stuff and I plan to call the auditorium tomorrow. I doubt they have records.

What I DO know is...

The Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Auditorium was closed for repairs from 1988 to 1991.
On the way down I remember hearing The Spin Doctors on the car radio. It was either Two Princes or Little Miss Cant Be Wrong...Im thinking Two Princes. It came out 1992 and Little Miss was 1993. Unfortunately they were both on a album released in 1991.
I wore a STV jacket we had made ourselves. I was even on the news that night as after we got home we saw me on tv lol. Of course STV came out like 1989 so no help.

I have no idea who put on the convention. It HAD to be 91 late or 92 or 93 anytime. John De Lancie was the guest. I spoke to him and got his autograph on a photo. But he doesn't recall Chattanooga then. The rumor was next year was to be Deforest Kelley. But I didn't go...doh. Im not sure he showed or if they had it as I cant find a record of him in Chattanooga around that time either.

Why is this so difficult??
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:11 am It was either Two Princes or Little Miss Cant Be Wrong...Im thinking Two Princes. It came out 1992 and Little Miss was 1993.
i haaaate to admit that i know anything about this band at all, but you have the release dates of those singles confused with each other. "Two Princes" was inescapable on commercial radio in 1993, so i'd say that's probablylikely the year you're thinking of.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:03 am The weird thing is that the freezer and ice maker are still working great. I don't get it.

With our refrigerator, we had the fan go out. Apparently the cold is generated in the freezer and then blown into the refrigerator part. Does the freezer seem colder than normal? Or is some of the stuff in the fridge part frozen while the rest is warm? We have a bottom freezer; we noticed that the stuff on the bottom of the fridge part (right above the freezer) was almost frozen while the stuff at the top was warm.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:03 amThe moral is, Samsung appliances suck ass.
I’ve got a new Samsung washer and dryer about 5 years ago. Just gave up on the dryer this week after the 3rd repair attempt. Washer is still kicking despite a recall, a dislodged water pump hose, and as of last week: a class action lawsuit!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

hitbyambulance wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:45 am
Daehawk wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:11 am It was either Two Princes or Little Miss Cant Be Wrong...Im thinking Two Princes. It came out 1992 and Little Miss was 1993.
i haaaate to admit that i know anything about this band at all, but you have the release dates of those singles confused with each other. "Two Princes" was inescapable on commercial radio in 1993, so i'd say that's probablylikely the year you're thinking of.
All I know is what WIKI says lol..it can be wrong.
"Little Miss Can't Be Wrong" is a song by American rock group Spin Doctors. It was released in October 1992 as the lead single from their 1991 debut album Pocket Full of Kryptonite.[2] Live versions of "What Time Is It?" and "Freeway of the Plains" (mistakenly titled "Freeway of Plains" on the single) were included as its B-side.[1] The single reached number 17 on the Billboard Hot 100 and number two on Mainstream Rock Tracks. It also reached number five in New Zealand, its highest chart position anywhere, and ended 1993 as the country's 41st best-selling single.
"Two Princes" is a song by American rock group Spin Doctors. Released as a single in 1993, it reached No. 7 in the United States, No. 2 in Canada, and No. 3 in the United Kingdom and Australia. It was the band's highest-charting single internationally. It earned them a Grammy Award nomination for Best Rock Performance by a Duo or Group.[
I could almost swear we went early in the year though...like March perhaps. I cant find when Two Princes was released other than the year. So Im 'pretty sure' its Little Miss Cant Be Wrong that I heard in the car. At that time I dont recall a second hit yet. So still thinking early 93.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:03 pm
hitbyambulance wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:45 am
All I know is what WIKI says lol..it can be wrong.
"Little Miss Can't Be Wrong" is a song by American rock group Spin Doctors. It was released in October 1992 as the lead single from their 1991 debut album Pocket Full of Kryptonite.[2] Live versions of "What Time Is It?" and "Freeway of the Plains" (mistakenly titled "Freeway of Plains" on the single) were included as its B-side.[1] The single reached number 17 on the Billboard Hot 100 and number two on Mainstream Rock Tracks. It also reached number five in New Zealand, its highest chart position anywhere, and ended 1993 as the country's 41st best-selling single.
"Two Princes" is a song by American rock group Spin Doctors. Released as a single in 1993, it reached No. 7 in the United States, No. 2 in Canada, and No. 3 in the United Kingdom and Australia. It was the band's highest-charting single internationally. It earned them a Grammy Award nomination for Best Rock Performance by a Duo or Group.[
I could almost swear we went early in the year though...like March perhaps. I cant find when Two Princes was released other than the year. So Im 'pretty sure' its Little Miss Cant Be Wrong that I heard in the car. At that time I dont recall a second hit yet. So still thinking early 93.
wikipedia is actually also correct, both in the part you quoted and with this:

but if it's actually your original memory that's at question, i have nothing more to say. (and since this concerns a really annoying band, i will also hope this never comes up again)
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

TheMix wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:16 am
ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:03 am The weird thing is that the freezer and ice maker are still working great. I don't get it.

With our refrigerator, we had the fan go out. Apparently the cold is generated in the freezer and then blown into the refrigerator part. Does the freezer seem colder than normal? Or is some of the stuff in the fridge part frozen while the rest is warm? We have a bottom freezer; we noticed that the stuff on the bottom of the fridge part (right above the freezer) was almost frozen while the stuff at the top was warm.
I called around to a few emergency repair places, and eventually Jerry just told me what he assumed it was. Not too long ago, the fridge was making quite a racket. Internet sleuthing told me it was ice build-up getting hit by the fan, and the solution was to use a hair dryer aimed into the vent holes to clear things up. It worked!

When I explained this to my new best friend Jerry, he said that my temporary fix made things worse. He explained that the cooling from the fridge all came from one source - the freezer. If the freezer was working but the fresh food area was not, I now likely had a full ice blockage preventing any cold air from coming up. He said he could charge me to come out and tell me this, but my best bet was to empty it, unplug it, and let it go to room temperature. Spending 20 minutes with a hair dryer from the bottom (i.e., the freezer) would be wise, too.

Since it was well below freezing all weekend, we put the freezer contents on the back porch and kept the rest in coolers on ice. Jerry even called me back later in the day to see how things were going. Things seem to be working OK again, but we're keeping a close eye on things. Because, you know, Samsung appliances suck ass.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Indian record label claimed "copyright infringement"... on a blog run by Indian copyright lawyers SpicyIP. Specifically, they believe an article posted on SpicyIP back in 2010, explaining that a particular song had a long origin and traced the lineage, somehow violated their copyright.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

wonderpug wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:51 am
ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:03 amThe moral is, Samsung appliances suck ass.
I’ve got a new Samsung washer and dryer about 5 years ago. Just gave up on the dryer this week after the 3rd repair attempt. Washer is still kicking despite a recall, a dislodged water pump hose, and as of last week: a class action lawsuit!
We had a Samsung dishwasher for a few years. It was terrible and stopped working shortly after the very limited warranty expired.

I love their TVs but would never buy another Samsung appliance.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I love our old Samsung phone. Bout all I got.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Page 684 was almost this time last year. Next month it will be. Almost 100 pages since then. If only I could go back to that normal life with my wife.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Had no idea Chattanooga had one of these...

http://submergemag.com/food-drink/coin-op-game-room/

Enlarge Image
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

You know what movie needed a 20th anniversary theater release?

Not this one...

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Nice to see Reese making it small time.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Shame about how sick Selma Blair is now. Too young.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

ABC News
A homeless veteran pleaded guilty Wednesday in New Jersey federal court to conspiring with a woman and her then-boyfriend to concoct a feel-good story that helped raise hundreds of thousands of dollars from a GoFundMe campaign.

The veteran, Johnny Bobbitt, 36, pleaded guilty to one count of conspiracy to commit money laundering.

The woman, Kate McClure, 28, pleaded guilty to one count of conspiracy to commit wire fraud.

Bobbitt, McClure, and her then-boyfriend Mark D'Amico, who still all face state charges in Burlington County, New Jersey, were accused of fabricating a feel-good story about Bobbitt coming to McClure’s aid when she ran out of gas along the highway and gave her his last $20.
McClure faces up to 20 years in prison and a $250,000 fine. Her sentencing is scheduled for June 19.

Bobbitt could be sentenced to a maximum of 10 years in prison. He will be sentenced at a later date, prosecutors said.

Bobbitt will appear in drug court in Mount Holly on Friday related to the state charges for this incident.

The guilty pleas in federal court do not impact the case out of Burlington County, a spokesman for the prosecutor's office said.

McClure, D'Amico and Bobbitt have all plead not guilty to the state charges against them.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

What is Stephan Colbert going to do for a living once Trump is no longer in office? His schtick is funny but he doesn't do much else in the way of jokes. He's a one trick pony. :horse:
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

dbt1949 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:36 am What is Stephan Colbert going to do for a living once Trump is no longer in office? His schtick is funny but he doesn't do much else in the way of jokes. He's a one trick pony. :horse:
Hopefully we'll find out soon.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Didn't Ted Cruz get re-elected for 6 years?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Yes, but those are dog years.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

dbt1949 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:36 am What is Stephan Colbert going to do for a living once Trump is no longer in office? His schtick is funny but he doesn't do much else in the way of jokes. He's a one trick pony. :horse:
He plays to what's relevant. When drumpf is no longer relevant, he'll do something else.

That said, I felt he was really struggling to be entertaining after leaving his conservative persona behind. John Oliver's show is more clever, more entertaining and more informative than Colbert's. Hell, I find a fair number of Colbert's drumpf jokes are whiffs. He does hit a few out of the park as well though.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Fleabag. Season 2 episode 1.

Get your hands off my miscarriage.

This show is back with a vengeance. Anyone with a family will appreciate this dinner episode.

Christ on a pogo stick. So funny.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Think Im going to have to go to a different doctor come the first nice day....maybe next Tuesday. That fall did a number on my left hand and arm. My hand is still painfully sore. Its not swollen now but I cant grip super strong with it and I cant move my fingers well in certain ways. Like I can make a fist fine but if I pinch my index finger and thumb together theres some pain. Then middle finger and thumb barely work...ring finger to thumb is almost a no go and pinky to thumb hurts and gets nowhere close to touching.

And now my entire arm is starting to have a semi falling asleep feel to it...like the nerve is hurt. Its the same shoulder that has bad arthritis in it. About 5 years ago I had to have my pain doc at that time put a shot into it. So it could all be worse than I thought.

My right hand is still sore but I can use it it just is sore still. But so is my left knee that hit the ground along with my hands. Ive called the hospital walk in I went to twice begging for a return call with an update on my xray but nothing from them. If my left hand is broken or cracked I cant let it go for weeks and have it heal wrong.
Last edited by Daehawk on Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Holman

Post by Holman »

There will be terrible politicians after Trump.

Seriously, though, he's a very good talk-show host. His comic timing is great, probably Johnny Carson level.

I dream of a world where he tilts and spars with mere celebrities rather than catastrophes.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Colbert needed to commit to his new persona, and the Trump jokes helped him rediscover his voice.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

Meanwhile... Ahhhhh people love Meanwhile.

Colbert is funny regardless of the subject.
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

I'm happy for Jon Stewart. He would have had a heart attack.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Brian wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:46 pm Random thought #1.

I wonder if anybody would say anything if I washed my entire car using the window washing fluid and sponge/squeegee tool at the gas station?

Random thought #2.

I am a creepy, perverted old man and should stop attending my daughters high school choir recitals as there are girls in choir that are shockingly attractive and I find myself thinking impure thoughts while looking over my shoulder to see if Chris Hansen is in the room.

Random thought #3.

I hope my wife doesn't read this.

Random thought #4.

What the sh*t is it with people replacing letters in swear words with asterisks? Wh* th* fuck d* th*y th*nk th*y'r* f**l*ng?

Brian! What the hell did you start! This thread just passed 10 years old a few days ago. That's ~75 pages and 3,000 posts a year for a decade, much of it randomly random.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Brian

Post by Brian »

Just so long as nobody quotes Monty Python.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Enlarge Image
The Dude wrote:That meme really tied the thread together.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Could almost pay for itself in server fees ;)
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I have a conference call with a major client in Uganda early this morning. I wanted to be in the office by 6:30am to review my presentation (call starts at 7:30), so in preparation last night, I turned off all my devices early, triple-checked my alarm to make sure it was set, and went to bed about an hour before usual. Figured that should help me get in the office on time and ready to go, right?

After tossing and turning for about 2 hours, I finally fell asleep right around midnight. I then proceeded to wake up about every 20-30 minutes in a complete panic because I thought that I had somehow slept through the alarm (that I triple-checked was set). I was also woken up three times by either the dog (she was chasing something in her dream and sleep-running like crazy in her kennel) or the cats (who twice decided that my crotch was the perfect spot for them to start a 3am game of tag).

I'm now starting my day completely exhausted, I feel like my head is in a fog, and I'm banking on the No-Doz I took 15 minutes ago to somehow get me through the next couple hours without sounding like a complete jackass.

Yay, Monday! :coffee:
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

My radio said Sleepy Monday (after we set the clocks ahead) has the most accidents of any day of the year. You are not alone!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Kraken wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:20 am My radio said Sleepy Monday (after we set the clocks ahead) has the most accidents of any day of the year. You are not alone!
There's an undeniable spike but I don't know if it's the most of any day of the year. Certain holidays probably have more.

Or just August 2nd.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

On Friday when I was getting ready to go out with the wife, I reached I to my pocket and a collar stay jammed itself under, and deep into, my finger nail on my middle finger. Blood gushed forth. If I recall, it's actually a method of torture. I understand why.

Boy v 2.8 likes to pick up stuff and put it in my jeans pockets when they're on the floor or the valet. Which explains the unexpected torture device in the pocket.

Finger still hurts today.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:03 am
Kraken wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:20 am My radio said Sleepy Monday (after we set the clocks ahead) has the most accidents of any day of the year. You are not alone!
There's an undeniable spike but I don't know if it's the most of any day of the year. Certain holidays probably have more.

Or just August 2nd.
So soon after the July effect, too.
Holman

Post by Holman »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:09 am On Friday when I was getting ready to go out with the wife, I reached I to my pocket and a collar stay jammed itself under, and deep into, my finger nail on my middle finger. Blood gushed forth. If I recall, it's actually a method of torture. I understand why.

Boy v 2.8 likes to pick up stuff and put it in my jeans pockets when they're on the floor or the valet. Which explains the unexpected torture device in the pocket.

Finger still hurts today.
Arrgh!

A few months back I quickly reached down to empty the dishwasher and caught the tip of a knife under my nail.

I would have signed a confession then and there.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.