Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Re: Random randomness

Post by Daehawk »

Been recording old 90s eps of Xena Warrior Princess. Watched them all back in the 90s. Cheesy fun . Still like them too. The 1990s was the last great tv age. Hercules the Legendary Journeys, The Adventures of Briscoe County Jr, Jack of All Trades, Cleopatra 2525, Lexx, Babylon 5, Deep Space Nine, Voyager.....and lots more. Many cheesy many great all fun.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I have one I'm particularly fond of called Primeval.
It's about dinosaurs traveling thru time to modern times.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

dbt1949 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:44 pm I have one I'm particularly fond of called Primeval.
It's about dinosaurs traveling thru time to modern times.
https://pluto.tv/on-demand/series/primeval
It's almost as if people are the problem.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Yesterday the kids had me transfer their laundry from the washer to the dryer. I noticed a lot of sexy underwear and lingerie. Then today on local news they said it was copperhead mating season. :think:
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

dbt1949 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:14 pm Yesterday the kids had me transfer their laundry from the washer to the dryer. I noticed a lot of sexy underwear and lingerie. Then today on local news they said it was copperhead mating season. :think:
You should talk to the boy about what he wears.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

SASQUATCH! Not seen him in years. Many many years.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I'm currently listening to trance music, drinking, and reading Marvel comics from 2004-5.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

The random talent some people possess can be astounding.

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

How about a giant smoke-breathing dragon for your yard?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Home-Accent ... /312479800
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Cheetos is getting into the mac & cheese ring. Maybe I'll get a good one finally.

Enlarge Image
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Goldfish version we tried several years ago was disappointing.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

A friend of mine posted a series of four pictures on Instagram. The captions alone tell the story:

For [child]'s 3rd birthday
we took him to the waterfront park
to watch the NYPD and FDNY
search for a body. This year sucks.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:39 pm Cheetos is getting into the mac & cheese ring. Maybe I'll get a good one finally.

Enlarge Image
I'm willing to give the "spicy" ones a shot.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I absolutely cannot get one of the Wonder Twins 7.2 interested in learning to ride a bike. The other two kids took to it right away, and spend at least an hour a day riding around the neighborhood. Wonder Twin B...absolutely zero interest at all.

He's had a bike since he was 4 and can ride just fine with training wheels, but the moment those come off, he wants nothing to do with it at all. We've tried pretty much everything (rewards, bribes, punishment, etc) and he just simply will not do it. He'll sit on the bike, but refuses to pedal, steer, or even hold the handlebars. He's completely defiant about it, which is totally out of character for him (he's usually very compliant about most things).
I'm sure that part of it is just embarrassment (he doesn't know how to do it at 7, when there are 4 year olds riding around the street), but a bigger part is just him being obstinant.

I'm bound and determined to get him to ride one before the end of this hellsummer...just not sure how to break through with him.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:37 pm I absolutely cannot get one of the Wonder Twins 7.2 interested in learning to ride a bike. The other two kids took to it right away, and spend at least an hour a day riding around the neighborhood. Wonder Twin B...absolutely zero interest at all.

He's had a bike since he was 4 and can ride just fine with training wheels, but the moment those come off, he wants nothing to do with it at all. We've tried pretty much everything (rewards, bribes, punishment, etc) and he just simply will not do it. He'll sit on the bike, but refuses to pedal, steer, or even hold the handlebars. He's completely defiant about it, which is totally out of character for him (he's usually very compliant about most things).
I'm sure that part of it is just embarrassment (he doesn't know how to do it at 7, when there are 4 year olds riding around the street), but a bigger part is just him being obstinant.

I'm bound and determined to get him to ride one before the end of this hellsummer...just not sure how to break through with him.
My youngest had no interest in riding until he was 9. He has coordination issues and had a harder time than most kids, but he finally took to it.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

You could try a balance bike. No pedaling required.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:08 pm You could try a balance bike. No pedaling required.
He had one of those when he was 3 or 4. Took to it just fine, but that skill hasn't transferred over when it requires pedaling, apparently.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

After several abortive attempts on a bicycle around ages 5-7, I gave up. One day when I was 10 years old and very bored, I asked my sister to teach me, and she did.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I got my brother's hand me down when I was 8 or 9. No one taught me. Control was just sort of ceded to me because my closest friend was about a mile away, so I took his old bike and started biking to his house.

I don't know if my parents thought I had not interest or not. They never engaged me about riding and I never asked. A bike is a big ask for a child, especially when a child wants so many things. Like StarWars figures and more StarWars figures... and oh, StarWars figures.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I learned in the era when training wheels were a thing. Worked well even if it is just psychological.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I was better at bikes than big wheels apparently. When I was 4 I flipped my big wheel into a bundle of briars. Dad said I yelled "Get this damn thing off of me!"
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Jaymann wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:32 pm I learned in the era when training wheels were a thing. Worked well even if it is just psychological.
I actually put training wheels back on his "big kid" bike a couple weeks ago. It got him to ride it for maybe 10-15 minutes. The moment the training wheels came off, he was done.

It's actually a little comforting to hear I'm not the only one who has encountered this particular parenting fail. :lol:
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

My youngest took a pretty long time to get interested as well, but now he is a pro. He decided it was time to learn on his own time. Pushing them can be counterproductive.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:37 pm I absolutely cannot get one of the Wonder Twins 7.2 interested in learning to ride a bike. The other two kids took to it right away, and spend at least an hour a day riding around the neighborhood. Wonder Twin B...absolutely zero interest at all.

If it's primarily an issue of anxiety, employing a tactic like this may help:

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Not seeing the big deal. If he wants to ride he will if not he wont. Like swimming....well sorta as swimming can save you...biking not so much :)
Holman

Post by Holman »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:47 pm Not seeing the big deal. If he wants to ride he will if not he wont. Like swimming....well sorta as swimming can save you...biking not so much :)
Biking opens up the neighborhood to a kid. It combines sensual freedom with physical exercise.

This is especially important as an alternative to just sitting on the couch with a screen.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The old saying necessity is the mother of invention sorta applies. If he feels the need then he'll learn I guess.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Anyone else get a email from Google today about a class action lawsuit against Google+ ? I cant tell if its a scam or not. If it is its a new one to me and it came in my normal Google email folder with no warnings attached.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:05 pm Anyone else get a email from Google today about a class action lawsuit against Google+ ? I cant tell if its a scam or not. If it is its a new one to me and it came in my normal Google email folder with no warnings attached.
Looks like it's legit.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

When you get everything prepped for a conference call, log in, call in, and are sitting there waiting on the presenter.

And waiting. And waiting.

And then you double-check the email and find the presenter sent it in his time zone, not yours, and you've got 2 hours left to wait.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I just learned today that all my toes are still there.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Still where? Can you get them back?
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Mountain Dew Spark
It's officially here! Mountain Dew confirmed to us this week that its new raspberry lemonade flavor Mountain Dew Spark will be available at more than 2,000 Speedway locations in the U.S. this summer.
Enlarge Image
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:06 pmIf it's primarily an issue of anxiety, employing a tactic like this may help:

What kind of a monster lets his novice child try to learn how to ride a bike in fucking flip-flops?!?

I used the same Step 1 for teaching my kiddo how to ride that my father taught me -- take a stick about the thickness of a pencil and put it in the spokes to demonstrate just how easy it is for things to snap in there. "That could be your finger, so be careful." Best to lean into the potential phobias, I find.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I have an even number of nose hairs.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
A nonny mouse

Post by A nonny mouse »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:06 pm

If it's primarily an issue of anxiety, employing a tactic like this may help:

That's a flat sheet, not fitted. THeiguy has probably never done a load of laundry in his life. See, those are the things that drive me nuts; along with how the frick do you run along side your kid holding that? shin-be-gone.

Yeah, the kid turned nine, and while he has a bike we bought a few years ago and he rode a little, he really doesn't want to ride. I am with Coop in that I gave up forcing the issue or bringing it up because I didn't want to turn him off completely. Besides the embarrassment of really younger kids tooling arond without training wheels, I think he feels he is too old to just learn now. Hopefully he will just want to one day and I can help if he wants.

Man I remember LOVING rinding my bike,and I can still remember the feeling when I finally 'got it' when riding without training wheels.
I find television very educational. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. - Groucho Marx
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I remember my dad removing my training wheels. I recall them becoming a hindrance as I wanted to go faster and if you tilted to pedal it would hit the training wheel and raise the rear wheel off the surface. Im going to guess I was 5 or 6. Probably 6. We moved when I was 7 and I was already off training wheels. I still loved having a tricycle. It was red and metal and I was too big for it but would stand on the back step at the wheel area and lean over to steer and Id kick with my free foot. Could get some serious speed. Also used to drag a big metal TONKA dump truck up a dirt hill then hop in and ride down. Hell Id still do it if I had a big enough truck and no one saw me :) Its funny some things you miss as a kid and could still do but dont because you 'out grew' it.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

When do you try removing the training wheels? The twins (age 6) are doing well with the training wheels, but they're still relying on them pretty heavily. I think girl twin might be close to going without (she's always been the more physically coordinated), but I'm not sure. Is it just one of those things where you take them off and hope for the best?
That's my purse! I don't know you!