Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Re: Random randomness

Post by Daehawk »

http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/201711 ... ar-mermaid

A little bit of info on The Million Dollar Mermaid. A Miss Annette Kellerman. A interesting little story about a fascinating lady I had not heard of before.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Got my first deer today. Me and my trusty Outlander.
Stupid deer ran across the road to the other side about 150 yards ahead of me. Then walks parallel to the road until I get up even with him/her and then it makes a dash across the road right in front of me.
I was only doing about forty and the bump, as it turned out, didn't damage my car but as I looked in the rearview mirror the deer wasn't moving.
I even had deer whistles on the car.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Breaking news that affects only me: I've just discovered that there's an Arby's in Manhattan that will deliver to my office.

This changes everything.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Curly fries and jamocha milkshakes were brought to humans by aliens who spent their lives spreading deliciousness throughout the universe. :wub:
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I'm pretty sure those curly fries have onion powder on them. /r/onionhate
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Canadia
Patrick Maze is used to seeing flax and weeds on his farm field east of Regina, but where did the brand-new beautiful house come from?

Maze was driving by his land last week and noticed the home sitting on a big trailer where there should have been nothing but rolling prairie.
It turns out the house was being transported from Winnipeg to the owners who live just outside of Lumsden, Sask., but there was a problem with permits.

The moving company left the house in the field until the paperwork could be sorted out.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Isgrimnur wrote:Canadia
Patrick Maze is used to seeing flax and weeds on his farm field east of Regina, but where did the brand-new beautiful house come from?

Maze was driving by his land last week and noticed the home sitting on a big trailer where there should have been nothing but rolling prairie.
It turns out the house was being transported from Winnipeg to the owners who live just outside of Lumsden, Sask., but there was a problem with permits.

The moving company left the house in the field until the paperwork could be sorted out.
As one does.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

dbt1949 wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:54 am
I was only doing about forty and the bump, as it turned out, didn't damage my car but as I looked in the rearview mirror the deer wasn't moving.
Does that translate into a year's worth of free meat down there, too?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

AWS260 wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:25 am Image

Breaking news that affects only me: I've just discovered that there's an Arby's in Manhattan that will deliver to my office.

This changes everything.
Hodor.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:09 pm
dbt1949 wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:54 am
Does that translate into a year's worth of free meat down there, too?
My stepson's talking about going and getting it and giving it to a friend of his who runs a big cat reserve.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:42 am I'm pretty sure those curly fries have onion powder on them. /r/onionhate
They also usually have wheat in them for the gluten-free/celiac crowd.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

Someone explain to me what the point of "7 Days - 7 Black and White Photos" is.

If there's some noble intent behind it, I have never heard of it. If it's just the latest in FB time-wasting, then I'm officially sick of it.
18-1™ & 2-0
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Trent Steel wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:48 pm Someone explain to me what the point of "7 Days - 7 Black and White Photos" is.

If there's some noble intent behind it, I have never heard of it. If it's just the latest in FB time-wasting, then I'm officially sick of it.
Enlarge Image

Slate article
Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:50 pm
Trent Steel wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:48 pm Someone explain to me what the point of "7 Days - 7 Black and White Photos" is.

Enlarge Image

Slate article
So it does deserve ridicule and scorn.

Good. Because I hate it.
18-1™ & 2-0
Holman

Post by Holman »

Obscene manuscript by 17th-century poet John Donne discovered in a trunk in the archives of Westminster Abbey.
The manuscript may be the earliest surviving copy of what is ostensibly a library catalogue in Latin: the numbered book titles are all invented, and Donne’s list is in fact a string of savage and frequently smutty jokes, many about named contemporary figures.

Book 21 is supposedly The Judges’ Handbook, “containing the many confessions of poisoners given to Justice Manwood, and used by him afterwards in wiping his buttocks, and in examining his evacuations”.

Daniel Starza Smith, of King’s College London, an expert on Donne who has examined the manuscript, said there really was a Justice Manwood, who might well not have appreciated the joke.
400 years on, JD is still bringing it.

("Manwood," though? That's just asking for it.)
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Hey I just noticed the clock on my posts is correct now and not an hour different.
Shinjin

Post by Shinjin »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:51 am Hey I just noticed the clock on my posts is correct now and not an hour different.
Are you sure that you did not notice this tomorrow around 2:01am?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I'm not sure. I'd have to check that yesterday and I'm on the couch right now
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Why does every freaking appliance I own have a freaking clock? :think:
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Just saw an episode where Perry Mason had a guilty client.
Surreal. :pop:
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Holman

Post by Holman »

dbt1949 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:10 am Why does every freaking appliance I own have a freaking clock? :think:
If you reset only half of them, you'll never have to do it again.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Half of them already reset themselves, so mission accomplished.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I love waking up after six hours on the one night where I wouldn't have felt bad about oversleeping.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im sleeping like crap lately. I was dead tired last night. Sat here 4 hours nodding off until it was midnight so I could fix my time. Then I went to bed and woke straight up around 2am then 3 then 5 then 7 and gave up at 11.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I’m pretty sure that the wet substance that I was steeping/sleeping in this morning was dog vomit (now with bonus soggy bits!). But there’s a small chance it was a return of the movie popcorn.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

A couple of days ago I installed a battery backup that I hooked up my modem and router to.
Today I get to try it out as my power company is installing new poles and has drop power for an unknown time.
Thank you Ozark Electric.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Just got this on Ebay for $5. These things can go for over $100. .......$5!!! Had been looking a long time. And no didn't use any well money. Got my monthly check and could spare it.

Enlarge Image

USB charger and lamp. Protoss pylon.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

So much restraint dealing today with an reasonable attorney with an interest in denying everything I say. Backed into a half-measure to guarantee an extra 2% return on an asset of which they're entitled to NOTHING.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Both of my kidneys are paining me today / tonight. I hope I dont have to go to the hospital again. My wife has been having trouble with her blood sugar and heart today / tonight. My kidneys are both hurting though in my back and up high. Oh man.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

ESPN's Ric Flair documentary airs tonight for the first time. Early accounts say it is tremendous. I can't wait.
Hodor.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

This weekend my youngest stepson is having a Thanksgiving day get together. Quite a few people are going to attend I understand. Only his wife's side of the family are invited. There is no similar type get together for our side of the family.
I don't know whether to be insulted or not. I mean I don't thing any of this side would have gone anyways do to the distance involved and not caring about such things anyways. Perhaps he sensed that but I don't really thing he did.
Oh well, off to think about something else I can bitch about.
Like my washing machine dying and my oldest stepson not offer to buy a new one or even chip in. They was clothes three times as much as me. I have enough clothes to last a couple of weeks before needing to wash and even then I can always go into town to a washateria.
By that time maybe they will have second thoughts about helping out.
Actually I'm not related anymore to either one of the son of a bitches. :tjg:
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Trouser snake is no longer just a metaphor.
A young man arrested by police in the German city of Darmstadt was found to be carrying a python in his trousers.

The 19-year-old was detained for drunken behaviour after a reported altercation with another man had led to complaints from local residents.

While searching him, officers noticed a "significant bulge in his trousers", a police statement said.

The man told the officers he had a snake in his pants, revealing a 35cm (about 14in) baby king python.

The police statement said it was unclear why the man was carrying the snake there, adding that the reptile might belong to one of the man's relatives.

It added that officers were examining whether any animal protection laws had been broken.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Went to sleep @ 8pm last night and still managed to sleep through my alarm clock. Ack!

Must have really needed it - maybe a daylight savings time hangover?
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

This morning I had to get onto the roof to reattach a downspout that came off in our last windstorm. Because I had to extend my ladder fully to get up there, and because I can't scamper like I used to, I had Wife spot me. The job was uneventful and only took 10 minutes. Getting back onto the ladder to descend was a delicate operation, but after screwing up my courage I made it.

Put the ladder away, took Wife to the T station, and ran a few errands. When I got back home an hour later, one of my cats was on the roof. He made it clear that he was done being there but he couldn't figure out how to get back down.

Me: "What the hell, Gus?"

Augustus: "This is not the time to have this discussion. Right now, GET ME DOWN."

I opened the bedroom window that overlooks the porch roof and coaxed him in that way. I remembered that that was how I always used to access that part of the roof myself, back when I used to clean my gutters every year. No wonder it was harder to reach with the ladder than I remembered. I'd never used the ladder there.

Still don't know how the cat got up there. He obviously saw me up there this morning and thought "Well, if the fat old monkeyman can do it...." He must have jumped from a tree, but even the nearest one would require squirrel-level acrobatics. He still doesn't want to discuss it.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

F*** the French (Canadians)
It may be still be too blue for English speakers, but authorities in Canada have ruled that the word “fuck” is no longer taboo on French language broadcasts as its use is so commonplace.

The Canadian Broadcasting Standards Council (CBSC) had previously classified the word as being suitable only for adults in both French and English, banning its use on radio and television to beyond the evening watershed and even then, only with a warning.

But after complaints from listeners that the French-language Montreal radio station CKOI-FM had twice aired clips with the word this year, it changed its mind in a ruling released Wednesday.

The CBSC agreed with the station’s argument that “fuck” was now “part of the common French spoken language” and therefore does not have “the same vulgar connotations when used in French.”
“If the word is used infrequently and not as an insult towards a particular person, it will be deemed acceptable in the context of French-language programming.”
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

My company just expanded our office space, and as part of that expansion, we added 3 conference rooms, to a total of 5. Named them after Colorado mountain peaks (Pikes Peak, Longs Peak, etc.) And then the CMIO decided that to make it even classier, instead of putting the actual names on the doors of said conference rooms, he would just hang pictures of said mountain peaks.

We've been in the new space for over a month now, and still no one knows which room is which. We have plans to walk around the office when he's not there and write the room names on glass in dry-erase marker.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I refuse to believe that anyone in Colorado wouldn't be able to recognize a picture of Pike's Peak.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

gilraen wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:15 pm My company just expanded our office space, and as part of that expansion, we added 3 conference rooms, to a total of 5. Named them after Colorado mountain peaks (Pikes Peak, Longs Peak, etc.) And then the CMIO decided that to make it even classier, instead of putting the actual names on the doors of said conference rooms, he would just hang pictures of said mountain peaks.

We've been in the new space for over a month now, and still no one knows which room is which. We have plans to walk around the office when he's not there and write the room names on glass in dry-erase marker.
Usually in those situations employees will come up with nicknames like, the white one, or the big one, or the little one.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Jaymann wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:32 pm Usually in those situations employees will come up with nicknames like, the white one, or the big one, or the little one.
Yeah, but that's not helpful when you schedule a meeting through Outlook and pick an available meeting room...and then trying to figure out which room we just scheduled and where to go :)
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:18 pm I refuse to believe that anyone in Colorado wouldn't be able to recognize a picture of Pike's Peak.

Maybe so but I can recognize his feet .
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949