Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

Re: Random randomness

Post by Isgrimnur »

Don't let the 'flavor' eat a hole in your palate.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Holman

Post by Holman »

In my younger days, a famous and superb writer looked at a manuscript of mine and asked me why I thought "alright" was one word.

Last night I woke up sweating from the memory.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well alrighty then. But seriously he was a famous writer and thought that was wrong? heh.

Ok was in the dollar store today and the dairy guy was in there replacing older items . It stuck me right there that in the US alone there must be a mind boggling amount of food wasted each and every day.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:55 pm It stuck me right there that in the US alone there must be a mind boggling amount of food wasted each and every day.
Yes, and more currently still yes.
About 150,000 tons of food is tossed out in US households each day, equivalent to about a third of the daily calories that each American consumes. Fruit and vegetables were the most likely to be thrown out, followed by dairy and then meat.

This waste has an environmental toll, with the volume of discarded food equivalent to the yearly use of 30m acres of land, 780m pounds of pesticide and 4.2tn gallons of irrigated water. Rotting food also clogs up landfills and releases methane, a powerful greenhouse gas
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I make a menu plan each week and only buy the grocs I need to support it, so I very rarely throw anything away. Sometimes I have to buy a bigger container than I could ever realistically use -- e.g., I have to buy a pint of sour cream when I only want a couple tablespoons, and I can never use up a whole celery heart before it starts to go mushy. Sometimes Wife brings home leftovers from work functions; those often just rot, but they were being thrown out anyway. I take into account what's already on hand when planning the week's menu, so I waste next to nothing.

I realize households with two workers and/or children can't be as meticulous, so I'm not evangelical about my approach to groceries. We eat very well on a modest budget because I can afford to put time and attention into it.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Why do those annoying little gnats love an old banana or peel SO much?? Gotta get he garbage out soon after bananas in warm weather of those gnats are all over flying at you.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Sam, one of the dog actors who played Duke for Bush's Baked Beans ads, has died.

http://www.wrcbtv.com/story/38571694/do ... s-has-died
One of the "talking" golden retrievers who starred in several of the Bush's Baked Beans commercials during their run over two decades has died from cancer.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Have any of you been reading about the Thai children's soccer team that was lost in a huge cave network?

Last Saturday I read about them, they were last hear from on June 23rd. At the time, it was a really sad story.

They never returned from their soccer game (*they went exploring with their coach, as they have done before, after the game)
Their bike were all still locked up at the cave entrance, and when the cave was inspected - all of their gear was found at a fork in the cave, where one path leads to a chimney where technical climbers could exit... the other lead to a long web of caves that eventually would lead to an exit at the other end, but would have required some serious spelunking.

Then the rain started, and these caves are known to flood and have trapped others before. For days they searched for ANY sign of them... It was a very sad story - as it was a week into their disappearance - and their fate seemed pretty clear.

- until late this Monday - when one of the SEAL teams sent to explore every nook and cranny ended up finding them, ALIVE.

All them , still alive!!

Trapped deep, and with many of the kids unable to swim, they are going to need to teach them how to swim (*and use scuba gear) to get out.

It's really an amazing story that seems like it's going to have a Happy ending.

Just wild.

story:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/re ... spartanntp
mori

Post by mori »

21 people treated for rabies. Do not approach wild animals!
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Unagi wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:42 am Have any of you been reading about the Thai children's soccer team that was lost in a huge cave network?
Yes. In this same thread.
Hodor.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Have any of you been reading about 2 lb cartons of Xtra Cheddar Goldfish?

Enlarge Image

It's really an amazing snack that seems like it's going to have a Happy ending.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

pr0ner wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:18 am
Unagi wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:42 am Have any of you been reading about the Thai children's soccer team that was lost in a huge cave network?
Yes. In this same thread.
Ooops. Sorry bout' that.

Wow...
I totally lost like a Whole Page of Random Randomness.... You guys had a lengthy discussion about it... damn. :doh:
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

wonderpug wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:26 am Have any of you been reading about 2 lb cartons of Xtra Cheddar Goldfish?

Enlarge Image

It's really an amazing snack that seems like it's going to have a Happy ending.
smart ass.

:wub:
DD*

Post by DD* »

https://youtu.be/y6NN91yno3g

The Ultraman theme song.
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Here's the commercial to go along with the crackers.

Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I'm not clicking that, but will say that the still image shown does not look appealing at all.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Kraken wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:24 pm I make a menu plan each week and only buy the grocs I need to support it, so I very rarely throw anything away. Sometimes I have to buy a bigger container than I could ever realistically use -- e.g., I have to buy a pint of sour cream when I only want a couple tablespoons, and I can never use up a whole celery heart before it starts to go mushy. Sometimes Wife brings home leftovers from work functions; those often just rot, but they were being thrown out anyway. I take into account what's already on hand when planning the week's menu, so I waste next to nothing.
This is very close to what I do. I don't plan each meal in advance, but every time I go shopping I know how many meals there will be before the next shopping trip, and how many people will be eating them. I buy exactly that many meals.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

We dont eat meals. We snack and sometimes have a main dish item I make. Like we split a can of soup one day or some vienna another or maybe have something I bake like a meatloaf. The stuff I cook is rare now. Maybe cook one thing a month. The rest of the day is snacking like chips, snack cakes, ice cream,candy, quick noodles, ramen.

Going to make my wife a Bday cake today that will last a week. Next month going to try to make something in the slow cooker like chicken or something. This is why I dont gain weight by not exorcise or walking or anything. I sit here and get older. Ive actually lost 24 lbs last couple years.

We used to both have food stamps then we got about $17 over the limit for them so they took away almost $400 worth of food stamps from us. They couldn't just subtract that $17 and give us the rest. Nope.
MHS

Post by MHS »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:01 pm The rest of the day is snacking like chips, snack cakes, ice cream,candy, quick noodles, ramen...

...This is why I dont gain weight by not exorcise or walking or anything. I sit here and get older. Ive actually lost 24 lbs last couple years.
You are a medical mystery.
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

MHS wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:45 pm
Daehawk wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:01 pm The rest of the day is snacking like chips, snack cakes, ice cream,candy, quick noodles, ramen...

...This is why I dont gain weight by not exorcise or walking or anything. I sit here and get older. Ive actually lost 24 lbs last couple years.
You are a medical mystery.
My mom lives primarily on coffee and cigarettes. On the plus side, it keeps her weight down.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
DD*

Post by DD* »

I really, really wanted a couple of hot dogs yesterday. No such luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

DD* wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:54 pm I really, really wanted a couple of hot dogs yesterday. No such luck.
Sure, I mean, it's not like it's something you can just go out and buy at a moment's notice.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Hot dogs are inferior to Polish sausage.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:23 pm Hot dogs are inferior to Polish sausage.
They're also inferior to a prime t-bone. But they have their place.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

2 of my kids and my wife are bickering and I can't for the life of me figure out which one of them is the adult, let alone parent.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Thailand
A former Thai navy Seal has died from a lack of air while placing air tanks inside the cave where 12 boys have been stranded for nearly two weeks.
The presence of hundreds of rescue workers inside the cave has been depleting the air supply the boys have been relying on, with oxygen inside their chamber down to about 15%, deputy army commander Chalongchai Chaiyakham said at a briefing on Friday.

Normal oxygen levels in the air are about 21%. Chaiyakham said he was unsure how long the boys could survive in such conditions. “I’m not a medical person. I can’t answer that,” he said. Divers have released 30 tanks of air to try to restore healthy levels.

The former Seal, identified as Saman Kunan, died around 1am on Friday morning after he was returning from placing air tanks along the roughly 3.2km route to the boys, the current method for replenishing the air supply in the cave.

Kunan became unconscious while making the return journey to “chamber three”, around 1.5km inside the cave. A diving buddy tried to revive him but was unsuccessful. His body has been sent to Bangkok airport and he will receive a royal-sponsored funeral.

Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:53 am Thailand
Damn. :cry:

If the SEAL teams working to help the kids are in danger, what chance do the kids have? I really hope this ends well. The world needs a WIN right about now.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Spiders fly with electricity.

Electro-Spiders are coming for YOU!
Spiders have no wings, but they can take to the air nonetheless. They’ll climb to an exposed point, raise their abdomens to the sky, extrude strands of silk, and float away. This behavior is called ballooning. It might carry spiders away from predators and competitors, or toward new lands with abundant resources. But whatever the reason for it, it’s clearly an effective means of travel. Spiders have been found two-and-a-half miles up in the air, and 1,000 miles out to sea.

[...]

Ballooning spiders operate within this planetary electric field. When their silk leaves their bodies, it typically picks up a negative charge. This repels the similar negative charges on the surfaces on which the spiders sit, creating enough force to lift them into the air. And spiders can increase those forces by climbing onto twigs, leaves, or blades of grass. Plants, being earthed, have the same negative charge as the ground that they grow upon, but they protrude into the positively charged air. This creates substantial electric fields between the air around them and the tips of their leaves and branches—and the spiders ballooning from those tips.

[...]

First, they showed that spiders can detect electric fields. They put the arachnids on vertical strips of cardboard in the center of a plastic box, and then generated electric fields between the floor and ceiling of similar strengths to what the spiders would experience outdoors. These fields ruffled tiny sensory hairs on the spiders’ feet, known as trichobothria. “It’s like when you rub a balloon and hold it up to your hairs,” Morley says.

In response, the spiders performed a set of movements called tiptoeing—they stood on the ends of their legs and stuck their abdomens in the air. “That behavior is only ever seen before ballooning,” says Morley. Many of the spiders actually managed to take off, despite being in closed boxes with no airflow within them. And when Morley turned off the electric fields inside the boxes, the ballooning spiders dropped.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

I always remember balloon spiders from Charlotte's Web
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

https://arstechnica.com/information-tec ... eo to 480p
Charter Communications launched its mobile broadband service on June 30, and it's throttling all video streams to DVD quality.

"DVD-quality video streaming is supported. Video typically streams at 480p," Charter notes in the "Pricing & Other Info" section of its mobile sign-up page. The quality limit is similar to one just imposed by Comcast, which previously did not impose any video quality limits on its mobile service.
I like the 2nd comment posted at the bottom......

Dear ISPs of America,

I know the Pharma companies are making you sweat, but don't worry, no matter what happens, I'll always hate you the most.

Your unwilling customer,
Anonymous American
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Hilarious.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Is give a fair bit for some home canned pickled green beans.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Mission to rescue boys trapped in Thailand cave has begun
NBCnews.com wrote:CHIANG RAI, Thailand — A team of divers on Sunday began a rescue operation to try and save 12 boys on a soccer team and their coach from the Thailand cave where they have been trapped for two weeks.

Chiang Rai Gov. Narongsak Osatanakorn told reporters at a briefing Sunday that the mission to save the 12 boys and their coach from Tham Luang cave began at 10 a.m. local time.

A total of 18 expert divers — 13 international and five Thai — will proceed deep into the hillside through the waterlogged passages to the chamber where the team is located. "One boy will be accompanied by two divers. They will come out of the cave one group at a time," Narongsak said.

The rescue is expected to take hours. Narongsak said the earliest they will come out is 9 p.m. Sunday local time (10 a.m. E.T.)

Narongsak said that conditions inside the cave were the best they could hope for and that water levels were now so low after days of good weather and constant draining that long stretches of the passage were now walk-able.

"Today is the best day for them to come out," he said. "They really wanted to come out now as well. They are ready both mentally and physically."

An Australian medic has been inside the team's chamber and has confirmed that the boys and their coach are ready and willing to make their escape after over two weeks underground. Medical teams have been preparing for the rescue operation for three days and are ready, Narongsak said.

They entered the site under brooding clouds spitting steady rain. Until Saturday evening, the torrential downpours that had been forecasted had failed to materialize, giving authorities a window to extract water from the cave and give further cave diving training to the boys. The weather broke around 9 p.m. Saturday though, with a deluge hitting the area.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Thoughts and prayers, fingers crossed, good vibrations...whatever you've got, send a little of it their way.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

WaPo
Four members of a youth soccer team were rescued Sunday from a cave complex in northern Thailand where they had been stranded for more than two weeks, according to the provincial governor.

The four were checked out in a field hospital near the cave and then helicoptered 37 miles south to a hospital in Chiang Rai, where an entire floor has been reserved for the rescue effort.

“Everybody is perfectly healthy,” said Narongsak Osatanakorn, the outgoing governor of Chiang Rai province. “The operation is going better than expected.”

More rescues were expected for the eight remaining players, aged 11 to 16, and their 25-year-old coach, who have been trapped since June 23, when monsoon rains flooded the six-mile cave system they were exploring. Because all the rescue equipment was used up in Sunday’s attempts, the next push would have to wait until Monday morning, Narongsak said.

Heavy rains have started falling over the lush mountain range that houses the cave, adding urgency.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Just made lime freezes for me and my wife. They are so good. Wonder if you can ad rum? They are lime sherbet and Sprite in a blender. Simply but very tasty. As a kid if I wasn't getting a banana split at Kays Kastle I was getting lime freeze.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Rum would taste nasty with lime. Vodka. But too much of any alcohol will lower the freezing point.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Kraken wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:03 pm Rum would taste nasty with lime.
What did daiquiris ever do to you?
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
morlac

Post by morlac »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:29 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:23 pm Hot dogs are inferior to Polish sausage.
They're also inferior to a prime t-bone. But they have their place.
I told my wife this very thing last night.

morlac = Polish