Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Re: Random randomness

Post by Daehawk »

Ill never use a password manager. Seems totally unsafe to put all my passwords online to be hacked at once.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:40 pm Ill never use a password manager. Seems totally unsafe to put all my passwords online to be hacked at once.
Granted, but effective secure password managers typically rely upon end-to-end encryption, e.g quoting from Bitwarden's section on Vault Security in the Bitwarden Password Manager:
End-to-End Encryption for All Vault Data

Bitwarden uses end-to-end encryption for all vault data. Only your email and master password can decrypt your vault. Bitwarden does not have the ability to see any data in your vault.

Since your data is fully encrypted before ever leaving your local device, no one from the Bitwarden team can ever see, read, or access your data. Bitwarden servers only store encrypted and hashed data. This is an important step that Bitwarden takes to protect you. To put it simply, your data is encrypted at the moment it is stored on your device and remains that way until you view it with your unique email and master password combination. You can read more about how your data is encrypted and transmitted in our help article here.
If that still leaves you feeling apprehensive, then use an offline secure password manager instead (such as the free and open source KeePass). But the fact that you have had three accounts compromised within a month clearly indicates that what you are currently doing to keep your online data safe is about as useful as a screen door on a submarine.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Oklahoma apparently has it out for us. For the second time since we've been here, all local TV is preempted because an incoming line of storms is generating tornadoes :ninja:

Visited the Tulsa Zoo yesterday and the Oklahoma Aquarium today. Both very nice. Then it was putting the stuff on the luggage cart and heading to the car:

Enlarge Image
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Holman

Post by Holman »

jztemple2 wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:33 pm Oklahoma apparently has it out for us. For the second time since we've been here, all local TV is preempted because an incoming line of storms is generating tornadoes :ninja:
A friend of mine grew up in PA/NJ and took an academic job at the University of Oklahoma.

She later reported that she'd never really experienced weather before.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

We got to Oklahoma Friday night. Since then we've had temps from the 50s to the 90s, blasting wind, rain, hail, nearby tornadoes and yes, sunny weather. We are expecting lows in the 40s this weekend. Probably next week we'll see water turning to blood, frogs, lice, flies, livestock pestilence, boils, more hail, locusts, darkness and the killing of firstborn children.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

As someone that spent close to two decades in Lubbock, all I can do is nod, spit, and say, “Ayup.”
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:32 pm As someone that spent close to two decades in Lubbock, all I can do is nod, spit, and say, “Ayup.”
And Buddy Holly! :)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Some ass tried to register on Binance using my email. Not sure why they thought that would work as they sent the activation code to MY email lol.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Maybe you should think about changing your email password, just to be safe. Are you so sure that they don't have it?

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Nope had not. hmm...good idea. Wonder if I remember it.

EDIT: Checked...someone from somewhere else using Chrome had been in there alright. Seems the user / s are always Chrome. Im not sure if the same single person got all info for everthing or Chrome is good for hackers.
Last edited by Daehawk on Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:14 am Wonder if I remember it.
:doh:

And yet you are against password managers.... It seems likely that the one you do rely on (your memory), is not exactly reliable.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Looking for a way to contact Binance and have any account created with my email removed....its a crypto site overseas. Cant find a way.

Hmmm wonder if I can access that account and take any and all crpto from the asshole.

EDIT I used that same email of mine to go in and ask for a password reset at Binance lol. If I can do that I can take the account.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Still waiting on that verification code. Did get a registration code for 'my' account. And he cant get back in my email to get it.

Giving up. reset pass but he didn't get to finish setting up the account due to not getting the code. I could finish it but see no point and it wants my ss# so pass.
stessier

Post by stessier »

It wants "a" SSN.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Seriously, get a password manager. I recommend BitWarden, but we have an entire thread on the topic. Your concerns are not well founded, and you're paying the price. One big advantage with a password manager is that you can start using properly complex passwords/phrases, as you will very rarely be typing them in (and can copy them for pasting in seconds.)

Get a password manager, then sit down and spend an afternoon just changing passwords for anything that matters.

And if you're not going to secure your email account, set up a new one. Gmail is free. Set it up, give it an absurd password, and start transferring any account of significance to the new one. You can keep the old one around, just don't do anything important with it.

Absurd password example. : N3w5n#L8Cz!!Lt6Xxu#EhKYXfL&Ubg4vj@ Somebody will be along with the CorrectHorseBatteryStaple meme shortly.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I use both options. My password for my manager is a phrase. But the passwords that I have it generate are usually of the random kind. Though I don't generally use that many characters.

Black Lives Matter

stessier

Post by stessier »

Once I switched to Bitwarden, my default password for all sites went to over 20 characters. I've only had one site, I think, require a shorter one. I've only regretted it once where I had to login to something on Roku and there was no option to activate online - that was a bit of a pain.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Hmmm the COLA coming up for Social Security is 5.9%...fuck. Its not been that high it said since 1982. SS is SEVERELY lagging behind the real cost of living..but this can cause problems too. Like me and my wife had subsidized help with our SS fee for coverage each month. But if you got too much money from SS...say even $1 then you lost out on help....anything from $50 - $100 a month would hit you. That was HARD for us.

When my wife passed they shored me up with QMB. Essentially I have no co payments of fees. But with this large a raise it may kick me over the limit. Will need to look into this. its like a $50 raise.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

And we have closed on the sale of the old house! It's such a relief to have that taken care of.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Congrats! Are you already in a new house?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

And my medicine made me sick today. Should not have taken all those over the counter pain meds first. But really wanted to stand upright today. Fuck there goes $10.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:42 pm Congrats! Are you already in a new house?
Yes. Moved in a couple of weeks ago (so still lots of boxes around the house).
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Better clean them up. Dont want to attract cats.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Anyone tried the 505 Southwestern Green Chili mush from Costco? I've gotten to the point where I put it in everything. Pasta? Chili? Meatballs? Burritos? Quesadillas? Baked Potatoes? I'm about two steps away from putting it in my oatmeal just to see what it'd taste like.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I am pretty much that way with green Tobasco sauce.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Heh, their website says what I say

https://www.505southwestern.com/
Green Chile Really Does
Make Everything
Taste Better!

505 Southwestern
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Our CostCo just started carrying a new 505 green chile.

The old one is just green chiles. It looks like it is best for things like cooking.

The new one has tomatoes and other stuff in addition to the green chiles. Seems like it would be good as a sauce. Is that what you mean by "mush"?

Also... what's the deal? Is it "chili" or "chile". They use the latter on their website. But the spellchecker really doesn't like it. I went with their version since we are talking about their product.

Black Lives Matter

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

It's not just Green Chili's. It's a green chili mix. In my link it's the blue one. Not a salsa or anything.

Edit: No, I guess it is just green chilis

"Green Chile peppers, Garlic Salt, Lime Juice Concentrate"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I eat Tabasco Green on lots of stuff. I use original on Tuna though.

My fedora. Wore it to the mailbox. Its still in its large hat box. Im so proud of that hat. It may be one of the finest things I own apparel wise. Was expensive. Conversed with a milliner at JJ Hat Center 5th Ave NYC and purchased from them. This would have been around 2014 after a small incoherence. This was the item I wanted. Had wanted. And I got one. Love it. Such a wonderful looking and feeling hat. Nothing like a fine fedora. I take very good care of it and it fits the best of any fedora type hat Ive ever owned.

Maybe Im snooty about this one thing. But at 52 I think thats ok. I dont have a cigar to go with it or a tommy gun.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Pretty sure that's the one our CostCo has always carried. The new one, I think, is the one second from the right.

Black Lives Matter

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

"a small incoherence"

Ain't that the truth... :wink:

Black Lives Matter

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

We have this round these parts

Enlarge Image
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:20 pm We have this round these parts

Enlarge Image
I used to get cans of chilis and concoctions of stuff all of them time but then I tried that 505 and now I feel like a snob. Meijer, Ro*Tel, Old El Paso, *pshaw*. 505 to make whatever it is I'm making or it's just not worth making at all.
stessier

Post by stessier »

ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:38 pm And we have closed on the sale of the old house! It's such a relief to have that taken care of.
Congratulations! Getting down to one house is one of the best feelings ever.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

stessier wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:58 pm
ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:38 pm And we have closed on the sale of the old house! It's such a relief to have that taken care of.
Congratulations! Getting down to one house is one of the best feelings ever.
Getting up to one house was one of the best feelings ever until I had to start maintaining it... and property values went poopoo but the payment remained the same.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:17 pm Ran the scanners I have..just Security Essential and MalwareBytes. Will look for others. Can always delete them afterwards.

My only clue is it was a month or so after fully updating my OS and less than a week after the huge Twitch leak . Though I dont use multiple passwords with twitch and its a separate one anyways.
Are you still using Windows7?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Exodor wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:21 pm
Daehawk wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:17 pm Ran the scanners I have..just Security Essential and MalwareBytes. Will look for others. Can always delete them afterwards.

My only clue is it was a month or so after fully updating my OS and less than a week after the huge Twitch leak . Though I dont use multiple passwords with twitch and its a separate one anyways.
Are you still using Windows7?
Security Essentials doesn't run on 10, so that likely answers the question.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

For those who care, I tried password managers but now I keep all my passwords with their associated information in a text file, which I keep encrypted on an encrypted volume which I mount only if I need the information. I also keep a paper copy in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying “Beware of The Leopard“ :wink:
Brian

Post by Brian »

Right next to the paperwork for the new bypass?
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I may just make new ones and write them down. Get me a paper tablet. I wasn't comp'd it was companies using better OS stuff than me. I think the main pos in this is twitch. Lousy security guys..lousy.