Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

Re: Random randomness

Post by Isgrimnur »

My childhood neighborhood: Zach Collins (NBA)
My high school: Buddy Holly
My current bedroom community didn't make it.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

I'm surprised that some soap-opera star named John Brotherton is the most searched - I would argue Katee Sackhoff has him beat but that might just be the nerd in me talking.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I'm the most famous person in my neighborhood.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Childhood Neighborhood: Frank S. Black, editor & politician from 1895.
High School: Anna Kendrick, actress & singer, she probably spent a lot of time on the same auditorium steps I did.
Current City: Juliana Hatfield, singer & songwriter (Lemonheads & other groups)
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
stessier

Post by stessier »

How are you guys finding out the high school info?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Childhood neighborhood: Muddy Waters
Current neighborhood: Al Capone
My high school: Diablo Cody
My kid's current school: uh, Anthony Weiner
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Next door neighbor's kid has started learning to play the bagpipes.

And he practices for 1-2 hours every day.

Outside.

:grund:
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

7:10 am this morning, 105.9 FM news radio. The newscaster noted that we're expecting thunderstorms tomorrow...and he said some of them would be real "snotrockers".

I love that and will now add it to my vocabulary.
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

You'll be getting in early.

Paingod

Post by Paingod »

stessier wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 8:53 amHow are you guys finding out the high school info?
I Google'd her name to make sure I knew who I was talking about and saw she attended the same high school I did.
Black Lives Matter

stessier

Post by stessier »

I don't want to be at work today. Motivation is very low. And I still have to clean the popcorn machine. I hate cleaning that thing. *sigh*
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Brian

Post by Brian »

I have a movie theater style popcorn machine at home that we use at least a couple of times a month.

Cleaning it does kinda suck. Taking it completely apart and REALLY cleaning it is a daunting and laborious task nearly equal to one of the labors of Hercules. (Also, I cut the shit out of my thumb putting it back together.)

Maybe that's why the instruction manual explicitly states DO NOT DISASSEMBLE FOR CLEANING.

Enlarge Image
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

NO DISASSEMBLE!
stessier

Post by stessier »

Below is the one we have (although a different color). Takes me about 45 minutes to clean it. Everyone tells me it nearly looks new when I'm done, so I feel good about not making anyone sick. But it's still annoying. Have you found a good way to get the kettle clean? I do a good job, but there is still some staining on the bottom where something (likely carbohydrates) have caramelized. I get most of it off, but am still searching for a way to get it all.

Enlarge Image
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

We have a similar popper on the counter. I stare at it while I make popcorn in my sauté pan. It proved to be a novel item, but a pain to clean.
Black Lives Matter

stessier

Post by stessier »

I make 80-90 bags every Friday. That would be a lot of saute pan's worth. :)
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

stessier wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 2:01 pmI make 80-90 bags every Friday. That would be a lot of saute pan's worth. :)
I make a little more than 1 cup of popcorn and it pushes the lid of the pan up as it gets close to done. Unlike electric poppers, I've yet to have it burn my popcorn.

How many cups of popcorn kernels go into 1 "bag" ... ?
Black Lives Matter

stessier

Post by stessier »

Paingod wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 2:05 pm
stessier wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 2:01 pmI make 80-90 bags every Friday. That would be a lot of saute pan's worth. :)
I make a little more than 1 cup of popcorn and it pushes the lid of the pan up as it gets close to done. Unlike electric poppers, I've yet to have it burn my popcorn.

How many cups of popcorn kernels go into 1 "bag" ... ?
I make 8-9 of these. Each one of those is about 10 bags of popped corn - so it's about 1 oz of kernels per bag I guess. Also, I've never burned a batch. A helper who tried to make a batch in my absence did when she forgot to turn on the stirrer bar, but that's the only time it's happened. Pretty hard to burn really - when it stops popping, you dump it and refill. Takes about 50 minutes for me to pop, portion, and distribute on my own. Goes slightly faster if I have help with the distributing (doesn't help with portioning as I can fill 10 bags in the time it takes to pop a kettle).

Enlarge Image
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

HOw are you folks doing High School?
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I just looked at my high school's wikipedia page and picked the most prominent name in the "notable alumni" section.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

AWS260 wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 3:55 pm I just looked at my high school's wikipedia page and picked the most prominent name in the "notable alumni" section.
Now I feel jilted. My old HS was a damned college campus churning us out over a thousand a year and the most recognizable graduate listed is Doogie Howser's husband. I mean, I see gold medalists and a leading cancer researcher apparently I even knew the first woman drafted in the WNBA but no one knows these people. My memory was that Rockets and 707 went my school and that was about as famous as it got. But I'm guessing I remember these bands based on proximity and they weren't widely recognized.

I loved the Rockets

I think the Kavorkians went to my school but it's kind of blurry. I hung out with them which made it seem like they went to my school but I don't remember ever seeing them there and I know Universal Stomp did but I don't think ether of them made it as big the Rockets.

Edit: It occurs to me by the time Kavorkians "broke" they were the Suicide Machines.
Last edited by LordMortis on Fri May 31, 2019 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Woody Hayes was a football coach at my high school back in the 1930s.

Yeah, I got nothin'.

Oh wait, our school rivalry with Dover, Ohio was voted "the best small town rivalry in the U.S.A." by USA Today back in 2014.

Yeah, I still got nothin'.
He won. Period.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Ever sneezed on the shitter and totally launch a rocket? No? Yeah, me neither.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It’s snotROCKER, not rocket.
He won. Period.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

hitbyambulance wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 1:50 pm
Paingod wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 12:35 pm I contacted Leatherman and they told me why... all of their products have a "Lifetime" (25 year) guarantee.
Tweezerman is the same. i've always had great customer service from them.
So the tool came back, but it's like 80% new. They didn't just replace the blade I broke the tip from. They replaced pretty much everything except the frame, bottle opener, and fold-out flat head screwdriver. Even the pliers are new with an improved wire cutter center.

I'm of mixed feelings. On one hand - cool! New blades, files, saws, pliers, and bits. On the other hand - it feels like not the same multi-tool that has been a precious gift my wife gave me and it's lost years of character I've added to it. I had specified to their repair department what I was hoping they'd fix - and that the tool was of sentimental value to me. My wife thinks I'm nuts that I'd even care. I'm not angry as much as I am disappointed by excessive service? It's hard to put to words.

I suppose it's like bringing your vintage auto in to get the tires rotated and having the mechanic pull out the backseat you lost your virginity on and replace it with a nicer back seat.
Black Lives Matter

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Paingod wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:31 pm My wife thinks I'm nuts that I'd even care.
Your wife and I finally agree on something.

I am not known for my sentimentality.

I am, on the hand, known for my mentality.
Paingod wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:31 pm I suppose it's like bringing your vintage auto in to get the tires rotated and having the mechanic pull out the backseat you lost your virginity on and replace it with a nicer back seat.
It's like getting your virginity back!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I'm of mixed feelings. On one hand - cool! New blades, files, saws, pliers, and bits. On the other hand - it feels like not the same multi-tool that has been a precious gift my wife gave me and it's lost years of character I've added to it. I had specified to their repair department what I was hoping they'd fix - and that the tool was of sentimental value to me. My wife thinks I'm nuts that I'd even care. I'm not angry as much as I am disappointed by excessive service? It's hard to put to words.
I know exactly how you feel. Stuff my wife got me that I either replaced or sold is not the same thing if I got one again because its not the one she got me. Like my Sega Genesis and SNES. I was dumb and sold them in 1995 and Ive regretted it ever since. I could always buy another of each but why? Its not the same.

The last thing this happened on was a PC mouse. She bought it for me for Xmas I think 2016. It broke in 4 months and they replaced it. But I hesitated to send it in but my wife talked sense into me as usual and I got the replacement. Though to me its just not the same.

And no this isn't about her being gone stuff. This was all stuff when she was still here. Ive always been this way with everything I own. Broken crap I keep because it has meaning to me or a memory attached to it. Im not a hoarder but I do have a touch of something lol.....and some OCD.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
stessier

Post by stessier »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:48 pm
Paingod wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:31 pm My wife thinks I'm nuts that I'd even care.
Your wife and I finally agree on something.

I am not known for my sentimentality.
Preach, brother!
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

My high school was built in 1959. I think the house I grew up in was built in 1961. I remember the date in some backyard concrete.

Anyway, probably the most famous people from the school and neighborhood are Warren Zevon and Joana Kerns, although it had a few athletes who did well. Also Victor Conte, the founder of Balco. I knew a Conte in high school and I wonder now if they were brothers.
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:48 pm I am not known for my sentimentality.
Hi. I'm Coop.

I can't imagine having an emotional attachment to blades in a Leatherman nor being anything short of ecstatic that 1) they fixed a blade for nuttin' but 2) they made a bunch of less functional non complaint stuff more functional.

I'm trying to think of a stuff for which I would be disappointed at someone making it more usable for free with no strings or needs for commitment at the expense of my love for that specific thing and the closest I come might be a book or an album or maybe an event T Shirt but for the life of me I can't come up with a specific one.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Paingod wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:31 pm
hitbyambulance wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 1:50 pm
Paingod wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 12:35 pm I contacted Leatherman and they told me why... all of their products have a "Lifetime" (25 year) guarantee.
Tweezerman is the same. i've always had great customer service from them.
So the tool came back, but it's like 80% new. They didn't just replace the blade I broke the tip from. They replaced pretty much everything except the frame, bottle opener, and fold-out flat head screwdriver. Even the pliers are new with an improved wire cutter center.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_of_Theseus
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:46 pm
coopasonic wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:48 pm I am not known for my sentimentality.
Hi. I'm Coop.

I can't imagine having an emotional attachment to blades in a Leatherman nor being anything short of ecstatic that 1) they fixed a blade for nuttin' but 2) they made a bunch of less functional non complaint stuff more functional.

I'm trying to think of a stuff for which I would be disappointed at someone making it more usable for free with no strings or needs for commitment at the expense of my love for that specific thing and the closest I come might be a book or an album or maybe an event T Shirt but for the life of me I can't come up with a specific one.
I could see it with a musical instrument. Say I had an old banjo that I had been playing for years, and through wear and changes to the wood, the tone had developed into what it currently is. I bring the banjo in to have a couple of tuning knobs replaced, and at the same time the replaced the nut and the bridge that changes something, very slight, in the tone of the instrument. It still plays fine, but something is different.

That's where I could see you would care.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

hentzau wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:08 pm I could see it with a musical instrument. Say I had an old banjo that I had been playing for years, and through wear and changes to the wood, the tone had developed into what it currently is. I bring the banjo in to have a couple of tuning knobs replaced, and at the same time the replaced the nut and the bridge that changes something, very slight, in the tone of the instrument. It still plays fine, but something is different.

I have no talent. So that's out. Maybe if I had a really comfy shoes or a comfy chair where "fixing" it made me uncomfortable. But then my attachment wouldn't be sentimental, it'd be practical.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Both Frog & Toad and NWA are awesome.

They may even be more awesome together.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Holman wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:40 pm
Both Frog & Toad and NWA are awesome.

They may even be more awesome together.
Thats awesome!
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.

Post by Default »

hentzau wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:08 pm
LordMortis wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:46 pm
Hi. I'm Coop.

I could see it with a musical instrument. Say I had an old banjo that I had been playing for years, and through wear and changes to the wood, the tone had developed into what it currently is. I bring the banjo in to have a couple of tuning knobs replaced, and at the same time the replaced the nut and the bridge that changes something, very slight, in the tone of the instrument. It still plays fine, but something is different.

Friends don't let friends play banjos.
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I've been listening to the LotR audiobooks for the last little while. In searching for a map of Middle Earth (to figure out some of the confusing geography), I came across this interactive map. It shows the specific paths that each character took throughout the journey (click the "Paths" menu on the right side and select specific characters), along with markers for key events during the story.

Thought it was a pretty cool reference tool.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
A nonny mouse

Post by A nonny mouse »

Kraken wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 9:03 pm People Map of the US, showing the most famous (based on Wiki lookups) person from just about every little burg in the US. In my town it's Priscilla Chan, wife of the Zuck. My town has about 40,000 residents, so it drills down at least that far.
Holy Crap. Neil Gaiman lives in Menomonie, WI. I wish I would have known that when I lived in the state.
I find television very educational. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. - Groucho Marx
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Pretty cool.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949