Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

coopasonic

Re: Random randomness

Post by coopasonic »

Had an MRI yesterday in the ongoing effort to relieve my sciatica. Note from my doctor after reviewing the radiologist report:
Mr [redacted]

MRI showed large disc compressing right L5 nerve root --you should see a surgeon at texas back institute

--[redacted]
He likes to get right to the point.

I'm meeting with an orthopedic surgeon Monday morning.

When did we get so old?
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I had an MRI on my right knee on December 27th. Complex tear of the posterior horn medial meniscus, slight strain (grade 1) of MCL, mild osteoarthritis behind the kneecap. Talking surgery options on 1/15.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Over the holiday weekend, my mother called sprinkles (as in, "What do you put on ice cream?") jimmies. I am left with no other choice but to believe she's been replaced with a pod person.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
stessier

Post by stessier »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:27 pm Over the holiday weekend, my mother called sprinkles (as in, "What do you put on ice cream?") jimmies. I am left with no other choice but to believe she's been replaced with a pod person.
Is she originally from or had she recently visited New England? That's what we grew up calling them in Western MA.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I thought jimmies where GMC off roading trucks.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:27 pm Over the holiday weekend, my mother called sprinkles (as in, "What do you put on ice cream?") jimmies. I am left with no other choice but to believe she's been replaced with a pod person.
Or perhaps rustled?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

My first reaction was "isn't that what they are called?". Maybe due to growing up in Vermont.

Of course, I often have trouble trying to pick a specific term. Half my childhood was in Vermont, the remainder in Texas. Which means that in many cases I have used more than one term regularly.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

stessier wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:28 pmIs she originally from or had she recently visited New England? That's what we grew up calling them in Western MA.
Born and raised in Jersey City. There's no reason for her to refer to them as jimmies in any capacity.
Holman

Post by Holman »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:20 pm I had an MRI on my right knee on December 27th. Complex tear of the posterior horn medial meniscus, slight strain (grade 1) of MCL, mild osteoarthritis behind the kneecap. Talking surgery options on 1/15.
Reconstruction? Replacement? Squirting in the goo?

I need to go for an MRI. I'm at the point where jogging 30 yards to catch a bus leaves me with knee pain all day.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Holman wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:58 pm
ImLawBoy wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:20 pm I had an MRI on my right knee on December 27th. Complex tear of the posterior horn medial meniscus, slight strain (grade 1) of MCL, mild osteoarthritis behind the kneecap. Talking surgery options on 1/15.

I need to go for an MRI. I'm at the point where jogging 30 yards to catch a bus leaves me with knee pain all day.
Don't know for sure, but it sounds like a menisectomy (or partial menisectomy). I think they're likely to just scope it out and clean it up and then send me to rehab (but I'll say, "No, no, no"). From my research, the torn meniscus is all that really needs surgery - the rest would probably be done via rehab. I'll find out more soon, and it can't be soon enough. I first hurt it in early October (doing I have no idea what), and it suddenly got really bad in mid-December (just walking to pick up dry cleaning). I've been wearing a knee brace and limping ever since, and now my opposite hip is starting to hurt from all the limping.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Step on a crack, you'll break your mother's posterior horn medial meniscus with slight strain (grade 1) of MCL and mild osteoarthritis behind the kneecap.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The Oxford Dictionary wrote:jim·mies
[ˈjimēz]
NOUN
  • tiny multicolored sugar shapes, typically rods and balls, used for decorating cakes, ice cream, and other desserts; sprinkles.
    • (especially in the US Northeast) chocolate rod-shaped sprinkles.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
stessier

Post by stessier »

Max Peck wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:10 pm
chocolate rod-shaped sprinkles.
This is the only acceptable definition.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

stessier wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:12 pm
What do you call these:

Enlarge Image Enlarge Image
wonderpug wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:07 pm
Step on a crack, you'll break your mother's posterior horn medial meniscus with slight strain (grade 1) of MCL and mild osteoarthritis behind the kneecap.
You must whip it!
Rip

Post by Rip »

Those Beckys sure love Jimmies and vice versa.
“A simple democracy is the devil’s own government.”
— Benjamin Rush
--
stessier

Post by stessier »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:19 pm
What do you call these:

I'm not a car guy. They are trucks.
Holman

Post by Holman »

stessier wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:29 pm
LordMortis wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:19 pm
What do you call these:

I'm not a car guy. They are trucks.
Wrong. The first one is very clearly a Severe Early-Onset Midlife Crisis.
stessier

Post by stessier »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:07 pm

Don't know for sure, but it sounds like a menisectomy (or partial menisectomy). I think they're likely to just scope it out and clean it up and then send me to rehab (but I'll say, "No, no, no"). From my research, the torn meniscus is all that really needs surgery - the rest would probably be done via rehab. I'll find out more soon, and it can't be soon enough. I first hurt it in early October (doing I have no idea what), and it suddenly got really bad in mid-December (just walking to pick up dry cleaning). I've been wearing a knee brace and limping ever since, and now my opposite hip is starting to hurt from all the limping.
My father had meniscus surgery. He was an associate at Lowes and stood on concrete all day. He survived a year before having the surgery and had a serious limp when he finally decided to do it. He said it was amazing and the recovery wasn't bad at all (I believe his was where they snip the detached piece out rather than try and sew it back together). No pain at all today.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Pretty sure context would prevent someone from thinking I wanted an off-road vehicle on top of my ice cream....

I'd also expect that most of the time those would come with a "GMC..." in front of them. Otherwise, if I hadn't looked closely at the picture, I'd have gone with "Broncos" or "Blazers".

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

stessier wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:32 pm
ImLawBoy wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:07 pm

My father had meniscus surgery. He was an associate at Lowes and stood on concrete all day. He survived a year before having the surgery and had a serious limp when he finally decided to do it. He said it was amazing and the recovery wasn't bad at all (I believe his was where they snip the detached piece out rather than try and sew it back together). No pain at all today.
That's more or less what I'm hoping for.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Amazon suggests they are confetti or Decoratifs... under the confectionery category of sprinkles/spinkles and glitter.

We called the round ones BBs and they flat ones sprinkles.

I've never heard of confetti or decoratifs and only heard of Jimmies when I took one of those "Where you from?" tests.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

People can argue about what they should be called (incidentally, they're called sprinkles), but the fact remains that there's no reason for my own mother to suddenly start calling them jimmies. The invasion might have already started.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

I'm in the group which calls the chocolate ones jimmies, and the rainbow colored ones sprinkles.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Holman

Post by Holman »

They're all "sprinkles."

They're also bad crunchy little specks that ruin good ice cream.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Yeah, I am going with "pointless"
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

I'm not sure what the point of having AAA is if they won't come to my building tonight to replace my car battery.

If I were ANYWHERE but home, they would come out tonight. But at home? Noooooooooooope.
Hodor.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Holman wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:34 pm They're all "sprinkles."

They're also bad crunchy little specks that ruin good ice cream.
Tish pshaw. In proper English (i.e. British) the correct term for "sprinkles" is Hundreds & Thousands, as illustrated below:

Enlarge Image
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Hundreds and Thousands of what?!
Hodor.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

pr0ner wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:07 pm Hundreds and Thousands of what?!
Miniaturized Dr Oetkers
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

For a week now its been 27 highs and 12 lows. Our normals are in the 50s in the day..brrrr....bought frozen. My outside dog no longer knows if he lives inside or outside. There have been 4 water main breaks in Chattanooga in 5 days.

Looks like its going to warm up....and of course early Monday there may be freezing rain and sleet in the early morning....right when I have to be in town.

Enlarge Image

Hell the low next week is going to be 30+ degrees higher than last week.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i just now attempted to fix my Braun 5415 electric shaver, since the power switch was slowly breaking. i purchased it about 17 1/2 years ago, and i am shocked the Ni-Cad batteries in it are still (sorta) working. i took it apart and managed to get the busted plastic piece out of the switch and it now mostly works, weirdly enough. and i replaced the foil shaver block once more - kudos to Braun for still selling replacement blades for this model. i could replace the batteries with generic Ni-Cads, but i never use the cordless option. however, none of the other parts i need (replacement power switch, screw cover caps) are available for sale at all. i hope i can eke another few years of life out of this, but if i could get another 5415, i could cannibalize the parts needed.

cleaning out the interior was the longest part of the operation. do you know how much facial hair accumulates inside an electric razor after 17 1/2 years? you don't want to know.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Saw 2 on Ebay...$25 or best offer on one and $24 on the other and it has a new battery :)..both work and are nice. Id hate to pay that and then tear it apart.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

yeah, i wouldn't at that price. was more thinking of a non-working razor.

like, i had a Kindle (2nd Gen Keyboard) that was damaged by my son (it was an accident) and i looked online for a screen. couldn't find one, but a friend just gave me her 2nd Gen Keyboard for free. now, this one is a wi-fi model and mine is a 3G data network one, but i'd feel weird for tearing apart a perfectly-working Kindle for this... not to mention the teardown and reassembly process being a huge pain on this particular model... which led me back to looking for replacement screens again. and i found a B-grade screen for $10 that would work... i dunno.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

So let's recap the last 10 days:

Fuel line in my car apparently spraying gasoline on the engine block because clamps magically came loose in cold weather
2 deaths in the family
Go into the basement an hour ago to find my water heater has apparently been slowly oozing water all day and now a 1/4 of my basement is moist.

6 days into the New Year and I'm done.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Ugh. I'm sorry for your loss, and the rest is such a hassle.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Close family died Christmas night so know how that is. So very sorry.

Lost water heater in 2016 so know that one too. It leaked a bit then got up oen day and it was in the floor. Steamed up the entire back area in cold weather and then poured under the floor and shorted out my stove.

Not had a deal with car and hoping not. I forgot to start it this week and when I did last night it almost did nothing but crank. Musta had some ice somewhere. It finally caught and started. PHEW.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, mostly inconveniences. I don't have any basement floor drains, but maybe I need to consider it now. I'm sure it's cheap and easy to jackhammer flooring and install that. :D

My basement is partially finished - I have painted floors and area rugs in about 1/2 the floor space - it's where I board game and paint minis. The water missed going into that area by about 15". If I hadn't made a random trip into the basement last night at 10pm, I probably wouldn't have noticed it until today and it would have absolutely been much worse. I did speak to a plumber this morning and he's coming out tomorrow morning to assess it all. He said he normally would have been able to come out today, but with the absurdly cold weather he's dealing with heating emergencies non-stop. Amazingly, these things never happen at a convenient time. The fuel spraying was the day before a wake and now a failed water heater at 10pm on a Saturday night during a record-setting cold snap.

It's 10:30am...I think it's time for a Scotch.
A nonny mouse

Post by A nonny mouse »

hitbyambulance wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:14 am i just now attempted to fix my Braun 5415 electric shaver, since the power switch was slowly breaking. i purchased it about 17 1/2 years ago, and i am shocked the Ni-Cad batteries in it are still (sorta) working. i took it apart and managed to get the busted plastic piece out of the switch and it now mostly works, weirdly enough. and i replaced the foil shaver block once more - kudos to Braun for still selling replacement blades for this model. i could replace the batteries with generic Ni-Cads, but i never use the cordless option. however, none of the other parts i need (replacement power switch, screw cover caps) are available for sale at all. i hope i can eke another few years of life out of this, but if i could get another 5415, i could cannibalize the parts needed.

cleaning out the interior was the longest part of the operation. do you know how much facial hair accumulates inside an electric razor after 17 1/2 years? you don't want to know.
Enlarge Image
Just saying. :D I have a few I have been using for about 12 years that are from the early 20th century. If you want a fantasic straight, go to Portland Razor Co. Fantastic razors.
I find television very educational. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. - Groucho Marx
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i like the looks of this one but i'd never be able to carry it on the plane with me (i never check luggage).

endoscopy tomorrow morning. i had to start fasting an hour and a half ago and it's really bothering me that i can not eat anything.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Toyota and BMW are apparently after "the longest drift Guiness world record", and BMW just came up with a new way to help... It's the ability to REFUEL WHILE DRIFTING. Yep, like mid-air-refueling except on the ground. HOLY ****. They are drifting for more than TWO SIX EIGHT (?) HOURS continually.

https://jalopnik.com/bmw-invented-mid-d ... 1821870208
Last edited by Kasey Chang on Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds