Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

Re: Random randomness

Post by Isgrimnur »

Rutabaga.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

A bear's natural habitat?
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

wonderpug wrote:Come on, people. Too many posts in a row have related to the same subject -- can't you see the thread title? :snooty:
Coincidence, those posts appear to be on the same subject but they are completely unrelated. Much like my response has nothing to do with your post.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I wonder what human babies taste like.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Brian

Post by Brian »

Pretty much the same as adults, just more tender.

I mean....that's what I've heard. :ninja:
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I just typed "how" in to google and google filled in "to get away with murder"

That's about fucked up.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

LordMortis wrote:I just typed "how" in to google and google filled in "to get away with murder"

That's about fucked up.
[Ad] Trying to get away with murder? Use Bing!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

LordMortis wrote:I just typed "how" in to google and google filled in "to get away with murder"

That's about fucked up.
I got "how to get away with a murderer" which I take to mean vacations for accomplices?
also "how to tie a tie"
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Followed closely by: How to make slime.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Everything after the question mark in most URLs can be discarded when copying links. 'utm' is Urchin Traffic Monitor parameters.
Holman

Post by Holman »

That's about fucked up.
Maybe you already know, but it's because of this.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Holman wrote:

That's about fucked up.
Maybe you already know, but it's because of this.
I did not.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I've never seen the show, but apparently it's popular enough to displace "How_ I met your mother."
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Paingod wrote:It makes my fingers itch when I see a thread title that has expired. (Film) Movie Name - Trailer is no longer a useful name. We stopped talking about the trailers 2 years ago when the movie was released, and now we're talking about the re-re-release of it on Netflix and a few people who just saw it.
I just get a chuckle out of it. I do try to rename my threads when they grow beyond their original intent (like the post making fun of the huge North Korean rocket launch that became the NK thread, or the sci-fi book recommendation that became our go-to sci-fi novel thread.)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive changed them some but I dont like to. We've used it all that time and we know the title. Its not killing anyone. I like it to stay as is.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Huh. It turns out that you really can blame Canada.
In a fit of fancy over half a century ago, Sam Panopoulos and his brother tossed some canned pineapple onto a pizza in their southwestern Ontario restaurant.

Little did he know he would be inventing one of the most popular - and divisive and debated - pizzas in the world, one that recently grabbed headlines after Iceland's president announced he was "fundamentally opposed" to the topping.

"We just put it on, just for the fun of it, see how it was going to taste," Panopoulos, 83, told the BBC. "We were young in the business and we were doing a lot of experiments."

The brothers were not sure their creation would be any good. But in the end, they liked its savoury sweetness and so did their Canadian diners.

"We tried it first, passed it to some customers," he says. "And a couple of months later, they're going crazy about it. So we put it on the menu."

It's tropical name - "Hawaiian"- came off the can of pineapples used in that first creation.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

So the name Hawaiian was something they had seen on the label of pineapples, so that's how the Pizza got it's name - from the can.

Oh Canada, indeed.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

We were hoping no one would notice. Sorry all.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Holman

Post by Holman »

Fun fact: "Canadian Pineapple" is actually cauliflower.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

My laptop accidentally got put on battery power today. Microsoft sends me a message on my action center or whatever that message box on the right side is telling me Firefox is using too much power and I need to switch to Microsoft Edge.
Who in the hell is microsoft to spam my pc?
:x
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

That's a nice laptop you got there. It would be a shame if something happened to it.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

How can a child drive a car when they're in their carseat all the time. Their little feet have a hard time reaching the pedals.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I love 1950's era pickup trucks. 1948 - 1959. All name brands too...doesn't matter if its a Ford, Chevy, Dodge, GMC, International or other. If I had to choose I would pick Ford as a favorite though. I just love those step side little pickups. Ive always wanted to own one but dont see that ever happening. Dont have the money. Either they have been rebuilt and costs waaay too much or they are rotten to the ground and need a ton of money to repair. But they sure are a work of art.

1952 Ford
Enlarge Image

1952 Chevy
Enlarge Image

1952 GMC
Enlarge Image

1952 International
Enlarge Image

1952 Dodge
Enlarge Image

I love them all!
Rip

Post by Rip »

My Grandfather had an International that looked just like that.

:coffee:
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Hey go here and watch the weather in motion map....3/1/17 ...serious storm to be here at 2pm. Sigh.

http://www.wrcbtv.com/weather

You can scroll the mouse wheel in and out over the map to zoom.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

How do you wash black clothes so that they don't come out spotted with washing soap?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I use liquid and turn them inside out before washing.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Powder or liquid doesn't seem to matter. Turning them inside out is something I'll try tho.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

If the soap isn't rinsing out, then using less might help too.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

We're looking to get some windows replaced. Met with three contractors so far:

Contractor #1: Had a good discussion with him, but he had a really high pressure close. "I can only guarantee this price through the end of the month. After that it's going to double." Told him we were in the process of gathering bids and likely wouldn't have a decision by then. He wouldn't budge and claims it's now twice the cost.

Contractor #2: Really good presentation. Told us he'd get quotes within 24 hours. Called him 2 days later when we hadn't seen anything, claimed his e-mail wasn't working and he'd try to send via his personal e-mail. Still nothing a day later. Called him again today (now 3 days later), and he claims he sent everything yesterday and it must be caught in our spam filters. On both my personal e-mail, my wife's e-mail, and my work e-mail. Sure buddy.

Contractor #3: 20 minutes late to appointment last night, after cancelling the night before. Trash talked both other competitors the entire time. Told me he'd have numbers to me last night, still haven't seen anything as of 2:00 today.

So I've now met with three contractors, and only one of them has actually given me a price...which supposedly doubles today because it's the first of the month. WTF is wrong with these guys? :grund:
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Skinypupy wrote: So I've now met with three contractors, and only one of them has actually given me a price...which supposedly doubles today because it's the first of the month. WTF is wrong with these guys? :grund:
The housing economy is in overdrive (at least locally) and the best contractors already have more business than they can handle.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

I realized yesterday that IMDb removed their discussion boards. Not that they *weren't* a cesspool - any public internet forums are - but it's still a shame, people often posted interesting stuff.
Rip

Post by Rip »

gilraen

Post by gilraen »

For a resident of Colorado, he sure doesn't know how to handle his high...
Holman

Post by Holman »

1688 FTW.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

gilraen wrote:I realized yesterday that IMDb removed their discussion boards. Not that they *weren't* a cesspool - any public internet forums are - but it's still a shame, people often posted interesting stuff.
Hmm, I had some good indie/foreign films discussions there in the early naughts. That's too bad.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

dbt1949 wrote:How do you wash black clothes so that they don't come out spotted with washing soap?
Are you possibly using too much soap?

Is the water level set high enough for the size of the load? If it's too low, the soap won't distribute evenly.

Are you sure it's soap causing the spotting? For instance, washing a pair of white socks in a dark load can lead to blotches of white fabric all over everything else. But this is pretty easy to differentiate.

Is your washing machine maybe skipping a rinse? Or do you have it set for a non-rinse cycle?

If you're using liquid detergent, try shaking the bottle before pouring it in. Otherwise, over time, the detergent will settle at the bottom, and when you get to the bottom, it will be much stronger there.

Try a different detergent if all else fails. Some of the cheaper brands don't disperse evenly. I've seen some cheap brands of liquid detergent pour out of the bottle with lumps in the stream when pouring it out. And some cheap powder detergents can also clump together.

First (cheapest and easiest) thing I would try however, would be to raise the water level and see if that helps. If that doesn't help, reduce the amount of detergent you use by half. Unless your clothes are really dirty, it really doesn't take much detergent to do the job. Most people tend to use too much.

One more thing: If the washing machine is old, it's possible that excess soap has accumulated between the drum and the area outside the drum. Some of this accumulation may have come loose, and pieces of solidified soap may be working its way into the clothes and not dissolving. It's not likely though. The way to test this is that if nothing else works, try running a dark load without any soap at all. If you're still getting detergent spotting, then this is my guess.
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

It has happened in different washing machines and on different cycles. It happens using liquid or powder or them new little packages of soap.
There still could be a cycle we haven't tried yet. How about bi? More? Tri?
Maybe it's the harsh water we have. It's pretty bad. Never noticed this living in other locations.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

Sudy Nym wrote:
gilraen wrote:I realized yesterday that IMDb removed their discussion boards. Not that they *weren't* a cesspool - any public internet forums are - but it's still a shame, people often posted interesting stuff.
Hmm, I had some good indie/foreign films discussions there in the early naughts. That's too bad.
Yeah, it's sad. And while there was a lot of garbage posted there, I didn't think it rose to the level of nuking the entire thing. I was having some reasonably good discussions with people over the years, right up until my last post there a few weeks ago.

And sometimes I'd find out interesting tidbits there (though you had to take them with a grain of salt). For instance, on the Planet Of The Apes (1968) forum, a former neighbor of director Franklin J. Schaffner posted that Schaffner kept the nose of the spaceship (from the scene where the ship sank in the lake) beside his swimming pool.
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd