Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Skinypupy

Re: Random randomness

Post by Skinypupy »

Somehow I find myself wholly prepared to run through a wall for...(checks notes)...the new logo of Iceland's soccer team.

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

I feel like I should be able to tell the difference between the eagle and the dragon in the logo.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Dragon is on the right and has a horn on the end of its nose.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

That's an awesome logo. It's intricate and visually interesting without being over-designed (IMO). I'm not the kind of person who would get a team logo tattooed, but if I were, I'd be OK with that one.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
stessier

Post by stessier »

That's really spectacular. I'm in.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I think I've said it before (as has someone else) but it is very common for me to wake up with a random song in my head. Today's song, in particular, makes no sense. Or maybe it does.... Brains are weird.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

That reminds me of Deep Space Nine.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Been working on mitigation from a power outage since 07:00 this morning. Finally got a break for breakfast/lunch. Today was the first time I went to drive thu, handled money, and had a pop since maybe late February and the second time I have let someone else prepare my food since late sometime in March. Crazy. And I've never been a fan of Pepsi but today, while I have no AC in the building aside from the data center, which I am not working from... soooo good. I even splurged for the Taco Bell Taco pizza meal. $9 lunch? What?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thanks to COVID my car insurance is only $14 this month.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:48 pm Thanks to COVID my car insurance is only $14 this month.
My PLPD is still $80 to mostly keep my car parked in the garage.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Quick question around inclusive language.

A speaker is delivering a presentation and has someone providing ASL interpretation for a hearing-impaired participant. What is the correct term for how the hearing-impaired participant is interacting with the interpreter?

- Are they watching the interpreter?
- Are they reading the interpreter?
- Are they listening to the interpreter?
- Something else?
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Grokking?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:50 pm Quick question around inclusive language.

A speaker is delivering a presentation and has someone providing ASL interpretation for a hearing-impaired participant. What is the correct term for how the hearing-impaired participant is interacting with the interpreter?

- Something else?
That's a good question and I don't know the answer despite having a hearing impaired son (who uses cochlear implants instead of sign language). Can you sidestep the issue by saying the participant is "watching the presentation" or "attending the presentation" and not focusing on the interpreter? Or is there something specific about the interaction with the interpreter you're going for?
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Yeah, that's what we'll do.

I was mostly just trying to ensure our instructor was using the correct terminology, if possible. I also pinged my cousin who manages translation services for a university and he didn't know, and neither did his deaf colleague.

If no one knows, then I would guess the terminology isn't a big deal.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

That is probably the best idea, although my first thought would have been to use the word 'following.'
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

You made me curious. I can not find the active state other "user" Everything is passive or conjoined such "exchange" or "conversing" or "convey" or "receive from". The best place I found was here and they have email address.

https://theaslapp.com/faq

But this is all they had interpreter etiquette
What is an interpreter for?
To facilitate communication between a Deaf and hearing person. There are also Certified Deaf Interpreters (CDI) who specialize in cultural and linguistic exchanges.

How do I talk to a Deaf person when there is an interpreter?
When using an interpreter, their role is to facilitate communication between the Deaf person and the non signer. They will speak in first person as the Deaf person, you should look at the Deaf person and speak directly to the them instead of “tell him or her”.
This site suggests signing is read

https://cudoo.com/blog/deaf-etiquette-d ... d-to-know/
When fingerspelling or signing, keep a steady hand. Your signs are easier to read when your hand is not shaking.
Though I'm not sure reading the Interpreter is correct.

Use is the by far the most common expression but it does not convey active listening/reception.

https://www3.gallaudet.edu/clerc-center ... eters.html

https://www.nationaldeafcenter.org/site ... ssroom.pdf

In every thing I've read the stressed thing to remember is that interpreter isn't in the conversation. That the speaker is addressing the hearing impaired. So it would imply that the participant is listening to the speaker and the interpreter is means with which they are doing so.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I guess they're all the same as I saw an interview with Mila Kunis who speaks perfect Russian and she said on movie promo trips over there that she listens to the interpreter sometimes and what her friends get in their earpiece is not the true things being said. The interpreter will most times simplify it or shorten the questions or speech. She said every now and then they will embellish it and make it better but not usually.

Stuff like "We loved your movie and found it fun" gets told as "We enjoyed it"

She also said some people like cabbies will talk shit about you and think you dont understand them. She loves calling them on at the end of the ride and giving them a what for.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

My lawn mower just refuses to cooperate. I spent $20 on that part it needed. Got it all installed and made not even a full pass on my yard and the blade spins on the shaft. Useless. I couldn't get it back apart so today I spent $50 on a impact driver. That got it apart but looking at that part I bought its broken same as the old one. The blade adapter has a star shaped protrusion on it and the blade has the same shape hole in it. They fit and its supposed to lock the blade to the shaft so it doesn't spin freely. But that star shaped part even though it was ok on the new part is now also flush against the rest of. I dont know how or why it did this. Its a solid cast part. That star shape is not a separate insert and it doesn't appear to have sheared off so Im at a loss as to how this is happening. Ive asked for a replacement or refund. Ill try once more. But other than that Im not sure what to do. I used my spare money on that impact driver to work on the mower. If theres a second stimulus Ill look for a cheap used riding mower. Until then though my yard is tuning into a hay field and I have an insurance inspector due this month.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

You have obviously pissed off the lawnmower gods.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:30 pm My lawn mower just refuses to cooperate.
I suspect you're missing a part that goes between the two. Call it a hunch. :)
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I was doing some air fryer experiments. I had some chunked pork rib tips in the freezer. I want to know if there's a nearly fool-proof and practically zero-effort way to cook them without spending too much time. So I grabbed enough (frozen) to fill a SMALL microwave container. Plopped it into the air fryer to "defrost" it for 5 minutes, until the chunks are all separated. In the meanwhile, I added a good amount of ketchup, sriracha sauce, some soy sauce, and some water, mixed it all together in the microwavable container, dropped the defrosted pork in the container, slapped on the lid, and shook it vigorously so everything's coated. (the sauce had a good amount of ketchup so it's thick-runny, but not easily flowable) Then I dropped the meat back into the air fryer and set it to 350 for 15 minutes, stop half way, turn over the bits that don't look cooked, drizzle what's left of the "sauce" from the container onto the pork, then continue heating for another 10 minutes, then add time as needed depending on how well-done you want it. (When I made it, I think I left it at 400 and I ended up overcooking it slightly). Not too bad, I must say. But then, I'm not a picky eater.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Hrothgar wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:43 pm I feel like I should be able to tell the difference between the eagle and the dragon in the logo.
I dunno, looks like 2 eagles, a bull, and a Viking to me. :D
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Kasey Chang wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:50 pm
Daehawk wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:30 pm My lawn mower just refuses to cooperate.
I suspect you're missing a part that goes between the two. Call it a hunch. :)
Other than the blade theres only 3 parts to the adapter kit. The piece that goes on the shaft, the bolt, and a metal piece that goes on the blade under the bolt. Its that star shaped adapter itself thats a pos. All mowers my life have had an adapter that you bolted on by itself then it had 2 bolt holes on each side that the bolts go through the blade and into the adapter. Simply and works. This model depends on that shitty star shaped piece of junk to hold the blade steady. Its a terrible design.

Enlarge Image

Somehow that star shaped protrusion was ok. I installed it and mowed a tiny strip and it stopped. took it apart and that star area is flat as the rest of it. So it stops griping the blade. No idea why it does that or how to prevent it in a new part.

Enlarge Image
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I don't supposed you can put in that blade "upside down", eh?
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Masks... I have a box of disposables and prices for disposables in Chinatown was as low as $15, but more like $20-25. It was as high as $40-50 at one time.

Personally, I ordered some cotton reusable ones and when those didn't arrive in time, I ordered some more. Now I have three orders all arrived in the same week... I got now 13 reusable masks. :D Call this a minireview. :D

Old Navy -- mostly gray, one "camo", have "pleats" that fold out, but it's relatively thick and not that easy to breathe through it. No nose-metal piece to get a good fit to prevent fogging. I think it's 5 for $15.

Woot! "Laser cut" -- thinner, more "face conforming" shape, actually has up and down (not interchangeable) but not labeled. Pretty easy to breathe through, pretty comfortable, good nose coverage. Also good price (5 for $10). Ear loops though were not separate, so if it tears, it's done.

Yiiza 3-pack (from Amazon) -- expensive, but first to arrive (3 for $16) good cone-shaped, adjustable nose bridge so good fit, but also relatively thick.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

there's a lot of room for face mask improvement and innovation - i suspect seeing more of that in the next year.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Kasey Chang wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:06 pm I don't supposed you can put in that blade "upside down", eh?
Nope
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Local lawyer commercial

"Fell in the parking lot at work so I called The Insiders"

Let get this straight..your fat clumsy ass tripped and fell and instead of getting up and going home you called some lawyers and sued your company? HAHAHAHAHa They should have laughed you out of court then fired your stupid ass. Yet another problem with this country.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im sorely tempted to have the blade welded to the adapter :twisted:
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Am I the only one who, while browsing Youtube (on mobile), "saves" things I want to watch later by letting a few seconds play, stopping the video, and digging them out of history later? Yes, I know there's a Watch Later feature.

Sometimes I think about all the videos I've saved that have gotten buried by other things I've watched and I've forgotten about. Is my life worse for having missed them?

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I would say better.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I dunno man, a lot of them are about astronomy and physics. I could basically have a PhD by now.

Holman

Post by Holman »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:50 pm Quick question around inclusive language.

- Something else?
I think I might go with following the interpreter. It has the sense of "paying attention to, understanding" without any metaphor of one sense or another baked in.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Sudy wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:38 pm I dunno man, a lot of them are about astronomy and physics. I could basically have a PhD by now.
I dunno, I 've been watching game movies (i.e. compiled cutscenes), British and Aussie paramedics show (inside the ambulance), air ambulance, real responders, some cooking shows (4 levels of chef by Epicurious), and so on. AND some JavaScript tutorials.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Did you consider asking in https://www.reddit.com/r/deaf/ or their Discord https://discord.gg/ae8T8pG perhaps?

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:23 am Local lawyer commercial

"Fell in the parking lot at work so I called The Insiders"

Let get this straight..your fat clumsy ass tripped and fell and instead of getting up and going home you called some lawyers and sued your company? HAHAHAHAHa They should have laughed you out of court then fired your stupid ass. Yet another problem with this country.
We are not a suing family but my mother, while pregnant, once fell because the there was baseball diameter chunk missing from the asphalt. Her shoe got caught and her knee was... whatever happens to knees, when legs say "fuck you I can't do that" (torn? dislocated? shattered?) and it complicated her pregnancy and necessitating inpatient hospital observation for I don't remember how long until she gave birth (I was 10. I remember it as months but it could have been weeks) and then having to come home to care for your newborn while still wheelchair bound. I think suing would have been within her rights and not because she was clumsy. Not adequately policing your commercial premise for hazards at a reasonable level, I think is legitimate cause for litigation. (We did not sue but lord knows I'd have felt no shame if we would have)
Last edited by LordMortis on Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

It’s about reasonable care. I can’t stop you from tripping over your clumsy feet, but I can prevent or fix foot-sized holes in a high-traffic area.

The “lawsuits out of control” examples often involve missing facts. Like McDonalds knowingly increasing the heat on coffee to burn-your-ass levels. Sure, people try to take advantage. But most of the time, they should be losing.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Zarathud wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:09 pm It’s about reasonable care. I can’t stop you from tripping over your clumsy feet, but I can prevent or fix foot-sized holes in a high-traffic area.

The “lawsuits out of control” examples often involve missing facts. Like McDonalds knowingly increasing the heat on coffee to burn-your-ass levels. Sure, people try to take advantage. But most of the time, they should be losing.
What was often not disclosed was McDonald's had known about the problem for... 10 years.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Me and Buster, the little 3 lb Chihuahua, were rushing to the kitchen when we turned the corner and ran into a snake. Just a juvenile but it looked like a Copperhead from the distance. I yell STOP! and all 3 of us froze for a moment. I looked back to make sure Buster was stopped and he was but I saw him leaaaaan slowly over to look around me. He saw the snake and was like "Aw hell no" and headed back to the computer room lol. So cute. I pinned the snake down and got a good look at it and it was a little Rat Snake. So I picked him up and took him to our back woods area and let him go. Now I know why my rat has been nervous for a couple days.

You can see he is just about arms length as he is coiled through and around my hand then down onto the ground. Ive found them over 6 foot in the house and had to take them out.
Enlarge Image
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

See them around here all the time. I stick em out in the front yard so they don't get tangled with the dogs.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949