Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

TheMix

Re: Random randomness

Post by TheMix »

GreenGoo wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:18 pm I couldn't even choke my house cats to death without being hospitalized.

...not that I've tried, or anything. :ninja:
:lol:

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Holman

Post by Holman »

My dog is 60 pounds and has a huge amount of strength even when just playing.

I can believe that a fanged 70-pound undomesticated predator intent on bringing me down wouldn't be all that easy to choke out.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Holman wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:28 pm My dog is 60 pounds and has a huge amount of strength even when just playing.

I can believe that a fanged 70-pound undomesticated predator intent on bringing me down wouldn't be all that easy to choke out.
I had a 90 lb mild mannered golden that I struggled to control when play wrestling when I was 15 years younger, and he didn't have razor sharp claws and didn't bite hard with his teeth. I literally had to MMA back grapple him with all 4 limbs to keep him from moving, otherwise I was in for some pain. Choking out a mountain lion has got to qualify for badass of the month, at a minimum.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Only thing that dude missed was gutting, skinning and wearing that cat's hide back down the mountain. As a warning to the rest...
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

My stepson's coming back from the hospital today, minus one foot. He has to (heel) more before getting a new one.
Fortunately the temp has dropped below freezing and thanks to the rain last night the porch is frozen. :horse:
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Geezus, what sort of operation results in shrinking 12"?

...they can't all be homeruns.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

That was a bunt.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

dbt1949 wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:55 pm That was a bunt.
I expected worse. You've made my day. The problem was I just couldn't find the wording for it.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Theme to Knight Rider is stuck in my head.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Just saw a blurb for the TV show called The IT Crowd from like fifteen years ago

I must find and watch this show

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0487831/
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:28 pm Just saw a blurb for the TV show called The IT Crowd from like fifteen years ago
Netflix
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

People still suck:
A veterinarian student convicted of implanting heroin into the stomachs of puppies to smuggle drugs into the United States has been sentenced to six years in federal prison.

Andres Elorez, 39, was arrested in Spain for crimes he committed more than a decade ago and was extradited to the U.S. last year to face trial in federal court in the Eastern District of New York.

Elorez, a Spanish national who went to veterinary school in Colombia, pleaded guilty to conspiring to import heroin. In court documents, he was described as "one of the best students in his class," but prosecutors said his skills were used for "criminal purposes" with complete disregard for the dogs in his care.

The elaborate plan to smuggle heroin into the country included surgically implanting packets of liquid heroin into the bellies of puppies who acted as couriers, prosecutors said, accusing him of betraying a veterinarian's pledge to prevent animal abuse, in addition to his role in drug trafficking.

The dogs would undergo surgery again once they arrived in the U.S. to remove the drugs from their bodies, according to prosecutors. Bags of liquid heroin were implanted in at least nine dogs, and at least three died as a result.
One of the dogs who was rescued, named Donna, was later trained to be a drug detection dog for the Colombian National Police, according to court documents.

Another, a Rottweiler named Heroina, became a narcotics dog in the U.S., according to the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA).
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:32 pm
LordMortis wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:28 pm Just saw a blurb for the TV show called The IT Crowd from like fifteen years ago
Netflix
Not there yet. But I did install my OTA antenna last weekend. I was sadly underwhelmed with the quality cut in and cut out. I'm currently debating a more expensive antenna. My $20 (35 or 50 mile, I forget which) antenna got fantastic reviews. It pulls in 57 OTA stations, which include the 6 six I actually care about and shitton of nothing but ads I only thought you got through cable but the signal lags and cuts on the six stations I care about at all a lot. Still, I'm one baby step closer to going from cable to netflix etc...
stessier

Post by stessier »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:37 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:32 pm
Netflix
Not there yet. But I did install my OTA antenna last weekend. I was sadly underwhelmed with the quality cut in and cut out. I'm currently debating a more expensive antenna. My $20 (35 or 50 mile, I forget which) antenna got fantastic reviews. It pulls in 57 OTA stations, which include the 6 six I actually care about and shitton of nothing but ads I only thought you got through cable but the signal lags and cuts on the six stations I care about at all a lot. Still, I'm one baby step closer to going from cable to netflix etc...
Your internet is pretty slow isn't it? Netflix might be a bit if a challenge. The IT Crowd is great, though.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Very Netflix won't happen until I cut the cord and repalce what I have with a better internet
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I finally dropped Netflix. I got tired of watching secondary movies I don't care about. The movies I really wanted to see were very long wait or short wait. Then whenever that status would drop they still would send me secondary titles.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

found out the reason my doctor suddenly closed up shop was because the state medical board suspended his license for 'sexual misconduct' with two female patients. ugh
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

hitbyambulance wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:19 pm found out the reason my doctor suddenly closed up shop was because the state medical board suspended his license for 'sexual misconduct' with two female patients. ugh
I sure am glad that there is no legal requirement for him to have to inform his patients of this fact, particularly when assault victims often fail to report for various reasons. Imagine having a daughter who also saw him? Fun times.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

hitbyambulance wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:19 pm found out the reason my doctor suddenly closed up shop was because the state medical board suspended his license for 'sexual misconduct' with two female patients. ugh
A threesome, eh? Good for him?
Hodor.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

soutpark police force: Niiccceee.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I went by The Spot yesterday. Its a hole in the wall eatery in our little downtown. Its been there since about 1936. My wife ate there as a child with her dad. I ate there. Then we ate there. After our wedding we ate there. They played At Last and also When a Man Loves a Woman for us. Still have the cups from that day. Figured it would always be there. Its gone. I stepped into what used to be The Spot and it was workers tearing stuff up and putting new stuff in . I asked what happened and the guy says a salon is going in. A salon! After nearly a century. All I could do was stare at the brick wall where our booth sat. Where we always sat. And where the bar and stools were. All gone.

Kinda sickening yet kinda something else. Now that my wife has passed so has The Spot. Though it probably started while she was still alive. :|

The Spot

You can see our booth there 2nd from front in one of the pics. The one with the Crosby Stills Nash and Young poster above it. She sat with her back to the door and me facing it. Same as always. Its all gone now :(
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

dbt1949 wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:35 pm I finally dropped Netflix. I got tired of watching secondary movies I don't care about. The movies I really wanted to see were very long wait or short wait. Then whenever that status would drop they still would send me secondary titles.
Are you talking about DVDs being sent to your home? They still do that?
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Unagi wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:29 pm
dbt1949 wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:35 pm I finally dropped Netflix. I got tired of watching secondary movies I don't care about. The movies I really wanted to see were very long wait or short wait. Then whenever that status would drop they still would send me secondary titles.
We still have a DVD plan (although we are about to drop it).
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Most restaurants have short lifespans. Even successful independents often don't outlive their founders, and chains have to update every 10 years or so to remain relevant. So it's especially sad when a longstanding eatery folds. Boston has seen several go away in the past couple of years, most recently Durgin Park (founded in 1742 and continuously open since 1842), but also L'Espalier (a formal white-tablecloth special-occasion place, after 40 years) and one of my favorites, Jacob Wirth (Boston's last traditional German restaurant, founded 1868). At least half a dozen other old standbys have shuttered in the past year or two.

Closer to home, we lost Jimbo's South (an outpost of Jimmy's Harborside, also gone); Jimbo's was our special-occasion seafood restaurant before it died a long, lingering death. The one that made us saddest, though, was a local chain called The Picadilly Pub. It went into the former "My Wife & I Furniture" building in 1986, the same year we moved here, and we first went there the week it opened. In its heyday it had lines out the door. A young lady whom we called "Morticia" for her goth outfits would walk up and down the line with free appetizers. When you finally got a table, there were free crackers and bar cheese. The menu leaned toward big plates of comfort food, cheap. It was our go-to place until it died in 2012. The Pic never changed, except to pare back the extras as business slowed.

Reasons usually cited for restaurant closures are difficulty finding and retaining employees in this economy, and the changing tastes of millennials, who snub the kind of old-school casual dining restaurants that we prefer.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

gilraen wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:35 pm
I've thought about this. Eventually I'm going to figure out how to get streaming and completely overhaul the way we watch TV. But very few of the movies and TV shows in my netflix queue have "play now" buttons, leading me to think that most of what we like is not available by streaming.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

With The Spot ..as I recall......it stayed the same until around about 8 years ago. After the woman that ran it or owned it passed away someone else got it. It stayed sorta the same then was sold again. It stayed closed a few months or a year. Then it opened with the same'ish type food..burgers and such..but a younger hipper owner and higher prices with new menu items like shrimp and strange fancy foods. Then it changed owners again and went back to old simple burgers and such and lower prices. It started employing the college kids from down the road after that first redo. Still sad its gone. If I won a lottery Id reopen it old style.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Kraken wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:01 pm Most restaurants have short lifespans. Even successful independents often don't outlive their founders, and chains have to update every 10 years or so to remain relevant. So it's especially sad when a longstanding eatery folds. Boston has seen several go away in the past couple of years, most recently Durgin Park (founded in 1742 and continuously open since 1842), but also L'Espalier (a formal white-tablecloth special-occasion place, after 40 years) and one of my favorites, Jacob Wirth (Boston's last traditional German restaurant, founded 1868). At least half a dozen other old standbys have shuttered in the past year or two.

Closer to home, we lost Jimbo's South (an outpost of Jimmy's Harborside, also gone); Jimbo's was our special-occasion seafood restaurant before it died a long, lingering death. The one that made us saddest, though, was a local chain called The Picadilly Pub. It went into the former "My Wife & I Furniture" building in 1986, the same year we moved here, and we first went there the week it opened. In its heyday it had lines out the door. A young lady whom we called "Morticia" for her goth outfits would walk up and down the line with free appetizers. When you finally got a table, there were free crackers and bar cheese. The menu leaned toward big plates of comfort food, cheap. It was our go-to place until it died in 2012. The Pic never changed, except to pare back the extras as business slowed.

Reasons usually cited for restaurant closures are difficulty finding and retaining employees in this economy, and the changing tastes of millennials, who snub the kind of old-school casual dining restaurants that we prefer.
You've still got the oldest continuously operating- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_Oyster_House
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:12 pm With The Spot ..as I recall......it stayed the same until around about 8 years ago. After the woman that ran it or owned it passed away someone else got it. It stayed sorta the same then was sold again. It stayed closed a few months or a year. Then it opened with the same'ish type food..burgers and such..but a younger hipper owner and higher prices with new menu items like shrimp and strange fancy foods. Then it changed owners again and went back to old simple burgers and such and lower prices. It started employing the college kids from down the road after that first redo. Still sad its gone. If I won a lottery Id reopen it old style.
So alienate your old customers, fail to draw new ones, then realize your error and try to get the old ones back again. That's the same basic path that Jimbo's took when its new owner (who really just wanted to run a bar) renamed it Jimbo's Steak & Fin.

Now it's a TD Bank. Like we need more bank branches. Who ever goes inside a bank anymore?

The factor I forgot to mention in restaurant closings is real estate values and/or rent. Property got ridiculously expensive as the city became the most desirable place to live again. There's a limit to how far a restaurant can jack its prices, so they can't generate enough revenue to afford the gold mine they're situated on. Bam! Down comes the old building and up go the new luxury condos.

Like we need more luxury condos.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Kraken wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:01 pm Most restaurants have short lifespans. Even successful independents often don't outlive their founders, and chains have to update every 10 years or so to remain relevant. So it's especially sad when a longstanding eatery folds. Boston has seen several go away in the past couple of years, most recently Durgin Park (founded in 1742 and continuously open since 1842), but also L'Espalier (a formal white-tablecloth special-occasion place, after 40 years) and one of my favorites, Jacob Wirth (Boston's last traditional German restaurant, founded 1868). At least half a dozen other old standbys have shuttered in the past year or two.
Man, I hadn't heard about those closings. My one visit to L'Espalier wasn't all that memorable, but I'm definitely sad to see Durgin Park and Jacob Wirth go away.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Kraken wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:05 pm
gilraen wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:35 pm
I've thought about this. Eventually I'm going to figure out how to get streaming and completely overhaul the way we watch TV. But very few of the movies and TV shows in my netflix queue have "play now" buttons, leading me to think that most of what we like is not available by streaming.
The streaming stuff is more like "let's see what's available" rather than being "I can probably find the movie I already have in mind". It doesn't really replace the disc-based service I used to love; it's more of a completely different offering.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Just heard a quote worth thinking about

"Relationships are built in the between times"

Contextually it was part of thesis claiming we're addicted to our phones and we need to learn when to put them away. As a non smartphone user, I can't relate. As someone who seems to substitute one bit of horribleness as the means to give up another (and not coincidentally spends too much time on the Internet, just not with a smart phone), I can.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

wonderpug wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:40 pm
Man, I hadn't heard about those closings. My one visit to L'Espalier wasn't all that memorable, but I'm definitely sad to see Durgin Park and Jacob Wirth go away.
Yeah, our last OOuting (I think it was the last one) was at Jacob Wirth. They weren't happy about us tying up a table for drinks -- theater district places need to flip their seats quickly, and they chased us into the bar as soon as we finished eating. But now Boston's last German restaurant is Bronwyn, and that's only semi-German.

I won a gift certificate to L'Espalier once. It was the kind of place where $100 didn't quite cover dinner and drinks (20 years ago!) and I was uncomfortable being there in my cheap suit and unpolished manners. But at the same time it was kinda fun to do the high-class formal thing and see how the rich people dine.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

wonderpug wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:42 pm The streaming stuff is more like "let's see what's available" rather than being "I can probably find the movie I already have in mind". It doesn't really replace the disc-based service I used to love; it's more of a completely different offering.
Yeah, if there is a movie or show I want to watch specifically, I check netflix, check amazon prime and if it's not on either I buy it on amazon digitally (and then never watch it).
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I'm not sure people who ask for advice around here ever follow it.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
RuperT

Post by RuperT »

dbt1949 wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:35 pm I'm not sure people who ask for advice around here ever follow it.
All lies and jest, still, a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest.
Quest: MacDaddy0 - PSN: Rupyrt - Live: MooseFoe
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

dbt1949 wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:35 pm I'm not sure people who ask for advice around here ever follow it.
I don't know about that. I'm pretty sure I've followed some advice I read here, even against my own resistance to do so. Not that I recall exactly what however.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:10 pm
wonderpug wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:42 pm The streaming stuff is more like "let's see what's available" rather than being "I can probably find the movie I already have in mind". It doesn't really replace the disc-based service I used to love; it's more of a completely different offering.
Yeah, if there is a movie or show I want to watch specifically, I check netflix, check amazon prime and if it's not on either I buy it on amazon digitally (and then never watch it).
I make the same checks but I've stopped buying movies a long time ago. When something is newly released that I "need" to watch and it's not streaming yet, I'll Redbox it. Failing that, perhaps do a digital rental.
-mf
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Got a pain from my back Ive never had before. Its so bad now days. So damn painful. Its in my right hip/pelvis area. Its the worse in the very back near my backbone. It has been there for nearly 3 weeks. Its so bad I had to go to a chiropractor. I went Thursday. It was radiating down the front of my leg. He popped my back and that helped the front but then the back was worse that night as I lay in bed. It felt like someone had a hot poker in that spot. Ive been using icepacks. I went back yesterday on Friday and he adjusted it again. It was ok until bed and it HURT all night. I tossed all night in pain. Around 6am I put an icepack on it again. He says ice not heat because it will swell worse. It didn't help. So around 8 I put a pillow under it and finally got to sleep until 10am.

Im sitting in pain here. Always hurting. I go back Monday. If I dont get relief in 2 more visits I dont know what Ill do.

Im in terrible pain mentally and physically. Im doing all kinds of shit I dont want to be doing with life. I pray each night to wake up in Heaven with Donna. Yet nothing changes. I still have shit to do, Im still waking up here, and my pain is driving me insane. Tired of it. Day in day out. Im becoming disappointed in God. I just need to stop hurting and be with Donna. Seems neither is happening.

I may have to go to our primary care doc and see about a shot and getting my old muscle relaxers back. Im sure Im worse because I insta quit my pain medicine but dont want it back. May have to spend $20 on tylenol, aleve, and ibuprofen. Maybe the doc could prescribe something non narcotic since doctors cant do a damn thing much these days anyways..
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Posting here that you're wishing for death is not good. Whatever money you're spending on Tylenol, a chiropractor, ice packs, etc... should be funneled into getting yourself to the doctor. Not for pain pills but to figure out exactly what's happening - the pain is a symptom of something else. Masking the pain isn't addressing the core problem. Call your sister. Have her drive you to a clinic or where ever is appropriate. Lean on your family. They want to help. We can offer advice about screws vs nails for drywall or to help you identify a random bug that's on your front porch. No one here can help you (other than repeating the message) to get to a doctor and have them figure out what's happening with your body (and mind). Please, take what help you have via your family and get yourself evaluated. As a random, imaginary internet person I think I'm speaking for many here (if I can be so bold) - do it.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Wishing for death is just part of my grieving. I can drive myself. And we had a cold pack :) . But docs dont do a lot. Not sure if they can help. Thought the chiro could. The Chiro also takes medicare and qmb after my deductible is met. Damn thing .Forgot about that. Donna took care of it before. The doc only takes medicare.

Have been thinking about grief counseling.