Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Kasey Chang

Re: Random randomness

Post by Kasey Chang »

I tried the Norelco OneBlade. It's basically a TINY foil shaver in the shape of a disposable. It works. If you're going for clean shave, use your regular electric razor. If you want precision trims and shapes, this may be right up your alley. And the foil shave head is replaceable.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

This 5-year old girl is better at Gran Turismo than you probably ever will be

She also Karts against 10 year olds (and often beats them)
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I hate drifting with every fiber of my being.

ok next.

500,000 year old Homo Erectus paradise discovered.

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/just-o ... und-125392

Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:07 pm Had an MRI yesterday in the ongoing effort to relieve my sciatica. Note from my doctor after reviewing the radiologist report:
Mr [redacted]

MRI showed large disc compressing right L5 nerve root --you should see a surgeon at texas back institute

--[redacted]
He likes to get right to the point.

I'm meeting with an orthopedic surgeon Monday morning.

When did we get so old?
Surgery next week.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I wish you luck Coop. I refuse all back surgery. My brother should have.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:58 pm I wish you luck Coop. I refuse all back surgery. My brother should have.

sometimes I wonder. I think my back problems are causing nerve damage long term but I'm terrified to find out, so I pretend not even as my right arm sometimes goes completely numb. :oops:
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I have the urge for some true hole in the wall truck stop food. One of our friends has started driving again after a long time away and he called tonight from VA in a truck stop having a chicken fried steak dinner. That reminded me of truck stops dad would stop at with us when I was a child on our yearly trips to Florida. As I recall truck stops had some really really good and cheap food. The places looked dirty on the outside and filled with rough people it seemed but inside they were just down home folk , nice folk. And the food is almost always made by someone who has done it all their life or who that is all they do. Im not talking Pilot stations and such...not the fancy stuff which pass for gas truck stops now...Im speaking of those hole in the wall ones that have been there decades.

Now That is some place I need to find near me. last one I recall eating at was called Stuckeys or was a division of Stuckeys.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

So whats on the menu for today folks?

Today we are having turnip greens and cornbread.

Turnip greens are 70% turnip greens and 30% mustard greens. Thats a wonderful mix. tasty.

I make my own recipe cornbread. It turns out fluffy and moist and tasty as well.

2c cornmeal
1 1/3c buttermilk
1/4c melted butter
1 egg
2 heaping spoons of mayo( I use Hellmanns)

I put the cornmeal, egg, and buttermilk together then add the 1/4c melted butter to it along with the mayo. Mix it thoroughly. Add to iron skillet and put 3 - 5 pats of butter on top. Stick in the oven for 30 min at 500 degrees. Do not pre heat the oven.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

When I get home, I'ma fry up a pound 80/20, drain it, mix it with a can of store bought pasta sauce

Layer it in a 9x14 pan:

beef, ricotta (mozzarella and egg) mix, Noodle, beef, ricotta mix, noodle, beef, ricotta mix, noodle, sauce, mozzarella

Bake 350 for an hour and I have whats on the menu for the next three days.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Tonight is burger night. (Veggie burger for the missus.) Tater tots. Cauliflower (break down the head and clean little florets; cook in a very hot skillet with little oil until there are lots of brown parts, hit it with some minced garlic at the end, then toss in a bowl with zest of a lemon, parmesan cheese, and salt). Salad.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

From the book I was reading earlier today:
Scientists used to think of mutations as rare events. But in recent years they have gradually come to realize how many mutations happen. They are accumulated at the rate of about one hundred per genome per generation in mammals. That is, your children will have one hundred differences from you and your spouse in their genes as a result of random copying errors by your enzymes or as a result of mutations in your ovaries or testicles caused by cosmic radiation.
I can honestly say, I've never spent a moment thinking about how cosmic radiation is impacting my testicles, but now I'm intrigued.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I make a mean cauliflower casserole.

Had a frozen lasagna last night. Was actually surprised by how good it was for $4.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

We are making Blue Apron tonight.

Either Pork Chorizo Tacos or General Tso's Chicken. I'll vote for the tacos, I had General's chicken yesterday for breakfast.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Japan humiliated their young at soccer... Three members of their national team went up against 100 kids, including a DOZEN kids lined up as the goalie, and obviously, the adults still won.

https://youtu.be/GE25b1eZe8Y
Holman

Post by Holman »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:44 pm I can honestly say, I've never spent a moment thinking about how cosmic radiation is impacting my testicles, but now I'm intrigued.
Man, you're in for a treat.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:45 pm I make a mean cauliflower casserole.

Had a frozen lasagna last night. Was actually surprised by how good it was for $4.
Last year while working two jobs I sometimes bought a frozen lasagna (Stauffers maybe?) and took it to work. Individual sized, worked great in the microwaves and was actually pretty good. I don't get much lasagna normally as the wife is lactose intolerant and lasagna without cheese sucks.

Another cheap frozen meal I had was the frozen Taco Burrito's somebody makes. I would heat them and then add picante sauce over the top.

Hmm...maybe now I know why I lost 10lbs working nights last year. :lol:
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

Mickey Mouse finally public domain?
In 1998, Disney led an entertainment industry lobbying effort that resulted in the term of copyright being extended by 20 years, even for works that had already been created -- a law with an incoherent basis, given that the US copyright system is constitutionally constrained to passing laws to promote new creative works (giving creators more copyright on works they've already created doesn't get them to make new ones, and it reduces the ability of new artists to remix existing works, the way Disney did with the Grimm's fairy tales).

20 years later, the US public domain is set to start expanding again, with works from 1923 entering the public domain next year, and Mickey Mouse cartoons entering the public domain starting in 2024, with Steamboat Willie.

Ars Technica's Timothy B Lee polled lobbyists for the record and movie industries and both of them said they weren't planning any legislative pushes this year.
Copyright-wise, this is a big deal. It has been assumed for a while now that the goal was "eternal copyright," but apparently major studios and industry players are now giving up on that.

Disney is obviously the most profitable owner of ancient properties, but many many other creative works (including most of the 20th century's most iconic works in many media) have been covered by the Disney blanket. If that's about to change, it means (rolling forward) a mini-revolution in the public domain.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

While it sounds good, it's only better than the worst case scenario, which was retroactive, constantly extended copyright.

So it's really only good in that there are worse scenarios.

You will die long before you see newly created copyrighted material enter the public domain. That's all kinds of fucked up when you look at the reasons copyright exists at all. Generations have to go by before material enters the public domain.

I mean, I guess it's good for people in 2118, but it doesn't do much for us, the generation in which it was created, and the generation where the work is most relevant being contemporary, unless we're willing to pay what the author demands. You might think that's how it should work, but that's not how it was supposed to work.

Even more fucked up is that copyright exceeds the life of the creator. I mean, the guy who owns the original copyright is dead, but he gets to transfer that right from the grave to keep it going. That's like having a contract that is still valid after one of the contractors is dead. If a person's life is not long enough to motivate someone to create new works, are they really going to be motivated to do so if it lasts after they're dead? I get that people want to leave their mark on the world, but not writing a book for no other reason than you'll live to see it enter the public domain is just bizarre. Well, to me anyway.

That corporations can own copyright has it's own problems.

Until Mickey enters the public domain, I'll take lobbyists' words with a grain of salt. Seeing is believing, and we'll see, I guess.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I love working with international agencies, but why is it that every time I have a late night call with one of them, one of my domestic clients requests an early morning call the very next day?

Just got off the phone with Tanzania (at 11:00pm), and have a 6:30am call with DC in the morning. Gonna need lots of caffeine tomorrow. :coffee:

EDIT: And then they don't bother to show up for the 6:30am meeting this morning. The one that they requested and chose the time for. :grund:
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Enlarge Image
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

This week started with ice storms that delayed school. Now it is open window weather. This weekend is supposed to be ice storms.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Meanwhile, in Australia it's so hot that asphalt is melting and bats are falling from the sky with their brains cooked...if you believe in Australia, that is. I suspect that it's a made-up place, like Canada.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Cold front...

Enlarge Image
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, it's going to be close to 60 degrees and heavy rains tomorrow, but apparently temperatures are going to plunge tomorrow night into the weekend. They're already suggesting it's going to be an icy nightmare Saturday morning.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Enlarge Image
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:09 pm Cold front...

Enlarge Image
What that doesn't show is it was 55 when the sun came up.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Scuzz wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:42 pm

Last year while working two jobs I sometimes bought a frozen lasagna (Stauffers maybe?) and took it to work. Individual sized, worked great in the microwaves and was actually pretty good. I don't get much lasagna normally as the wife is lactose intolerant and lasagna without cheese sucks.

Another cheap frozen meal I had was the frozen Taco Burrito's somebody makes. I would heat them and then add picante sauce over the top.

I always thought Marie Callendar's frozen lasagna was superior to Stouffers.

Now, Stouffers frozen mac and cheese? Yum.
Hodor.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

The newest hippie/Silicon Valley craze? Raw water.
At Rainbow Grocery, a cooperative in this city’s Mission District, one brand of water is so popular that it’s often out of stock. But one recent evening, there was a glittering rack of it: glass orbs containing 2.5 gallons of what is billed as “raw water” — unfiltered, untreated, unsterilized spring water, $36.99 each and $14.99 per refill, bottled and marketed by a small company called Live Water.

“It has a vaguely mild sweetness, a nice smooth mouth feel, nothing that overwhelms the flavor profile,” said Kevin Freeman, a shift manager at the store. “Bottled water’s controversial. We’ve curtailed our water selection. But this is totally outside that whole realm.”

The founder of Live Water, Mukhande Singh, started selling spring water from Opal Springs in Culver, Ore., three years ago, but it was a small local operation until this year. Marketing materials show Mr. Singh (né Christopher Sanborn) sitting naked and cross-legged on a hot spring, his long brown hair flowing over his chest.

Pure water can be obtained by using a reverse osmosis filter, the gold standard of home water treatment, but for Mr. Singh, the goal is not pristine water, per se. “You’re going to get 99 percent of the bad stuff out,” he said. “But now you have dead water.”

He said “real water” should expire after a few months. His does. “It stays most fresh within one lunar cycle of delivery,” he said. “If it sits around too long, it’ll turn green. People don’t even realize that because all their water’s dead, so they never see it turn green.”

Mr. Singh believes that public water has been poisoned. “Tap water? You’re drinking toilet water with birth control drugs in them,” he said. “Chloramine, and on top of that they’re putting in fluoride. Call me a conspiracy theorist, but it’s a mind-control drug that has no benefit to our dental health.” (There is no scientific evidence that fluoride is a mind-control drug, but plenty to show that it aids dental health.)
Hodor.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

pr0ner wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:25 pm
Call me a conspiracy theorist,
You go it! :greetings-wavegreen:
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

pr0ner wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:00 pm
Scuzz wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:42 pm

I always thought Marie Callendar's frozen lasagna was superior to Stouffers.

Now, Stouffers frozen mac and cheese? Yum.
I will have to look for that as I found out yesterday I will be starting my second job again as of Jan 22.
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Yeah I saw the raw water thing somewhere.

Since I don't live on a mountain with a nearby naturally filtered spring, I think I'll stick to treated water thanks.

The idea of boiling every glass of water before drinking it is not appealing.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

When I get frozen meals, I get Boston Market meals, Marie Calendar pot pies, Totinos pizza (for a buck? It's almost pizza like and it's easy. Don't judge me!!!), EnCor lasagna (again for two bucks it ain't bad), and the El Montery spicy chicken chimichanga. When one of these happens to be on sale I pick it up for times I have no urge to cook. Of course, after any of them have been sitting in my freezer for six months I feel I have to eat them before they get to freezer ucky.

Marie Calendar's pot pies are probably the best of the lot but don't look at how much salt and calories they pack in.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, I saw the raw water story before the holidays and wondered WTF is wrong with people. Do you like Giardia? Do you like Cholera? Enjoy it.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

GreenGoo wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:52 pm Yeah I saw the raw water thing somewhere.

Since I don't live on a mountain with a nearby naturally filtered spring, I think I'll stick to treated water thanks.

The idea of boiling every glass of water before drinking it is not appealing.
When I read of stagnant bottled water from a "fresh spring" my first thought is dysentery. Drinking stagnant untreated water is the sort of stuff they warn you about when you make sun iced tea.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Don’t forget about brain amoebas.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

The raw water thing seems like a new level of ignorant crazy.

Anyone who ever even looked in the general direction of wilderness survival skills understands the dangers of "raw" water.

Vaccinations? Sure, you need a little bit of understanding to know why they are important.

Clean water? Who doesn't understand that?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I have to wonder why the FDA hasn't body slammed them.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:50 pm I have to wonder why the FDA hasn't body slammed them.
Short answer. It's complicated:
If a company is legally selling bottled water in the United States, it has to be approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). This means it has to pass some safety standards that no natural spring found during a hike is likely to pass.

The FDA requires that bottled water facilities “have the source water inspected and the water sampled, analyzed, and found to be of safe and sanitary quality” according to state and local laws.

A Maine company called Summit Spring sells an “untreated” water brand called Tourmaline Spring. Officials explained that they applied for and were allowed to leave their water untreated by the state and were in compliance with the FDA and state officials.
Now, if they were selling raw milk across state lines? That's a raid with armed enforcers. On paper, public water supplies and bottled water supplies should be of the same (or close) quality and held to the same standard. On the whole, however, public water is safer and/or monitored with greater frequency.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The flu has kept me on the couch for the last couple of days, which has led to a lower back ache. Just a second ago my phone rang. I managed to knock it onto the floor when I grabbed for it. I bent down to get it, and good lord - I have no idea what I just did to my back, but I damned near blacked out. Now I can barely stand to move it.

I hope it is just a pulled muscle.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:15 pm The flu has kept me on the couch for the last couple of days, which has led to a lower back ache. Just a second ago my phone rang. I managed to knock it onto the floor when I grabbed for it. I bent down to get it, and good lord - I have no idea what I just did to my back, but I damned near blacked out. Now I can barely stand to move it.

I hope it is just a pulled muscle.
I have a special way of leaning forward and twisting sideways that leaves me unable to stand straight for three days.