Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Re: Random randomness

Post by Daehawk »

Why do my nurses never look like Kate?

Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Holman

Post by Holman »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:46 pm Why do my nurses never look like Kate?

Enlarge Image
The nurses I know all talk about trying to look plainer at work so that patients won't behave as inappropriately to them.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Holman wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:30 am
Daehawk wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:46 pm Why do my nurses never look like Kate?

Enlarge Image
The nurses I know all talk about trying to look plainer at work so that patients won't behave as inappropriately to them.
Ironically...
“I don't think I fit the type of actress Michael Bay had met before,” Beckinsale recalls of the Transformers filmmaker in a new interview on The Graham Norton Show. “I think he was baffled by me because my boobs weren't bigger than my head and I wasn't blonde.”

“I'd just had my daughter and had lost weight,” Beckinsale explains, “but was told that if I got the part, I'd have to work out. And I just didn't understand why a 1940s nurse would do that.”

Even after Bay presumably spent hundreds of hours staring at the actress during filming and post-production, he still was not able to acknowledge the actress's looks.

“When we were promoting the film, Michael was asked why he had chosen Ben [Affleck] and Josh [Hartnett], and he said, 'I have worked with Ben before and I love him, and Josh is so manly and a wonderful actor',“ Beckinsale said. “Then when he was asked about me, he'd say, ‘Kate wasn't so attractive that she would alienate the female audience.’”
As if there wasn't already reason enough to question his judgement... :coffee:
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Brian

Post by Brian »

So the wife and I are sitting on the couch, the Green Bay/Redskins game on the TV while I browse OO and imgur on my phone.

I turn to my wife and ask, "is today Sunday?"

She just points at the TV and says, "football."

Right. Goddam but I'm dumb sometimes.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Or Thursday or Monday.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

… night. :wink:
-mf
Holman

Post by Holman »

MonkeyFinger wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:08 pm … night. :wink:
"FOOTBALL" in the UK happens during what we in the U.S. experience as mid-day. UNDERSTAND TIME ZONES MUCH???

:naughty:
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

For grins, I looked up my old high school yearbook on Classmates.com. Darn, that brings back some memories. I was in the Computer Club, and they mainly play crappy computer games there. I think I went to one or two programming contests, and that's about it. In fact, I think that's the only time I appeared somewhere OTHER than my class picture.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Freyland wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:02 pmI'm still very much on the idea that you need a longer course of treatment, and probably should be via an IV. I would also like to see the ESR trend downwards. In any case, as I have said before, if things start going off the rails within a few days of stopping the antibiotics, then you really need more aggressive management.
To follow up on the last doctor visits and tests...
  • My new PCP wants to refer me to a Rheumatologist to get the ESR issue checked out. They performed an additional test - I want to say something like ASA or ACA and they think I may have an auto-immune thing going on.
  • The Ophthalmologist dialated me and her only thought was that my retinal nerve's surrounding looked a little abnormal and she wants me observed for Glaucoma.
I'm 41 and doctors are talking about Glaucoma and Arthritis. :shock: No one's talking about an infection anymore. I've been off antibiotics and ibuprofen for days now and the swelling hasn't returned, but I did have a brief spasm of pain in the morning over the weekend. That "black dot" is all but invisible and may be a figment of my imagination now.

I don't have the appointment set up to see the Rheumatologist yet, but will check with the doctors where I work to see if I've accidentally established a baseline for Glaucoma that we can refer back to. When we set up new equipment, I'm usually the test victim and I have had yearly eye exams since I started working here.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Not a doc just another patient in many things. But it sounds like they are off their crock. How does a swollen eyelid that clears up with antibiotics turn into glaucoma? Sounds like the docs are bad at what they do. And arthritis?..Wow. Not sure what left field that came out of but I have it in my shoulders and it started around age 44.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:52 amAnd arthritis?..Wow. Not sure what left field that came out of but I have it in my shoulders and it started around age 44.
I actually threw in the term myself, because my only association in my head with Rheumatologist is "Rheumatoid Arthritis" - they're just saying "auto-immune" with no specific diagnosis yet.
Daehawk wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:52 amHow does a swollen eyelid that clears up with antibiotics turn into glaucoma?
I'm more and more wondering if the 2400mg of ibuprofen per day to treat inflammation was what "cured" me instead of 10 days of Amoxicillin followed by 10 days of (generic) Keflex... but that doesn't explain why the first round of antibiotics without ibuprofen almost worked. So :confusion-shrug:
Black Lives Matter

Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Paingod wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:06 am
Freyland wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:02 pmI'm still very much on the idea that you need a longer course of treatment, and probably should be via an IV. I would also like to see the ESR trend downwards. In any case, as I have said before, if things start going off the rails within a few days of stopping the antibiotics, then you really need more aggressive management.
To follow up on the last doctor visits and tests...
  • My new PCP wants to refer me to a Rheumatologist to get the ESR issue checked out. They performed an additional test - I want to say something like ASA or ACA and they think I may have an auto-immune thing going on.
  • The Ophthalmologist dialated me and her only thought was that my retinal nerve's surrounding looked a little abnormal and she wants me observed for Glaucoma.
I'm 41 and doctors are talking about Glaucoma and Arthritis. :shock: No one's talking about an infection anymore. I've been off antibiotics and ibuprofen for days now and the swelling hasn't returned, but I did have a brief spasm of pain in the morning over the weekend. That "black dot" is all but invisible and may be a figment of my imagination now.

I don't have the appointment set up to see the Rheumatologist yet, but will check with the doctors where I work to see if I've accidentally established a baseline for Glaucoma that we can refer back to. When we set up new equipment, I'm usually the test victim and I have had yearly eye exams since I started working here.
The test to which you refer is an "ANA" or anti-nuclear antibody test. Without going into boring details, the presence of this antibody is seen in a wide-variety of auto-immune disorders. If sufficiently elevated, it is definitely a flag for a present auto-immune disorder or a future auto-immune disorder. Was the ANA abnormal or are you still waiting on results?
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Freyland wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:49 amThe test to which you refer is an "ANA" or anti-nuclear antibody test. Without going into boring details, the presence of this antibody is seen in a wide-variety of auto-immune disorders. If sufficiently elevated, it is definitely a flag for a present auto-immune disorder or a future auto-immune disorder. Was the ANA abnormal or are you still waiting on results?
I believe they said the the ANA was abnormal but couldn't determine what it might mean, thus the Rheumatologist referral.
Black Lives Matter

Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Paingod wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:29 pm
Freyland wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:49 amThe test to which you refer is an "ANA" or anti-nuclear antibody test. Without going into boring details, the presence of this antibody is seen in a wide-variety of auto-immune disorders. If sufficiently elevated, it is definitely a flag for a present auto-immune disorder or a future auto-immune disorder. Was the ANA abnormal or are you still waiting on results?
I believe they said the the ANA was abnormal but couldn't determine what it might mean, thus the Rheumatologist referral.
Okay. I can't add much to the ANA discussion regarding you personally without a lot more information, so will have to wait until you offer any info from the future Rheum visit. I *can* say that the ANA issue may have nothing to do with your eye. There certainly are several auto-immune conditions that cause eye related issues, particularly something called "Uveitis", and that would be a "nice" tie-in with your initial complaints, but I am struck, as you were, by the fact that you improved with the first course of antibiotics that were not associated with any sort of anti-inflammatory use. Also a reminder that the "ESR" is simply a marker of ongoing inflammation, so it would often be elevated in infections, Rheum disorders, and even cancers, so having an elevated ESR can be completely independent from your ANA findings.
Glad to hear that so far your eye seems to be improving and maintaining. Fingers crossed!
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I finally got to do an escape room on Friday. It had an Indiana Jones/Mayan theme, which was kind of funny after completing Shadow of the Tomb Raider the weekend before. The game and escape room both used the Mayan number system in a puzzle so I had that experience going for me. Technically we escaped but I don't think we would have made it if the game master hadn't coached us in a couple spots. The very first puzzle in the very first room was busted because the lock wasn't set right. I guess he was trying to make up for that. Anyway I definitely think I would be up for doing something like that again. I had no trouble with any of the puzzles. My failures were mostly observational.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

Somehow RM9 and I turned this...

into this...

Possibly the greatest achievement in dad-building ever performed.
18-1™ & 2-0
stessier

Post by stessier »

I think it is more impressive that someone took this

Enlarge Image

and turned it into this. ;)

Enlarge Image
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

stessier wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:31 pm I think it is more impressive that someone took this

Enlarge Image

and turned it into this. ;)

Enlarge Image
Yeah, but they got paid to do that. :)
18-1™ & 2-0
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Kasey Chang wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:52 pm For grins, I looked up my old high school yearbook on Classmates.com. Darn, that brings back some memories. I was in the Computer Club, and they mainly play crappy computer games there. I think I went to one or two programming contests, and that's about it. In fact, I think that's the only time I appeared somewhere OTHER than my class picture.
Hold up...Classmates.com is still an actual thing? How?
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Is that unique monthly visitors or site popularity ranking (i.e. #1 is best).

I assume its somehow the latter, since that's the only way that inverted Y axis makes any sense.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:25 pm
Kasey Chang wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:52 pm For grins, I looked up my old high school yearbook on Classmates.com. Darn, that brings back some memories. I was in the Computer Club, and they mainly play crappy computer games there. I think I went to one or two programming contests, and that's about it. In fact, I think that's the only time I appeared somewhere OTHER than my class picture.
I just looked it up yesterday and thought I'd look up my old high school class. I put my info in and then they asked for money, so I quit.
Now I'm on their spam list even tho I "unsubscribed".
Joy
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Yeah, doesn't that involve more than just looking it up, don't you need to sign up and give them information.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

dbt1949 wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:23 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:25 pm
I just looked it up yesterday and thought I'd look up my old high school class. I put my info in and then they asked for money, so I quit.
Now I'm on their spam list even tho I "unsubscribed".
Joy
I tried it and it never loaded the pages after I clicked on the school.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Dog is chowing down on bull pizzle like he doesn't even own a dictionary.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

BBC
Weight Watchers has unveiled a slimmed down version of its name, rebranding itself WW, in what it says marks "the next stage of the company's evolution".

The company says the new name reflects its development from focusing on weight loss to overall health and wellness.

But the chief executive was unable to explain what the letters WW stood for.

Mindy Grossman said they did not stand for Weight Watchers or "Wellness that Works", a phrase the company has trade marked, but were simply "a marque".

"That marque represents our heritage and history and what we are going forward," she said.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

If Violet from The Incredibles dyes her hair black, would the black dye be visible when she turns invisible? What about if she wears makeup, would you see some kind of disembodied face floating around?
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

We know she generates a "field" that Edna references when she designs her suit. Maybe it includes all molecular matter on the surface of her skin/hair, but not far beyond that. You're also assuming she dyes her hair black. It's possible it's part of her mutation, or that maybe some other father is in the picture we don't know about.
Black Lives Matter

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

A few of us are reading through the transcripts of the testimony of one of our Vice Presidents in the energy efficiency division for a hearing he was called in on as a witness on a rate case for a client. It's chock full of this guy's dry and often acerbic mannerisms. My favorite one so far is:

Attorney: So it's your job to select rates and plans for a client that makes them look good?

Our guy: Nah...I just try to find the one that's the most defensible. That's kind of my job.

:lol:
He won. Period.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

NPR's running a story on the cost of life-saving helicopter flights... and how the cost is completely unregulated. The average they've gotten from bills people have sent them was around $40,000 and insurance might pay $12,000 of that... leaving you with a $30,000+ burden. The pricing is completely arbitrary, too. One person might get charged $15,000 while another is charged $55,000.

$12,000 would be a fair-market value and profitable if there wasn't a glut of competition. Apparently, in this market, more competition drives prices up as they have to spread operating costs over fewer patients. To compound the problem, more than half of the flights they make are done for Medicare/Medicaid who only reimburse them $6,500 and they can't go after the patients to fill in the blanks... so they roll that cost right over to everyone else.

So ... I don't ever want to have to get flown anywhere to save my life. Yes, I'd agree to it - but I'd hate myself for it too. :(
Black Lives Matter

A nonny mouse

Post by A nonny mouse »

Paingod wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:39 am NPR's running a story on the cost of life-saving helicopter flights... and how the cost is completely unregulated. The average they've gotten from bills people have sent them was around $40,000 and insurance might pay $12,000 of that... leaving you with a $30,000+ burden. The pricing is completely arbitrary, too. One person might get charged $15,000 while another is charged $55,000.

$12,000 would be a fair-market value and profitable if there wasn't a glut of competition. Apparently, in this market, more competition drives prices up as they have to spread operating costs over fewer patients. To compound the problem, more than half of the flights they make are done for Medicare/Medicaid who only reimburse them $6,500 and they can't go after the patients to fill in the blanks... so they roll that cost right over to everyone else.

So ... I don't ever want to have to get flown anywhere to save my life. Yes, I'd agree to it - but I'd hate myself for it too. :(
/A nonny mouse leaves for helicopter school
I find television very educational. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. - Groucho Marx
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

We used to have insurance for that, at my wife's insistence.
But as there were too many trees and power lines up here there was no place to land and it just didn't seem worth while.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Holman

Post by Holman »

In college my dorm was directly under the helicopter path to the university hospital.

Apparently I'm some sort of Radar O'Reilly, as I could always call out an incoming chopper before any of my friends could hear it.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Am I the only person in the world that works for a company with an HR person who actually TRIES to get employees to fight? :think:
He won. Period.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Like a daycare worker starting a toddler fight club.

I'm sure it will end well. :?
Black Lives Matter

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It makes no sense beyond the concept that he's just a bitter person who thrives on causing trouble. He KNOWS that one of my office mates and myself have drastically different political views. That we once didn't talk to each other for a month after getting into an argument that I should have pulled out of immediately (we've since made peace). And that I've told him repeatedly that I no longer discuss politics in the office due to that.

So what does he do this morning? Stands between our cubicles and starts talking politics and then asking what we think of thing as relating to the SCOTUS trials, yesterday's UN speech, etc.. :roll:

edit: I do like the concept of a toddler fight club though.
He won. Period.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

hepcat wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:11 pmedit: I do like the concept of a toddler fight club though.
Yeah. It didn't end well.
Black Lives Matter

dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

What was that thing some 10-15 years ago about like 50 midgets took on a tiger and they all got killed?
Toddler fights kind of reminds me of that.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch